Chloe6124

The colts defense lies

Good stuff from a former colt. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Ian sure though this is nothing knew for NFL defenses. It’s not like KC won’t be ready for it.

Veteran QBs sure, but first time QBs that are still learning coverages, trust what they see pre snap.  

• Like 2

How do first time playoff QBs usually do in their first game? 

As good as Mahomes has been, this is still his first playoff game.....the others I've seen have struggled early on. If that trend holds true, Colts should punce on that opportunity before he settles in.

O'Brien talked about this.  Said he was outcoached.

This is a great video.

As for the disguise, I think Orlovsky is overstating how rare it is, but I love that disguise. It takes a lot of communication before the snap (you can see Quincy redirecting Desir, I think), but if everyone knows their assignments despite the movement, it can be a great way to take an advantage from the offense.

• Like 2

I don't know how unique this is but definitely something that could play a role on saturday. Show man, play zone. Show blitz, rush 3. Show cover 2, play quarters. Show cover 2, play cover 2. Keep Mahomes guessing.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

How do first time playoff QBs usually do in their first game? 

As good as Mahomes has been, this is still his first playoff game.....the others I've seen have struggled early on. If that trend holds true, Colts should punce on that opportunity before he settles in.

umm last week was watsons first playoff action and look how he did:dunno:

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Veteran QBs sure, but first time QBs that are still learning coverages, trust what they see pre snap.  

But I am sure defenses tried this all year and he still threw for 50.

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is a great video.

As for the disguise, I think Orlovsky is overstating how rare it is, but I love that disguise. It takes a lot of communication before the snap (you can see Quincy redirecting Desir, I think), but if everyone knows their assignments despite the movement, it can be a great way to take an advantage from the offense.

Someone pointed out that Mahomes beat similar disguise against the Steelers in week 2 of the regular season(go to 2:00):

Mahomes is a very very very good QB and not just because of his arm and improvisational ability on scramble plays. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

But I am sure defenses tried this all year and he still threw for 50.

Not necessarily. You don't have a lot of tape on a first time QB so you're limited on his tendencies and what he likes to do in certain coverages.  The best thing you can do is try to confuse him with looks he hasn't seen yet.

I'm sure all teams do this, but how well they do it is something else.  Are you tipping your true intent?  Is everyone on the D on the same page, etc.  Hopefully, the Colts are doing it better than other teams. 

• Like 1

That works, if you are a rhythm passer and not a playground backyard improvizer like Mahomes or Big Ben with good accuracy. Mahomes sees the guy supposed to play "man" playing "zone" with his eyes on the QB and his back is to the back of the WR or TE, he is going to that guy. If Watson did not go to Griffin, the other guy had safety help with Hooker but the ball could be completed over the LB.

Watson chose to go underneath to Griffin and paid the price with Kenny Moore jumping it. If he had gone to the other guy the LB was not focused on, a completion nevertheless without the INT. This works great if the opposing OL does not have time, I will give you that, and KC OL is better than the Texans' OL. But if Brady or Mahomes or Big Ben that typically get time with their OL are shown that, they will just anticipate their open man behind the guy playing zone with their face to them. 

We will playing accurate QBs that throw their guy open moving forward, not the inaccurate Watson kind with a suspect OL, IMO. I am sure Eberflus knows that too and will tell the Colts' D that they need to win their match ups flat out, moving forward. A little element of disguise is good but it goes both ways too, IMO, and can lead to busted plays with guys running wide open. I do think we will see delayed blitzing a few times once they realize that they have contained Mahomes in the pocket.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That works, if you are a rhythm passer and not a playground backyard improvizer like Mahomes or Big Ben with good accuracy. Mahomes sees the guy supposed to play "man" playing "zone" with his eyes on the QB and his back is to the back of the WR or TE, he is going to that guy. If Watson did not go to Griffin, the other guy had safety help with Hooker but the ball could be completed over the LB.

Watson chose to go underneath to Griffin and paid the price with Kenny Moore jumping it. If he had gone to the other guy the LB was not focused on, a completion nevertheless without the INT. This works great if the opposing OL does not have time, I will give you that, and KC OL is better than the Texans' OL. But if Brady or Mahomes or Big Ben that typically get time with their OL are shown that, they will just anticipate their open man behind the guy playing zone with their face to them. 

