Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darius Leonard

twfish

It's a fair observation. He had a couple other games like this earlier in the season as well...and I believe the Colts won those as well. 

But the fact that the defense can still play at that level is a very good thing. I am sure he will bring it against KC.

Darius Leonard played fine today. Maybe not at the supper star level we are used to but I’ll still take it. Maybe he partied a bit from his award but he may also learn from that as well, if that’s what happened. Could have just been the jitters and he over amped himself. 

5 hours ago, John Waylon said:

He did seem a little bit bamboozled out there today. Not quite as sharp as were used to seeing him. 

Glad I wasn’t the only one to notice. 

The defense just seemed winded at the end of the game. The time of possession was more favored to the Texans in the 2nd half, since we didn’t sustain drives very long on offense

Colts second half defense looked like they were out there tired. Can't blame then though the way the offense wasn't giving them any rest time. What I'm most impressed with is when it mattered at the end, even tho they were tired as %, they still went out there and stopped the Texans when it mattered the most.

• Thanks 1

Ok, just finished watching all the defensive snaps. There were about 4 plays where he looked a bit off.

To me, I think his ankle injury was really hurting him. He just wasnt as explosive and nimble on his feet as we're used to seeing.

No mental errors from what I could tell, there were just a handful of plays where guys made sharp cuts and were able to get separation from him.

It also looked like he jammed his left wrist/arm/shoulder during the 4th quarter. Came up grabbing it and kept shaking it pre-play for the rest of the drive.

The plays where he was beat were plays he normally makes, so IMO it's got to he his ankle flaring up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

Leonard had 13 Tackles today. The next closest player on either team had 9 tackles. So someone is trying to suggest that Leonard played poorly? Wow tough crowd. I understand he missed Miller on one play. ONE PLAY. 

Please read this....  Although I'm not a huge fan of PFF, they did get this part right.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/stat-sheet-misconceptions-tackles

The PFF article is half right and half wrong which is why i do not like PFF. ALL tackles are important. If the ball carrier is not tackled he scores a TD. They are correct in that all players do have the same opportunity to make a tackle so "most" tackles does not make you the best player on the field unless you most tackles are way way greater then either the other players on the field or for your position.  The main priority of LBers in all most every defense is to make tackles. The D-Lines job is to cause disruption and eat up blockers. The job of the DB's is to stop pass receptions or to hold them for minimum yardage and help out with runs to the outside. The job of the SS is a hybrid in that SS play like LB's and therefore one should expect them to make a good number of tackles.  It is great if you FS allows zero long passes and makes zero tackles because the runner is being stopped near the LOS. Why I do not like PFF is that they are not taking into account the entire play. Lets say that the DE goes inside out of his gap and allows the RB to break outside. This prevents Leonard or Walker from making a tackle at or near the LOS. So now because of the DE's mistake Leonard has to run across the field and makes a tackle 10 yards down the field on a RB who was able to break outside. PFF would say that Leonard did not make a "quality" tackle when in fact he made a great tackle to prevent a longer run. In looking at yesterdays game Leonard made 13 tackles. Pro bowler McKinney made 9, Cunningham made 8, Walker made 6. So of all the linebackers on the field Leonard had the best day. We completely shut out Houston's run game. Since we had a big lead and we were playing the clock we played a soft cover 2, which meant that Leonard had to make a lot of tackles in space. In opposition we ran the ball alot so McKinney and Cunningham had more opportunities to make tackles at or near the LOS. (of course Q and company has some input in that). So looking a that LB stats Leonard was the best LBer on the field overall. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I know may fans want Leonard to win defensive rookie of the year.  I am watching James and man oh man is he player.  If I had to pick between them, I will get killed for this , but I think I would lean towards James. He can do everything. 

He's damn good.  But you are telling me you think player 1, below, as a DB, was clearly better than player 2 below, as a LB?  Just not seeing it....  the DB has way less tackles, half as many sacks, only 5 more pass breakups ,and 1 more pick.... and played a whole game more than player 2, who also has 4 fumbles forced to 0 for player 1..... Next someone is going to try telling me the "Dog Catcher" or whatever they call LVE in Dallas is clearly better than Leonard....  ;)

Games  Tackles  Assists  Sacks INT  P/D  FF  Stuffyards

16           105         30          3.5      3      13    0    7

15           163         52          7         2       8     4     13

20 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

What?  How about giving some credit to the Texans? They didn't get the division crown by being a bad team.

Burger King hands out Crowns I'm happy to say the Colts are on the hunt for a Lombardi while the Texans will be sitting at home adjusting there Crown .