Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What the colts need to contend in 2019

CR91

A consistent edge rusher, a pocket pushing DT, and a true WR2 is what we need in order to reach that elite team status. On top of that, another talent at safety, plus LB and Oline depth won’t hurt.

I honestly don’t think corner is as high of a need. If we have a strong front 7, in this Defense, we can make do with our current group. That being said, I’d still draft a corner with a mid to late pick (someone with a high ceiling) to develop. Moore, Wilson, and Desir I think are a solid group. 

• Like 1

Adam Humphries would be a great sign 

Landon Collins would be a great sign and partner for hooker 

Any of the big pass rushers hit the open market (Ford,Clowney,Lawrence,Clark) 

Insane amount of cap space, sign our own Desir, glows, etc and go big game hunting 

I think I’m gonna list WR as my biggest need this offseason. A lot of our catches came in high traffic. There were not a lot of wide open catches this year. And our YAC was pitiful.  Luck can’t make guys like Rogers and Grant better than they are. If Rogers comes back next season he needs to be on returns only. I’m ok with bringing back Inman, but only as a #3. 

If Doyle can stay healthy next season I’d like to see us run more two TE sets. They primarily used Ebron in the red zone when Doyle was healthy. Defenses have their hands full trying to cover just one of those guys. Putting them both out there is going to draw safety helps, which, guess what? Opens up opportunities for receivers outside to make something happen. 

Pass rush is our #2 need. We actually rushed the passer well at times this season. (Anyone remember that time we were leading the league in sacks as a team?) Upgrading the interior could definitely help the ends. We have some flexibility here, which is nice. 

Third for me is safety. Geathers is there, Fairley is there. Hooker is good, but let’s be honest here: he’s not setting the world on fire. He’s not scaring QBs from throwing his way. And he’s starting to develop some durability concerns. 

The corners shook off a rough, rough start to the season to play pretty well down the stretch. I’m not actually too concerned with upgrading the position unless it’s a really can’t pass up player. I think this group will be fine for another season. 

We could use another linebacker. I said last week that Kelce was going to shred us. TEs did all season. Lot of people ignored it. Said it wouldn’t be that bad. It was that bad. A couple teams took advantage of that this season getting 3 and even 4 TEs involved in their passing game. Let’s try to shut the door on that. 

Pass Rusher, Pass Rusher, Pass Rusher.

Lewis > Turay. Sheard is decent, but I believe he's better at stuffing the run. Colts need a play maker at DE.  

WR - Golden Tate please. Inman should definitely get re-signed, and I know Cain is waiting in the wings (who knows how he'll do) but they definitely need another great WR to compliment TY.  

Safety- Hooker being gone was definitely felt in KC. I love him and he's good, but he's not very durable. Fairley is really solid, and Geathers is also hurt a lot. Safety has to be looked at, because Odum is not the answer. 

CB - I'm going to say it....I think Quincy Wilson isn't very good. He's super inconsistent, and shies away from contact. He doesn't seem near as good in zone as he was in man coverage (which he was ok at). Desir and Moore are great, but the Colts need another good CB. 

DT - definitely need some inside presence. Al Woods going down really hurt the interior. He allowed Hunt and Autry to get more one on ones. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

WR - Golden Tate please. Inman should definitely get re-signed, and I know Cain is waiting in the wings (who knows how he'll do) but they definitely need another great WR to compliment TY.  

WR seems to be so hit or miss in the draft this is one spot Id definitely try to get an established player in free agency. We dont need a game breaker for $16 mil a year (we have Hilton for that) but we could do much much worse than guys like Tate, Cobb or Williams from the Chargers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

WR seems to be so hit or miss in the draft this is one spot Id definitely try to get an established player in free agency. We dont need a game breaker for $16 mil a year (we have Hilton for that) but we could do much much worse than guys like Tate, Cobb or Williams from the Chargers.

I would be very happy if we got Williams. He's a fighter and he's has some good technique when schemed correctly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

The corners shook off a rough, rough start to the season to play pretty well down the stretch. I’m not actually too concerned with upgrading the position unless it’s a really can’t pass up player. I think this group will be fine for another season. 

they were very young.  wilson is still just 22 and wont be 23 until august.  moore is 23 

21 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

I like Iowa State wide receiver Hakeem Butler. He is 6'6" 225 and can run. 

