Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Watson "Legend"

MikeCurtis

6 minutes ago, BOTT said:

He could stop doing this when down 21 pits lol

IMG_0921.thumb.JPG.b815da189c73e810e99c690e2d433a79.JPG

Did you see him do this on the Colts sideline? haha Of course Ebron was right there to meet him with some words.

This guy hasn’t had a chance to be a good pocket passer this year. I can’t really fault him until he gets an Oline that doesn’t exacerbate his reflex to bail out of the pocket. 

He’s a good guy. And off topic, but Deandre Hopkins is an awesome guy, too. I would have rooted for those two if we lost.

3 minutes ago, CamMo said:

Did you see him do this on the Colts sideline? haha Of course Ebron was right there to meet him with some words.

This guy hasn’t had a chance to be a good pocket passer this year. I can’t really fault him until he gets an Oline that doesn’t exacerbate his reflex to bail out of the pocket. 

He’s a good guy. And off topic, but Deandre Hopkins is an awesome guy, too. I would have rooted for those two if we lost.

I would saw my achilles in two with dental floss before rooting for the texans.

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I was somewhat surprised how many passes, that Watson threw that were not accurate

We didnt get a great deal of pressure on him, and he did hurt us when he ran, but he had guys open that he just plain missed

I dont think that he is even close to Luck (or other top QBs) in skills

I think it takes three years of evaluation to determine whether a QB is viable long-term.  Year one is a year of learning for both the QB and the defenses in terms of tendencies.  Year two is a story of adjustments, year three is when I believe you find out whether a QB can be a long-term contributor to a team.  So I think next year we'll find out about Watson.

Here's my view of QB's (you don't have to agree with any of it, this is just me).

Top tier:  These guys throw with accuracy and anticipation.  They don’t wait for guys to 'come open’, they either throw receivers open by virtue of ball placement or they throw to a spot knowing that’s where their wide-out eventually will be, it’s the receiver’s job to win the ball. We often see these guys throwing the ball well before a receiver has made their break.  Often they throw completions to receivers who appear to be completely covered. They also understand defenses and get their team into the right play and protections.  The ability to run is plus, plus and can prove to be lethal. The final piece is they win the fourth quarter.  Arm strength is at least average and above. 

Signature throw: Back Shoulder fade

Examples: Luck, Brees, Wilson, Rodgers, Rivers, Brady.

Mid-level: Throws with reasonable accuracy, knows how to make reads and makes use of check downs.  Throws with some anticipation but doesn’t necessarily see the field the same way top tier QB’s do. These guys will throw 50/50 balls but usually out of necessity.  Not necessarily reliable fourth-quarter QB’s but can be dangerous. On the right team, these guys can will a lot of games but may struggle against superior defenses. 

Signature throw: Crossing routes and Check downs

Examples: Stafford, Carr, Winston, Smith, Ryan, E. Manning.

Bottom Tier:  Inaccurate passer, tends to be a one or two read guy and go guy and often will display strong arm strength to deliver balls to deep wide-open receivers.  Only sees guys who are running open as viable targets, as a result, will often hold the ball too long and suffer high sack rates.  They don’t see the field the same as top or mid-tier QB’s. Struggles recognizing defenses and protections and relies on athleticism to overcome shortcomings in the passing game.  Improvisational skills are a must, a lack of improv means they are not long for the league. Final note, these guys typically require teams with tremendous defenses to win consistently.

Signature throw: Post and Go routes.

Examples: Bortles, Newton, Tannehill, Mariota.

X-factors: work ethic, intelligence, leadership.

I have excluded any QB with less than three years exp.