Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fangio new Broncos HC

Mel Kiper's Hair

I remembered something but wasn't sure. Mora was upset about colts management wanting to fire DC Fangio. I remember Mora saying something like " he's a good coach. There are things that people don't know".  

So I did a little research and found this:

https://www.nola.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/07/still_bitter_over_firing_jim_m.html

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I remembered something but wasn't sure. Mora was upset about colts management wanting to fire DC Fangio. I remember Mora saying something like " he's a good coach. There are things that people don't know".  

So I did a little research and found this:

https://www.nola.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/07/still_bitter_over_firing_jim_m.html

""I didn't walk away, though, I got fired," he said. "It was either fire Vic or fire me. I was asked by Bill Polian -- I was told by Bill Polian -- he wanted me to fire Vic Fangio. I said, well, he doesn't deserve to be fired. He's an outstanding coach, was then and he still is. So we had talks with Jim Irsay, it came down and I wouldn't do it."

Bill Polian has confirmed this.  He did ask Mora to fire Fangio (because his defense was going to end up too expensive and required smart veterans {and $$} to run, and with Peyton they needed cap space for offensive weapons). Mora refused, so Bill fired them both.

Polian wanted to move to a Tampa 2 defense, and Tony Dungy (father, along with Monte Kiffin, of it) just happened to become available too.

Mora fired Jan 8, Dungy fired (Bucs) Jan 14, Dungy hired (Colts) Jan 22.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

This is a great move for the Broncos. Fangio and those defenisve players will be a near-perfect match

..and they then decide that re-hiring Gary Kubiak as the offensive coordinator was not a good idea....which is probably also for the best

Why was not hiring kubiak a good idea? I thought that was great match.

7 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Why was not hiring kubiak a good idea? I thought that was great match.

Because Kubiak conservative offense that works, in my opinion, when you have superior talent at most positions.

Denver's offense is behind the times.....but they have good skill players..

they need someone who can install a less predictable attack..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Because Kubiak conservative offense that works, in my opinion, when you have superior talent at most positions.

Denver's offense is behind the times.....but they have good skill players..

they need someone who can install a less predictable attack..

That is the direction they are going, not going with Kubiak.

https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/gary-kubiak-and-broncos-break-up/73-39058de7-7441-4df9-b01b-b17dc0a51369

So much for denying Kubiak the chance to interview with other teams for OC. I am glad Fangio is not surrounding himself with "Elway approved" guys. If not for Wade Philips' D, that 2015 Broncos' O was not going to be stellar, even with a 2013 Peyton, due to all the changes implemented that gave all the veterans issues. 

I do think a guy like Todd Monken would make a good OC for the Broncos, just my opinion of course. When he took over as play caller for Dirk Koetter in Tampa, the offense was more stable and balanced. 

Broncos may look to Mike Munchak as new offensive line coach and might make a play for Antonio Brown, now that DT is gone and Sanders would be coming back from season ending surgery.

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Broncos may look to Mike Munchak as new offensive line coach

Is Mike Munchak gone in Pittsburgh? I was hoping the Vikes would sign him as OC. I would be thrilled if he was our OL coach.

But why would Munchak want to leave Pitt if he is not getting a promotion elsewhere? The OL there is top 5. 

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Is Mike Munchak gone in Pittsburgh? I was hoping the Vikes would sign him as OC. I would be thrilled if he was our OL coach.

But why would Munchak want to leave Pitt if he is not getting a promotion elsewhere? The OL there is top 5. 

I found it. Munchak is no longer under contract with the Steelers.

Munchak May Join Broncos

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I found it. Munchak is no longer under contract with the Steelers.

Munchak May Join Broncos

I sure hope he does.

His expertise is the O-line and that's the Broncos No 1 weakness.

I would be surprised if a former head coach likle Munchak would 'go back' to being a line coach but apparently he has family in the Denver area and would simply like to live there.

there is also the thought that Vic Fangio simply wants to coach the defense and would be a 'figurehead' as head coach.

he would like the offense to be in experienced hands and take care of itself.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

He has grandkids in the Denver area. That is always a selling point!!! :) 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I sure hope he does.

His expertise is the O-line and that's the Broncos No 1 weakness.

I would be surprised if a former head coach likle Munchak would 'go back' to being a line coach but apparently he has family in the Denver area and would simply like to live there.

there is also the thought that Vic Fangio simply wants to coach the defense and would be a 'figurehead' as head coach.

he would like the offense to be in experienced hands and take care of itself.

When Vikes fans were naming their favorites for offensive coordinator, I named Mike Munchak, not even realizing that he was no longer under contract with Pitt. I was the only one who wanted him. Some wanted Gase, McCarthy, Kevin Stefanski (who we eventually retained as OC) and others. I wanted Munchak because of his work with the Pitt OL. We should have gone hard after him, maybe make him Assistant Head Coach. :(

Good luck getting him. I am pleased to see Denver and Tampa give "non-McVay" coaches a chance. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

When Vikes fans were naming their favorites for offensive coordinator, I named Mike Munchak, not even realizing that he was no longer under contract with Pitt. I was the only one who wanted him. Some wanted Gase, McCarthy, Kevin Stefanski (who we eventually retained as OC) and others. I wanted Munchak because of his work with the Pitt OL. We should have gone hard after him, maybe make him Assistant Head Coach. :(

Good luck getting him. I am pleased to see Denver and Tampa give "non-McVay" coaches a chance. 

Me too.

I watch the Rams, Bears and KC and they do new things on offense. No knock

But I still think (hope) you can win by maximizing your defense and with strong conventional leadership on offense.

A guy like Munchak seems strong enough to instruct in ways he knows will work based on decades of experience.

I'm guessing that MM may not want to be the OC, just the line coach.

To be OC or play caller is such a lightning rod position. I guess I dont have to tell you that.

I guess OC doesn't have to be the play caller but then a trusted, experienced 3rd party has to enter the mix

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Me too.

I watch the Rams, Bears and KC and they do new things on offense. No knock

But I still think (hope) you can win by maximizing your defense and with strong conventional leadership on offense.

A guy like Munchak seems strong enough to instruct in ways he knows will work based on decades of experience.

I'm guessing that MM may not want to be the OC, just the line coach.

To be OC or play caller is such a lightning rod position. I guess I dont have to tell you that.

I guess OC doesn't have to be the play caller but then a trusted, experienced 3rd party has to enter the mix

All we need him for is OL, now that we retained Stefanski as OC.  However, I don't see him picking us over Denver if he has family in Denver. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2019 at 10:12 PM, oldunclemark said:

This is a great move for the Broncos. Fangio and those defenisve players will be a near-perfect match

..and they then decide that re-hiring Gary Kubiak as the offensive coordinator was not a good idea....which is probably also for the best

I like what they did with their coaching staff. They hired a lot of young minds (as opposed to the Vikings going with Dennison, Kubiak, etc.). I read that they hired the grandson of legendary Colorado Buffaloes head coach Bill McCartney as the QB coach.

I recall a story from, say 25 to 30 years ago when the Colorado QB was dying of cancer. His girlfriend was the coach's daughter and she gave birth to this child the same year that the QB died. This child T. C. McCartney is the new Broncos QB coach. How time has flown! It seemed that it was 10 years ago. He was an offensive assistant with Shanahan and the 49ers last year and previously coached at LSU. They also hired a few other young coaches. The Broncos have a good mixture of veteran coaches and young coaches that can bring in fresh ideas.

I don't like the Joe Flacco move. But I am rooting for the Broncos to have a good year.