Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Conservative or Smart?

Smonroe

12 minutes ago, ar7 said:

I was listening to 1070 this morning and they indicated the Colts might have been a little vanilla in the second half due to the way their defense was playing and not wanting to show more for the Chiefs.

The Texans certainly played better defense in the second half. They were more aggressive. Even with that there were plays that could have been made but the Colts just didn't execute.

I wondered about the vanilla aspect too and maybe even simply trying a few new things while still up 21 with 2 quarters to go. We did have a few drops that would have allowed us to add that killer 4th score but they were a wounded, desperate animal over the second half. We tightened up where and when we absolutely had to while allowing clock to burn. It was surprising how slow the Texans were playing on offense down 2 scores. Odd but hey, worked out.....for us lol. 

1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

Irrelevant. We were sloppy, certainly in the pass game. 3 of 10 / 40 yards. 4 punts in succession is not smart, even if we are in control. MUST play to our best in all 4 qrt's next week to have a chance.

Sorry BH but 21-7 is very relevant.  Even Frank said let the defense and the running game win the game. That is what happened.

4 hours ago, Rally5 said:

We certainly have a shot but this will be the toughest test we have faced.

I welcome it. This team is growing game by game. I'm Still Loving the fact that nobody gave us a chance do anything this year at the beginning of the season. Now my expectations are even higher. It's not a best-of-seven it's a single game and anything and everything can happen in one game. Go horse

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sorry BH but 21-7 is very relevant.  Even Frank said let the defense and the running game win the game. That is what happened.

Forget the D and the running game. Are you suggesting that 3 for 10 completion rate for a grand total of 40 yards is good? Average? Great even? I'll rephrase though, our pass attack was sloppy. 4 consecutive punts is sloppy. Our win was great however. I can separate one from the other. No big deal though, just my view.

Yeah, they looked out of sync.  That being said, I think Luck said to himself, I am not going to make a stupid throw that lets them back in the game. That fluke pick and then  another batted ball was almost intercepted.  Look at Tennesse last week and how we let them hang around.  The team is learning how to win tough games. 

I feel like I'm the only one that thought the second half was called masterfully by the Colts.  

If a couple dropped passes are caught, we probably score again.  

The Colts knew it was over after halftime even if the fans weren't sure. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

I feel like I'm the only one that thought the second half was called masterfully by the Colts.  

Is it possible that the Colts were holding plays back for the Chiefs? I mean not to show too much. 

22 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Is it possible that the Colts were holding plays back for the Chiefs? I mean not to show too much. 

It's entirely possible, but I doubt it.  

They just switched in the second half to minimize unnecessary risks and it worked beautifully with the defense we had. 

1 hour ago, ricker182 said:

Not sure I’d say masterfully, but certainly very smartly.  Given the end results, you could be right though.

I'v read sloppy & conservative .  

Okay valid points it was a tale of 2 half's . I loved the first half pedal to the metal wham bam thank you ma'am , 

The second half yes IMO conservative on D but its the Tampa 2 I'v never liked it but I must admit  first year Defensive Coach Eberflus has added wrinkles he picked up from old Steeler Games has me watching & liking what I see is it perfect NO but the Defense has improved dramaticly over the season  infact so good we may lose the Coach & that sucks . We'v been here before .

We went to KC  with the 2006 worst defense in the league & won a game that my Colts were underdogs in Peyton Manning went on to win the Lombardi & it all started in KC .

This year if the Colts have proved one thing it would be do not underestimate the Boys in Blue .

:colts::hat:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ricker182 said:

We  lived thru the Manning Era when Tony Dungy was hired to bring in the Tampa 2 Defense to compliment Jim Moore & Peyton Mannings Offense only to watch it blow games that 18 & the Offense had with in reach . 

While I'm happier with the latest version its not easy to let go of impressions that the Offense is a Lamborghini the Defense kinda like a Clown Car  in the past including the one that Won the 2007 SB we had grown accustomed to last minute blunders . 

I love it that some can so easily forget the past me I'm thinking for the first time in a decade we finally have a O-line a running game & rejuvenated Andrew Luck  & a defense that can WIN all were question marks at the start of the season plus my favorite WIN of the season in Houston putting the Texans out of the Play-offs has  this season far exceeding early expectations for this fan .

20 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

21-7? Is that smart enough?

Well considering the thread was about the 2nd half offense, your comment is not really relevant.  The 2nd half offense was sloppy.  In the 3rd quarter they ran 14 plays for 64 yards (4.57 yards per play).  Only the final drive in the 4th quarter did they play mistake free,

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ricker182 said:

I don't have a problem with the play calling in the 2nd half (other than they didn't adjust the personnel groupings to account for the blitz packages Houston brought every 3rd down) and I don't have a problem with the defensive play calling... I agree with many on this forum, Watson is not a good enough QB to string together multiple plays without making a mistake, let a lone multiple drives.

I just think the offense was sloppy in the 2nd half, you can point to just about any player and they were not executing as sharply in the 2nd half as they did in the 1st half.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Well considering the thread was about the 2nd half offense, your comment is not really relevant.  The 2nd half offense was sloppy.  In the 3rd quarter they ran 14 plays for 64 yards (4.57 yards per play).  Only the final drive in the 4th quarter did they play mistake free,

21-7 is as relevant as it gets. It's the bottom, end and be all of the game.

5 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

It's relevant to the Colts and to the fans... It's not relevant to this thread and the OPs question.

If you and the OP want to concentrate and make an issue over the Colts playing ball control and not turning the ball over be my guest.

The Colts are playing with house money and are the hottest team in the playoffs right now. Wanting more is unrealistic.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

If you and the OP want's to concentrate and make an issue over the Colts playing ball control and not turning the ball over be my guest.

