Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A few notes on the Colts rookies

21isSuperman

The other day, I was reading a football magazine and went to their analysis of the Colts. It was a 4 page analysis that seemed to be spot on with everything I saw last year, so the author seems credible, it wasn't just another guy saying "Another great regular season with playoff disappointment for Peyton". The writer (I forget who it was) said that Drake Nevis could be the steal of the draft and Chris Rucker would have been a potential 2nd round pick if it weren't for his off-field issues. Then the other day I was watching NFL Network and Mike Mayock was asked who he said could be a big offensive contributor outside of the first 2 rounds. He went with Delone Carter who "surprisingly fell to the 4th round". Mike also said he could see Carter taking over Addai's job. It's nice to see that our rookies seem like they will be very impactful, but I don't but that Addai would lose his job to Carter.

I liked our draft a lot, and I don't know how much they'll contribute this year but they'll be a big factor in Super Bowl runs in the future hopefully. I wonder how much the lockout is going to hurt the rookies' development next season.

A running back that I really want over Donald Brown is Jerome Harisson, and he's only gonna take up 750K at most. Anyways, that's off-topic, and about Carter, that's good to hear, I'd like to see him compete for the starting job.

Here's a great assessment on Carter by ESPN, Article discusses all afc south team RB's

By Paul Kuharsky

Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson takes on the AFC South running backs in this Insider piece Tuesday. You know the division is loaded with talented run games when Arian Foster and the Texans rank third. Here’s a sampling of Williamson’s assessment, with some reaction from me.

Indianapolis Colts

Williamson: He fears Joseph Addai’s best years may be behind him already, but as a solid dump-off threat and a trustworthy piece for Peyton Manning, he believes Addai is more valuable to the Colts than he would be to anyone else.

The most interesting piece of this write-up is on rookie Delone Carter:

“It might not happen right away, especially with the lockout situation, but I honestly would not be shocked if Carter became the No. 1 option at running back.

“This guy is a brute. He is built low and like a brick wall. And yet he is quite nimble. Carter is a decisive runner who will stick his foot in the ground and get downhill with conviction. He should be excellent in short-yardage situations and near the goal line. Indianapolis has not had such a running back in some time. As with any rookie runner, pass protection could take some time, but his competitiveness and build imply that he could eventually excel at keeping Manning clean in the pocket. He could use work as a receiver as well. He's the type of runner who can consistently keep Indianapolis ahead of the down. When Manning sees favorable numbers in the box, Carter should excel. Carter could put the Colts' opponents away once Indianapolis gets a firm lead late in games. Don't underestimate how important that is. The selection of Carter could go down as the best value pick in the draft.”

Kuharsky: I completely agree about Addai -- he’s a better back in this system than he would be elsewhere. The Colts have talked of dipping into free agency a bit. If Reggie Bush is available and affordable, I believe they’d consider him and look to pair him, rather than Addai, with Carter.

My link

Here's a great assessment on Carter by ESPN, Article discusses all afc south team RB's

By Paul Kuharsky

Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson takes on the AFC South running backs in this Insider piece Tuesday. You know the division is loaded with talented run games when Arian Foster and the Texans rank third. Here’s a sampling of Williamson’s assessment, with some reaction from me.

Indianapolis Colts

Williamson: He fears Joseph Addai’s best years may be behind him already, but as a solid dump-off threat and a trustworthy piece for Peyton Manning, he believes Addai is more valuable to the Colts than he would be to anyone else.

The most interesting piece of this write-up is on rookie Delone Carter:

“It might not happen right away, especially with the lockout situation, but I honestly would not be shocked if Carter became the No. 1 option at running back.

“This guy is a brute. He is built low and like a brick wall. And yet he is quite nimble. Carter is a decisive runner who will stick his foot in the ground and get downhill with conviction. He should be excellent in short-yardage situations and near the goal line. Indianapolis has not had such a running back in some time. As with any rookie runner, pass protection could take some time, but his competitiveness and build imply that he could eventually excel at keeping Manning clean in the pocket. He could use work as a receiver as well. He's the type of runner who can consistently keep Indianapolis ahead of the down. When Manning sees favorable numbers in the box, Carter should excel. Carter could put the Colts' opponents away once Indianapolis gets a firm lead late in games. Don't underestimate how important that is. The selection of Carter could go down as the best value pick in the draft.”

