Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Braden Smith vs Justin Houston


Recommended Posts

This is the one matchup I'm looking forward to seeing the most. Braden Smith to me has been our most impressive rookie since Chris Ballard drafted him in the second round of the 2018 NFL Draft. Justin Houston is one of the best in the NFL and is a Quarterback's nightmare. I don't recall Braden playing anyone on Houston's level, but if he's able to maintain Houston and not allow him the chance to be all over Luck. From what I heard, Braden Smith is a beast in the weight room and is impressively strong which is something I love about him and Nelson. 

 

What do you all expect during this matchup?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Houston and Ford against Smith is the money matchup when we're on offense in my opinion. As great as Braden has been, he's seemed to struggle against the speedy edge rushers; Cameron Wake for instance. He was great against Watt but these types give him trouble. I think Q/Kelly/Glow can handle their interior rush, and they aren't a big blitzing team, so I'm hoping they use some TE/RB help over there on the right side. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can name two other rookies that have been just has impressive and better than Smith this year on our team! Which is a good thing. Also Smith went against jj watt last week and shut him down and D Lawrence I think. So he has faced better level that Houston but still he's up there with the best like jj.  Should be a great battle.  This will be our hardest test for our oline this year by far I think

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Houston and Ford against Smith is the money matchup when we're on offense in my opinion. As great as Braden has been, he's seemed to struggle against the speedy edge rushers; Cameron Wake for instance. He was great against Watt but these types give him trouble. I think Q/Kelly/Glow can handle their interior rush, and they aren't a big blitzing team, so I'm hoping they use some TE/RB help over there on the right side. 

I agree, but for a guy whose a rookie and switched positions halfway through the season, he's been a blessing. Like Nelson, he seems to be improving every week.

18 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

I can name two other rookies that have been just has impressive and better than Smith this year on our team! Which is a good thing. Also Smith went against jj watt last week and shut him down and D Lawrence I think. So he has faced better level that Houston but still he's up there with the best like jj.  Should be a great battle.  This will be our hardest test for our oline this year by far I think

I'm just referring to the offensive line. Darius Leonard obviously has been a gift sent from God himself. Lol

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

This is the one matchup I'm looking forward to seeing the most. Braden Smith to me has been our most impressive rookie since Chris Ballard drafted him in the second round of the 2018 NFL Draft. Justin Houston is one of the best in the NFL and is a Quarterback's nightmare. I don't recall Braden playing anyone on Houston's level, but if he's able to maintain Houston and not allow him the chance to be all over Luck. From what I heard, Braden Smith is a beast in the weight room and is impressively strong which is something I love about him and Nelson. 

 

What do you all expect during this matchup?

Braden just went against both Watt and Clowney, two of the absolute best in the league. And on occasion, Reader who is pretty dang good too. I’d say those 3 are near or at Houston’s level

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Colts will probably do something similar to what they have done other times Smith has faced a speed rusher.  The will bring a TE next to him or a 6th lineman and force the edge rusher out a bit wide to give Smith more time to do his kick step and get into position.

 

Smith did a good job against Watt and Clowney but they are a different type of edge rusher than Houston.  Houston is faster, quicker first step and better lean and turning the corner.  And let's also not forget there were times when Watt pushed Smith right back to Luck.  

 

People will now argue that Smith has been doing a great job and I agree, he has been doing great and I think Ballard got lucky in finding the RT of the future when he drafted a guard but he didn't play flawlessly.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

This is the one matchup I'm looking forward to seeing the most. Braden Smith to me has been our most impressive rookie since Chris Ballard drafted him in the second round of the 2018 NFL Draft. Justin Houston is one of the best in the NFL and is a Quarterback's nightmare. I don't recall Braden playing anyone on Houston's level, but if he's able to maintain Houston and not allow him the chance to be all over Luck. From what I heard, Braden Smith is a beast in the weight room and is impressively strong which is something I love about him and Nelson. 

 

What do you all expect during this matchup?

