Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

San Diego (+3) at Baltimore (1-6-19)

oldunclemark

1:05 EST..  Jim Nantz, and Tony Romo  on CBS

Low 40s and sunny at the MT & T Bank Stadium in Baltimore over-under 43

Chargers godfather Phillip 'Old Man' Rivers (347 of 508, , 4,308 yards, 32 TDs, 12 INTs) looks to roll up more than the 10 points the Chargers posted in a 22-10 home loss to Baltimore 2 weeks ago.

San Diego RB Melvin Gordon (175 carries, 885 yards, 210 TDs) is questionable for the game but it probably should be said: If you're questionable and its the playoffs: Unless your leg is broken, you're playing.

Rivers faces the hard riding Baltimore defense which blitzes 40-50% of the time and has 42 sacks.  Baltimore has allowed just 284 first downs in 16 games, just 17 a game and they are 6-2 at home.

Ravens' Rookie QB Lamar Jackson has thrown for 1,201 yards and run for 695 yards as Baltimore has won 6 of their last 7..

Time of possession has been big for the Ravens, they average hogging the ball 33 minutes (out of 60) and the other side just doesn't get the ball as much as they'd like.  Chargers DEs Melvin Ingram and Joey Bosa are big time but on plays where the other side doesn't pass, they are fire hydrants with thunderbolts on their shoulders.

Both QBs are a major questions. Rivers' arm strength seems to have diminished. He cant ask his line to block Baltimore very long. Can he complete passes down the field Sunday.

Lamar Jackson is making his playoff debut and he cant turn it over. the Chargers are the first team to face him a second time and they will defense him differently than they did 2 weeks ago.

The real 'wild card' here is Joe Flacco. If Jackson gets hurt or shut down, Baltimore may go back to Flacco ((232 of 379, 2.465 yards. 12 Tds 6 INTs) to rally the angry birds.

This game breaks big one way or another and  I just dont see Baltimore's disco-era style Oklahoma style wishbone holding up. And I don't know how many times they can blitz Rivers in good weather and not pay for it.

Its not 1976.  Take San Diego to win straight up and take the over.....

I will be at M & T tomorrow. It’s going to be a tough game. Most Ravens games are close like last week against Cleveland. Rarely does this team let you relax with an easy victory .

All I can tell you is when we were 4-5, I thought we were cooked. Had Harbaugh went back to Flacco after the three games Lamar started, there was no way we win the division. Joe did a great job for us in his Raven’s career, but the offense had become too stale and predictable. 

I also have long term concerns about the option offense we have been running. Lamar obviously needs more time to round into a good passing QB. I witnessed what happened to RG III when he met up with Ngata. That being said there is really no choice than to go with what brought you there offensively. 

Defensively, the secondary stunk last week. They were very susceptible to slant and seam routes. Weddle and Jefferson have to play better. They need to play like the #1 defense again to beat Rivers. 

I’m hoping the west to east coast game at 1 PM plays in the Ravens favor. Of course we know the Chargers were a 7-1 road team. Harbaugh is 5-0 in wild card games. Going to be a good game tomorrow. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I agree.  You have a Super Bowl QB sitting on the sidelines. When your defense is this good you can’t have a young QB lose you the game like this.

One more score from the Chargers or punt from Lamar, Flacco is going back. There was a reason why Kubiak put in Peyton for the playoffs even though Osweiler was winning mostly, especially the way the Broncos D was playing that year.

• Like 1