Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arians New HC at Tampa; Kingsbury HC at Arizona....

NewColtsFan

Two late hires in the last hour....

Our old friend, Bruce Arians,  who said recently the only job he really wanted was Cleveland...    is now the new HC with the Bucs.     Good luck to Jameis Winston.

And Cliff Kingsbury,   FIRED from his job at Texas Tech,  and who just got hired as the OC for USC (not South Carolina)  has become the new HC for the Cardinals.       Good luck Josh Rosen.

Good for Coach Arians. I wish him well in Tampa. I know him and Todd Bowles are close. That would be a great hire for his defensive coordinator.

I am puzzled at the appeal to Kliff Kingsbury as a head coach. 6 years at Texas Tech and he was below .500 4 of the 6 years, the program didn't trend upwards, and his best year was his first year when he went 8-5. I still can't believe the Cardinals fired Steve Wilks after just one season. I'm even more surprised that it was to hire Kingsbury. I might be wrong on Kingsbury but I just don't get the appeal.

31 minutes ago, ar7 said:

Good for Coach Arians. I wish him well in Tampa. I know him and Todd Bowles are close. That would be a great hire for his defensive coordinator.

I am puzzled at the appeal to Kliff Kingsbury as a head coach. 6 years at Texas Tech and he was below .500 4 of the 6 years, the program didn't trend upwards, and his best year was his first year when he went 8-5. I still can't believe the Cardinals fired Steve Wilks after just one season. I'm even more surprised that it was to hire Kingsbury. I might be wrong on Kingsbury but I just don't get the appeal.

It's clear they want an offensive minded coach who used to be a quarterback to coach up Rosen. Kinda like with Reich and Luck but on a lower level.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ar7 said:

In this thread,  Krunk has it right.    Kingsbury got hired for his work with Pat Mahomes.   He's shown he can coach up a top QB.     Now he gets to try and help Josh Rosen.

Whether he can do all the other things a good HC has to do is another question.    He'll need a strong staff.     Can he put one together?

• Like 3

I thought Arians health was a issue to him being a HC?

Anyway, good luck to him health wise and with the Bucs. There's definitely talent on the offensive side. I hope he keeps Winston and his long time consuming routes don't get him killed.

Kingsbury I don't know much about him except he's known for QB coaching. It's good to see fresh blood instead of the same retreads that keep getting hired. I think Rosen has the talent to be coached up. Good luck to him and Cardinal fans. That franchise sure can use some.

so.... McCarthy just said he would only take the Jets job, word is they like him..... say, Jets Hire McCarthy, that leaves Cincy and Denver.....  I think Elway is gonna make his last play bringing in a veteran, or a familiar face....  Shanahan?  Cincy may be the biggest threat to steal away Eberflus.....  don't think they have asked yet, but with any luck....  he'll be here one more year to really get our defensive identity ingrained....

11 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

so.... McCarthy just said he would only take the Jets job, word is they like him..... say, Jets Hire McCarthy, that leaves Cincy and Denver.....  I think Elway is gonna make his last play bringing in a veteran, or a familiar face....  Shanahan?  Cincy may be the biggest threat to steal away Eberflus.....  don't think they have asked yet, but with any luck....  he'll be here one more year to really get our defensive identity ingrained....

Cleveland also but it sounds like cincy is going with either hue jackson or Vance Joseph 

The Cardinals hire is a head scratcher to me. Because Kingsbury coached Pat Mahomes in college he is ready to run a NFL team? He was mediocre at best coaching in college, but I guess you never know.

It looks like the Broncos have narrowed their search to Fangio and Munchak.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25715445/denver-broncos-vic-fangio-mike-munchak-head-coaching-job

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am surprised that Arians would take the Bucs job. Good luck with that. 

His job is be quarterback Whisperer

https://www.amazon.com/Quarterback-Whisperer-How-Build-Elite/dp/0316432261/ref=reader_auth_dp

For Jameis Winston.  The Bucs exercised 5th year option.  This will determine whether the Bucs sign him long term, or move on next season.  I read Joe Maddon (former Rays and current Cubs Manager) helped recruit B.A. to the Tampa area

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/09/cubs-manager-joe-maddon-helped-convince-bruce-arians-to-take-buccaneers-job/

9 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I thought Arians health was a issue to him being a HC?