I think JJ Watt more than qualifies as being on Houstons level.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

This is the one matchup I'm looking forward to seeing the most. Braden Smith to me has been our most impressive rookie since Chris Ballard drafted him in the second round of the 2018 NFL Draft. Justin Houston is one of the best in the NFL and is a Quarterback's nightmare. I don't recall Braden playing anyone on Houston's level, but if he's able to maintain Houston and not allow him the chance to be all over Luck. From what I heard, Braden Smith is a beast in the weight room and is impressively strong which is something I love about him and Nelson. 

 

What do you all expect during this matchup?

 

Off-topic, but why is the text of this post centered instead of aligned left?  It's not as easy on the eyes when trying to read it...

 

And why does your profile pic (and sometimes username) change on an almost daily basis?  I've mistaken you for multiple different people a few times now...

 

It's like you have multiple faces/personalities and I don't know which one I'm dealing with.  haha

 

8497661474_b8f9a2777f_b.jpg    :scratch:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krunk said:

I think JJ Watt more than qualifies as being on Houstons level.

I always respect your positions on this forum but you would have to agree that players are often a top notch player at their position and have different styles at achieving that. So I think we can say that Watt is an absolute monster but his excellence is based from power and technique, not from speed and quick twitch. Houston is based on speed and quick twitch and that makes him great at what he does as well. Both styles create different troubles for a lineman. One style can become dominated while the other makes them look like a rookie. We know Smith can handle the power guy one on one, can he dominate a speed rusher the same way? He may but I’d hope for a bit, they add a little insurance help to his side until he shows he has this. Save Luck is the mantra. Look forward to your thoughts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Houston is very fast. This will be an interesting matchup to watch. I can also see a few times where they bring Nelson across to attack him. It's been awesome to see our line mix it up and confuse the pass rushers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

How many 3-4 premier OLBs has Braden Smith faced so far? This would be more of a Von Miller type quickness match up than a J.J.Watt like power match up. Will be interesting to watch. How many of those match ups in close games has Braden Smith encountered? 

 

We have been able to run so well in these last 10 games and have a lead most of the time that we have really not had to go against too many pass rushers of that kind in too many passing situations. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Superman said:

Justin Houston isn't the problem, IMO. Like @Coffeedrinker said, helping on the perimeter is a fairly simple fix. It's Chris Jones with 15.5 sacks from the inside that I'm worried about.

Not only Jones on the inside but I do not think the Colts have faced a D with three guys that can rush the passer like Jones, Ford and Houston can do.  So that will minimize the help the interior guys will be able to provide the tackles, so AC and Smith will be on an island more than usual.

 

That being said, I do think Reich and Sirinni (sp) will design a scheme to minimize the impact as much as possible.  There was a play in the Houston game (I actually paused the game and broke it down for my wife (who listened patiently, she's a good woman).  But there was a running play where by motion and alignment they took Watt out of the equation and no body blocked him.  It was a run to the left.  Luck brought a WR in tight to Smith.  On the snap the WR took off to the right flat but Watt had to step towards the WR for the quick pass.  Smith ran to the left to shield the LB and just as Watt was about to give chase, he saw Nelson pulling towards him so he pulled up to set the edge.  I told my wife that is what a good offensive coach and system can do, they nullified the best person on the D by doing nothing to him.  The only thing I saw wrong with the play is the hand-off, IMO, should have been from a counter move.  But maybe they were doing they were setting something up for later in the game.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

just as Watt was about to give chase, he saw Nelson pulling towards him so he pulled up to set the edge.

 

Was that in Saturday's game, or the previous Texans game? Because they ran that same concept in the previous game. I missed it on Saturday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

I always respect your positions on this forum but you would have to agree that players are often a top notch player at their position and have different styles at achieving that. So I think we can say that Watt is an absolute monster but his excellence is based from power and technique, not from speed and quick twitch. Houston is based on speed and quick twitch and that makes him great at what he does as well. Both styles create different troubles for a lineman. One style can become dominated while the other makes them look like a rookie. We know Smith can handle the power guy one on one, can he dominate a speed rusher the same way? He may but I’d hope for a bit, they add a little insurance help to his side until he shows he has this. Save Luck is the mantra. Look forward to your thoughts. 