Kuharsky: I completely agree about Addai -- he’s a better back in this system than he would be elsewhere. The Colts have talked of dipping into free agency a bit. If Reggie Bush is available and affordable, I believe they’d consider him and look to pair him, rather than Addai, with Carter.

My link

I read that yesterday and have to agree that Carter is going to suprise some people. I am a long time Syracuse fan and can tell you this kid flew waaay under the radar by lasting until the 4th round.

I think this was our best draft in years. I think they will all make an impact this season. I'm just not sure when Ijalana will get minutes this year. I know Costanzo will start day 1, but Ijalana might take some time. We will see soon enough though.

Not trying to be a downer but every year it seems like we get excited about the prospect of our most recent draft class making an immediate impact only for it to fall somewhat short of our expectations.

I'm worried about this season because I think we're still a year away from getting back to the old predictably dominant 12-win team ...this year we have a brutal schedule and this lockout is undoubtedly hurting the development of our rookies and around the league (I remember reading scouting reports saying that Ijalana needs alot of work as a pass protector)

I think it might hurt us more because we have alot invested in these rooks to shore up one of our most glaring weaknesses last season and given important their roles are going to be with protecting Manning I shudder to think of what might happen if they made any of their inevitable rookie mistakes (I saw footage of Vladimir Ducasse almost literally get Sanchez killed repeatedly last night on a re-run of Hard Knocks)

As for Addai, I couldn't possibly see how he could be unseated if he came back given his excellence in pass-protection and as a threat out the backfield ...I feel comparing him to Carter is apples to oranges.

A running back that I really want over Donald Brown is Jerome Harisson, and he's only gonna take up 750K at most. Anyways, that's off-topic, and about Carter, that's good to hear, I'd like to see him compete for the starting job.

What happened to Harrison? I remember he was playing well for Cleveland a few years ago, then he got traded to Philly and I didn't hear much of him again.

Not trying to be a downer but every year it seems like we get excited about the prospect of our most recent draft class making an immediate impact only for it to fall somewhat short of our expectations.

Everyone's excited this time of year. Especially now since there is technically no football. I think it's important to make sure the rookies are held accountable (which Peyton will do), but we can't have insanely high expectations for them. We can't expect Castonzo to be Jake Long and Ijalana to be Mankins or Joe Thomas. Let the rookies learn and do their thing with Peyton at the helm.

I think this was our best draft in years. I think they will all make an impact this season. I'm just not sure when Ijalana will get minutes this year. I know Costanzo will start day 1, but Ijalana might take some time. We will see soon enough though.

I agree, well said. And why is it going to be the best in years? Cos Ol' Billy Big Shoes Polian handed over the reigns to his boy.

I agree, well said. And why is it going to be the best in years? Cos Ol' Billy Big Shoes Polian handed over the reigns to his boy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was mainly Chris' draft. Usually Bill has the bigger say in draft picks, but this time he let Chris make most of the decisions. I'm not sure if that's true, but I think I remember reading it somewhere

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was mainly Chris' draft. Usually Bill has the bigger say in draft picks, but this time he let Chris make most of the decisions. I'm not sure if that's true, but I think I remember reading it somewhere

Yes Super'. That's what I meant. Bill has been awful these past few years, so with someone else making the major decisions, it's got to be better.

I think you might be wrong actually. A lot of people are calling this "Chris Polians draft" but I'm pretty sure in one of the Polian Corners, towards the end of the season, Bill said that he had given Chris a lot more of the draft responsibilities in the last two years, but this year Chris was going to handle most of the administrative stuff and Bill was going take the lead on the draft.

Either way it looks like a good draft so far. The last two drafts I think will go down as good ones as well. The week spot is the #1 picks but after that they look pretty solid and the jury is till out on Hughes and to a much lesser degree Brown.

I expect Delone Carter to be a huge player for the Colts and to make the 2011 Rookie Team

I don't know if I expect big things from him. We still have Addai (assuming he is resigned) and Brown has another year under his belt. I'm hoping we keep Hart, but that doesn't seem likely. I don't think Carter will get a lot of playing time