Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Watson "Legend"

MikeCurtis

I was somewhat surprised how many passes, that Watson threw that were not accurate

We didnt get a great deal of pressure on him, and he did hurt us when he ran, but he had guys open that he just plain missed

I dont think that he is even close to Luck (or other top QBs) in skills

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Watson doesn’t impress me as a passer. If you make him stay in the pocket and force him to be accurate he will struggle. The Texans window is closing IMO. Only team I worry about in AFC South is Titans and maybe Jags if they get a QB but I honestly think we start a 5-7 year reign and take back the South. 

• Like 2

Oh God the man is a 2nd yr QB. Let's not act like we haven't seen Luck throw up a stinker. Lucks thrown up plenty and that was just maybe 2 to 3 yrs ago. And coincidentally Lucks line was awful then too. Watson ought to be shell shocked by now with all those sacks given up. They need to get the guy some more protection and vastly improve his WR corps. Not only that but his stable of RBs. Houston has done him just like Luck. Got the man trying to win games with a bare cupboard.  He's having to play hero ball while being short on experience and short on help from his team mates.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I was somewhat surprised how many passes, that Watson threw that were not accurate

We didnt get a great deal of pressure on him, and he did hurt us when he ran, but he had guys open that he just plain missed

While I don’t disagree, let’s not forget, he’s coming off an injury last year too. Plus he never was or has been a pocket passer. He’s a mobile QB who can throw on the run. We did exactly what we needed to do, force him to make plays with his legs but don’t give up the big plays. The Tampa 2 zone is actually a very good D for that type of QB.  Worked very well last night. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans give up on him, perhaps even as early as the upcoming off-season. But even in the off-season, there isn't that much talent available at the QB spot. The only decent QB potentially available in free agency is Foles, and it remains to be seen if Philly will let him go unsigned.

Next year's draft isn't very deep in QBs either, and by the time the Texans' draft slot rolls around there won't be much left to pick from. They've won just enough to give themselves a crappy draft position. Haskins and Lock might be the only two decent QBs in this draft, and they will be off the board early. 

Their only option is probably going to be to try to swing a trade somewhere  (don't give 'em Jacoby!) or to give up multiple picks to move up in the draft.

Sux to be the Texans right now,

Watson gave the Texans hope and kept them alive throughout nearly the whole game. I'm not going to sit here and bash the guy because he played his tail off. He was playing from behind all game behind a terrible offensive line. If that kid didn't have legs he would be in a wheelchair.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

While I don’t disagree, let’s not forget, he’s coming off an injury last year too. Plus he never was or has been a pocket passer. He’s a mobile QB who can throw on the run. We did exactly what we needed to do, force him to make plays with his legs but don’t give up the big plays. The Tampa 2 zone is actually a very good D for that type of QB.  Worked very well last night. 

TBH, he has impressed me more as a passer than I expected from his college days.  I don’t think he’ll ever be elite, on a level of Wilson.  But he’s a very good ‘move the chains’ guy.  

I think this benefits the Colts in the big picture.  He’s good enough that he’ll be their franchise QB for years to come.  But, IMHO, not great enough to take them all the way.  

• Like 3

Living in the Dallas area, we still get news coverage on the Texans. (Not as much as Cowboys)

There are some people here that put him at "Legend" status

Today, they are blaming the loss on the head coach

SOME of the loss was on Watson

I believe that he is a good NFL QB.

He can win games with his feet. If the game is close at the end, he has found a way to win. (In college and pros)

But.......  I believe he isn't  nearly at the level that the Texas media and fans believe 

He doesnt touch the top tier QBs IMHO

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, krunk said:

Oh God the man is a 2nd yr QB. Let's not act like we haven't seen Luck throw up a stinker. Lucks thrown up plenty and that was just maybe 2 to 3 yrs ago. And coincidentally Lucks line was awful then too. Watson ought to be shell shocked by now with all those sacks given up. They need to get the guy some more protection and vastly improve his WR corps. Not only that but his stable of RBs. Houston has done him just like Luck. Got the man trying to win games with a bare cupboard.  He's having to play hero ball while being short on experience and short on help from his team mates.

While you are right about his oline being junk, he has quite a stable of receivers, in fact, Hopkins, Fuller, Coutee and D.Thomas was to be his receivers this year. If that isn’t enough for a team in receivers wealth, I’m not sure what is. Injuries took 2 out altogether but Coutee played a heck of a week 4 game against us. Lamar Miller isn’t a scrub but could be upgraded. Not sure who the TE is but this team is money in on a defense along with a rookie contract QB. 