While Watt isn't the exact same style as Houston I wouldn't dismiss Watt as being just technique and power.  Watt is also speed and we saw that when he blew by Smith for the sack in the first game.  I acknowledge they are not the same but I just feel like if he could deal with Watt I think he will be okay with Houston.   I think JJ Watt is a much bigger game wrecker than Houston.  And I think overall we do a great job with our scheme to insure Smith doesn't look like a fool out there.  I'm not that worried about Houston.   I do see your points though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The Colts will probably do something similar to what they have done other times Smith has faced a speed rusher.  The will bring a TE next to him or a 6th lineman and force the edge rusher out a bit wide to give Smith more time to do his kick step and get into position.

 

Smith did a good job against Watt and Clowney but they are a different type of edge rusher than Houston.  Houston is faster, quicker first step and better lean and turning the corner.  And let's also not forget there were times when Watt pushed Smith right back to Luck.  

 

People will now argue that Smith has been doing a great job and I agree, he has been doing great and I think Ballard got lucky in finding the RT of the future when he drafted a guard but he didn't play flawlessly.

I agree Smith will be tested again this week, and i love the fact he never backs down. In the Texans game Watt only having 2 tackles one pass deflected, and no sacks I'd have to say Braden went Beast Mode and handled his business like a pro. Hard to imagine this line getting better each year

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Superman said:

 

Was that in Saturday's game, or the previous Texans game? Because they ran that same concept in the previous game. I missed it on Saturday.

Saturday's game.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Waldon said:

I agree Smith will be tested again this week, and i love the fact he never backs down. In the Texans game Watt only having 2 tackles one pass deflected, and no sacks I'd have to say Braden went Beast Mode and handled his business like a pro. Hard to imagine this line getting better each year

Smith definitely played well.  But I don't use, nor do I care about the stat lines of the opposing player(s) to judge olineman.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The Colts will probably do something similar to what they have done other times Smith has faced a speed rusher.  The will bring a TE next to him or a 6th lineman and force the edge rusher out a bit wide to give Smith more time to do his kick step and get into position.

 

Smith did a good job against Watt and Clowney but they are a different type of edge rusher than Houston.  Houston is faster, quicker first step and better lean and turning the corner.  And let's also not forget there were times when Watt pushed Smith right back to Luck.  

 

People will now argue that Smith has been doing a great job and I agree, he has been doing great and I think Ballard got lucky in finding the RT of the future when he drafted a guard but he didn't play flawlessly.

 

Ford is also very different from Watt. Very fast and quick twitch...the type of pass rusher we have seen blow past Smith at times during the season (which is what you might expect out of a rookie RT who was drafted to play G).

 

I agree that they will give him some help...like they have been all season. Smith has been great, but I am not sure why people keep acting like he is out their on his own all the time. The offensive coaches have been very good...and have had a plan every week for that side of the line. And it has often included chipping the LDE with a TE or keeping a RB back to help. 

 

I expect much of the same this week.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, krunk said:

While Watt isn't the exact same style as Houston I wouldn't dismiss Watt as being just technique and power.  Watt is also speed and we saw that when he blew by Smith for the sack in the first game.  I acknowledge they are not the same but I just feel like if he could deal with Watt I think he will be okay with Houston.   I think JJ Watt is a much bigger game wrecker than Houston.  And I think overall we do a great job with our scheme to insure Smith doesn't look like a fool out there.  I'm not that worried about Houston.   I do see your points though.

I hope you are correct. We have certainly faced some defenses this season to get better with the experience. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

Off-topic, but why is the text of this post centered instead of aligned left?  It's not as easy on the eyes when trying to read it...

 

And why does your profile pic (and sometimes username) change on an almost daily basis?  I've mistaken you for multiple different people a few times now...