We will playing accurate QBs that throw their guy open moving forward, not the inaccurate Watson kind with a suspect OL, IMO. I am sure Eberflus knows that too and will tell the Colts' D that they need to win their match ups flat out, moving forward. A little element of disguise is good but it goes both ways too, IMO, and can lead to busted plays with guys running wide open. I do think we will see delayed blitzing a few times once they realize that they have contained Mahomes in the pocket.

It also doesn’t work well if the receivers recognize zone as well

56 minutes ago, runthepost said:

It also doesn’t work well if the receivers recognize zone as well

Aka our Hilton? :P

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ian sure though this is nothing knew for NFL defenses. It’s not like KC won’t be ready for it.

Do you remember all those Manning vs NE defenses? It was about showing one thing and doing another. BB was amazing at rattling Manning's cage and confusing the crap out of him. Some of those Ravens teams back with Ray used to do the same thing

• Like 3

Orlovsky is so good on TV and Radio. Can we get him on Monday night instead of Witten? And Burleson instead of Booger while we're at it?

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

I mean a it's a good breakdown but was he really wearing hoodie and suit jacket?

That's how I dress for job interviews.

Still looking...

(j/k)

• Haha 5

We lacked this alot under chuck.....nothing exotic or trying to disguise a blitz it was always so vanilla but finally we have the right coaches to bring this team up

• Thanks 1

The Colts defense lies... in wait for its next victim, stalking the tall grasses for prey.

The targeted prey this week?  MaHomes on the Hill of Kelce.

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, stitches said:

Someone pointed out that Mahomes beat similar disguise against the Steelers in week 2 of the regular season(go to 2:00):

Mahomes is a very very very good QB and not just because of his arm and improvisational ability on scramble plays. 

This is a fantastic video.  Mahomes is the real deal, I think he's right and pressure is a must and I think we may have a preview last week with Kenny Moore.  I expect a lot of corner blitz from the left side which forces Mahomes off the spot and to his left.  He does like to improvise right and can be deadly in doing so.  So, I hope we attack his right with athletes, move him left and hold up in zone.  I don't think we can play much man against these guys.  A really tough test!!

16 hours ago, chad72 said:

Awesome response, exactly right, the downside is you have defenders out of position, so when it doesn't work it doesn't work in a big way.  I think you're spot on about Mahomes as well.

We'll have to pick our spots in terms of deceptions and it should come late after establishing game trends.  I do expect us to bring heat while maintaining zone integrity e.g. Kenny Moore last week.  I think we will focus on getting the ball out of his hands quickly, we may eat short yardage stuff but we force him to do it over and over and hope for a mistake that gets us off the field.  Then again, I have no idea...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Dan the Liar

41 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

That Brett Kollman guy makes excellent videos 

The right mix of analysis and having some personality for me. Comes across as a genuine fan but knows his stuff. 

“I hate Andrew Luck because I can’t hate Andrew Luck” :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, chad72 said:

The open receiver was on the other side of the field. It's not shown in this video, but there's a corner route on the bottom of the screen, and it's open.

Veteran QBs talk about verifying your pre-snap read after the snap. You can read man/zone before the snap, but after the snap you have to confirm your read was correct, because of disguises like this.

It's probably even harder when a defense shows single high but plays Cover 3 or 4, or when you show Man 2 but play Cover 1 with a hook or a bracket.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

The open receiver was on the other side of the field. It's not shown in this video, but there's a corner route on the bottom of the screen, and it's open.

Veteran QBs talk about verifying your pre-snap read after the snap. You can read man/zone before the snap, but after the snap you have to confirm your read was correct, because of disguises like this.

It's probably even harder when a defense shows single high but plays Cover 3 or 4, or when you show Man 2 but play Cover 1 with a hook or a bracket.

Watson throws it late too, Mahomes releases it faster and that makes the difference between an INT or incompletion vs completion. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Orlovsky is so good on TV and Radio. Can we get him on Monday night instead of Witten? And Burleson instead of Booger while we're at it?

Games on NBC, so we won’t have to worry bout that haha 

There's going to be a lot of chess going on between these two teams tomorrow, and I love it!

Reid vs. Eberflus, Reich vs. Sutton. 

The board is set. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 12:41 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Mahomes saw the same type of disguised coverage against Pittsburgh and threw a touchdown against it.  It’s nothing he hasn’t had to deal with before but is something else that he has to think about and prepare for at least.