Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2019 WR's

Dark Superman

I would agree on the last statement. Even though Inman has been playing well for us the last couple of weeks, he is a No. 3 receiver. I think we’ll give Humphries, Tate, and Williams all a pretty good look in FA, and draft a WR within the first 2 rounds. 

1 hour ago, coltsnation said:

Hilton, Inman, Pascal, Cain, Fountain, and a day 2 pick would be a viable WR core.  Hopefully we can get a big bodied WR or a burner in the draft.

Agree with everything except replace Fountain with Rogers.  He’s a solid returner and has made big plays down the stretch.

• Like 3

Someone had a good post about Hunter from Clemson as a slot.  Drafting him with Cain coming back could be enough.  Hunter can probably be like a Stokley, the slot machine.

On the return side if they could get someone similar to Lockett or Austin That’d be gggggggrrreeeeaaaattt.

Of course I'll catch grief for this, but I think Ebron is currently being used as our big physical receiver.  I'd rather have Doyle back, use Ebron exclusively in his current role, then draft a YAC WR somewhere before the 4th round to pair with TY and Inman (who seems to have separated himself from the rest). 

I've always been impressed with Julian Edleman.  He catches the ball about 6 yards past the LOS and makes the first guy miss for a 15 yard gain.  A WR like him would be a perfect compliment to our receiving corp more so than another guy who runs 15 yard patterns.  Not to mention it will keep Andrew from settling in and looking for 15 yard routes and will force him to keep getting rid of the ball quickly.

• Like 3

I've been on the train of us needing more high end weapons, especially at WR. IMO we need to draft a WR with one of the first 4 picks. There will be some very good options in the draft and some of them are of the type that we don't really have. The FA for WRs will be somewhat barren which IMO will drive up the price for players like Tyrell Williams to levels that I probably wouldn't want to spend on a receiver like him, but if we can get him on a reasonable contract, that would be alright with me too... 

I don't think Grant gets extension with us. I'm good with Rogers as a depth receiver. I'm NOT good with him being no. 2 or no. 3 receiver for us. If he's 5th-practice squad receiver, we are pretty well set. I don't mind keeping Pascal and the other young guys too and letting the competition decide who gets the snaps. 

• Like 2

Agree with everyone, we need a true #1+.  

Just wanted to point out that blocking is an important talent for WRs in our offense.  

Pascal and Rogers are both very good at it.  It’s a necessary ability that a lot of WRs don’t have.  Reliable hands and the ability to block can keep those guys on the roster.  

• Like 8

5 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I need to see more from Fountain.

Rogers is under-rated.  Not a #1 or #2, but the dude has made some key plays and is reliable returning. But i get it, i think the guy won me over and emotion is involved for me.

I need to see ANYTHING from Fountain to get excited

Rogers is a keeper. He will never be your number 1 or number 2 guy

He will be the 4th or 5th WR, because he does a decent job at KR as well as 4 receiver sets

He has had some good games this year

I would still like to grab one of the 3-4 tall WRs that will be available in rounds 2-3.

(Butler or Humphreys)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

I'm moving on from Chester Rogers and Ryan Grant and re-signing Dontrelle Inman. Zach Pascal has a ton of upside while we can continue to groom him, Cain, and possibly Fountain. Either way, I'm still bringing in 1-2 guys either through the Draft or FA.

I would keep Chester get rid of Grant cause he blows.

• Like 1

Inman has to get some props because he's becoming a solid route runner.

On his td last week in Tenn and last night, he ran his routes like old school Reggie. Perfectly faked out the CB with perfect cuts. 

Honestly, check those 2 TD's out again. He ran them PERFECTLY.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

rodgers fair catches when he has 10 yards of space, but then tries to run it when he doesnt have any room

With all due respect, we don't know what he's being coached in the moment to do. I've been pleased with his fair catches inside the 10 plenty of times as it keeps them from pinning us with our backs against the endzone, and gets the offense out and down to business. Punt returning is a tough tough game. Priority is focusing on the ball and catching it clean (punted footballs have all sorts of spin and movement) and then there is trying to feel and see what kind of space you have. It all happens very quickly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

rodgers fair catches when he has 10 yards of space, but then tries to run it when he doesnt have any room

I absolutely hate watching Rodgers catching punts. How many times have we seen him not come up for the ball and letting it hit the ground and take it off the bounce for 3 yards, not worth the risk of a bad ball bounce and turn over. It’s like he can’t find the ball early enough or can’t judge the distance and then plays it to avoid making a running up and catch mistake. He doesn’t excite me at all as a returner. A #3-4-5 type guy, fine but that spot could stand an upgrade with upside. Grant just needs to be dropped and move on from. No sense in wasting his roster spot during the playoffs. He has been a dud. Inman I do like and he has pretty solid hands. He is a #2-3 guy. Hopefully Cain comes back as a solid #2 and eventually pushes TY as the #1. Lofty wishes for me. 

