Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You have to love Big Q

Juanjo

11 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Love it......

The way that Smith has developed since mid year, you may also see him soon be added to this

weekly love-fest from Baldy

This line is becoming legendary

Agreed, we drafted him as a RG and were lucky enough to fill a harder position on the line. Props to Smith, he looks like our new Diem.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, IinD said:

Agreed, we drafted him as a RG and were lucky enough to fill a harder position on the line. Props to Smith, he looks like our new Diem.

He passed Diem 6 weeks ago

I think he could be the best RT that this team in Indy has ever seen

The guy handled the THREE TIME Defensive Player of the year!

One-on-one.........

(And I have to eat some crow, as I was originally down on Smith after

2-3 weak games, mid season)

Crow needs to be cooked first!...... very tough to eat raw :)

I am A-OK, to be wrong on the guy........

He is learning the spot, and has improved greatly

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, IinD said:

It truly is night and day from our last few years. It's amazing how well he moves and how he sometimes blocks 2/3 different people on one play.

His durability has also been fantastic. 

Our last few? Remind me the last year our oline had an across the board dominant group of guys? We might have had something back with Tarik Glenn and Meadows, Diem and Saturday. I still don’t think we had a group of dominant lineman rather 2 of the 5. Nobody as nasty as big Q though. 

• Like 1

I loved watching him maul the Texans linemen. I watched Nelson feast most of the game and loved every mo outs of it. Only wish he had the warpaint on his face! 

Hes is an absolute monster. What I've been wishing for since the Manning years

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

He passed Diem 6 weeks ago

I think he could be the best RT that this team in Indy has ever seen

The guy handled the THREE TIME Defensive Player of the year!

One-on-one.........

(And I have to eat some crow, as I was originally down on Smith after

2-3 weak games, mid season)

Crow needs to be cooked first!...... very tough to eat raw :)

I am A-OK, to be wrong on the guy........

He is learning the spot, and has improved greatly

Meadows was a pretty solid RT but I’ll agree that Smith seems to have settled in and solidified our RT spot. Heck, I’d be just as comfortable taking a late round first round pick at guard if someone special enough falls there or even one of those 2nd round picks. Not that the RG spot is any concern but it’s not that an upgrade couldn’t be found high in the draft also. Watching JJ Watt get stoned so frequently by Smith was beautiful though. Loved that. 

38 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah I saw during the game how he dismantled Clowney. Nelson is the best guard in the league already and Smith is also underrated. The days of Watt taking down Luck are probably over.

LOL...he beclowned Clowney! Took him to school and ate his lunch.

38 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Meadows was a pretty solid RT but I’ll agree that Smith seems to have settled in and solidified our RT spot. Heck, I’d be just as comfortable taking a late round first round pick at guard if someone special enough falls there or even one of those 2nd round picks. Not that the RG spot is any concern but it’s not that an upgrade couldn’t be found high in the draft also. Watching JJ Watt get stoned so frequently by Smith was beautiful though. Loved that. 

BPA may yield us a future starter.... at guard.... in round 1, 2, 3, 4, or later

But......  One would have to think that the BPA "list" that the team has would be steered away (At least a little bit) from positions that we strong in and have depth in

Call it a "tailored" BPA list

Would we take a guard, or even a QB, in the draft, if there is a DE or DT with slightly worse rating on our draft list?

I think we probably have a team need component, or "flavor" to our BPA draft ranking....

It sure cant be BPA solely.......

We could use team development at

DE/DT/LB/OT/S/WR/CB/RB

Do we take a TE/QB/P/G/C if BPA in rounds 1-3?  I dont think so..... 

Do we take a RB/CB/OT in round one?.......  I dont think so.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

BPA may yield us a future starter.... at guard.... in round 1, 2, 3, 4, or later

But......  One would have to think that the BPA "list" that the team has would be steered away (At least a little bit) from positions that we strong in and have depth in

Call it a "tailored" BPA list

Would we take a guard, or even a QB, in the draft, if there is a DE or DT with slightly worse rating on our draft list?

I think we probably have a team need component, or "flavor" to our BPA draft ranking....

It sure cant be BPA solely.......

We could use team development at

DE/DT/LB/OT/S/WR/CB/RB

Do we take a TE/QB/P/G/C if BPA in rounds 1-3?  I dont think so..... 

Do we take a RB/CB/OT in round one?.......  I dont think so.

