Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich's approach/gameplan heading into Saturday

Legend of Luck

We will need to keep our foot down as KC are a team that can score big and score quick.

At 21-0 up over the Texans, I was never in doubt we would see the game out.  I don't think I would ever be comfortable with a lead against KC, no matter how big, until I saw Andrew taking a knee!

Thankfully their secondary is one we could look to exploit.

• Like 4

Pagano was stuck in a old-school approach, of course, he was a defensive minded guy.  Reich is a QB and probably sees that the best way to win ball games is to have the ball in the QBs hands as much as possible and for the QB to make plays.  Pagano probably saw that more as an opportunity to make a mistake.

Up tempo offenses live on being aggressive, so when we have the ball at any time before 8 minutes in the 4th quarter with a big lead, we're going to be aggressive.  JMO.

11 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Constant pressure on Mahomes, rattle him early and often, keep him from completing those freak passes!!!

If those passes are down the field, that's what Hooker is supposed to do.

I wouldn’t be comfortable with a 21-0 lead on KC. 28-0, maybe. But anything less than four scores and we’re just asking for trouble if we play soft. 

It was obvious we backed off during the Texans game and wasn’t able to move the ball until Mack needed to run out the clock. None of that soft stuff this weekend. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barry Sears said:

I like his mentality to keep pushing.  Never understood backing off when having a lead.  Too many comebacks by other teams to prove that it's the wrong approach.

NEVER play not to lose...PLAY to WIN

I can see it both ways. Against the Texans up 21 it is probably a bad idea to throw 50-50 balls on third down or go for it on 4th and 1 etc. There are some things you need to tone down, especially when playing an incredibly opportunistic defense. I felt the only way the Texans would stay in that game was if we threw a pick six or if watt or Clowney got a strip sack, etc. So against them? Probably a good idea to get a least a little conservative.  Against the Cheifs? I'm more comfortable going for their throats if we get up because they do not scare me as much defensively. 

1 hour ago, Barry Sears said:

I like his mentality to keep pushing.  Never understood backing off when having a lead.  Too many comebacks by other teams to prove that it's the wrong approach.

You have to balance that with proper clock management. If you want to throw to score, but end up being unsuccessful, you give the other team more time to score.

I get what he's saying, but realistically it's smart to milk some clock in this game if you can. 

Nobody is saying play Pagano ball, but you've gotta see how their run D is doing that day. If Mack and co are busting off runs of 5-7 yards a clip, keep doing it within reason.

It would be dumb to try 50 passes, chances for mistakes go way up. Luck has to avoid his brain fart interceptions and he's gotta watch for batted up passes. He seems to get a good amount of passes knocked down for such a tall QB.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

I get what he's saying, but realistically it's smart to milk some clock in this game if you can. 

Nobody is saying play Pagano ball, but you've gotta see how their run D is doing that day. If Mack and co are busting off runs of 5-7 yards a clip, keep doing it within reason.

It would be dumb to try 50 passes, chances for mistakes go way up. Luck has to avoid his brain fart interceptions and he's gotta watch for batted up passes. He seems to get a good amount of passes knocked down for such a tall QB.

He didn't say that.  Basically what he's saying is business as usual.

• Like 1

Just now, krunk said:

He didn't say that.  Basically what he's saying is business as usual.

Yeah I was kind of commenting on the crowd that probably thinks 'let's just chuck it'. 

I'm definitely in the 'keep it balanced' crowd.

• Like 1

The Chiefs are going to test the Colts' secondary with some big downfield pass attempts. I just hope we don't do them any favors with needless pass interference calls. The secondary must play with discipline and be coached to play the ball and not the receiver.

• Like 3

It would be really cool to see the Colts come out on the first drive and not pass the ball once. Having every play be a run and still score a TD. Send a physical message that the Colts are gonna punch KC in the mouth the entire game. Doubt that happens tho.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, HOZER said:

Constant pressure on Mahomes, rattle him early and often, keep him from completing those freak passes!!!

i think playing small lineup is better kc line is so good our pass rush is average.  do what we did to the texans play small . our front 4 can stop the run , drop every one into coverage where all most every wr has two guys around him and use extra corners to spy on mahomes . the whole game keep him from scrambling make him throw into tight windows and go on long drives , while sending corner blitz like last week our game plan last week is perfect this week .  mahomes is to mobile to send LB blitz

• Like 1

We can run and pass against them and will mix both into a well constructed gameplay. We should be able to put points on the board. I think the key is to put together time consuming drives that end up with points - preferably TD's. I do not think we need to get into a shoot out with them. Mahomes will be a challenge so I hope we can put some pressure on him and get some sacks and perhaps force 2-3 turnovers.  If we cannot pressure Mahomes and if he has time to throw then he will be dangerous. Pressure is on Chiefs as #1 seed. Colts have exceeded all expectations and then some. this is Mahome's first playoff game. Luck has plenty of playoff experience and is playing great. A team that starts off 1-5 has had 10 weeks of play off games before the due or die WC game. Colts have been one game from elimination for past 11 weeks. 

Colts have confidence have grown as a team and are the most dangerous team in the AFC right now. They can win this game!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think they put over 50 up and still lost. Just wondering what they did to cause that. The chiefs also had two fumbles in that game.

Aaron Donald was responsible for at least two of them. What I noticed is sometimes Mahomes  doesn't  step up in pocket like most other passers. He also likes to hold on to ball and take deep shots. He's got a little farve and rodgers in him where he loves to air it out and can extend plays with legs and make lucky pass plays across body.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 9:28 AM, Barry Sears said:

I agree.  It's amazing how some coaches seem to forget that the only way to keep the ball is to move the ball.