coltsfeva

So who wins the “chess match “?

Recommended Posts

  I remember Peyton talking about the mental chess match that goes on: “whenever I execute a good play action and freeze two linebackers, I’ve just blocked two guys”.

This illustrated to me that it’s not enough to have talent. Scheme and game planning are just as important.

 

   Both QBs are smart guys, maybe deception is a little more a part of Mahommes game, who knows? I know Luck is a pretty smart cookie.

   Where I think the Colts have an advantage (along with the run game and defense), is in coaching.

   Eagles fans were happy when the Eagles fired Andy Reid. Although he was pretty creative with play calling, he didn’t get them a championship, he was terrible with time management and in-game adjustments.

  I think the Colts have an advantage with Reich. It’s going to be interesting to see how the chess match goes.

 

 Do you agree?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our new mascot “Deep Blue”.

 

A slightly more proper answer is it will certainly be intriguing. You’ve got two coaches known for creative gameplanning who can scheme guys wide open it seems. 

 

Watched a few Mahomes break downs and outside of the arm talent the guy is legit at reading defenses. Vanilla won’t cut it, you’ll have to scheme in some disguise and hope to confuse him. Even then I think the safest option is to keep everything in front and try and rally quickly. Weather factors aside you have to figure on a bit of a shoot out. 

 

Ultimatly I think whoever makes the least unforced errors on O wins it. Maybe our D can give us an edge of it steps up like previous games to get key turnovers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was listening to the Stampede Blue Podcast and they were talking about whether Reid and Reich would have similar tendencies, and therefore be able to use that against each other, with Reich coming from the Reid Coaching Tree of offensive minds (with Pederson being the link).

 

From the Colts side of things, Reich's first 15 plays that he scripted for last week were a thing of beauty.

 

On the Chiefs, everyone knows how good Reid is after a "bye" week.  Whether that translates when he didn't know who they would be playing until last weekend remains to be seen.

 

I am confident we match up well with them at coaching, QB and Defence.  KC certainly has the advantage in offensive weapons though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 This Andy Reed is an improved version from in the Philly days.
So the offense side of the coaching should be equal.

 I do expect our staff to effectively scheme our run game so we will have a chance to dominate the clock.
We are going to need an amazing game of tackling in the 1st ten or so yards.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

  I remember Peyton talking about the mental chess match that goes on: “whenever I execute a good play action and freeze two linebackers, I’ve just blocked two guys”.

This illustrated to me that it’s not enough to have talent. Scheme and game planning are just as important.

 

   Both QBs are smart guys, maybe deception is a little more a part of Mahommes game, who knows? I know Luck is a pretty smart cookie.

   Where I think the Colts have an advantage (along with the run game and defense), is in coaching.

   Eagles fans were happy when the Eagles fired Andy Reid. Although he was pretty creative with play calling, he didn’t get them a championship, he was terrible with time management and in-game adjustments.

  I think the Colts have an advantage with Reich. It’s going to be interesting to see how the chess match goes.

 

 Do you agree?

I think it will come down to which team can generate pressure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read somewhere or heard on TV that Mahommes has a hard time if you take away his first few reads.  He tends to panic and break away and starts to run.  I'm not sure he has enough experience to call many audibles at the LOS either.  This is his first year as a starter really and without Hunt his run game should not be as effective.  As far as football IQ and smarts big advantage to Luck for me.  Experience matters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rally5 said:

I think it will come down to which team can generate pressure.

Maybe, but consider that the Chiefs tied Pittsburgh for most sacks in the league, yet finished the season ranked 31st in defense (passing AND total yards). It just goes to show that pressure is only one part of it. The secondary must also do its job, and that seems to be a weak link in KC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 - Young Colts defense must channel its aggression and not over-pursue.

 

2 - Take away Kelce.

 

3.  Pound the rock.

 

4.  Make the young QB question his reads.  Doubt will cause him to make mistakes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

1 - Young Colts defense must channel its aggression and not over-pursue.

 

2 - Take away Kelce.

 

3.  Pound the rock.

 

4.  Make the young QB question his reads.  Doubt will cause him to make mistakes.

This^^^    All of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5-10 inches of snow forecast. So the question becomes, how much does falling snow and wind affect the passing games for both teams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, masterlock said:

Maybe, but consider that the Chiefs tied Pittsburgh for most sacks in the league, yet finished the season ranked 31st in defense (passing AND total yards). It just goes to show that pressure is only one part of it. The secondary must also do its job, and that seems to be a weak link in KC.

Well, it's not the only thing, what may be the X factor is pressure on a young QB in his first playoff game.  If he has time this will be a shoot out and that makes me worry a little.  Weather depending.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

5-10 inches of snow forecast. So the question becomes, how much does falling snow and wind affect the passing games for both teams?

I think the snow starts Friday and tapers off Saturday morning. Chance of light snow during the game. Let’s hope the storm stalls a little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

  I remember Peyton talking about the mental chess match that goes on: “whenever I execute a good play action and freeze two linebackers, I’ve just blocked two guys”.

This illustrated to me that it’s not enough to have talent. Scheme and game planning are just as important.

 

   Both QBs are smart guys, maybe deception is a little more a part of Mahommes game, who knows? I know Luck is a pretty smart cookie.

   Where I think the Colts have an advantage (along with the run game and defense), is in coaching.

   Eagles fans were happy when the Eagles fired Andy Reid. Although he was pretty creative with play calling, he didn’t get them a championship, he was terrible with time management and in-game adjustments.

  I think the Colts have an advantage with Reich. It’s going to be interesting to see how the chess match goes.

 

 Do you agree?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is smash mouth - so checkers or.... hungry hungry hippos.

 

It's going to be cold, windy and wet.  Not the makings of a shootout.  Possible, but not likely.  No, I think this could be more of a whoever is stronger upfront on both sides of the ball and plays disciplined football will come out on top.  These are lessons that KC hasn't quite learned yet taht us Colts fans have been learning firsthand for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.