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Agree with everyone, we need a true #1+.  

Just wanted to point out that blocking is an important talent for WRs in our offense.  

Pascal and Rogers are both very good at it.  It’s a necessary ability that a lot of WRs don’t have.  Reliable hands and the ability to block can keep those guys on the roster.  

Out of likes, so “Please allow me to bump thee” :)

I still get a Feeling that will take a wide receiver in the first three rounds. We have to have someone who is dynamic opposite of Hilton. Inman is definitely going to be a good number three receiver next year. I think Chester Rogers will be gone and who knows what Cain can do

8 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

He is a pretty terrible returner.

He catches the football consistently as a punt returner.  We’ve struggled mightily with that for years prior to Chester. 

The punt/kick return game is dead in the NFL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Of course I'll catch grief for this, but I think Ebron is currently being used as our big physical receiver.  I'd rather have Doyle back, use Ebron exclusively in his current role, then draft a YAC WR somewhere before the 4th round to pair with TY and Inman (who seems to have separated himself from the rest). 

I've always been impressed with Julian Edleman.  He catches the ball about 6 yards past the LOS and makes the first guy miss for a 15 yard gain.  A WR like him would be a perfect compliment to our receiving corp more so than another guy who runs 15 yard patterns.  Not to mention it will keep Andrew from settling in and looking for 15 yard routes and will force him to keep getting rid of the ball quickly.

No grief from me as most all of this post seems solid. I agree that Ebron is used as the big body receiver, TY is the top of the defense burner, Inman is a solid chain mover and seems open a lot , and if we could find our Edelman/Stokley/Gonzales type of receiver, that would extremely open up the offense and allow Mack to do even more from the RB position. I’m not sure what Pascal is and we still have Cain and Fountain who are also unknown receivers at this point, although Cain was showing severe potential until his injury. I think we have enough at receiver but TY is going to be looking for a new contract in another year so do we look to re-sign him or does he get replaced by a draft choice? Let’s say Cain comes in and flat out balls, do we start to search for a #2 guy while moving Cain as #1? 

Sorry got got a bit off track. 

25 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Going back and watching highlights Inman had a fantastic game and deserves to stay. He has been very underrated. He would of had a second td if watt hadn’t tipped that ball for a interception. He was open.

He also would have had around a 70 yard TD to close out the first half if not for the PI.

2 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

I was very anti Rogers early season but he has come on strong in the last month.

I’d still rather see anyone else become our returner though. He doesn’t absolutely nothing for the return game. Need other potential in that spot. Wished Grant could have become that player, he has speed. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I like Cain as much as everybody but he did suffer a curious injury.  We definitely need to upgrade the position either through draft , FA , or trade. 

What's curious about tearing an ACL?

8 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

He is a pretty terrible returner.

Rogers is top 10 amongst regular PRs (20 or more returns).  Four of his 23 returns went for more than 20 yards.   His 51 yard return is top 10.   There were 7 punts returned for TDs the entire season. No one had more than one.  

Not sure what your definition of terrible means?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

I'm moving on from Chester Rogers and Ryan Grant and re-signing Dontrelle Inman. Zach Pascal has a ton of upside while we can continue to groom him, Cain, and possibly Fountain. Either way, I'm still bringing in 1-2 guys either through the Draft or FA.

Good luck in your fantasy.

Re-sign Inman and then sign another buy-low FA WR (if one exists) and then draft a top WR at some point on Day Two.

Can never have too many options. Take the best 5-6 out of camp and let their play/health sort out the depth chart. Basically, that's the same as they entered this season with...except this time the FA pickup won't be Grant (thankfully), the promising rookie (hopefully) won't be hurt and they will already have Inman. Whatever they get from Cain will be gravy.

The Colts have a ton of resources, so having a lot of depth at WR shouldn't be an issue.