Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Power Running Game

Smonroe

I know I’m sounding like a broken record, but this is what I’m hoping for next season.   

We now have the Oline to accomplish this.  We need a big back who can consistently get four tough yard.  That’s how you wear down defense and open up the passing game even more than it was this year.  It’s how you close out games.

I’m not saying we move away from Mack, just that he becomes the complementary RB.  Williams may be the guy, or maybe we get a guy in the draft.  

This isn’t an overreaction to the Rams game, I’ve been on this bandwagon all year. 

• Like 2

Looming at last night - our run blocking wasn't great - Glowinski in particular.  We had runs blown up in the backfield, putting us in long down and distance 

I think we went into last night with the idea of grinding it out in the snow, but when the D allows them to march to 17 points as easily as they did,  it goes out the window.  After the blocked punt, it went right to 24... with ease.  

Big back or not, to run the ball like you are suggesting, you have to play complementary football - you have to block and play some D.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I know I’m sounding like a broken record, but this is what I’m hoping for next season.   

We now have the Oline to accomplish this.  We need a big back who can consistently get four tough yard.  That’s how you wear down defense and open up the passing game even more than it was this year.  It’s how you close out games.

I’m not saying we move away from Mack, just that he becomes the complementary RB.  Williams may be the guy, or maybe we get a guy in the draft.  

This isn’t an overreaction to the Rams game, I’ve been on this bandwagon all year. 

I agree 100% with this

If you saw the impact of Anderson on the RAMs last night, you get this.........

The good news, is that we dont have to give up the farm to get this type of person

And..... to your point.... we have the line to make this happen

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Mack proved he has enough power to be the lead back.
A huge majority see what you are getting at. I will bet some monopoly $$$ Ballard adds our guy. Give me a quality, speedy bowling ball prospect to add to the arsenal.  Maybe he does beat Mack out. yada yada   

8 minutes ago, #12. said:

Looming at last night - our run blocking wasn't great - Glowinski in particular.  We had runs blown up in the backfield, putting us in long down and distance 

I think we went into last night with the idea of grinding it out in the snow, but when the D allows them to march to 17 points as easily as they did,  it goes out the window.  After the blocked punt, it went right to 24... with ease.  

Big back or not, to run the ball like you are suggesting, you have to play complementary football - you have to block and play some D.

It looks like Glow faded the last few weeks. I remember him whiffing blocks badly on a few occasions in the last 3 games.

He's a spot (RG) that can be upgraded for sure. Not bashing the guy, but he's definitely upgradeable.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, #12. said:

Our 1st two drives ended on 3rd and short. 3rd and 2/ 3rd and 3. If I'm not mistaken, we ran no back sets on both of those plays. Frank didn't give them a chance to establish the run. Our run blocking was there. Don't mistake those two big plays in the backfield made by Ford and the other guy. Our line was getting push, but Frank didn't commit to it. Mack could've easily ran for 150+ yesterday. 

A few years ago, Mack and Hines would be considered the "off" back.  With this offense they are the type of backs that are the main back.  We need an off back who can run tough without having to put two hands on the ball and duck his head upon initial contact.

And if we could have drove the field to score a TD on any of the non 2 minute drives, it might have changed the complexion of the game, especially since the punt gave us free points.  We should have been more patient.....if nothing else to at least try to keep our O on the field and their O off.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I was thinking about that last night.   Mack took the whole ground game on his shoulders and must have been exhausted by the fourth quarter, when we saw traces of Wilkins and Hines.  I wonder if the rushing yards would have been higher if they would have seen the field earlier and intermittently.  