I think teams moving forward  see our blueprint of solidifying an oline to protect their QB and build out. After seeing how bad this team was in 2017 (Pagano led) and the major turn around this year (missing Luck was a big factor of course) I believe teams will also start to invest into the oline over some other luxuries given draft options that are equivalent. I don’t mean a team will pass up a potential defensive player at #5 like K. Mack for a player like Braden Smith as he was scouted but they may decide to pass on a Roquan Smith kid for a chance at Kelly type center. 

If texans don’t get him protection, in 2 years, he is going to start looking like David Carr did. Scared to death. 

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

Watson will be just fine. He's made of the right stuff. Just build a better team around him.

I disagree. They have Kopkins, Miller, Fuller, Thomas and a very good Defensive front 7. Their weakness is their OL and Secondary but they lost in pet yesterday to Watson looking like a deer in headlights most of the game. His passes were all over the place

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, egg said:

I agree that Watson is not a top tier passer.

But this is the 2nd game within a few weeks that Desir has done a really good job on Hopkins. And Kenny Moore is a good CB. 

I love what Kenny Moore has brought to this team and how he has produced for us. My only question on him, is he our Jason David from 2006 who left for a big contract in New Orleans and fail miserably. Does he just really fit here well in our system but probably fail in a different system or does he check off all the boxes of a great player in the making? 

If he fits its our system but maybe not others as well, what does that put his value at as a FA? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I love what Kenny Moore has brought to this team and how he has produced for us. My only question on him, is he our Jason David from 2006 who left for a big contract in New Orleans and fail miserably. Does he just really fit here well in our system but probably fail in a different system or does he check off all the boxes of a great player in the making? 

If he fits its our system but maybe not others as well, what does that put his value at as a FA? 

This is the $64000 question on CBs in this cover 2 system

Kenny Moore may actually fit in a man scheme as well.

Desir I believe is best suited to a cover two CB.

As we get better.... ALL of our "stars" will gain value....

We wont have a big cap room for long..........

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I disagree. They have Kopkins, Miller, Fuller, Thomas and a very good Defensive front 7. Their weakness is their OL and Secondary but they lost in pet yesterday to Watson looking like a deer in headlights most of the game. His passes were all over the place

They also lost their 2nd and 3rd receivers for the year. If they hire a good play caller because next year with Hopkins fuller and coutee that team will be tough

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I just checked, and Moore is under contract through next season. FA in 2020. I guess we'll find out then how the Colts value him.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, runthepost said:

They also lost their 2nd and 3rd receivers for the year. If they hire a good play caller because next year with Hopkins fuller and coutee that team will be tough

Coutee is VERY underated

I think this cover two defense is much more at risk with an accurate passer with limited mobility, than a mobile QB that is somewhat innacurate

KC will be a great test of this Colts team PM is an accurate passer that is ALSO mobile........

We are going to have to mix things up on defense to have a solid chance to win

KC has lost 3 of last 6, so they are beatable

But we have to play lights out to have a chance

The guy is 3rd in NFL history for most passing td’s over his first 16 starts.  Behind only Marino & Kurt Warner.  Maybe 4th now after the season that Mahomes just had.  I for one hope the Texans give up on him because with him they’ve looked like playoff contenders his first 2 years...

• Like 1

Don't let a single bad game confuse you about Watson. He's a playmaker of the highest order. He's young and he's working with horrible O-Line similar to how Andrew played on his rookie contract. That's not to say that he doesn't have his faults and things to work on(pocket feel and presence, recognizing blitzes, etc.). We better hope they don't follow our lead and give him competent O-Line because IMO then he will be a real pain in the butt to the whole league. He's currently not on Andrew's or other elite QB's level but he absolutely has the potential to get there if the Texans do a good job developing him and giving him some semblance of protection. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Man Thomas just got there and couldn't contribute much, plus he's old so who knows where that's going. Fuller is really nobody and he stays injured. I think Coutee is legit but he stayed injured all year. Everybody knows Hopkins is the only real consistent threat on that team.

