Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Philadelphia (+8) at New Orleans (1-13-19)

oldunclemark

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

Its Charles Davis 

Yeah, I’ve heard him enough on NFL Network that I give him the benefit that he knows what he’s talking about.

He’s been on JMV show too a few years ago.

One more TD from Saints and it’s over

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Foles only playoff loss was against Saints in 2013.

Another reason this feels like 2013 with both #1 seeds beating #6 seeds and then #2 seeds in championship games with the night game winner winning SB. We’ll see.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In all honesty the 4 best teams in the league are in the Final 4, wish we were there though. KC was just too much.

Cant argue...

3 of the top 4 last year..

...and all of the top 4 two years ago...?

Top 2 seeds in the Super Bowl the last 2 years, right?

22 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Dide, I know what he said but what I’m saying is that’s not what he meant. Sometimes when you have to comment fast, you can omit a key word that can change what you meant. At least that’s what I gathered. Anyways that play is done, I’ve explained myself enough.

My apologies, I didn't realize that you knew exactly what Mr. Davis was thinking even though he said something different. 

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Two potential MVPs in Brees-Mahomes is what I want and expect!!!

Agreed. My worst nightmare came true last year: Philadelphia Eagles 

vs

NE 

Can’t stand either, so I’m happy tonight and am a temporary Saints fan till the draft.

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

New England  - Kansas City is a showdown..

…..Can they pressure Mahomes and will it matter?

and KC cant cover the Pats receivers like they did ours

...also....20 degrees at the most

At least the Chiefs won’t be playing zone much that Brady would eat up!!!

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

At least the Chiefs won’t be playing zone much that Brady would eat up!!!

Yeah.....it was a real disadvantage that we hadn't played them before.

It was 14-0 before we knew what hit us.

Okay everybody

Why doesnt every team line up their fastest wide receiver and put him in motion on every play.  You cant follow him with a LB or safety.

It jacks up the defensive coverage.

And how do you stop that?

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Yeah.....it was a real disadvantage that we hadn't played them before.

It was 14-0 before we knew what hit us.

Okay everybody

Why doesnt every team line up their fastest wide receiver and put him in motion on every play.  You cant follow him with a LB or safety.

It jacks up the defensive coverage.

And how do you stop that?

If the fastest guy gets 4 or 5 yards before the D gets to him, you probably still would take it over him getting 40 or 50 yards, right???

Unless the QB runs a LOT, you match up the guys on O with D, and if they spread you out, the other CBs lined across line up a tad off to be nimble enough to beat OL blocks without easily being blocked by the WRs, so that they can tackle that "fastest" guy in space. 

Most of the time, it is done to keep the LB or safety away from the LOS to peek an eye behind the LOS so that they have to deal with OL or TE guys with momentum thus enabling a run play to be a tad more successful. Plus, if the other team has 6 good DBs in a dime defense, they have the speed to match up against sweeps and motion, and running against it might be a better option. 

Sometimes, you have a team that does not have DBs that beat blocks easily or tackle well, so you actually run more sweeps against such teams. 

It is a reactive game, personnel on O to react to D and vice versa, and on and on it goes...

21 hours ago, chad72 said:

If the fastest guy gets 4 or 5 yards before the D gets to him, you probably still would take it over him getting 40 or 50 yards, right???

Unless the QB runs a LOT, you match up the guys on O with D, and if they spread you out, the other CBs lined across line up a tad off to be nimble enough to beat OL blocks without easily being blocked by the WRs, so that they can tackle that "fastest" guy in space. 

Most of the time, it is done to keep the LB or safety away from the LOS to peek an eye behind the LOS so that they have to deal with OL or TE guys with momentum thus enabling a run play to be a tad more successful. Plus, if the other team has 6 good DBs in a dime defense, they have the speed to match up against sweeps and motion, and running against it might be a better option. 

Sometimes, you have a team that does not have DBs that beat blocks easily or tackle well, so you actually run more sweeps against such teams. 

It is a reactive game, personnel on O to react to D and vice versa, and on and on it goes...

Maybe I didn't explain myself.

I think I know why teams like Kansas City and the Bears do it.

I don't know why every body doesnt do it>

The Colts dont. The Patriots don't.

