Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay's tweet for tomorrow's game

Devildog

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think it's a form of trash talking that will fire up the Chiefs some. I trash-talk myself, but if I lose, I'm the only one that looks bad. If we lose, then not only does Irsay look bad, but it paints the team in a poor light because Irsay was talking trash for them and they didn't back it up. Not in favor of it really. Irsay is starting to get cocky, and that's when you lose.

Again this is a playoff game if you lose your season is over you win you are one game away from going to the Super Bowl which you have dreamed about your whole life.  If you need a tweet to get you fired up for that you have bigger problems.  

I dont take this as trash talking.  He doesn’t say the Colts are going to pound the chiefs if the weather is bad.  He says his team will be ready and fired up if their is weather.  That’s not the samething.  Given the Colts history of bad weather games in the playoffs I take it as him saying these aren’t going to be like those teams.  They will be able to handle the weather.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think it's a form of trash talking that will fire up the Chiefs some. I trash-talk myself, but if I lose, I'm the only one that looks bad. If we lose, then not only does Irsay look bad, but it paints the team in a poor light because Irsay was talking trash for them and they didn't back it up. Not in favor of it really. Irsay is starting to get cocky, and that's when you lose.

I agree but don't think it will matter . I think the Colts are that much better overall on both sides of the line.

1 minute ago, J@son said:

I disagree.  He specifically says the team will be "happier" with poorer conditions. Why would the team actually be "happier" about poor conditions unless they feel that poor weather conditions give them an edge in the game?  And when you compare the Chiefs offense vs the Colts it's very clear that poor weather conditions favor the Colts.  The Chiefs are a pass-happy offense driven on big plays in the passing game.  The Colts are one of the most balanced teams in the playfoffs and they've shown a far superior ability to run the ball compared to KC.  That means that poor weather conditions favors the Colts.  

I take it as him trying to reassure a fan base that has seen its team struggle in bad weather games in the playoffs that this team is not the same as those teams.  

Also, as you pointed out, it’s not a stretch to think that bad weather favors the Colts in this game.  The Chiefs are a high powered pass attack offense with a suspect defense against the run.  What happens in a bad weather games?  It slows down the passing game and makes the run game that much more important.  

With that said Irsay doesn’t say this is going to give them the edge over the Chiefs.  He’s saying his team will be ready for it.  Given the history of the Colts in the playoffs in bad weather games this tweet can be taken as him saying hey these aren’t you daddy’s Colts anymore when it comes to the weather.  It’s all about how you choose to read it.  If the Chiefs want to read it as trash talk, which I am sure will try to do, they can.  Do I think it’s going to make them try harder in the playoff game?  No, so I think his all a lot to do about nothing.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, #12. said:

With us being an indoor team, it's counterintuitive, but yes, it should favor us.  This isn't the 2004 Colts.  In fact, you could argue we're playing the 2018 version of the 2004 Colts.

Frank played in Buffalo.  He knows what to do.

And Ballard worked in KC. I trust our 2 guys in charge will outfit the team with the correct shoes, thermals, heaters, attitude, and whatever else it takes to win a bad weather game. We know we have the O and D lines to compete in all conditions,

22 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Let's be honest, these tweets are light years better than his old ones. 

I for one still believe Jim Irsay is one of the best owners in the league. 

To his credit he has reigned it in a lot this season.  We can let him slide with this.  Lol 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s all about how you choose to read it.  

Well, no it's not, but we may have to just agree to disagree. 

The Colder and Windy-er and Snowy-er it is tomorrow in KC; the more fired up and happier we’ll be/as a team!

So, if the Colts team will be happier (more happy) with colder/windier/snowier weather, that means that they'll be less happy with clear weather.  He's making a comparison of what the Colts attitude will be with poor weather vs. with good weather, not that they'll be prepared no matter what the weather is like.  So then you have to ask yourself, why would the team be happier with poorer weather conditions?  Because it's well known that poorer weather favors the defense and running game and hinders the passing game.  Irsay (and most experts and non-KC fans) believe that Indy has the advantage in rushing offense and defense but KC has the advantage in the passing game.  

16 minutes ago, #12. said:

Trust me, they don't want snow anymore than the Rams would want snow.  That's the problem with playing that style in KC.  

If you mean the Colts don't want snow then I'd say you're wrong.  See my post above.

34 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Let's be honest, these tweets are light years better than his old ones. 

I for one still believe Jim Irsay is one of the best owners in the league. 

