Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Concerns

coltsfeva

4 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Eli carved them up...and that was without one of the best WRs in the NFL.

Considering the Colts are playing with house money...I wouldn't mind seeing them taking more risks and being opportunistic...as opposed to playing the bend don't break defense. Forcing TOs is going to be paramount.

We shut down Cooper, Hopkins and many others this season

3 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

This may sound silly and or strange but our past success against the chiefs in the playoffs has me worried. You are only going to beat a good team in the playoffs so many times before they end up beating you. Statistically we should of lost to them by now so we are due. It’s like if you flip a coin, it is very unlikely that you will get heads 15x in a row. 

It sounds silly for a reason.

27 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I wonder if chief fans are as concerned with Ebron as the colts are with KELCE. I have to admit I have never watched KELCE play. All I know is Ebron has more touchdowns.  Is he more dangerous then Ebron? What is the difference in their play?

Kelce is the best TE in the league.

29 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I wonder if chief fans are as concerned with Ebron as the colts are with KELCE. I have to admit I have never watched KELCE play. All I know is Ebron has more touchdowns.  Is he more dangerous then Ebron? What is the difference in their play?

Eric is a redzone threat, Kelce is an every down threat 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Kelce is the best TE in the league.

Agree, if we can starve Kelce in this game, our chances of winning will increase significantly. He really is a fantastic TE and I think this could be our weakness. We are not going to stop him, but if we at least get Mahomes looking elsewhere it’s a bonus.

22 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Neither of them are as explosive as Hill. Sterling Shepard exposed the secondary 

And who would have thought Amari Cooper or DeAndre Hopkins would not have a big day against us.  I was telling you there's nobody this team can't beat if we play our game well

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BOTT said:

It sounds silly for a reason.

So you are telling me that it’s common and easy to beat a playoff team over and over and over in a row without losing? I’m seriously asking, not being a jerk. I’m no mathematician but it seems with it being a 50/50 game such as a coin flip that the odds are more likely it coming up tails on any given flip than getting heads to come up 13 times in a row. So I’m just saying that at some point the streak of us dominating the chiefs is going to end. 

14 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I tried to submit this as a poll but there’s a glitch somewhere that is keeping me from doing so.

Maybe it’s better as a discussion. What is your biggest concern ?

Frank Reich being out-coached

The secondary 

Luck’s decision making 

Oline protection

Not getting pressure  on Mahommes 

A “lull” in the offense 

Not pressuring Mahomes.

I initially thought secondary but I started thinking about the recent play of Moore and Desir, in particular. Hooker may play a big part in this game. The secondary is getting better, is healthy and learning to play together. I expect a lot of nickel and dime coverage. 

One thing that may come into play is the Colts ability to limit YAC.

KC averages 165 ypg, in YAC yards. If the Colts can limit YAC by tackling well, the Colts have a great shot of winning. 

My biggest concern is just “beating themselves” stupid penalties, turnovers, dropped passes, etc. (I should have added that to the original post).

9 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

And who would have thought Amari Cooper or DeAndre Hopkins would not have a big day against us.  I was telling you there's nobody this team can't beat if we play our game well

We can beat them but Hill AND Kelce is completely different animal than just Nuk or Cooper. Watkins too if he's healthy. Reid is also much better offensive coach than O'Brien or Jason Garrett. He's a bad game day coach, maybe his only real big weakness (loyalty to his staff might be another) and he's even lost playoff games because of bad game management.

11 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

We don't wanna get down more than 7 points.  Coupled with that, imo, is a fast start like the last 2 weeks.  

My concern would be if we get down early and that crowd noise and pass rush gets gong and excited early.  If we can get up, even by 3, it will significantly take the pressure off our O and D.

A fast start for us like the past 2 weeks would go a Long way to securing a victory.

Couldn't agree more. Their defense is successful when they can pass rush with no fear of you running because they have a 14 point lead. Rack up the sacks and protect the shaky run defense.

The Chiefs score more 1st quarter points than any team in the league and its by a lot. Super super hard to stop them early but, I agree, that is the difference.

Chiefs 9.2 points 1st quarter. The Rams are #2 with 6.6 points.

14 hours ago, BOTT said:

Lack of pressure on mahomes. 

14 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Not keeping Mahomes in the pocket.  He's a nightmare the same way that Russel Wilson is.

14 hours ago, GwinnettColt said:

Lack of pressure on Mahomes with the secondary in a close...well, second. 

These.  If we can't speed up Mahomes throws, the chance of Hill and/or Kelce getting behind defenders for big plays goes up.  I'm hopeful we will maintain gap discipline and containment (as much as possible).

I expect we will try our best to keep everything in front (possibly a lot of zone), and give up the short plays to prevent the big plays.  Increase their plays/drive and try to create turnovers when possible.

15 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

The secondary 

Luck’s decision making

In this order.   If Mahomes has time, he will pick our secondary apart.   Which leads to my #2.  I think the secondary is a bit untested and missing Mitchell may hurt allot. 

I included Luck because he has a way of throwing a bad INT at times.   Since this will probably be a high scoring game, he may feel additional pressure to score on every drive and force balls that he wouldn't usually force.

14 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

This may sound silly and or strange but our past success against the chiefs in the playoffs has me worried. You are only going to beat a good team in the playoffs so many times before they end up beating you. Statistically we should of lost to them by now so we are due. It’s like if you flip a coin, it is very unlikely that you will get heads 15x in a row. 

Google the “Gambler’s Fallacy”

The Chiefs are getting Watkins back.  I think he and Connely have the potential to do more damage than Hill and Kelce, because they are the ones that are going to be running most of the routes between the numbers in that 8-12 yard range.  Those two guys are going to be the ones converting 3rd downs and keeping drives alive, especially if the Chief send Hill deep, forcing the safeties to stay back in that 15-20 yard range.

