Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich : The Chiefs outcoached and outplayed us .

HOF19

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think it’s more we got a false since from what the Colts did after starting 1-5.  They played bad teams except for the Texans and Cowboys who are on their level but they beat.  They didn’t play any of the four “power house” teams during that span.  Until today they had only played one and frankly the New England game wasn’t as close as the score said.  

I agree they far surpassed what most people thought they would do this season, and in some cases made people’s pre-season predictions look stupid remember 2-14?  Fans should be proud of this team and this season.

Yeah today hurt and was ugly but most post-season loses are.  If they were pretty they would probably be wins.  

The future is bright but not guranted.  This team has holes to fill, another WR, a pass rusher, a linebacker who can cover tightnends, maybe a kicker and maybe a starting right guard on the line.  

I think Glow did a good job this season and far surpassed my expectations but hes the weak point on the line.  Teams started attacking him late in the season and we saw it again today.  One of the signs they are winning are The pentalies he draws because when a lineman gets beat they hold.  I am not saying he’s a bum and has to be upgraded but with him as a free agent it’s a position the Colts might go in a different direction on.  

Maybe Smith gets moved inside after all. He got destroyed by their speed rushers.
Just a thought.  Maybe he decides to add a RT with LT potential.
What will Ballard do?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Classy response from Reich.     No surprise to me.

A bad last game is not going to ruin a great season as a Colts fan for me.

Looking forward to an even better 2019!

:colts:

Agreed. We overachieved this season and it was a fun ride. We have lots of cap room and another draft with 9 picks this year. We'll be even better in the 2019 season and make another nice run! :thmup:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We could of still ran. It was only 2 possessions at the time. That's on Reich for panicking. They also made a lot of plays as well. Not a lot you can do Vs the Chiefs. The O-Line is what was horrible.

The Defense Did Not play well, especially in the 1st qtr. However, the way our offense and Luck played, we wouldn't have won if we had the '85 Bears Defense.

This was a Un-Winnable game with the way the offense stunk the field up!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The Defense Did Not play well, especially in the 1st qtr. However, the way our offense and Luck played, we wouldn't have won if we had the '85 Bears Defense.

This was a Un-Winnable game with the way the offense stunk the field up!

Luck and the O-Line played a lot worse than I expected. I'm not really sure if it was just a talent issue, or what went wrong. I'm probably giving the defense more credit than they deserved because I'm trying to find a positive and they made some plays (sacks, forced fumbles etc..). It is what it is though, We were underdogs, and more times than not, we are going to lose this game. I'm disappointed we didn't get to the AFC title game, but I can't be mad seeing how the year went. We just need better talent.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Luck and the O-Line played a lot worse than I expected. I'm not really sure if it was just a talent issue, or what went wrong. I'm probably giving the defense more credit than they deserved because I'm trying to find a positive and they made some plays (sacks, forced fumbles etc..). It is what it is though, We were underdogs, and more times than not, we are going to lose this game. I'm disappointed we didn't get to the AFC title game, but I can't be mad seeing how the year went. We just need better talent.

True.

But I'm very disappointed in Reich's gameplan(or lack of) AND Luck's performance. I don't understand why he played so bad? 

Just now, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

True.

But I'm very disappointed in Reich's gameplan(or lack of) AND Luck's performance. I don't understand why he played so bad? 

Maybe the cold bothered him more than we thought?  He doesn’t have a lot of history of cold weather games either.

The real reason is probably that QBs have streaks like any other players.  He had been hot since the Jags game but he didn’t play well in the second half of the Texans game only going 3 of 10 and then today happened.  It could be he was on a bad streak.  

That and KC’s defense played out of its mind.  They probably made Andrew uncomfortable and when you make QBs uncomfortable they don’t play well.  

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

True.

I can explain. Reich went completely away from the running game for most of this game. He decided he wanted to play a shootout Vs Patrick Mahomes and it failed. What also went wrong is how well their front 7 matched up Vs our O-Line. We weren't ready for their speed LBers. Jones also gave Nelson some trouble. Once they got ahead, we abandoned the run game completely, and they prepared for the pass every down. Reich was outcoached.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I can explain. Reich went completely away from the running game for most of this game. He decided he wanted to play a shootout Vs Patrick Mahomes and it failed. What also went wrong is how well their front 7 matched up Vs our O-Line. We weren't ready for their speed LBers. Jones also gave Nelson some trouble. Once they got ahead, we abandoned the run game completely, and they prepared for the pass every down. Reich was outcoached.

