Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Big Q Versus Chris Jones

krunk

I had to post this again. I can't wait to see that matchup. Jones has 15 sacks on the year as a DL. I want to see if Big Q can get him under control. Will Big Q get some pancakes or will Chris teach the young man a few lessons?

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

I had to post this again. I can't wait to see that matchup. Jones has 15 sacks on the year as a DL. I want to see if Big Q can get him under control. Will Big Q get some pancakes or will Chris teach the young man a few lessons?

I think Jones (and Ford) get a lot of those sacks because they’re usually so far ahead they don’t have to worry about stopping the run.

Deja vu?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

We could very well be playing catch up in this game.    The chiefs are going to score on this D.   They have to many weapons not to 

KC's defense is much worse than Indy's.  Both offenses are strong, but only the Colts have a good defense between these two teams

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

We could very well be playing catch up in this game.    The chiefs are going to score on this D.   They have to many weapons not to 

We don’t know that. This is playoff football. We need to control the clock with the run to set up the pass.

what does scare me is they have put  up a lot of points up even on teams like the ravens and chargers who have good defenses.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

We don’t know that. This is playoff football. We need to control the clock with the run to set up the pass.

You’re right about that.  If we can run the ball, they won’t be teeing off.  

Plus, you know Frank has plays to take advantage of a team that sends its DEs and LBs upfield a lot.  

31 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think the chiefs sack total is inflated a little. They were way way ahead in so many games it made the opposing team have to pass all the time.

That matchup will be interesting.

Also we've dropped back the 2nd most in the league. Wouldn't be surprised if the Chefs don't sack Luck at all.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

That's what we all thought in the early 2000's with Manning and all of his weapons and there were quite a few playoff games they couldn't even break 20.

Playoffs are whole different beast and we already have a game under our belt. It will be interesting to see how Mahomes plays in his first playoff game.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

That's what we all thought in the early 2000's with Manning and all of his weapons and there were quite a few playoff games they couldn't even break 20.

Playoffs are whole different beast and we already have a game under our belt. It will be interesting to see how Mahomes plays in his first playoff game.

Ageeed.   And also have to keep in mind how bad Andy Reid is in the playoffs.   If Mahomes was an actual rookie I would be more confident 

I agree Luck has the more playoff experience and that will help.   But our youth on this team could be a factor 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I remember something about Jones usually has a good game against players lighter than him.

Jones -  6'6"  311

Nelson -  6'5"  331

I have a feeling that one inch of height will be the ONLY inch Nelson gives up to Jones.  :thmup:

Jones is a strong dude. I remember when Denzelle Good was playing guard. Chris Jones just jacked him up and threw him in the backfield like he weighed 100lbs. I was like damn!

I wonder if we will see the “Achilles heel” of the great pass rusher (aka what often happened with our greats Freeney and Mathis) — getting burnt by a good run blocking Oline. I readily admit I didn’t have access to watch more than 2 of the Chiefs games so I don’t know a lot about their pass rush/sack success in particular but it seems a generality in the NFL that there are some excellent pash rushers who end up like Clowney — buried underneath BigQ or pushed beyond the boundaries of a good run block. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

I'm sure Jones will see a lot of double teams from Kelly and Nelson, but whenever asked to block Jones one on one, I'm more than confident in Nelson to contain Jones.

They might line Jones on the Glowinski side, I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

There will definitely be matchups where Jones gets the upper hand. 

The wildcard in all of this is Luck, his footwork and pocket awareness. They'll be able to get to the backfield, but Luck isn't an old man. He can scramble around like Russell Wilson when he needs to. Just like the first touchdown against the Texans, for example. 

Luck's play extending is probably why Big Q fights until the whistle, because otherwise he has no idea is Andrew is still trying to make a play. 

Big Q can hold his own with the best of them, he's proved it time and again.

Just get the ball out quick, and run it at them until they bring the safeties up and then play action and make them pay. I'd like to see some bootlegs, and get Luck on the move to keep 'em guessing. 

I think this coaching staff is smart enough to figure out what needs to be done in order to win this game.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think the chiefs sack total is inflated a little. They were way way ahead in so many games it made the opposing team have to pass all the time.

That matchup will be interesting.

There you have it. Forcing teams to throw and play catch up equals sacks. 

Been there done that with our high power offense with our bookend DE's. Unfortunately we have one SB to show for it. 

There are so many match ups on the oline and their front that will be interesting to watch.

However, no matter how good their pass rush is, even if they win some of these matchups, they still give up tons of points and yards, so though interesting to watch, we still should be able to put up a lot of points, which is the bottom line. 

Running the ball and slowing down their offense will be the key. 

21 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

what does scare me is they have put  up a lot of points up even on teams like the ravens and chargers who have good defenses.

There are similarities between this Chiefs team and our teams during the Manning era.

Their defense isn’t elite, in the traditional sense of the term.  It’s designed to be playing with a lead...which their offense quite frequently provides.  They have a great pass rush (sound familiar?), but their secondary is a weakness.

The way you beat a team like this — the way teams used to beat us — is (a) pressure the QB relentlessly, (b) control the ball.  Go watch what the Steelers did to us in the ‘05-06 playoffs.  They ran for 112 yards, sacked PM 5 times, and had the ball for 35 minutes.

I'm not too worried about it.  If the Colts were able to prevent JJ Watt and Clowney from getting to Luck, they'll prevent Jones as well.  1-2 sacks tops, maybe 3 at the worst if we are behind by a large margin or someone gets injured.  But I highly doubt it.

• Like 1