Anyway, good luck to him health wise and with the Bucs. There's definitely talent on the offensive side. I hope he keeps Winston and his long time consuming routes don't get him killed.

Arians brought his doctor to the interview and took a full physical at a local Tampa hospital-

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2019/01/07/bucs-make-bruce-arians-take-full-physical-include-his-doctor-as-part-of-interview-process/

B.A. will bring Todd Bowles ( as DC ) and much of his AZ Cardinals staff to the Bucs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Cleveland also but it sounds like cincy is going with either hue jackson or Vance Joseph 

I know they know Hue Jackson but he hasn't really shown much as a head coach.  Cincy ought to cast the net a bit wider.

14 hours ago, ar7 said:

14 hours ago, krunk said:

It's clear they want an offensive minded coach who used to be a quarterback to coach up Rosen. Kinda like with Reich and Luck but on a lower level.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

In this thread,  Krunk has it right.    Kingsbury got hired for his work with Pat Mahomes.   He's shown he can coach up a top QB.     Now he gets to try and help Josh Rosen.

Not only that, but Kingsbury was also the offensive coordinator when Johnny Manziel was tearing up defenses at Texas A&M. Kingsbury was the offensive coordinator for Houston when Case Keenum was setting passing records there. Kingsbury had even convinced Baker Mayfield to come to play at Texas Tech, but he eventually transferred so Kingsbury went to Mahomes instead.  Involvement with three starting quarterbacks and two Heisman trophy winners. He was also coached by Mike Leach at Texas Tech. Pretty good resume'.

Whether he can do all the other things a good HC has to do is another question.    He'll need a strong staff.     Can he put one together?

Agreed.  He will be dealing (and making on and off field decisions) with men that have wives and kids, not college kids.  He'll need a good strong NFL savvy staff.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The smartest thing McVay did was to hire Wade Philips right away. I wonder who the Cardinals will bring in for DC - maybe they will bring in Rex Ryan??? :) 

Kingsbury's Texas Tech squad allowed Kalen Ballage to score 8 TDs, not 1, 2, 3 or 4, 8 TDs, let that sink in. He was fired because he did not put a premium on the defensive side of the ball and lost too many games because of that. 

We will see what his staff is going to be. Chuck Pagano might end up being their DC as a last resort i.e. if Pagano wants to be DC again.

14 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

If I was the jets I'd go with Adam Gase he will have a good young QB to work with 

The slate is clean and perfect for that to happen. If Gase was a possibility, the Falcons would have waited and not hired Dirk Koetter for OC. Gary Kubiak was blocked by Elway from leaving anywhere else for OC, that was the other OC possibility for the Falcons.

Mike McCarthy is not nearly as sought after as people thought, neither was Josh McDaniels, we are finding. Todd Monken is the hot OC candidate now, and the Titans are looking into him, I heard. He took over for Dirk Koetter for the Bucs play calling and the results were really impressive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Not only that, but Kingsbury was also the offensive coordinator when Johnny Manziel was tearing up defenses at Texas A&M. Kingsbury was the offensive coordinator for Houston when Case Keenum was setting passing records there. Kingsbury had even convinced Baker Mayfield to come to play at Texas Tech, but he eventually transferred so Kingsbury went to Mahomes instead.  Involvement with three starting quarterbacks and two Heisman trophy winners. He was also coached by Mike Leach at Texas Tech. Pretty good resume'.

Do you have a source for that?

Mayfield transferred because of the treatment he got from Kingsbury and he wasn't promised the starting QB job over Davis Webb.. Whether Bakers was right or wrong, dunno, but Kingsbury first went to Webb but injuried gave an opportunity to Mahomes who then took the spot from Webb. 

2 hours ago, Finball said:

Do you have a source for that?