I think it’s reasonable to say BPA is the model most teams use. I think it’s also safe to say that teams adjust that model to cross out a few positions as they are in the top rounds of the draft (maybe use those positions as draft trade down slots). I’d say we are taking out QB, K, P out of the picking slots for at least the first 3-4 rounds. While we do have a very solid group of olineman currently, AC is coming up for a new contract soon so it’s possible we could select a guy, if he fell, to become his back up and replacement after next year. I really feel every position except the 3 I listed is open for BPA in this draft as we will be picking at the bottom of the round, top defensive talent is going to be binged from all those teams looking for the drafts strength. That will push some quality players to us on both sides of the ball but offense is going to be neglected by many teams in this draft and we are in a good spot to capitalize. Purchase the defensive guy in FA if needed. Many ways to add talent this year. No limits in draft or FA. 

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Do i have to keep reminding the fan base over and over.  He wasn't worth  the #6 overall pick in the draft.  No guard is worth picking that high; the position is not with it.  It's not a game changing position.  Geez u people.  Sarcasm hahah

Who was it who kept saying that?

Nelson is redefining the position of O guard. Much like Manning redefined the QB position, Nelson will inspire both young and old to emulate what he is doing.  Also expect the guard position to raise in value.  It is a copy cat league.  Nelson is once again  showing the value of great O linemen and how they can succcessfully impact a team. This is why I don't think Ballard values skill positions early in the draft. His philosophy is build the trenches; hes old school.  It is kind of funny, but  Pagano always believed in running the ball and stopping the run. He got hammered on this board for repeatedly saying that phrase.  The problem is that they drafted poorly and never developed players  When we  run the ball and stop the run; we look unbeatable.  PS....I am not defending Pagano's coaching, so please don't make this a Pagano discussion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These weekly Baldy tapes are just great!    And if you’re Houston and spending today looking at that clinic he put on,  this can’t be fun.

Houston you have a problem!   (Rest of the NFL too!).   

Quenton on is going to be doing this for the next 10-12 years!   Good luck with that!

• Like 4

Just now, CR91 said:

I dont even think Ballard knew what he was getting when he drafted Nelson. Crazy.

Thats the exciting part. Getting more than everyone thought.

I don’t think he knew the level of production that he was going to get out of him but I do believe he knew the nastiness he was getting and that is where you have to respect CBs process. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dasteez said:

Thats the exciting part. Getting more than everyone thought.

I don’t think he knew the level of production that he was going to get out of him but I do believe he knew the nastiness he was getting and that is where you have to respect CBs process. 

Agree.  He had some early struggles.  I really think he has been awesome since after  the Jets game.  Remember that Leonard Williams play where he fell and he looked like he got blown up?  I said that play was going to make him very angry. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, w87r said:

Was really hoping Baldy would've had the GL TD run by Mack.

We had a 3 man wall(Cox,Castonzo and Kelly) with Big Q in the back of it fortifying it. Beautiful.

If someone can, post that.

It was actually Haeg who led the way on that play.  But it won't be posted because Nelson was irrelevant, which doesn't fit the thread.

4 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Nelson is redefining the position of O guard. Much like Manning redefined the QB position, Nelson will inspire both young and old to emulate what he is doing.  Also expect the guard position to raise in value.  It is a copy cat league.  Nelson is once again  showing the value of great O linemen and how they can succcessfully impact a team. This is why I don't think Ballard values skill positions early in the draft. His philosophy is build the trenches; hes old school.  It is kind of funny, but  Pagano always believed in running the ball and stopping the run. He got hammered on this board for repeatedly saying that phrase.  The problem is that they drafted poorly and never developed players  When we  run the ball and stop the run; we look unbeatable.  PS....I am not defending Pagano's coaching, so please don't make this a Pagano discussion.

I was thinking the same thing earlier today. We are now doing what Pagano always preached but could never do bc of bad trenches! 

I've been saying it for years that games are Won in the trenches and we finally have a GM that sees that too.

At the Toyota Halftime just now (Bears Eagles) , they were doing a "play" on the Golden Globes and gave a "Best performance by a player in a supporting role" to  Quenton Nelson shown absolutely destroying Jedaveon Clowney during a play in the wild-card game.  A must see.

In high school CBS sent a crew to interview him. He is an elite guard at 23 yrs. old. i knew he was good at Notre Dame but I didn't realize he could transition this quickly. It looks to me like Ballard really knows what he's doing. Just think about next season with 120 mil. to spend and 3 picks in the top 50. I'm giddy already.

Just now, joeb said:

In high school CBS sent a crew to interview him.I knew he was destined to be a star then.  He is an elite guard at 23 yrs. old. i knew he was good at Notre Dame but I didn't realize he could transition this quickly. It looks to me like Ballard really knows what he's doing. Just think about next season with 120 mil. to spend and 3 picks in the top 50. I'm giddy already.

• Like 1