I think what makes this sting to some here is what KC did to the Colts today is what we were dying to see from Peyton’s Colts in the playoffs, get a lead make other team play from behind so they have to throw and then get after the QB and outside of a two or three games we never really got to see it from Peyton’s Colts in the playoffs.  So that makes it sting more.  

There is no question Reid gave Reich a lesson on playoff gameplanning today.  If you watched the pre-game show Dungy hinted in his interview with Reich that his game plan wasn’t a good one when he said “if I were coaching I’d think we need to run the ball and chew the clock but you aren’t thinking that you are going to let it rip”  Frank then said we expect to score every time.  The problem is the Colts haven’t been that type of team.  When they have won this year they have done it with ball control and long drives. I think Frank got a little too caught up in the idea that they could keep pace with KC and that his defense would get a big turnover that would be the difference maker.

The real key becomes does he learn from it.  Coaches don’t like to change things.  They have their principles and what they believe in and that’s what they do no matter what because it’s what works and if they execute it will work.  Honestly I think the hoody’s secrect is he’s one of the few that doesn’t fall into that trap.  If what they are doing isn’t working he stops and does something else and keeps trying until they figure out what does work.  I hope Reich learns from this and the next time we see KC he plays things differently.  Use the no huddle more.  That was the only time the offense was able to get going.  Stick with the run somemore, get Mack on the outside If you can.  Teach Luck to pump fake.  On defense don’t over worry about Hill at the expense of letting everyone else eat you alive.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think what makes this sting to some here is what KC did to the Colts today is what we were dying to see from Peyton’s Colts in the playoffs, get a lead make other team play from behind so they have to throw and then get after the QB and outside of a two or three games we never really got to see it from Peyton’s Colts in the playoffs.  So that makes it sting more.  

There is no question Reid gave Reich a lesson on playoff gameplanning today.  If you watched the pre-game show Dungy hinted in his interview with Reich that his game plan wasn’t a good one when he said “if I were coaching I’d think we need to run the ball and chew the clock but you aren’t thinking that you are going to let it rip”  Frank then said we expect to score every time.  The problem is the Colts haven’t been that type of team.  When they have won this year they have done it with ball control and long drives. I think Frank got a little too caught up in the idea that they could keep pace with KC and that his defense would get a big turnover that would be the difference maker.

The real key becomes does he learn from it.  Coaches don’t like to change things.  They have their principles and what they believe in and that’s what they do no matter what because it’s what works and if they execute it will work.  Honestly I think the hoody’s secrect is he’s one of the few that doesn’t fall into that trap.  If what they are doing isn’t working he stops and does something else and keeps trying until they figure out what does work.  I hope Reich learns from this and the next time we see KC he plays things differently.  Use the no huddle more.  That was the only time the offense was able to get going.  Stick with the run somemore, get Mack on the outside If you can.  Teach Luck to pump fake.  On defense don’t over worry about Hill at the expense of letting everyone else eat you alive.  

Great post. 100% agree. :thmup:

Reich is right. In reality we got beat by a better team at their place who has a Head Coach that has coached for years. Reich is a rookie Head Coach and we are really in a rebuild process and still made the Elite 8. We beat Houston to regain AFC South supremacy as well. We got punched in the mouth from the start by a team that was fresh and hungry (coming off a Bye), we looked a team that was worn out and have been fighting for our Playoff lives since October which we have. We got smoked but this was nothing like the 2014 AFC Title Game when we lost 45-7, things went downhill after that. I think our future is really bright and we will better next season with another Draft and Free Agency. I am still very pleased with our season and put this season in my Top 5 of Colts seasons since being here in Indianapolis for 35 seasons. 

-One last note, at least we lost to a QB that is Great as well, Mahomes will win MVP. We did not lose to no scrub. As much as people may want to bash Luck today, Luck was clearly the 3rd best QB in the league this season only behind Mahomes and Brees.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nothing but respect for Reich.

We looked like what I expected to be honest.  I expected more of a fight, but we didn't look lost, just no ready...which is a HUGE difference.

We had a rookie head coach, coaching in the playoffs for the first time as a HC against a perennial playoff HC.

We were the youngest team in the playoffs by far, so I expected us to make a lot of mental mistakes and penalties.

And tbh, we still could have won this game.  The first half was ugly, but the game was winnable.  I am ok with this.  If we would've beat KC I would've been surprised.  I am not surprised that we did not win.  