I'm a little worried about our corners. I think Mahomes will be throwing it deep quite a bit to challenge our defense. Hopefully we can get to him quickly and pressure him but I'm worried that he's probably too quick. Hopefully no more magical TD throws outside the pocket.

I'm concerned that if we get in a shootout (highly likely), Luck will make one of his bonehead gunslinger throws like the pick six against the Titans. That's the one thing about him that I wish he could improve but I think it's just his nature, he'll play like the GOAT for 95% of his throws and then he'll take one that makes you question if Nathan Peterman is wearing a Luck suit. 

I think this game goes a LOT like the Chiefs/Rams game; lots of offense but there will be a couple turnovers from both teams. If we win the turnover battle, I think we win. 

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

Google the “Gambler’s Fallacy”

Thanks for showing me that. I genuinely was wondering.  It just sounded like it logically made sense but now I see why it doesn’t hold up.  Now I feel better about our odds. However I was kinda banking on it helping us against San Diego and New England since I figured we were due to beat them lol.  I truly think we can beat anyone if we limit the drops and stupid turnovers. So I guess beating ourselves is my biggest worry. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

These.  If we can't speed up Mahomes throws, the chance of Hill and/or Kelce getting behind defenders for big plays goes up.  I'm hopeful we will maintain gap discipline and containment (as much as possible).

I expect we will try our best to keep everything in front (possibly a lot of zone), and give up the short plays to prevent the big plays.  Increase their plays/drive and try to create turnovers when possible.

We already play a lot of zone, so I'm sure that's in the plans.  I suspect we'll bring pressure via blitz early and see how Mahomes responds.  But yeah, staying in your lane is going to be the drum that's beat on for this week.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I tried to submit this as a poll but there’s a glitch somewhere that is keeping me from doing so.

Maybe it’s better as a discussion. What is your biggest concern ?

Frank Reich being out-coached

The secondary 

Luck’s decision making 

Oline protection

A “lull” in the offense 

5 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

So you are telling me that it’s common and easy to beat a playoff team over and over and over in a row without losing? I’m seriously asking, not being a jerk. I’m no mathematician but it seems with it being a 50/50 game such as a coin flip that the odds are more likely it coming up tails on any given flip than getting heads to come up 13 times in a row. So I’m just saying that at some point the streak of us dominating the chiefs is going to end. 

Apples meet the oranges...  :^)

I know this sounds odd considering the final score was 35-3, but I just watch the raiders and chiefs game, and the raiders offense was absolutely shredding the chiefs defense both through the air and ground. they had 4 drives which they were moving the ball really well but all 4 ended in turnovers- a fumble by martin, fumble by carr, 2 pick sixes. If we can play smart and not turn the ball over, we can score on every drive. The chiefs also got two touch downs on two VERY LONG PASSES. that plays to our strength on defense. I'd actually advice you guys to watch the game or highlights.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

Thanks for showing me that. I genuinely was wondering.  It just sounded like it logically made sense but now I see why it doesn’t hold up.  Now I feel better about our odds. However I was kinda banking on it helping us against San Diego and New England since I figured we were due to beat them lol.  I truly think we can beat anyone if we limit the drops and stupid turnovers. So I guess beating ourselves is my biggest worry. 

Well, I wouldn’t say that either.  Honestly, this year’s Chiefs are *probably* a better team than this year’s Colts.  So they very well could beat us even if we play up to our capability.  We’re a good team, but so are they.

All I’m saying is that matchups between previous years’ Chiefs and Colts teams will have no bearing on the outcome of the game between this year’s Chiefs and Colts teams...anymore than a Colts/Jets game would be impacted by the result in Super Bowl II.

6 hours ago, King Colt said:

What do you think is going through the minds of the KC fans?

After reading some of their comments in a Chiefs fan forum... it seems like there's not much going through some of their minds at all!  haha

Maybe their overconfidence is just to mask how scared they are of the Colts.  :D

Losing is my biggest concern but I like our chances of winning, otherwise I have no concerns.

Specifically, I would say the obvious, stopping or containing Mahomes.  With his ability, he will get his share of positive plays but limit him to not having a big day.  If it snows, it will impact both QB's, but I think our better O-line and RB's may be the difference maker, actually regardless if it snows or not.   Chiefs RB Kareem Hunt being out has hurt their offense.

1994 is the last time the Chiefs won a playoff game and they are 0-6 at home. KC's d-backs are poor if not the worst in the NFL. KC get penalized a lot.  I just think above all data and opinions the fact is the Colt are steam rolling. Yes, they got blanked vs, the Jags but they allowed only 6 points in that loss and they rank very high in points allowed. This is almost the team we have been hoping for as they seem to get better with every game. I think we are in for a high scoring game. Colts win.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Mahomes picking apart our suspect zone defense. 

We've been lucky playing some pretty bad quarterbacks.  

I'm still not sold on the secondary.  

If we're able to get consistent pressure then I think we'll be okay.

Good points

On 1/9/2019 at 4:21 PM, dodsworth said:

referee crew calling a tight game.

Not sure on your definition of a tight game, but I trust the referees in the playoffs. I'm certain the refs get memo reminders about letting the players play more during the playoffs.

3 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Not sure on your definition of a tight game, but I trust the referees in the playoffs. I'm certain the refs get memo reminders about letting the players play more during the playoffs.

It sure seemed like it was more loosely called in our first playoff game.

The regular season was atrocious with the laundry being thrown on 

A regular basis.