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/01/baker-mayfield-kliff-kingsbury-feud-falling-out-texas-tech-oklahoma-browns-cardinals-nfl-2019

2 hours ago, Finball said:

Mayfield transferred because of the treatment he got from Kingsbury and he wasn't promised the starting QB job over Davis Webb.. Whether Bakers was right or wrong, dunno, but Kingsbury first went to Webb but injuried gave an opportunity to Mahomes who then took the spot from Webb. 

Mayfield was a walk on, went 5-0, got hurt.  Then the troubles with Kingsbury began... and then he transferred to Oklahoma. Mahomes went to Texas Tech the very next year.

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/01/baker-mayfield-kliff-kingsbury-feud-falling-out-texas-tech-oklahoma-browns-cardinals-nfl-2019

Mayfield was a walk on, went 5-0, got hurt.  Then the troubles with Kingsbury began... and then he transferred to Oklahoma. Mahomes went to Texas Tech the very next year.

Yes but he went with Webb before Mahomes. That link doesn't say that it was Kingsbury who convinced Mayfield to play at Texas Tech.

I think Arians is really screwing up guys. I know ya’ll have a soft spot for him but Tampa? James’s? At his age? And his face is dark beet red. I hope he gets on some blood pressure medicine soon lol!

Rex Ryan’s name kept coming up on every unofficial source there is for all 3 possible AFCE jobs. It’d have made some fun SNF that’s for sure but it looks like he’s staying in the studio.

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

I think Arians is really screwing up guys. I know ya’ll have a soft spot for him but Tampa? James’s? At his age? And his face is dark beet red. I hope he gets on some blood pressure medicine soon lol!

Yeah. I don't know the details, but if he ended up choosing the Bucs over the Browns, that is pretty strange. 

He will be facing Drew Brees, Matt Ryan and Cam Newton. His captain of the offense? Winston... Not exactly warm feelings there. 

I'm lukewarm about Arians. He did an admirable job holding down the fort and leading the team to the playoffs, but his offensive scheme can be quarterback killing if the offensive line is putrid. 

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Yeah. I don't know the details, but if he ended up choosing the Bucs over the Browns, that is pretty strange. 

He will be facing Drew Brees, Matt Ryan and Cam Newton. His captain of the offense? Winston... Not exactly warm feelings there. 

I'm lukewarm about Arians. He did an admirable job holding down the fort and leading the team to the playoffs, but his offensive scheme can be quarterback killing if the offensive line is putrid. 

I don't think the Browns even requested an interview with Arians.  I'm guessing they would like Baker to stay healthy.

"For new Bucs coach Bruce Arians, success begins with developing a bond with his quarterback. And not only does Arians already have a history with Jameis Winston, he believes he's capable of winning a Super Bowl.

Winston stood out to Arians as a teenager, when Winston wowed him at the quarterback camps he held in Arizona. So in that context, the marriage between Arians — the known quarterback whisperer and a 25-year-old Winston still trying to reach his potential as he enters his fifth NFL season — is a fitting one.

Arians loves his quarterbacks. Some of the game's best quarterbacks enjoyed their best seasons under Arians' guidance, and in Tampa Bay, Arians' offense will center around Winston."

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2019/01/09/why-bruce-arians-loves-quarterbacks/

This is the last Hurrah... for Jameis and Bruce...  They're in it together.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

"For new Bucs coach Bruce Arians, success begins with developing a bond with his quarterback. And not only does Arians already have a history with Jameis Winston, he believes he's capable of winning a Super Bowl.

Winston stood out to Arians as a teenager, when Winston wowed him at the quarterback camps he held in Arizona. So in that context, the marriage between Arians — the known quarterback whisperer and a 25-year-old Winston still trying to reach his potential as he enters his fifth NFL season — is a fitting one.

Arians loves his quarterbacks. Some of the game's best quarterbacks enjoyed their best seasons under Arians' guidance, and in Tampa Bay, Arians' offense will center around Winston."

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2019/01/09/why-bruce-arians-loves-quarterbacks/

This is the last Hurrah... for Jameis and Bruce...  They're in it together.

You’re right...but this isn’t Dinaneyland. I don’t see a fairytale ending here. If anything this is worse. Arians isn’t a patient man and Jameis is a train wreck off the field.