Sign in to follow this  
krunk

How the Colts Defense Can Shut Down the Chiefs Offense

Nice article!!! 

Discipline will be key!!! The DBs cannot panic and peek back when Mahomes scrambles outside the pocket because the typical complaint from Chiefs fans has been that Mahomes, even when he is outside the pocket and has 3 yards to go, looks for a pass 15 yards and beyond than running for the first down. If he does that, we let our LBs close in and keep defending the back side. 

However, no sane Colts fan has ideas about "shutting" down the Chiefs offense, maybe limiting them to 25-30 pts, close to their average.

• Like 1

I don't really think we can shut them down. I think if we limit them to under 30, it will be a success... 

I just saw this one on twitter. It's quite impressive just how weak of a opponent offense schedule we've had this year: 

The gap between us and the second weakest is quite staggering. 

• Like 1

From the article

You want to play tight man coverage against Tyreek Hill? Good luck, he’ll kill you. You want to try and press Travis Kelce with just anybody? Good luck, he’ll kill you. The way you beat these guys is with zone coverage. 

The reason he (Kelce) goes up against a lot of man coverage is because he eats up zone coverage.

The Colts need to sandwich Kelce or trust Darius Leonard on him.. So, while they’ll need to double him at times, playing Darius Leonard in man coverage with an inside release might be the most effective for a lot of the game.

The Double A-Gap front puts a lot of pressure on the interior offensive lineman and considering Cam Erving and Andrew Wylie have had average-at-best seasons, it’s good to attack them and to force them to have big games.

They way to beat Kelce (and Hill) is zone but he eats up zone coverage so putting Leonard play man on him might be most effective for a lot of the game.. While also employing Leonard in Double A-gap front??

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't really think we can shut them down. I think if we limit them to under 30, it will be a success... 

I just saw this one on twitter. It's quite impressive just how weak of a opponent offense schedule we've had this year: 

I think Frank Reich should show this like the #32 for bulletin board material. The truth is always somewhere in the middle. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think Frank Reich should show this like the #32 for bulletin board material. The truth is always somewhere in the middle. 

Why? This is not a shot at the players or the team or the coaches... You can only play who is in front of you. 

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

Why? This is not a shot at the players or the team or the coaches... You can only play who is in front of you. 

True. Here is an article I found that might be relevant:

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/1/12/10753774/nfl-playoffs-panthers-strength-of-schedule-seahawks-preview

Teams with easiest schedules have gone as far as the SB sometimes albeit without winning it but most of them lost in the "divisional round". :( 

When this article was written, Cam Newton went to the SB but lost in the SB. 

Saints, Rams, Chiefs - one of them has the eventual edge for winning it all. Rams have played 7 games against playoff teams - Saints, Chargers, Bears, Chiefs, Eagles, Seahawks (twice) and are 4-3. Chiefs are 2-4 vs the 6 playoff teams they played.

Saints played 4 playoff teams and are 3-1, with the lone loss vs the Cowboys. They beat Baltimore in Baltimore, beat Eagles and Rams at home. 

14 minutes ago, Finball said:

From the article

They way to beat Kelce (and Hill) is zone but he eats up zone coverage so putting Leonard play man on him might be most effective for a lot of the game.. While also employing Leonard in Double A-gap front??

Cover 6. Don't spy Mahomes, just contain the edge. Use your would-be spy to stay close to Kelce, but play Cover 3 behind it. Run fast, tackle well. 

• Like 1

The notion that the Chiefs aren't going to score plenty- get that out of your collective heads. They're going to get 28-35 (maybe more- that's a Chiefs win if it's over 35), Luck needs to put up one more point than that. I think he can do it, because the Chiefs D isn't imposing either. 

I hope this run continues and the D looks good doing it, but I'm still not buying all of this talk that the unit is even close to a finished product. 

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

The notion that the Chiefs aren't going to score plenty- get that out of your collective heads. They're going to get 28-35 (maybe more- that's a Chiefs win if it's over 35), Luck needs to put up one more point than that. I think he can do it, because the Chiefs D isn't imposing either. 

I hope this run continues and the D looks good doing it, but I'm still not buying all of this talk that the unit is even close to a finished product. 

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I agree until we play this can game we don’t know how good the defense is. It’s January playoff football and it’s going to be cold and wet so who knows what the chiefs will score. Points per game goes down significantly in playoff football in January.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I can't put that much into that because the Chiefs have scored on everybody from the highest to the lowest.  We all know they are going to score.  I don't think it does much to point out who we've played.  We know they are going to score because they've scored on everyone good or bad defense.  Even if we are actually good we know they are going to dent our armor. Hopefully we don't look too silly.

