Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lance Zierlein: Colts love all three of their inexpensive RBs they drafted. No chance they are adding Bell.

This is the second or third time Zierlein has reiterated that the Colts have no plans in pursuing Bell in the last week or so. Usually a random journalist/analyst saying stuff like that can be written off as simple conjecture/opinion, but Zierlein is not just a random analyst. He's friends with Ballard and he also said last week that he met with Ballard for a dinner prior to the Colts game vs the Texans(he's situated in Houston). No guarantee that it's Ballard that told him that, but I decided that it's noteworthy.

Bell is an extraordinary talent and I'm sure would do amazing things if the Colts were to sign him. I just don't think we need him or that he fits the type of free agent that Chris Ballard goes after. I could be proven wrong and if I were, I would welcome Bell with open arms but I agree with Zierlein that I don't see the Colts pursuing him.

I agree with him I don't think we pursue Bell, so many things against it.

1. Mack has looked good reducing the need.

2. Bell seems like a me first guy, Ballard hates that and wants team first guys.  

3. Bell has character issues with previous drug suspensions.  Again Ballard is not a fan

4. Bell is going to want a lot of money.  Ballard is resistant to signing big money guys from outside the team.

I don't see it.  Bell might want to be a Colt but I don't think Ballard will be all that interested unless he gets massively team friendly deal.  

• Like 1

Also it seems likely the Jets are going to go HEAVY after Bell. 

I wanted Bell earlier in the season, and still would want him on the team. He's a major talent that can handle a massive workload. But I learned a long time ago, I don't get everything I want. 

If Mack continues to perform as he does, and with the expected improvements to Hines and Wilkins in year 2, I see no reason to splurge big money on an RB when WR2 is a much bigger need.

Also might need to invest in some OL depth and think about securing the future at T with ACs contract ending in 2019. Those in my opinion are more important to this team than an expensive (albiet, incredibly talented) running back. 

The ONLY way I can see Ballard signing Bell (and I just thought of this possibility like 10 seconds ago) is if Bell REALLY wants to be a Colt so Ballard signs him, and then turns around and tries to package him in a trade for a marquee pass-rusher to avoid trading away a high draft pick.

I don't know how that would work logistically with cap-hits, dead money, etc. and it might be seen as a shady move.

I seriously doubt it will happen, but it's who knows...

:dunno:

I have always thought the decision on Bell would come down to how Mack performs at the end of the season.  Mack is holding up his end so far.  He should have a big day tomorrow if you believe all of the reports on how bad the Chiefs defense is.   If he doesn't,  well............... then the Bell talk could resurface.  From what I'm reading it's more likely the Jets or Bucs for Bell though. Come on Marlon.  Tomorrow is your stage.  Get it done for yourself and the Colts. 

On 1/11/2019 at 5:20 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

The ONLY way I can see Ballard signing Bell (and I just thought of this possibility like 10 seconds ago) is if Bell REALLY wants to be a Colt so Ballard signs him, and then turns around and tries to package him in a trade for a marquee pass-rusher to avoid trading away a high draft pick.

I don't know how that would work logistically with cap-hits, dead money, etc. and it might be seen as a shady move.

I seriously doubt it will happen, but it's who knows...

:dunno:

That doesn't work in the NFL  lol...... it's not NBA, you don't sign a guy who "really" wants to be with your team, and flip him for a need that costs even MORE of a premium.... lmao..... not only does that not work based on positional valuation, way to wreck your rep with FA's.....

Just now, Shafty138 said:

That doesn't work in the NFL  lol...... it's not NBA, you don't sign a guy who "really" wants to be with your team, and flip him for a need that costs even MORE of a premium.... lmao..... not only does that not work based on positional valuation, way to wreck your rep with FA's.....

That's WITHOUT mentioning being saddled with dead cap space from the initial bonus money lol

4 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

That's WITHOUT mentioning being saddled with dead cap space from the initial bonus money lol

Notice I did say "package him in a trade" like with other picks or players.  I know we couldn't trade Bell for a premier pass-rusher straight-up.

But I figured the dead-cap space from signing him would make it a non-starter, unless Ballard was some sort of contract-wizard when he signed Bell.

haha

I have always thought the decision on Bell would come down to how Mack performs at the end of the season.  Mack was holding up his end until today.  I don't know what his final numbers were but his big runs came at the end of the game when they were expecting pass.  He had a few nice runs but he didn't have a big day like you would have thought against this Chiefs defense and our OL.  If they like like Hines they certainly haven't used him recently.  A few times today.  Wilkens barely sees the field.  Mack is a nice back and has improved but I'm not sure they would turn their back on Bell just yet.  Today leaves the "door open" to Bell, Mack, and Hines being our three RB's. 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I have always thought the decision on Bell would come down to how Mack performs at the end of the season.  Mack was holding up his end until today.  I don't know what his final numbers were but his big runs came at the end of the game when they were expecting pass.  He had a few nice runs but he didn't have a big day like you would have thought against this Chiefs defense and our OL.  If they like like Hines they certainly haven't used him recently.  A few times today.  Wilkens barely sees the field.  Mack is a nice back and has improved but I'm not sure they would turn their back on Bell just yet.  Today leaves the "door open" to Bell, Mack, and Hines being our three RB's. 

Mack had 9 carries. 

Just say say you want Bell now matter what. It's ok.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, BOTT said:

Mack had 9 carries. 

Just say say you want Bell now matter what. It's ok.

Okay.  I do want Bell because he is better than Mack and he is a playmaker.  We need playmakers.  I would love to have OBJ or Antonio Brown for the same reason.  They are proven playmakers.  We need a proven playmaker on offense for next year.  That's obvious.  These are the three that are most likely available.   And no I'm not worried about the drama.  Luck spreads the ball around.  Maybe Ballard has his eyes on someone else. That's okay.  Just bring in a playmaker.  That's all I ask.  We are going to be SB contenders next year.  Let's move this offense up a notch.  You have to look no further than KC. 

• Thanks 1