He looks like a great prospect...and would definitely be a big body WR we need. Would almost create a TE type match-up in the slot, like Ebron, would be very excited to get him.

What we need for 2018 is simple going forward our HC is in place with a system that works now given a off season with a QB who can now participate in work outs & a  preseason which he did nothing much last year is the first 2 steps , secondly we now have a pretty good offensive line for the first time in a decade plus we have a running Game for the first time in decade with youth on both sides of the ball we saw a lot of growing pains they are now behind the Colts add in Eberflus did a great job in his first year as DC give him pass rushers & IMO the defense will get much better . 

Bottom line is Ballard drafts pass rushers & a WR TY is a ghost a good player not a great player he is no Marvin Harrison & the offense needs 1 badly IMHO .

Everyone wants the big monster at WR, but I just watched Julian Edelman and James White destroy the Chargers yesterday. And that's not the first time that formula has worked against a good defense in the playoffs. Edelman might be the toughest receiver in the league, and White set a record for catches in a playoff game (two years after setting a record for catches in a Super Bowl).

I want receivers that get separation quickly, make tough catches, have reliable hands, and get yards after the catch. I don't care if they're 5'9" or 6'4". Producing playmakers is what we need.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

I like Iowa State wide receiver Hakeem Butler. He is 6'6" 225 and can run. 

What is the knock on this guy?  I don't see him mentioned with the top prospects, but he obviously has more than ideal size and from that video has some breakaway speed.

32 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

What is the knock on this guy?  I don't see him mentioned with the top prospects, but he obviously has more than ideal size and from that video has some breakaway speed.

This guy (H. Butler) would be a HUGE upgrade to what we have now

I have seen him compared to Plaxico Burris (I think he has a higher upside)

I hope (but doubt) that he will still be on the board on our second pick in round 2 

If we can SOMEHOW, pry away someone like Trey Flowers away in FA

I would go with the best UT on the board

THEN

Pick up Butler with our pick from the Jets

Then get BPA

S, LB, CB, OT

Same Same.....next 4 picks

7 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

The best WR in the draft, by far, is Marquise "Hollywood" Brown. He would make the offense unstoppable. 

He's so small, I'm not sure how long he'd last in the NFL.

I'm always leery about any WR coming out of college.  I thought Treadwell would have mad a splash, he was a stud in college.  There's probably a first/second round bust for every one that makes it.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Everyone wants the big monster at WR, but I just watched Julian Edelman and James White destroy the Chargers yesterday. And that's not the first time that formula has worked against a good defense in the playoffs. Edelman might be the toughest receiver in the league, and White set a record for catches in a playoff game (two years after setting a record for catches in a Super Bowl).

I want receivers that get separation quickly, make tough catches, have reliable hands, and get yards after the catch. I don't care if they're 5'9" or 6'4". Producing playmakers is what we need.

Those are precisely the type of receivers we need if we are going to make Luck get rid off the ball quickly. If your offense relies on your QB to quickly pass the ball, you need weapons that can get open quickly or can make plays YAC-wise around the LOS(screen plays, trick plays, etc). 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Those are precisely the type of receivers we need if we are going to make Luck get rid off the ball quickly. If your offense relies on your QB to quickly pass the ball, you need weapons that can get open quickly or can make plays YAC-wise around the LOS(screen plays, trick plays, etc). 

2 guys that fit that mold that are being overlooked are AJ Brown and Riley Ridley. Ridley in particular has the best releases of the line of anyone in this class. The way he sets the DB’s up is impressive, and I think he’s going to be better than his brother. Brown may just be a big slot, but he’s good at it.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

2 guys that fit that mold that are being overlooked are AJ Brown and Riley Ridley. Ridley in particular has the best releases of the line of anyone in this class. The way he sets the DB’s up is impressive, and I think he’s going to be better than his brother. Brown may just be a big slot, but he’s good at it.