• Like 1

I still think our D is going to play better than what many are projecting.  And even if they do get cooked a little bit I'm hoping we can get about 2-3 turnovers on them.  The more one dimensional you are with the passing game, the more opportunity for interceptions.  Like I've maintained the whole time we are going to score a bunch of points ourselves.  The more possessions we can get the better.

few things we need to do,

-We need to confuse Mahomes. I honestly don't care if this guy is the next golden arm of the league. Hes still a rookie for tense and purposes. You take a child's favorite toy away and they get frustrated. 

-Defense needs to play sound football. No mental mistakes and no allowing mahomes to dictate the tempo of the game. We need to control this game from all phases of the field.

-Make them one dimensional. I don't care if mahomes throws the ball 50 times. Dan williams can not have an impact on this game.   

We won't shut them down, we might slow them down but we gotta be prepared to score 30+

22 minutes ago, krunk said:

I still think our D is going to play better than what many are projecting.  And even if they do get cooked a little bit I'm hoping we can get about 2-3 turnovers on them.  The more one dimensional you are with the passing game, the more opportunity for interceptions.  Like I've maintained the whole time we are going to score a bunch of points ourselves.  The more possessions we can get the better.

The snowy conditions are going to help too.

I'm telling you this game reminds me so much of 2003 when Peyton, Marvin, Reggie, and E. James went into Arrowhead in the playoffs.  Chiefs were the highest scoring offense that year as well.   Chiefs walked up and down the field on our defense then.  Problem was we walked it up and down the field on them just a little bit more and we walked away victorious.   This is what I'm expecting in this contest most likely.  Hopefully we play a little bit better defense then that Colts team.

Score of that 2003-2004 game was 38-31

http://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=240111012

I believe our game will be similar.

EJ ran for 125 on 26 Carries in that game and I believe and won't be surprised if Marlon Mack gets that many carries as well.

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm telling you this game reminds me so much of 2003 when Peyton, Marvin, Reggie, and E. James went into Arrowhead in the playoffs.  Chiefs were the highest scoring offense that year as well.   Chiefs walked up and down the field on our defense then.  Problem was we walked it up and down the field on them just a little bit more and we walked away victorious.   This is what I'm expecting in this contest most likely.  Hopefully we play a little bit better defense then that Colts team.

Score of that 2003-2004 game was 38-31

http://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=240111012

I believe our game will be similar.

That would certainly not make me feel good about our chances in the next round.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, ManningGM said:

That would certainly not make me feel good about our chances in the next round.

Why?  We won that game.

• Haha 1

I don't think we'll shut them down. I do think with our much better balanced team and strength being our Oline we can win. 

These tema femind me so much much of the old colts and ne teams it's ridiculous. But tolls reversed which I've wanted since I was just a tiny thing floating around in my fathers....

The thing is almost identical.   They had Dante Hall and Tony Gonzalez then. Now they have T. Hill and T. Kelce.  They had Priest Holmes then and they would have had Hunt in this one who is similar to Priest Holmes if it wasn't for the domestic violence.  A lot of similarities.

5 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I thought This was going to say kidnap him lmao

That's plan B.  If we're losing by two scores or more at halftime...

We have an inside man in their locker room.  He lures Mahomes with a bottle of drug-laced-ketchup, then throws him in the back of a van and poof, he disappears...

He wakes up Sunday morning in Tijuana with a new face-tattoo, fake passport, a pounding headache and no memory of what happened Saturday.  Problem solved.

tenor.gif?itemid=5122418

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We need to score first. I have heard two analysts say the colts should absolutely take the ball first if they win the toss.

Would it be helpful to say, “Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!”?

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

Nice article!!! 

Discipline will be key!!! The DBs cannot panic and peek back when Mahomes scrambles outside the pocket because the typical complaint from Chiefs fans has been that Mahomes, even when he is outside the pocket and has 3 yards to go, looks for a pass 15 yards and beyond than running for the first down.

I have watched Russell Wilson do that for years. Teams are getting better at defending it, though. Can't tell you hwo many times I saw him break containment, the closest defender leaves his man to tackle him, and he throws it to the player the defender just vacated. 

13 hours ago, Superman said:

Cover 6. Don't spy Mahomes, just contain the edge. Use your would-be spy to stay close to Kelce, but play Cover 3 behind it. Run fast, tackle well. 

Agreed.  Also, if Mahomes is running your way, attack him.  Don't jump up and try to defend a pass.