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Don't let a single bad game confuse you about Watson. He's a playmaker of the highest order. He's young and he's working with horrible O-Line similar to how Andrew played on his rookie contract. That's not to say that he doesn't have his faults and things to work on(pocket feel and presence, recognizing blitzes, etc.). We better hope they don't follow our lead and give him competent O-Line because IMO then he will be a real pain in the butt to the whole league. He's currently not on Andrew's or other elite QB's level but he absolutely has the potential to get there if the Texans do a good job developing him and giving him some semblance of protection. 

Again, I'm not saying the guy should be cut

I'm not saying he is the worst QB ever

I should have stated in my first post.........He is a good NFL QB.

But......  he isnt top 10, IMHO

Some of the local and national media, and definitely the Texas fanbase, put him in the top tier.

I dont see him becoming that top level

But..... who knows......

Watson has been one of the most sacked QBs in the league.  That's going to affect his passing.  Let's also not forget that he's coming off of a major injury.  He's very young, has good physical tools, and has very good character.  I think he's going to put in a lot of work this offseason to improve and he knows where he needs to improve, so I expect to see him play better next year.  I really like Watson

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Again, I'm not saying the guy should be cut

I'm not saying he is the worst QB ever

I should have stated in my first post.........He is a good NFL QB.

But......  he isnt top 10, IMHO

Some of the local and national media, and definitely the Texas fanbase, put him in the top tier.

I dont see him becoming that top level

But..... who knows......

I agree... I think he's about there... in that range... 10-15... depending on what you value. But that's still a pretty damn good QB. You can win SB with a QB like that and he can be an integral part of a SB win. Overall the league has great wealth of very good QBs right now, so being in that range IMO is not a knock.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don't like him. He just comes off as someone I would like at all. Celebrating all the time for a first down when you're down 21-0. Be humble get your butt back to the huddle and do it again. 

He made a big play.  I understand the score being like that, but he was excited for a big play.  It happens all the time.  A team could be trailing by 15, but if the defense gets an interception, they'll celebrate

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

He made a big play.  I understand the score being like that, but he was excited for a big play.  It happens all the time.  A team could be trailing by 15, but if the defense gets an interception, they'll celebrate

It was no different than when we were getting beat pretty good by New England this year and we made New England turn the ball over and the whole D ran to pose in the end zone. Young players do stupid stuff like that. Watson is smart enough and mature enough to handle that differently next time.

4 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I see what you're saying. I just personally think it's dumb. I wouldn't like our defense celebrating crap if we are getting our butts kicked up and down the field and they happen to get a puck or a fumble. 

Cool, you got the ball. Now do something with it. I'm more of a Nelson type guy, let my actions speak for me. Not the rah rah crap. Especially while getting your butt kicked

Just now, NewEra said:

I see what you're saying. I just personally think it's dumb. I wouldn't like our defense celebrating crap if we are getting our butts kicked up and down the field and they happen to get a puck or a fumble. 

Cool, you got the ball. Now do something with it. I'm more of a Nelson type guy, let my actions speak for me. Not the rah rah crap. Especially while getting your butt kicked

Problem is our defense did do that this year. More than once.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don't like him. He just comes off as someone I would like at all. Celebrating all the time for a first down when you're down 21-0. Be humble get your butt back to the huddle and do it again. 

Meh. I don't mind stuff like that. This is largely irrelevant stuff. Some "get off my lawn" experts(I think it was Brian Billick actually)  were clowning our secondary when they were celebrating takeaways in the endzone when we were 1-5 in a very similar fashion. It's just a small gesture of celebration that he most probably does out of habit more than anything. He's been doing it since forever. I don't take anything negative or positive away from it. I don't think it's a sign of arrogance or anything of the sort. 

Celebrations are fun. Let players celebrate and show their personality. Of the things one can object to in the NFL I find celebrations the most innocuous and least egregious.  

• Like 1

I think his accuracy was effected by all those blitzes, et stunts and twists throwing his timing off along with the tight zone coverages. That combined with the fact he had to face that pressure behind a bad line. And we absolutely refused to let him get out the pocket to extend plays.

• Like 1

Hes had the same problem going back to Clemson. I remember watching film on Mike white and wayne gallman and he routinely missed easy throws. He is a big play QB that lives and dies by the long ball and is not a west coast chain mover QB. There is nothing wrong with that, hes still a very good QB especially in today NFL. However if you take the deep threat away he is easily beatable

• Thanks 1

Houston beat a lot of teams.  I think the onus should be put on how good the Colts in general are playing.  We are making it look easy but that was a talented team we beat. I will say this.  Luck threw several passes that Watson cant throw.  Maybe he can in years to come but not now.