 

It's like you have multiple faces/personalities and I don't know which one I'm dealing with.  haha

 

8497661474_b8f9a2777f_b.jpg    :scratch:

It was meant to be read as a poem. ;-)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shastamasta said:

 

Ford is also very different from Watt. Very fast and quick twitch...the type of pass rusher we have seen blow past Smith at times during the season (which is what you might expect out of a rookie RT who was drafted to play G).

 

I agree that they will give him some help...like they have been all season. Smith has been great, but I am not sure why people keep acting like he is out their on his own all the time. The offensive coaches have been very good...and have had a plan every week for that side of the line. And it has often included chipping the LDE with a TE or keeping a RB back to help. 

 

I expect much of the same this week.

I'm only kind of so so on Dee Ford.  Houston is the legit guy for me and Chris Jones.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, krunk said:

I'm only kind of so so on Dee Ford.  Houston is the legit guy for me and Chris Jones.

 

I think he's breaking out. Kind of helps when you have Houston and Jones on your team. But if the Colts are giving extra attention to those two, I worry about Ford just blowing Smith off the ball.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

 

I think he's breaking out. Kind of helps when you have Houston and Jones on your team. But if the Colts are giving extra attention to those two, I worry about Ford just blowing Smith off the ball.

 

They already have a plan for KC's rush.

 

You might know this already, but the Colts SOP this season has been for Marcus Brady to start scouting the pressure schemes for the week's opponent one week in advance. So in Week 16 while we're getting ready for the Giants, Brady was scouting and reporting on the Titans for Week 17.

 

In this case, since our opponent was locked in -- if we won, we were playing KC -- Brady was able to scout the Chiefs' exclusively last week, just like he would have done during the regular season. I think this is why Luck insisted on being in the building Monday even though the team had the day off, so he could stick to the SOP.

 

Can we execute the plan? We handled the Bills, the Jags, the Cowboys, and the Texans. We've played and handled better DLs than the Chiefs this season -- different, but better. I think, as long as we don't get into a must-pass game situation (and we might, but the goal is obviously not to), KC's DL doesn't pose any overwhelming challenge to the Colts OL. 

 

Ideally, we run the ball effectively and stay ahead of the chains, so we don't get into 'pin their ears back' pass rush situations, but I don't see the Chiefs giving us anything we haven't seen before. At least, not without sending extra rushers. And the Colts SOP has come up with a plan for that as well.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, csmopar said:

Braden just went against both Watt and Clowney, two of the absolute best in the league. And on occasion, Reader who is pretty dang good too. I’d say those 3 are near or at Houston’s level

 

Houston has never been the same since his injury...

 

Ford has been clutch this year though 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Superman said:

Justin Houston isn't the problem, IMO. Like @Coffeedrinker said, helping on the perimeter is a fairly simple fix. It's Chris Jones with 15.5 sacks from the inside that I'm worried about.

 

Is he the guy that will go against Glowinski? 

Venturi said he was concerned about his matchup but I didn't get the name.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

Is he the guy that will go against Glowinski? 

Venturi said he was concerned about his matchup but I didn't get the name.

 

They'll probably try to have him going 1on1 against Glowinski as much as possible in obvious passing situations. Like mentioned above, the key is to limit those situations.

 

From PFF's front 7 rankings

 

Quote

The Chiefs’ front seven ranking depends almost solely on how you weigh each aspect. Judging by run defense and coverage they’d be at the bottom. Judging by the pass rush, they’d be right near the top.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

Is he the guy that will go against Glowinski? 

Venturi said he was concerned about his matchup but I didn't get the name.

 

Venturi did mention him. I don't think he'll go against Glowinski exclusively, he lines up in various spots throughout the game. But on passing downs he's mostly shaded on a guard, so Glowinski will get well acquainted with him throughout the game.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Superman said:

 

You might know this already, but the Colts SOP this season has been for Marcus Brady to start scouting the pressure schemes for the week's opponent one week in advance. So in Week 16 while we're getting ready for the Giants, Brady was scouting and reporting on the Titans for Week 17.

 

 

Thankfully, he is not Marcus Brody :) 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...