To add to your list - I have not been huge fan of him, but N'Keal Harry has some insane YAC reps. he is strong and explosive and makes people miss. A ton of his receptions were at or around the LOS and he was relied to just make things happen and gain yards trucking or juking the opponents.  I think I prefer him to AJ Brown. Paris Campbell is another one that needs to be in consideration. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

That's why i'm on the Andy Isabella train. Looks like an Edelman clone.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

To add to your list - I have not been huge fan of him, but N'Keal Harry has some insane YAC reps. he is strong and explosive and makes people miss. A ton of his receptions were at or around the LOS and he was relied to just make things happen and gain yards trucking or juking the opponents.  I think I prefer him to AJ Brown. Paris Campbell is another one that needs to be in consideration. 

Harry doesn’t look that fast on tape, and doesn’t seem to play how his size suggest he should. Like you said, he’s more of a guy who can turn nothing into something. I also like Deebo Samuel. We needs guys who can consistently get open, because Hilton is the only receiver who does at the moment. If Harry can get open and then do what he does in the open field, I’m all for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Harry doesn’t look that fast on tape, and doesn’t seem to play how his size suggest he should. Like you said, he’s more of a guy who can turn nothing into something. I also like Deebo Samuel. We needs guys who can consistently get open, because Hilton is the only receiver who does at the moment. If Harry can get open and then do what he does in the open field, I’m all for it.

He's not fast but he's explosive. I don't know how to explain it exactly. He has some acceleration and start stop ability as well as ability to just truck over people. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

He's not fast but he's explosive. I don't know how to explain it exactly. He has some acceleration and start stop ability as well as ability to just truck over people. 

I’m sure we’ll talk about it more during the draft but, do you think he can beat press coverage?

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I like them both.  Ridley seems to be on the radar less than Brown.

No Metcalf love? He looked great before his season ending injury. He was on the same pace for AJ Brown's stats (teammate). He's also built like a tank and will provide that physical outside receiver we desperately need. He's been consistently mocked in the 15-25 range 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Christian Kirk was such a good fit. Maybe with the new coaching staff in AZ...Ballard can trick them into trading to the Colts for a 4th rounder. Kidding...sort of. 

But that's the type of WR this team should be looking for. A big WR could help as well...but they need a guy who can get open and get YAC.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Superman said:

Give me a guy like Reggie Wayne who can run great routes and get open on just about every play and be the security blanket Luck so desperately needs when he gets rattled.  

• Like 1

Getting some of these premiere FA's is not impossible, but you have to be willing to overpay to get them and make them want to leave their current teams.  I'm not sure I see Ballard doing too much of that.  Normally, I would agree with that plan,  but this is one year I sort of hope I'm wrong.

10 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Christian Kirk was such a good fit. Maybe with the new coaching staff in AZ...Ballard can trick them into trading to the Colts for a 4th rounder. Kidding...sort of. 

But that's the type of WR this team should be looking for. A big WR could help as well...but they need a guy who can get open and get YAC.

I said he was my favorite WR in the draft last year, but I tend to favor quick technicians anyways. These are the kind of receivers that go on Day 2.

47 minutes ago, Superman said:

I said he was my favorite WR in the draft last year, but I tend to favor quick technicians anyways. These are the kind of receivers that go on Day 2.

He's a playmaking machine...like the WR version of Kamara. He just has another gear that others don't and terrific vision. 

This 59 yard TD off a screen pass against OAK is exactly the type of plays he could be making for the Colts: https://www.azcardinals.com/video/kirk-turns-on-the-jets-for-59-yard-td

Colts just need to find the guy this year that resembles Kirk...and actually draft him this time.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:27 PM, NorthernBlue said:

A consistent edge rusher, a pocket pushing DT, and a true WR2 is what we need in order to reach that elite team status. On top of that, another talent at safety, plus LB and Oline depth won’t hurt.

I honestly don’t think corner is as high of a need. If we have a strong front 7, in this Defense, we can make do with our current group. That being said, I’d still draft a corner with a mid to late pick (someone with a high ceiling) to develop. Moore, Wilson, and Desir I think are a solid group. 

I agree with this assessment. It's not what any one new player will bring to the mix but what it frees up and allows the other players to focus on. (The sum is greater than the parts). I think we are very close.