Yes and let’s not forget he’s the guy who hired Ballard by all accounts when the visor backed out on them he worked hand and hand with Ballard to reach out to guys like Dungy and Polian that lead them to Frank.  So if people think those were good hires you have to give Irsay some credit.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think Jim tweet effects the team at all. 

They are playing with house money now and having fun.

True...they are definitely having fun out there.

But I imagine those playoff bonuses are mighty nice to a young guy on a late round/UDFA rookie contract. Right now, they are at $58k regardless for making it to the Divisional round. They win Saturday, they get another $56k for playing in the AFC Championship game. They win that game and get to the Super Bowl, they get another $59k (losing team) or $118k (winning team).

For some of the lesser paid guys, if the Colts get to the Super Bowl, that's like getting a 30-40% bonus at the end of the year. Considering the average length of an NFL career, that money could be huge.

1 minute ago, J@son said:

Well, no it's not, but we may have to just agree to disagree. 

So, if the Colts team will be happier (more happy) with colder/windier/snowier weather, that means that they'll be less happy with clear weather.  He's making a comparison of what the Colts attitude will be with poor weather vs. with good weather, not that they'll be prepared no matter what the weather is like.  So then you have to ask yourself, why would the team be happier with poorer weather conditions?  Because it's well known that poorer weather favors the defense and running game and hinders the passing game.  Irsay (and most experts and non-KC fans) believe that Indy has the advantage in rushing offense and defense but KC has the advantage in the passing game.  

If you mean the Colts don't want snow then I'd say you're wrong.  See my post above.

Again you are reading into it and making assumptions to make it mean what you want it to mean.  Anyone can look at that tweet as I have, and others on here have, and take it to mean he’s saying these arent the Colts that have struggled in the weather in the past in the playoffs these guys will be ready for it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ya think? 

Jim's just excited for his team. He should be, they been playing very good. He does have a point with our running game and the Chiefs poor run defense. Why someone would have an issue with Jim is beyond me. :dunno:

He is a fan deep down. But then he is also a billionaire owner with far more visibility than the average fan. We live in an era when even the most innocuous statement can be twisted into something negative. So, when he gives a little bit more fodder than generic cheerleading, I can see why fans are a bit concerned. 

How dare that man get excited along with fans about his team. Who does he think he is!

Seriously, though, the mentality that this has an effect on anyone other than those fans who want a silent owner, cracks me up. 

If you want to follow a team who does not have an owner who uses his fan voice, this might not be a good team to follow for you. Frankly, I hope his daughters continue his tradition of loving the Colts, right alongside us fans. 

Jim rules!!

• Like 4

If you were a player, would some owner saying his team welcomes the cold really work you up in a frenzy?  There's the internet, then there's real life 

My god, they have medicine men, priests and clairvoyants visiting and blessing Arrowhead.  A simple Jim Irsay tweet ain't magical enough to break that curse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I love it.  It’s like having one of us fans own the team.   If I was owner I’d be much worse.  You guys would hate me.  

Oh man... if I was the owner of the Colts...

I already spend too much time spouting off on these forums...

A super-biased homer with too much money and too much free time?  I would be intolerable as the owner!  haha

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I was just going to say that Jim's playing days are long gone.  Jim hasn't played since 1982 when he was at SMU.

(most don't know that Jim has a degree in broadcast journalism)

I get picked on for talking about the game in my family.......whether I say something positive or negative during the game, my husband and daughter accuse me of jinxing the team.

However, they can say the same things and somehow when they do it's not a jinx.

So, I'm on Jims side.  He's held to a different standard and I'm throwing the flag

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I get picked on for talking about the game in my family.......whether I say something positive or negative during the game, my husband and daughter accuse me of jinxing the team.

However, they can say the same things and somehow when they do it's not a jinx.

So, I'm on Jims side.  He's held to a different standard and I'm throwing the flag

I mean, outside of the handful of times he makes decisions to hire someone like Ballard or keep Pagano, what the heck does anything he say have to do with what happens on Sunday?  I don't get it either.  Either be fired up or don't, but don't tell me how I should or shouldn't get excited about the Colts as a fan.  Same applies to the owner.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yeah...but one with a serious bank roll. 

He needs to be sharing that bankroll with scouts and people who evaluate/pick talent who help Ballard Todd make great decisions. It would not hurt to reward coaching staff too. Then maybe we can keep everyone intact for awhile

2 hours ago, #12. said:

My god, they have medicine men, priests and clairvoyants visiting and blessing Arrowhead.  A simple Jim Irsay tweet ain't magical enough to break that curse.

... Wait. Is that for real? 

Like all the effort that the Cubbies used to do to break the World Series curse?