The Colts are playing with house money and are the hottest team in the playoffs right now. Wanting more is unrealistic.

Come on CrazyColt, you're a better poster than this.  

But since you want to be this way, please show me where I (or the OP) made an issue over the Colts playing ball control and not turning the ball over.  You can't because I have not.  The OP asked about getting shut out in the 2nd half, whether it was because of conservative play calling or smart play.  My answer was it was neither.  I don't think the Colts got overly conservative in the 2nd half, nor do I think it was smart... I think the Colts got shut out in the 2nd half because they played sloppy football.  Receivers dropped football that they caught in the 1st half.  Lineman missed blocks they made in the 1st half, defenders missed tackles they made in the 1st half, Luck missed throws that he made in the first half.

And personally, I don't think it's unrealistic to say the team, after scoring 21 points in the first half, played sloppy and that is the reason they put up 0 points in the 2nd half.

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Come on CrazyColt, you're a better poster than this.  

But since you want to be this way, please show me where I (or the OP) made an issue over the Colts playing ball control and not turning the ball over.  You can't because I have not.  The OP asked about getting shut out in the 2nd half, whether it was because of conservative play calling or smart play.  My answer was it was neither.  I don't think the Colts got overly conservative in the 2nd half, nor do I think it was smart... I think the Colts got shut out in the 2nd half because they played sloppy football.  Receivers dropped football that they caught in the 1st half.  Lineman missed blocks they made in the 1st half, defenders missed tackles they made in the 1st half, Luck missed throws that he made in the first half.

And personally, I don't think it's unrealistic to say the team, after scoring 21 points in the first half, played sloppy and that is the reason they put up 0 points in the 2nd half.

I think they dropped 2 passes that were catchable. Luck only threw 10 passes in the 2nd half so Franks scheme was run the ball and they were very successful doing that. They really didn't have the ball that much in the 2nd half. How about giving some credit to the Texans? They made some good adjustments at halftime but our defense pretty much controlled the game. Giving up what ended up being a garbage time TD showed how much our defense did to control them.

Thus 21-7 is the only thing that mattered.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think they dropped 2 passes that were catchable. Luck only threw 10 passes in the 2nd half so Franks scheme was run the ball and they were very successful doing that. They really didn't have the ball that much in the 2nd half. How about giving some credit to the Texans? They made some good adjustments at halftime but our defense pretty much controlled the game. Giving up what ended up being a garbage time TD showed how much our defense did to control them.

Thus 21-7 is the only thing that mattered.

They were only successful running the ball on the last drive.

It wasn't a garbage time TD, it was with 11:03 left in the 4th qtr.

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

They were only successful running the ball on the last drive.

It wasn't a garbage time TD, it was with 11:03 left in the 4th qtr.

You said what you though, I said what I thought. The end.

Sorry, I am not letting you turn this into an argumentative thing.

45 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You said what you though, I said what I thought. The end.

Sorry, I am not letting you turn this into an argumentative thing.

That's funny, you are the only one arguing and to have a stance to argue against, you are claiming I am saying (typing) things that I have not said or typed.

As much as I would've rather they scored more points, when you can run up 200 yards on the #1 defense in the league, you probably stick more with that instead of taking too many chances on long throws and chancing the INT's. 

Also, if the Texans didn't block that pass and get an INT on that one drive in the 1st half, the Colts were easily on their way to scoring again, so that would've been 28-0 at that point. 

7 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

As much as I would've rather they scored more points, when you can run up 200 yards on the #1 defense in the league, you probably stick more with that instead of taking too many chances on long throws and chancing the INT's. 

Also, if the Texans didn't block that pass and get an INT on that one drive in the 1st half, the Colts were easily on their way to scoring again, so that would've been 28-0 at that point. 

Yeah JJ Watt made a great play but that was just about the only great play made by their #1 rated defense.

I can understand why some may think we didn't play a good 2nd half but it was not needed.

Our defense was in control.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I'v read sloppy & conservative .  

Okay valid points it was a tale of 2 half's . I loved the first half pedal to the metal wham bam thank you ma'am , 

The second half yes IMO conservative on D but its the Tampa 2 I'v never liked it but I must admit  first year Defensive Coach Eberflus has added wrinkles he picked up from old Steeler Games has me watching & liking what I see is it perfect NO but the Defense has improved dramaticly over the season  infact so good we may lose the Coach & that sucks . We'v been here before .

We went to KC  with the 2006 worst defense in the league & won a game that my Colts were underdogs in Peyton Manning went on to win the Lombardi & it all started in KC .

This year if the Colts have proved one thing it would be do not underestimate the Boys in Blue .

:colts::hat:

We played KC at home that year, didn't we?

1 hour ago, Virtuoso80 said:

We played KC at home that year, didn't we?

Yes, the Colts were the 3rd seed that year and the Chiefs were the 6th seed.  Many media types thought the Chiefs had the best chance of winning in wildcard weekend because of their run game and the Colts run D.  But I think the Colts were still considered the favorite in the game.

I still remember in a pregame interview Dungy when asked about the run defense a few times he finally said, "Look, we are not going to hold Johnson to 12 carries for 25 yards..."

Then the game rolled around and Johnson had 13 carries for 32 yards.

Dungy starts off his press conference with, "Well, I said we weren't going to hold Johnson to 25 yards."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With the college season, prepping for the combine, and now a long NFL season....I am surprised our rookies can even stand. 

Smith, Leonard, and Nelson have really burned the candle this year as rookies. If the flat second half had any thing to do with fatigue, I would not be surprised. 

Still don't think their TD was legit......