This team is headed places.  Another good offseason and experience...and this team just may contend for the AFCC and maybe even the SB.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Nothing but respect for Reich.

We looked like what I expected to be honest.  I expected more of a fight, but we didn't look lost, just no ready...which is a HUGE difference.

We had a rookie head coach, coaching in the playoffs for the first time as a HC against a perennial playoff HC.

We were the youngest team in the playoffs by far, so I expected us to make a lot of mental mistakes and penalties.

And tbh, we still could have won this game.  The first half was ugly, but the game was winnable.  I am ok with this.  If we would've beat KC I would've been surprised.  I am not surprised that we did not win.  

This team is headed places.  Another good offseason and experience...and this team just may contend for the AFCC and maybe even the SB.

I know as bad as it looked if Vinatieri makes that FG at the end of the Half, the game would've been far from over. We actually scored a TD in the 2nd Half before they scored a point and got it somewhat close. We just made to many mistakes and had way to many penalties. The Chiefs got away with at least 2 or 3 PI's as well so the REFS didn't do us any favors.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know as bad as it looked if Vinatieri makes that FG at the end of the Half, the game would've been far from over. We actually scored a TD in the 2nd Half before they scored a point and got it somewhat close. We just made to many mistakes and had way to many penalties. The Chiefs got away with at least 2 or 3 PI's as well so the REFS didn't do us any favors.

Yup, we make that Fg and it's a ball game for sure.  We would've been down by 10 after Chiefs almost put up 300 on us in a half, that is almost impossible.

But as you said, we truly beat ourselves more than the Cheifs beat us.  It's a good loss.  Lessons to be learned for sure.  Hope players come back with a chip next year and start off 5-1 instead of 1-5.

• Like 1

Reich takes accountability. I love that trait. There’s no better trait to have as a coach. The coach is the leader. Reich gets it. I still can’t get over how dumb the Colts played in that football game though. They played two teams last night. Can’t beat the #1 seed when you can’t beat yourself

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

Reich takes accountability. I love that trait. There’s no better trait to have as a coach. The coach is the leader. Reich gets it. I still can’t get over how dumb the Colts played in that football game though. They played two teams last night. Can’t beat the #1 seed when you can’t beat yourself

To beat a #1 Seed on the road you need a lot of things to fall your way. We were shooting ourselves in the foot left and right. Vinny even missing a 23 Yard FG and that was a key play because that would've gave us momentum going into the Half. Luck finally put together a great drive and it fails like that. This performance wasn't near as bad as the one in NE in 2014 losing 45-7 though. We had chances yesterday but our execution and Penalties killed us.

• Like 1

We seemed... overhyped and overexcited if that's possible. So many encroachment penalties in key moments to start the game... and even later. 

Luck was throwing everything short for some reason. We had the regular diet of drops as well... Glowinski had a horrible game... 

The thing is... I just rewatched the game. We had so many trips(or takeaways) to the red zone but just couldn't finish. we had 3 trips at the 15 yard line that resulted in 0 points(the end of the 2nd Q, the fumble recovery by Leonard and end of the game drive with Fountain's drop) . This game should have been much closer even after the horrible start. 

I'm not saying all this to excuse our game plan, but to give some optimism about the team's performance. It was one of the worst performances of the season and we still were a couple of the wrong bounces of the ball away from having a competitive game. 

6 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Maybe Smith gets moved inside after all. He got destroyed by their speed rushers.
Just a thought.  Maybe he decides to add a RT with LT potential.
What will Ballard do?

Yeah Smith is better at guard we just need to draft a tackle or pick one up in free agency 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

We seemed... overhyped and overexcited if that's possible. So many encroachment penalties in key moments to start the game... and even later. 

Luck was throwing everything short for some reason. We had the regular diet of drops as well... Glowinski had a horrible game... 

The thing is... I just rewatched the game. We had so many trips(or takeaways) to the red zone but just couldn't finish. we had 3 trips at the 15 yard line that resulted in 0 points(the end of the 2nd Q, the fumble recovery by Leonard and end of the game drive with Fountain's drop) . This game should have been much closer even after the horrible start. 

I'm not saying all this to excuse our game plan, but to give some optimism about the team's performance. It was one of the worst performances of the season and we still were a couple of the wrong bounces of the ball away from having a competitive game. 

Yep. Three trips into the red zone. 0 points. Unacceptable

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Once they got ahead, we abandoned the run game completely, and they prepared for the pass every down.