Maybe we blame Glowinski too much. Our power running game requires pulling guards, tackles and tightends. When you pull you sometimes leave people unblocked on the backside. As good as Reich had been all season he failed to compensate for KCs pursuit speed from the back side. He was out coached this game but will learn from it. We won’t throw Glowinski under the bus but will scheme better next time. KC exposed our scheme to all the rest of the league and we have to fix it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Solon said:

Our 1st two drives ended on 3rd and short. 3rd and 2/ 3rd and 3. If I'm not mistaken, we ran no back sets on both of those plays. Frank didn't give them a chance to establish the run. Our run blocking was there. Don't mistake those two big plays in the backfield made by Ford and the other guy. Our line was getting push, but Frank didn't commit to it. Mack could've easily ran for 150+ yesterday. 

3rd and 3 is not a run down, and no you can't ignore the fact we were in 2nd and 13, 2nd and 16 and the D was allowing them to do anything at will.  Nothing about that situation screamed keep running the ball to me.

The one situation I would have run it - after the fumble.

• Like 1

Prior to the 2:00 minute drive, we only had three drives in the first half.  You want to complain about something?  Complain about Ebron dopping the ball on one 3rd down, not getting to the sticks on another and the defense not being able to stop a nose bleed, giving up 24 points on 4 drives.   Those were much bigger problems.

40 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why we quit trying to run when we were only down 7-0 I will never know. Then we didn’t even keep them guessing with all the empty backfield plays.

I think the coaches got scared as the Chiefs  scored quickly and thought our D was out manned.  It's a learning experience.  What it told me when thru abandoned the run is that the coaches had little faith in the D

C J Anderson ran all his life in a ZBS and the Rams' ZBS was tailor made for him. They ran Gurley into the ground and it showed towards the last few games of the year and lucked into C J Anderson, who could start for a few teams, IMO. I expect Sean McVay to pare down Gurley's carries next year especially if they retain C J Anderson. Not good for Gurley fantasy owners but good for the Rams. 

RBs like Mack are the modern flavor in the NFL and a later round RB I really like that plays with a chip on his shoulder is Josh Jacobs of Alabama. He is not as hyped as Damien Harris but I like him better for the next level and he can catch better than Mack but run between the tackles as good or better than Mack, IMO.

If we want a guy in FA to complement Mack right away, may I suggest Latavius Murray??? I think he would be the perfect signing. 

29 minutes ago, atapcl said:

Maybe we blame Glowinski too much. Our power running game requires pulling guards, tackles and tightends. When you pull you sometimes leave people unblocked on the backside. As good as Reich had been all season he failed to compensate for KCs pursuit speed from the back side. He was out coached this game but will learn from it. We won’t throw Glowinski under the bus but will scheme better next time. KC exposed our scheme to all the rest of the league and we have to fix it.

Thank you. That one play the guy blew through Glow was a defender waiting for that set and showed great quickness. Glow just couldn't get any leverage.
 Great preparation, great result. ugh. for them.
They also blew around AC and Smith. That was so destructive to the whole Offense.

Anyone think the CB mission is to build a team that can Host and beat KC?
 Mahomes in my nightmares. You wanna be a Great QB, play shortstop all the way through H.S is a good idea. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

The Rams last night, with Gurley, and Anderson showed how effective  this scenario could help in the running game. 

They remind me of Addai and Rhodes during our SB run, and if they make it to the SB, that tandem can keep Mahomes on the sidelines, hands down, and expose KC's biggest weakness vs the run. They will be playing in a neutral field after all and Goff won't have to worry about cold weather. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, #12. said:

Prior to the 2:00 minute drive, we only had three drives in the first half.  You want to complain about something?  Complain about Ebron dopping the ball on one 3rd down, not getting to the sticks on another and the defense not being able to stop a nose bleed, giving up 24 points on 4 drives.   Those were much bigger problems.

Not sure who this directed at since you didn’t quote.  

My post wasn’t in response to last nights game. A power RB would have had the same fate if we continuously left the DE unblocked.  That has to be addressed either way.  

Look at it as you would another speedy WR or Edge rusher.  It’s a talent or weapon we don’t really have on the roster.  And now we have the Oline to make him effective.