Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Impressive write-up on M. Mack and what he did to solidify his role.

Narcosys

Good article, he’s a tough dude.  But I still think we need a power back.  Maybe that’s Williams, or at least someone with his size.  

As it stated in the article, Mack is very banged up.  He may not have much longer a career in the role he’s being used.  I want to keep him, but I wish he was alternating more with another RB who cold push the pile and break that first hit.  

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Good article, he’s a tough dude.  But I still think we need a power back.  Maybe that’s Williams, or at least someone with his size.  

As it stated in the article, Mack is very banged up.  He may not have much longer a career in the role he’s being used.  I want to keep him, but I wish he was alternating more with another RB who cold push the pile and break that first hit.  

This is post-season. Everyone is banged up really good.  Look at the injury report, as much as Mack is banged up, he's not on it, yet 12 others are.  I'll never say T.Y. nor Mack is soft.  Not with Mack playing through that shoulder injury the entire year last year, and T.Y. doing what he has the last month.

7 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

This is post-season. Everyone is banged up really good.  Look at the injury report, as much as Mack is banged up, he's not on it, yet 12 others are.  I'll never say T.Y. nor Mack is soft.  Not with Mack playing through that shoulder injury the entire year last year, and T.Y. doing what he has the last month.

Never said he was soft.  As I said in my post, I’d like to see a power back as a complement to his style.  I still don’t think he’ll have a very long career as  the primary RB.  But he’d be great in a RBBC system.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Never said he was soft.  As I said in my post, I’d like to see a power back as a complement to his style.  I still don’t think he’ll have a very long career as  the primary RB.  But he’d be great in a RBBC system.  

i agree.  bigger running backs are coming back in style around the league too.  i think its asking a lot of mack to be a 16 game starter with only hines and wilkins to back him up 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

i agree.  bigger running backs are coming back in style around the league too.  i think its asking a lot of mack to be a 16 game starter with only hines and wilkins to back him up 

And Williams may be the guy.  Apparently they think enough about him to put him on the roster, but don’t trust him enough to play.  

I know there are limited opportunities, and that Wilkins has made the most of his.  This is the playoffs so nothing is going to change.  I just hope they lighten Mack’s work next season.  I want to keep him healthy for a few more years.  

The first thing the Patriots do is to tweak the RB's ankle/knee when they play him.

2014 vs Colts - they sent Ahmad Bradshaw to IR (probably payback for SB 46). 2016 AFCCG vs Steelers - they put a hurt on LeVeon Bell and kept him on the sidelines early on in the game. 2016 SB - they got Tevin Coleman's ankle hurt in the SB in the 4th qtr. Don't be surprised if, early on in the game, they test Melvin Gordon's knee/ankle and keep him on the sidelines for the rest of the game. 

It goes unnoticed but I notice those things. :thinking:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Which makes me wonder why we dropped one of the best short yardage RB's we've had in some time.

13 hours ago, Smonroe said:

The article mentions "a variety" of ailments that kept him out of 4 games early in the season.

But since then,  he has been healthy.

1 hour ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Which makes me wonder why we dropped one of the best short yardage RB's we've had in some time.

I don’t think he was the same when he came back.  Maybe it was the PEDs that gave him the edge.

No one picked him up, right?

6 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I don’t think he was the same when he came back.  Maybe it was the PEDs that gave him the edge.

No one picked him up, right?

not sure. Haven't looked.  But I just saw Mack has more yards after contact than any RB in Indy since James. 3.04 yards after contact average.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-marlon-mack-is-stabilizing-a-previously-inconsistent-colts-backfield

1 hour ago, Lawrence Owen said:

not sure. Haven't looked.  But I just saw Mack has more yards after contact than any RB in Indy since James. 3.04 yards after contact average.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-marlon-mack-is-stabilizing-a-previously-inconsistent-colts-backfield

Actually his yac average was highest since Brown in 13.  Again, I’m not putting him down, but he’s not a power back. He’s a speed guy so when he does get by the contact he usually picks up a bunch.  Which inflates the yac.  

But is he a guy you can count on to get the tough fourth and one, or a guy to punish the D when they get tired?  I’m not too sure.  

All that said, best scenario is for him to light up the Chiefs tomorrow and for you to come back and say “Told Ya!”.

• Like 1

I like the 3 we have. Mack is a 3down back while Wilkins is a 2 down capable of 3 down, and Himes is a 3rd down back capable of slot receiver. Wilkins doesn't take negative plays either. If Mack goes down I think Wilkins and Himes can carry the load and Williams can help if Mack is out for a few weeks.

10 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Actually his yac average was highest since Brown in 13.  Again, I’m not putting him down, but he’s not a power back. He’s a speed guy so when he does get by the contact he usually picks up a bunch.  Which inflates the yac.  

But is he a guy you can count on to get the tough fourth and one, or a guy to punish the D when they get tired?  I’m not too sure.  

All that said, best scenario is for him to light up the Chiefs tomorrow and for you to come back and say “Told Ya!”.

And I'm not by any means saying you are wrong that we need a fullback type RB.  Hewitt does alright, but he's not a RB.  I'd love for us to get a Rosy Pott's type RB that can lead block if needed, but also take the ball on 4th and 2 at the goal line, lower his shoulder and push the o-lineman in front of him over into the end zone.

• Like 1