That is the Chiefs method.  We weren't the only team they scored on fast and made the other team one dimensional. They lead the league in sacks because they could pin their ears back and rush the QB after getting off to a fast start.  Luck was just the next on the list.

I can't remember seeing so many batted balls at the line of scrimmage.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The defense got us in a hole right away, 2 TD's on first 2 possessions AND took away any plans on running.

The defense sucked! Leonard was horrible! The only one who looked like he cared was 23. I don't know if they came in to cocky, inexperienced but KC came out and punched them all in the mouth and they never responded.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Flash7 said:

On third downs, the Colts went empty formation and threw the ball. The Chiefs ran it right up the gut on every third down and short, and on every 4th down play -- all resulting in first downs.

Yes.  That's on Reich, and it shows he's an ex QB, to some degree.  And, as much as the forum likes Mack and Hines, they are a bit too much like twins.  We don't have that Turbin like straight ahead runner that provides confidence to run on 3rd and 2 or 3.

We're supposed to have this great oline and it looked like Reich had little confidence in it.

• Like 1

They say you are never as bad as you look when you lose and never as good as you look when you win.

The thing I’m still shocked about is how good the secondary of KC played and how bad our offense played.

If you told me before the game that their Dline put pressure on us, I wouldn’t be surprised but for our offense to look as bad as it did, for Reich to get out coached and for our receivers to not be able to get open, I wouldn’t have bought it. My biggest concern was stupid mistakes and that certainly played a part.

As for going forward, I trust Ballard to get some help in the draft and some FAs, without overpaying for “names” that would keep us from signing our own. I’d much rather see things done that way than have a GM that would try and go after FA talent that would be cancerous to the team.

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Coaches on the road talk about surviving the home team's initial emotional barrage.  IMO, the defense did that after they gave up the quick 21.  Yes, it was 21 points (only 14 if you include the blocked punt the "D" scored on), but for three quarters they made enough plays to keep the game winnable for the offense.  The offense never showed up at all, for a number of reasons, and made mistakes when it looked like it was going to show up.

Yes, this team needs more talent.  Injuries to Doyle, Hooker, and Woods didn't help.  Although it looked to me that Wilcox had just as many tackles as Hooker usually does.

• Like 1

For me as a fan of a totally different t team, the most frustrating part was the Colts not taking advantage of breaks the Chiefs Gave them.  The biggest one IMO was the fumble right after they got the ball off a turnover. A score there and the colts are down 10 with a little momentum.. It felt as if both teams wanted the other team win with some of the dumb mistakes made.. definitely the worst of the two games yesterday.

that said he sounded like BB after a loss blaming himself and everyone else but giving credit to the other team.

(trust me I can see my Pats laying an even bigger egg today..)

Played out of character.

Not converting third downs. Not just 50% of them... but none of them.

Not stopping the run. Chiefs rpo system had us at a loss for a great deal of the game. They controlled our defensive line completely.

Not protecting Luck. 

Not having a solid gameplan coming out of the gate. Why we abandoned the run is beyond me. Would have led to big plays down the field and protecting Luck better. We just abandoned it completely when down 2/3 scores. 

Just out of character last night. 

4 hours ago, Narcosys said:

How?

Just because he decided to run less? That doesn't man here was out coached. We were getting beat on the run many plays as well. It got to crunch time and we had to run less.

We quit running after the first play that got stuffed. After we were done 7-0 we came out with three passes and a three and out. We never tried to run. We gave up to early.

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

True. We were not the Peyton era Colts to try and stick to a game plan of going toe-to-toe with a team in a shootout. Outside Luck's game at Detroit where we won 35-34, I cannot remember a game where we went toe-to-toe on a barn burner during the Luck era and won a game in the low or high 30s like that. We have won all year with ball control and tempo control. It is hard to game plan for a game when you have to plan for your QB going sideways when the offense clearly depends on him, run or pass. But Reich has showed in several games that he abandons the run game plan too fast with a deficit, even with a lot of time remaining in the game.

We did overachieve with the guys we had on D, minimizing their weakness with the zone coverage. In the pre-season, when we played Russell Wilson, we were young but I could see how our LBs could be sucked into play action if their QB got protected well. RPOs are a difficult thing to get a read on, especially if the QB is accurate. Once the Texans went to the RPOs, we had issues as well and Watson was the recipient with more runs. Mahomes and the Chiefs killed us with those. I am sure a few tweaks can make that aspect better, I am less worried about the defensive side keeping us in games against good playoff teams now, more worried about the offensive side play makers. 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

We quit running after the first play that got stuffed. After we were done 7-0 we came out with three passes and a three and out. We never tried to run. We gave up to early.

