Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reality check

r a y s k i

1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

There are many kinds of zone defense, including hybrids. Each can be compared with man-2-man, some more favorably. One size does not fit all.

OK.....

But I was responding to the OP who said we'd never win big playing a zone defense.   I'm simply saying Ballard belives we can and that we're playing the defense he believes in and so does Eberflus.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

OK.....

But I was responding to the OP who said we'd never win big playing a zone defense.   I'm simply saying Ballard belives we can and that we're playing the defense he believes in and so does Eberflus.

I would hope people  - especially fans - could avoid making faulty over-generalizations. Eberflus probably tries to match specific implementations of a zone defense strategy to the personnel he has and the competition he faces. If that isn't obvious, fans should not try and compete with Eberflus. They'd lose.

2 hours ago, CoachLite said:

I would hope people  - especially fans - could avoid making faulty over-generalizations. Eberflus probably tries to match specific implementations of a zone defense strategy to the personnel he has and the competition he faces. If that isn't obvious, fans should not try and compete with Eberflus. They'd lose.

That’s been my challenge to when people have raised that Cover 2 Zone isn’t effective in the NFL. If it’s that truly glaringly redundant to us armchair fans then no self doubt respecting football brain would let it anywhere near their team surely? 

I think some of the later breakdowns of the defence, especially when it when ok quite a decent run towards the end of the season showed it wasn’t quite as simple/vanilla as people believed it to be.