Sign in to follow this  
DrLuck

Could Roger's have done this at the end of the first half...

Ok, so remember when it was right before the half, Roger's caught it in the middle of the field, tried to get out, gets tackled and the clock ran because we had no timeouts?

What would happen if he just decided to "fumble" it on purpose out of bounds? Like, straight up QB pass it out of bounds after he catches it. Wouldn't the clock stop and we get the ball where it goes out (if a backward pass) or from wherever he "fumbled" it (if a forward pass)? 

Seems like something worth doing when they play that defense that guards the end zone and the sidelines and gives you the middle. Throw a strike like Luck did, and instead of trying to run to the sidelines, do your best Peyton and just RIP it out if bounds lol.

Would this work or am I crazy?

Pretty sure fumbling the ball on purpose is illegal

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Pretty sure fumbling the ball on purpose is illegal

It is? Say you were trying to throw a lateral then. I've never heard this rule. 

“A ball carrier may hand or pass the ball backward at any time, except to throw the ball intentionally out of bounds to conserve time. [The penalty for breaking the rule is] five yards from the spot of the foul; also loss of down.”

Still in FG range lol.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, DrLuck said:

“A ball carrier may hand or pass the ball backward at any time, except to throw the ball intentionally out of bounds to conserve time. [The penalty for breaking the rule is] five yards from the spot of the foul; also loss of down.”

Still in FG range lol.

Pretty sure it also includes a 10 second run off. So, half over.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coltsva said:

Pretty sure it also includes a 10 second run off. So, half over.

Ok, so if we are ever in that situation and we catch it deeper than 5 yards in FG range, and with more than 11 seconds on the clock, some please link Reich this post. Any got his email??

Also, they think of everything lol.

25 minutes ago, DrLuck said:

Ok, so remember when it was right before the half, Roger's caught it in the middle of the field, tried to get out, gets tackled and the clock ran because we had no timeouts?

What would happen if he just decided to "fumble" it on purpose out of bounds? Like, straight up QB pass it out of bounds after he catches it. Wouldn't the clock stop and we get the ball where it goes out (if a backward pass) or from wherever he "fumbled" it (if a forward pass)? 

Seems like something worth doing when they play that defense that guards the end zone and the sidelines and gives you the middle. Throw a strike like Luck did, and instead of trying to run to the sidelines, do your best Peyton and just RIP it out if bounds lol.

Would this work or am I crazy?

I was wondering about this too when he was trying to get out

Next time take a shot at the end zone or just throw it out of bounds and let Vinny try a 60 yarder. 

• Like 1

I honestly think we had time to hit him for the first down really quick and he just get down fast and have the ball placed for a spike might of had 1 sec who knows would of felt better about that then him trying to go out of bounds when the texans had all their players at the boundaries.

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

Next time take a shot at the end zone or just throw it out of bounds and let Vinny try a 60 yarder. 

:agree:

That drive bugged me. Still does. We were trying to run the clock out. It wasn’t until the big PI call that we got serious about trying to score. By then we’d wasted too much time by not running an efficient 2 minute offense. Throwing that ball to Rodgers over the middle and trying to get him to get it out of bounds was silly. 95 times out of 100 that isn’t going to work. 

We took our foot off the gas on that drive until it was too late. Scoring there, even a FG would have made it a 4 score game as opposed to 3. Really didn’t like the way that one played out. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

That drive bugged me. Still does. We were trying to run the clock out. It wasn’t until the big PI call that we got serious about trying to score. By then we’d wasted too much time by not running an efficient 2 minute offense. Throwing that ball to Rodgers over the middle and trying to get him to get it out of bounds was silly. 95 times out of 100 that isn’t going to work. 

We took our foot off the gas on that drive until it was too late. Scoring there, even a FG would have made it a 4 score game as opposed to 3. Really didn’t like the way that one played out. 

Yea I didn't like the call either but it was low risk and no need to play risky at that point. Still would have been a 3 score game regardless of a FG or not. But a turnover returned for a TD makes it a 2 score game and let's them back in it at halftime

18 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

If Kareem Jackson never held Inman, it would have been 28-0 at half

Smart move by Jackson; he was beat bad and it was either a TD or a PI. Take the PI every time in that situation kids.

7 hours ago, John Waylon said:

We kept the Texans D on the field to end the half though - thus adding to their Saturday evening workout. 

The key was to run out the clock and not have a turnover. If they ran the 2 minute drill and turn it over momentum would have shifted. 

Plus the drive started inside the 10. It was most definitely the best move to get to half and run that clock from there.

Situation changed with the PI, but ultimate goal starting inside your 10 is to get out of the half without giving up points to your opponent, especially with a 21-0 lead.

Just so happened that we almost lucked into 3 extra points. Would of been a bonus, thats it.

Definitively not worth harping about, some will complain about anything.

Shut up and enjoy it, quit knit picking little irrelevant things when there is no need to.

27 minutes ago, w87r said:

Plus the drive started inside the 10. It was most definitely the best move to get to half and run that clock from there.