The very next play was a 10 yard run that made it 3rd and 3. We had the right play call but Ebron dropped it. From then on, we just never stuck with it. Never tried to get Mack and this o-line in a rhythm and it trickled down the rest kf the game.

• Like 1

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

The very next play was a 10 yard run that made it 3rd and 3. We had the right play call but Ebron dropped it. From then on, we just never stuck with it. Never tried to get Mack and this o-line in a rhythm and it trickled down the rest of the game.

Exactly!!! If we have confidence in our OL, even on a 3rd and 2, try running it with some double teams. Ebron's drops did kill us big time but Luck was having a terrible day too and as time went on in the first half, the D settled down but the O did not. Cannot blame it all on the first quarter and should have kept the run game alive. 

AV missing the kick at the end of the game eventually told us all it was just not meant to be our day. Very very few things went right for us.

13 hours ago, James said:

Yes. A lot of delusional folks here talk about the refs. Lets not get carried away with the refs here, the Colts beat the Colts.

Ebron dropped an open third down catch to force a 3 & out on the first drive of the game.

Conservative play calling the entire game, not going for it on 4th and short on two seperate occasions down 2 scores in the first half.

A dozen RIGHTLY CALLED offside penalties to keep drives alive for Kansas City.

Luck taking a sack on 3rd and short instead of throwing it away making it 4th and long.

Luck throwing to the flat for no gain on 3rd and long when the Colts NEEDED a score.

Leaving points on the board with missed kicks which elevated the scoreboard pressure. Without Vinny’s pathetic kicking the Colts would have been within a TD - despite being abysmal.

The refs missed some calls and had some bad no-calls against the Colts, but the Colts weren’t ready.

Poor coaching and decision making by the players and stuff all day. Thoroughly outplayed by the better team.

Make no mistake I said this last night the refs were terrible but that wasn't the only reason we lost the game we lost to the better team we saw where this team needs upgrades DT WR and DB.

2 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Yeah Smith is better at guard we just need to draft a tackle or pick one up in free agency 

I have no idea how well Smith would anchor against the best tackles or if he can drive block as well or better than Glow. How about pulling, trapping, chasing LB's down in the second level. Have we couchies witnessed enough to project this? Not us here IMO. His coaches and Ballard would from his cross training. 
 There are a couple or so pretty good RT that may get to FA that Ballard may like.
We will see if Glow is still available come FA. Drum roll. Using a high pick there, ugh.
   The chess match.

9 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Kudos to the Chiefs defensive staff for a great, aggressive game plan.
They scouted us spot on and used that extra week superbly.

Our o-line couldn't handle Houston and Ford's speed, and Jones looks like a great interior defender. Gotta build a roster to compete with this Team.

Mahomes = Ferrari       Andrew = Chevy Silverado 

Ford's speed rush was a killer. We didn't have an answer.

34 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Baloney. They had our run game scouted perfectly. We couldn't make anything happen with their d-line. Even Q and Kelly. 
Andrew's weakness in the short game got exposed. He can look off a safety but fooling d-lineman, LB's, he is robotic, and having that 6th sense and trusting his pass catchers to do there jobs, be where the play says they will be, and getiing the ball out quickly and highly accurate, Andrew is a mediocrity.  
 He is better than ever at it, but not good enough. That should be obvious.

Ebron's drop hurt for sure, but relying on Andrew to execute against his weakness when his o-line can't give him a clean pocket, Not Yet Colts fans.

17 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Baloney. They had our run game scouted perfectly. We couldn't make anything happen with their d-line. Even Q and Kelly. 
Andrew's weakness in the short game got exposed. He can look off a safety but fooling d-lineman, LB's, he is robotic, and having that 6th sense and trusting his pass catchers to do there jobs, be where the play says they will be, and getiing the ball out quickly and highly accurate, Andrew is a mediocrity.  
 He is better than ever at it, but not god enough. That should be obvious.

Ebron's drop hurt for sure, but relying on Andrew to execute against his weakness when his o-line can't give him a clean pocket, Not Yet Colts fans.

We gave up after the first snap of the game on the run. Then we get down 7-0 and come out with three passes. We didn’t even try to establish the run early.  We went empty backfield and showed our hand so many times. I believe I read Mack for hurt but don’t know when he left the game.