Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We might be out Malik Hooker

CR91

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I feel like you should use google to answer your questions instead of asking loaded questions to fellow forum members... but I'll indulge you.

Hooker has better measurables than most safeties.  He has good size, excellent speed, good (big) hands/ball skills, excellent jumping ability, etc.  He is considered elite in just about any physical attribute or ability we use to talk about safeties.

He is physically special.  His stats don't support that right now, but he's also not physically 100% right now, either.  But Malik Hooker at less than 100% is still scary enough to keep opposing offenses from testing the Colts defense deep very often.

Its wasn't a loaded question.  I was wondering what made QBs not want to throw his way, since that's what I always read on the forum. 

You're telling me its because he is a better athlete.   Fine. 

As far as ball skills, I don't know what special ball skills there could be when the role is to sit back and watch where the QB throws the ball.  I always thought ball skills is what a DB had when they were also busy covering somebody.  So I'm still not sure what makes him special above someone like Fairley, who could also sit back in the deep position and watch the QB.

I was thinking Hooker might be special because he might consistently be able to shade three steps towards where the QB is going to throw the ball because he has great anticipation.  The QB sees that, and decides to check down.  But I've never read that as being the reason, so I assume he's not able to do that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I was wondering what made QBs not want to throw his way, since that's what I always read on the forum.

His tape from his last year at OSU and his first few games as a Colt.

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

As far as ball skills, I don't know what special ball skills there could be when the role is to sit back and watch where the QB throws the ball.

I was thinking Hooker might be special because he might consistently be able to shade three steps towards where the QB is going to throw the ball because he has great anticipation.  The QB sees that, and decides to check down.  But I've never read that as being the reason, so I assume he's not able to do that.

He's pretty good at intercepting the ball, so people don't throw it at his zone very much anymore.

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

His tape from his last year at OSU and his first few games as a Colt.

He's pretty good at intercepting the ball, so people don't throw it at his zone very much anymore.

Forget college, he was playing with great corners and against bad college QBs. 

I want to know what he did in his first 4 games as a rookie, in part against a now retired Carson Palmer, that allowed him to pick off the ball when another FS would not have.

You're talking like he's a 5 year vet.  He's got like 4 picks his entire career.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I want to know what he did in his first 4 games as a rookie, in part against a now retired Carson Palmer, that allowed him to pick off the ball when another FS would not have.

So Google it.  Or Youtube.

Do your own research if you want answers.

Why are you asking me?  I've watched enough of his tape to be impressed and give my opinion, but it's not like I'm an expert on the subject.

45 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

So Google it.  Or Youtube.

Do your own research if you want answers.

Why are you asking me?  I've watched enough of his tape to be impressed and give my opinion, but it's not like I'm an expert on the subject.

I see that teams tend not to throw deep on us.  I like that.  I see Hooker not make many tackles, or even get near the scrum very much, so I assume he's 30 yards back holding down the fort.   If that's what it takes to not get thrown deep on, I like that.

I'm really wondering if we don't get thrown deep on because its specifically Hooker that's back there, any FS being back there, or if our zone D simply provides easier opportunities closer to the LOS.  

Again, I hope Hooker plays.  Mahomes does the playground long ball thing and hopefully Hooker can take advantage.

• Like 2

Just now, DougDew said:

I'm really wondering if we don't get thrown deep on because its specifically Hooker that's back there, any FS being back there, or if our zone D provides easier opportunities closer to the LOS.

It's probably a mix of both.  We're playing more 2-deep safeties than we did with Pagano.

• Like 1