Situation changed with the PI, but ultimate goal starting inside your 10 is to get out of the half without giving up points to your opponent, especially with a 21-0 lead.

Just so happened that we almost lucked into 3 extra points. Would of been a bonus, thats it.

Shut up and enjoy it, quit knit picking little irrelevant things when there is no need to.

I, for one, was remembering the first game vs Houston when we fumbled and gifted them a TD right before the half. I was fine with being conservative until getting closer to mid field.

7 hours ago, SLILLINGTON10 said:

Smart move by Jackson; he was beat bad and it was either a TD or a PI. Take the PI every time in that situation kids.

I agree. But I also don't like plays like that.  I think the penalty on such should be more than a standard PI.  Something like a flagrant foul 

8 hours ago, coltsfanej said:

Yea I didn't like the call either but it was low risk and no need to play risky at that point. Still would have been a 3 score game regardless of a FG or not. But a turnover returned for a TD makes it a 2 score game and let's them back in it at halftime

A 3 score game with a FG would mean 3 TDs and 2 point conversions. 

Bet the farm against that. Every time. No matter how good an offense is. 

1 hour ago, Alex22 said:

We kept the Texans D on the field to end the half though - thus adding to their Saturday evening workout. 

The key was to run out the clock and not have a turnover. If they ran the 2 minute drill and turn it over momentum would have shifted. 

The momentum didn’t shift after Luck’s first pick, a second would have had the same result. Their offense wasn’t executing. Pushing it to 24 or 28 likely would have broken their spirit entirely and probably made them come back out of the half flat, the same way they went in. 

In the grand scheme of things it didn’t matter, but it was the kind of mentality that cost us a whole bunch of games last season despite leading in the 4th quarter. 

You cannot advance a fumble within the last 2 minutes, if I am right. But you can fake a lateral and fumble out of bounds but you better be sure you are throwing it far enough, lo behold you give the D a chance to run it back. 

However, I am not sure if there are any penalties for throwing a backward intentional pass out of bounds. I don't think there is but I am sure some folks here know the rules a bit better.

EDIT: Most folks have already answered it. It was not worth it.

One trick play we could keep an eye on would be nice to go out of bounds, if the kickoff does not reach the end zone and come back and touch it, it starts the drive at the 40 yard line. 

Like this play:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000115426/Cobb-s-smart-play

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I agree. But I also don't like plays like that.  I think the penalty on such should be more than a standard PI.  Something like a flagrant foul 

A PI inside the last minute should come with a "half the distance to the goal" penalty. :) 

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

You cannot advance a fumble within the last 2 minutes, if I am right. But 

However, I am not sure if there are any penalties for throwing a backward intentional pass out of bounds. I don't think there is but I am sure some folks here know the rules a bit better.

would have been interesting to see how the refs interpreted the rules there, but i dont think anyone was close enough for it to look like a legitimate lateral

my guess is it would have been ruled a fumble

11 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Technically 3 score game with 3 2 point conversions, but I agree 4 score game in practice.

15 hours ago, csmopar said:

Like if it is to prevent a td it should the be ball at the one?

4 hours ago, SLILLINGTON10 said:

Like if it is to prevent a td it should the be ball at the one?

I was thinking spot of the foul plus 15 yards. Clock reset and it counts towards the two unsportsmanlike penalties one gets to be ejected

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I was thinking spot of the foul plus 15 yards. Clock reset and it counts towards the two unsportsmanlike penalties one gets to be ejected

Man I donno about an ejection for a guy doing something in the best interest in his team. I think it is more of a clear path foul in basketball over a flagrant. Maybe it could be like a safety, 2 points and the ball back?

22 hours ago, w87r said:

Who are you responding to? I was curious if my random thought/idea would have worked lol.

20 hours ago, chad72 said:

A PI inside the last minute should come with a "half the distance to the goal" penalty. :) 

Seriously, clear path foul lol. Auto TD.

20 hours ago, chad72 said:

You cannot advance a fumble within the last 2 minutes, if I am right. But you can fake a lateral and fumble out of bounds but you better be sure you are throwing it far enough, lo behold you give the D a chance to run it back. 

EDIT: Most folks have already answered it. It was not worth it.

One trick play we could keep an eye on would be nice to go out of bounds, if the kickoff does not reach the end zone and come back and touch it, it starts the drive at the 40 yard line. 

Like this play:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000115426/Cobb-s-smart-play

Yep! Was telling my buddy about this. Or was it my brother? lol either way, that's a smart play and yes we should tell our boys to be on the lookout.

I was ok with being somewhat conservative. I would not have wanted to kick a fieldgoal pushing Vinny's range. That's asking for a blocked kick returned, or a short kick returned back which could have wrecked the entire game from a momentum standpoint. The best thing we could do was get into halftime preserving the lead and strategize on how to shorten the game, limit big plays... and we did just that. 

Have some pedestrian run onto the field in Texans gear. While the clock is stopped run your FG unit out there.