Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coaching Hires

CR91

Anyone else surprised in the lack of experience some of these coaches have that were hired as HCs?

-Zac Taylor HC of the Bengals less then one year as a coordinator

-Freddie Kitchens HC of the Browns less then one year as a coordinator

-Kliff Kingsberry HC of the Cardinals zero NFL experience

Everything is QB driven nowadays and to me, while it makes sense, it seems like knee jerk reactions, especially with the Bengals and Cardinals. At least with Kitchens, they saw what he did with their own QB Baker. Everyone talks about Sean McVay but he had way more experience than the 3 mentioned above w.r.t offensive play calling at the NFL level, IMO. But then, the HC positions with the Bengals and Cardinals are probably bottom 2, in terms of clamored ones. Dolphins' HC position is a close one too, as far as least desired.

In fact, I feel, the most sensible hire was with the Broncos, with Vic Fangio, with Kubiak most likely as OC. Guys like Frank Reich might not have gotten a chance as first options if the first options worked out. Guys like Dave Toub are still good teachers and possibly good head coaches too but will not get the chance because of the current prevalent fad. 

• Like 2

I heard a rumor that Pat Mahomes pee wee league coach was given the job of Head Coach in waiting in Kansas City.  :sarcasm:  I understand the the trend is to get a bright young offensive mind, but if a guy was mediocre as a head coach in college how on earth does that make him qualified to coach an NFL team? I'm glad to see we aren't getting a bunch of retread coaches but I think in 2 years a lot of these jobs will be open again.

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Like I said before the jets getting Adam Gase was a great deal tho

He was at least established and had both factors of being an OC for several teams plus an HC going for him. There wasn't much swinging for the fences there, it was a solid hire, yes.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He was at least established and had both factors of being an OC for several teams plus an HC going for him. There wasn't much swinging for the fences there, it was a solid hire, yes.

Yep he never had much to work with in Miami plus hes already familiar with the division. Darnold can be good and Gase will help him alot.