Why not?  

If it takes 6 DBs to stop it...and I think you are right there. Why don't we run the slot receiver in motion on every play?

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Maybe I didn't explain myself.

I think I know why teams like Kansas City and the Bears do it.

I don't know why every body doesnt do it>

The Colts dont. The Patriots dont

The Patriots do, they didn’t show it the previous game. Watch them run a sweep with Patterson coming around with a head of steam with WRs and OL blocking for him next game. I’ve seen it in several games. When they had Brandin Cooks, they did that sweep more often with even a few shovel pass TDs for Tom.

Colts - let’s be honest, if TY gets tackled hard for a loss behind the LOS, do we have enough depth in the case of an injury?

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The Patriots do, they didn’t show it the previous game. Watch them run a sweep with Patterson coming around with a head of steam with WRs and OL blocking for him next game. I’ve seen it in several games. When they had Brandin Cooks, they did that sweep more often with even a few shovel pass TDs for Tom.

Colts - let’s be honest, if TY gets tackled hard for a loss behind the LOS, do we have enough depth in the case of an injury?

The Patriots do it once in awhile. 

You saw KC. They run a man in motion on almost half their plays. Once a series at least.

Its a basic party of their offense.

Its not putting your best receiver in motion. Its putting speed in motion.

Its the speed that distorts the defense. And then you do half-motion..where the 'motion man' reverses himself.  It distorts coverage

If it works and there's no downside...why don't we do it.?

Why does not Houston. Denver. Minnesota?

Just slow to change? Stuck in the 90s?

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

The Patriots do it once in awhile. 

You saw KC. They run a man in motion on almost half their plays. Once a series at least.

Its a basic party of their offense.

Its not putting your best receiver in motion. Its putting speed in motion.

Its the speed that distorts the defense. And then you do half-motion..where the 'motion man' reverses himself.  It distorts coverage

If it works and there's no downside...why don't we do it.?

Why does not Houston. Denver. Minnesota?

Just slow to change? Stuck in the 90s?

There is a downside - if a DB or LB is quick to diagnose, you have a bigger defender taking down a likely smallish speedier wideout, and you could be behind in down and distance. Plus, not everyone has a Hill, AB, OBJ to keep Ds honest, so it won’t work with every WR that is fast but not elusive when they change momentum to go north.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

There is a downside - if a DB or LB is quick to diagnose, you have a bigger defender taking down a likely smallish speedier wideout, and you could be behind in down and distance. Plus, not everyone has a Hill, AB, OBJ to keep Ds honest, so it won’t work with every WR that is fast but not elusive when they change momentum to go north.

That's not what KC does. You dont throw the motion man the ball or give him the ball every time.

Its a decoy on most plays the way the Chiefs do it.

Its a way to get 1 on 1 coverage.....to get the defense to 'declare'

And the Rams do it with Tavon Austin,,hardly a Hall-of-Famer

Bears do it with Tarik Cohen...a legend in his own mind

Look, we've both watched the Colts who haven't used 'motion' for 20 years.

there must be a downside

Peyton didn't like it..he said it made it hard to read the defense.

But it seems so difficult to defend in  today's NFL

8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

That's not what KC does. You dont throw the motion man the ball or give him the ball every time.

Its a decoy on most plays the way the Chiefs do it.

Its a way to get 1 on 1 coverage.....to get the defense to 'declare'

And the Rams do it with Tavon Austin,,hardly a Hall-of-Famer

Bears do it with Tarik Cohen...a legend in his own mind

Look, we've both watched the Colts who haven't used 'motion' for 20 years.

there must be a downside

Peyton didn't like it..he said it made it hard to read the defense.

But it seems so difficult to defend in  today's NFL

To me, it’s simple numbers. 

If I have one less guy on offense due to QB not blocking anyone, now I have even 1 less guy making it 11 vs 9, right?  10 out of 10 times, I’ve got guys in zones giving me numbers advantage not forcing me to abandon what I want to do, to be honest.

Reich has put Ebron in motion a few times, we’ve done it. Remember that pass to Luck and rushing TD for Ebron???

I don’t know, maybe I’m missing something.

• Like 1