Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1995 Colts Analogy

Caffrey

You know me an my analogies but I think this is another good one.

THE LEAD IN: The 1995 Colts, Jim Harbaugh became the starter and led this bunch of "Ragamuffins" as he would call it to a 9-7 record and wildcard playoff birth.

I remember the long pass from mid-field to WR Sean Dawkins was a thing of beauty.  The FB Zack Crockett carried the rock for over a 100 yards to win the wild card game to move on the K.C.

THE SIMILARITY:  KC was the #1 seed then and now, we were the #6 seed then and now.  A lot of my friends and relatives who knew I'm a Colt fan said they thought the Colts can beat the Chiefs and we did.  Like back then, my friends and relatives are telling they think the Colts can beat the Chiefs. There are no guarantees, that is why they the play the game.  

This is my true feeling, the Colts have a good shot is winning this game,  I'm very impressed with Mahomes and lets leave it at that.  A difference is that Harbaugh threw for only 112 yards but in a winning effort in 1995.  We won with good defense and the KC PK missed a key FG.    I don't anticipate Luck will be held for 112 yards but I don't care if he passes for 9 yards, 0 TD, 4 interceptions, as long as we win, the whole team and Colt family will be happy.   I do really feel good about this game. We are in the Divisional Playoffs, football life is good.

Note: I just happen to be watching NFL GameDay Primetime and they are showing some KC highlights, caption says they had 3 primetime losses in 6 weeks, to the Rams, Chargers, and Seahawks, before clinching the division with a win over the Raiders.  In the Seahawk lost, the announcer is saying "KC has no answer for the Seahawks receivers". 

• Like 1

#1 seed, #6 seed - even though we started 1-5, they only won two more games than us.  It's not like they were 15-1 and we were 9-7.   It doesn't mean much. 

Sure, they score some points, but they do not feel like an elite, dominant team.  You have a QB who threw a bunch of TDs and won an MVP?  Great, we lived that for 15 years.  Browns fans might be enamored with it, but Colts fans probably won't.  

• Like 1

This feels more like the 03 and 04 Colts vs Pats playoff games with the Colts playing the role of the Pats with a balanced team and the Chiefs being the high powered offense and suspect defense like the Colts were.  Hopefully the results are the same where the more balanced team wins.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

This feels more like the 03 and 04 Colts vs Pats playoff games with the Colts playing the role of the Pats with a balanced team and the Chiefs being the high powered offense and suspect defense like the Colts were.  Hopefully the results are the same where the more balanced team wins.

I made a thread about that

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

That was my thoughts exactly. With the way we move the chans and run the ball you just keep their offense on the sideline. Our defense is no slouch either. I think we can handle KC. Our O-line is going to destroy them, break their spirits and jam that ball right down their throats