Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Might have to take Jerry Tillery off the Draft Board

Now Ballard might be fine with it but he always talks about wanting high character guys in the locker room. This is a little old but it appears he might be a dirty player 

No maybe he’s learned since then but this is disappointing to see, regardless of when it happened. It’s interesting that this isn’t mentioned in any of his write ups that I have seen. What are your thought?

I remember that.  Very disappointing.  I'm a ND fan, and that was shameful.

It was his sophomore season, and we haven't seen anything similar since then, so maybe he learned from it and isn't like that anymore.

But you can't help but remember the Albert Haynesworth antics when you see stuff like that.  Not the kind of behavior Ballard wants from his players.  :nono:

Did not know this about Tillery. He was an option for me originally as a 2nd round pick. Not saying he's off our board, but Ballard may very well see that as a big character concern and take him off. This is one of those decisions where we have to trust Ballard, but he usually won't take these type of players early.

It appears it was a one time moment.   Is there a pattern?   If the answer is no then this incident will mean almost nothing.    Heat of the moment stuff.

This kind of thing happens from time to time.    Now if more surfaces or if there are also some off the field incidents that we don’t yet know about  then the Colts might reconsider.    Otherwise,  I suspect this incident will not impact things.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I remember that.  Very disappointing.  I'm a ND fan, and that was shameful.

It was his sophomore season, and we haven't seen anything similar since then, so maybe he learned from it and isn't like that anymore.

But you can't help but remember the Albert Haynesworth antics when you see stuff like that.  Not the kind of behavior Ballard wants from his players.  :nono:

It’s good to hear there haven’t been any issues since. However, I wonder if it’s its an attitude issue like with Peters. Maybe he can’t control his emotions, which could be problematic at the next level. Could be a ticking time bomb and you never know when he could go off. 

This stuff is relatively mild

It is nowhere near Albert Haynesworth stomping someones head (without a helmet) with their cleats. That was on the scale of 1-10 least to worst ....  a 10

This is a 1

Is he looking at the guy when he went by? I dont know

Is it the best choice? No  Should it get a 15 yard penalty......  probably

If there was a pattern, I would be more concerned

look at Haynesworth..... its a pattern

look at Burfict (Bengals)........ its a pattern

Did this player give him the business on an earlier play?

This is mild

• Thanks 2

Maybe Ballard will, maybe he won't. 
Obviously he didn't "kick the guy in the head," and i doubt if the ankle thing came out of the blue. It gets tough in the trenches, but he would catch he** for it at any level.
How much will that, back then, cut his Ballard grade, i would expect ZERO.
 Of course we will see this discussed many times here between the combine and right up to the draft. That is when the media will fully vet his career and when we will actually have SOME sense of his character expectations. Hey, maybe we get him in the 5th rd!  :banana:

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

This stuff is relatively mild

It is nowhere near Albert Haynesworth stomping someones head (without a helmet) with their cleats. That was on the scale of 1-10 least to worst ....  a 10

This is a 1

Is he looking at the guy when he went by? I dont know

Is it the best choice? No  Should it get a 15 yard penalty......  probably

If there was a pattern, I would be more concerned

look at Haynesworth..... its a pattern

look at Burfict (Bengals)........ its a pattern

Did this player give him the business on an earlier play?

This is mild

Brian Kelly thoroughly chewed him out on the sidelines so it doesn’t look like there was any misunderstanding as to what happened. Yeah it might not have been a full blown “kick” but he did it to and injured player. Also if you watch the video they said he stepped on Zach Banner’s ankle later in the same game.

I’ve been researching more into him and there is some cause for concern. His freshman year he was suspended from the Fiesta Bowl for violating team rules.

I also read an article about how his coaches questioned his love of the game early on. Said to have a lot of interests outside of football.

I feel like all of this should be getting discussed in his write ups. It doesn’t matter how long ago it was. People are still talking about the Simmons tape and it happened before he started college. Dalvin Cook fell for character concerns over high school incidents. 

I’m not sure why it isn’t discussed more but his character is giving me reason for pause. 

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’ve been researching more into him and there is some cause for concern. His freshman year he was suspended from the Fiesta Bowl for violating team rules.

I also read an article about how his coaches questioned his love of the game early on. Said to have a lot of interests outside of football.

I feel like all of this should be getting discussed in his write ups. It doesn’t matter how long ago it was. People are still talking about the Simmons tape and it happened before he started college. Dalvin Cook fell for character concerns over high school incidents. 

I’m not sure why it isn’t discussed more but his character is giving me reason for pause. 

The Colts are probably doing a BOATLOAD of research on all of the potential draftees

If there is more crap, they will find it. 

I am sure they go to the extent of asking team - mates, former coaches

• Like 1

I arrived at Tillery as my prime target last week.  Apparently he’s a bit of an odd duck, like Matthias Farley is off the field.  But, hey, everyone loves Farley and our biggest team leader, Luck, May be as odd as you find in the league.  I think Tillery would fit well in the locker room.

4 hours ago, Archer said:

I arrived at Tillery as my prime target last week.  Apparently he’s a bit of an odd duck, like Matthias Farley is off the field.  But, hey, everyone loves Farley and our biggest team leader, Luck, May be as odd as you find in the league.  I think Tillery would fit well in the locker room.

He may be available in round 2

If we go DE with the 32nd pick, I would be happy with him at our first pick of the 2nd round........ 

• Like 3

On 1/5/2019 at 9:19 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Now Ballard might be fine with it but he always talks about wanting high character guys in the locker room. This is a little old but it appears he might be a dirty player 

No maybe he’s learned since then but this is disappointing to see, regardless of when it happened. It’s interesting that this isn’t mentioned in any of his write ups that I have seen. What are your thought?

It was 2 years ago and he’s done nothing like this since then. A much ado about nothing situation in my opinion. He is not a repeat offender like Ndamukong Suh or Albert Haynesworth. 

Seems TDN is not happy with his on field work

It took me all of the Michigan game to get really excited about Tillery. He’s been a flashy player for a while but could never really put it all together. And while I have no question that 2018 was his best work to date, I found myself a little more lukewarm on him that I’d expected.

Tillery still has a lot of lapses with leverage and he gets locked out too much to warrant a high ranking for me as a byproduct of that. Yeah, get him in the B-gap and let him fire out! That’s where he’ll win most. But in giving up his chest as often as he does, I’m not sure there isn’t a whole lot more coaching that’s needed to get him to be the dominant force we’ve seen in short stretches.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/07/studs-duds-this-week-in-scouting/

23 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

It was 2 years ago and he’s done nothing like this since then. A much ado about nothing situation in my opinion. He is not a repeat offender like Ndamukong Suh or Albert Haynesworth. 

And Jeffrey Simmons’ video of him striking a woman was over 3 years ago.   People made the same argument for Noah Spence. “But it was so long ago”. How long ago it was doesn’t matter. He could loose his cool like that just as easily at the next level. Maybe he won’t. Point is, it deserves discussion regardless. And as I mentioned he was suspended as a freshman as well. 

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Seems TDN is not happy with his on field work

It took me all of the Michigan game to get really excited about Tillery. He’s been a flashy player for a while but could never really put it all together. And while I have no question that 2018 was his best work to date, I found myself a little more lukewarm on him that I’d expected.

Tillery still has a lot of lapses with leverage and he gets locked out too much to warrant a high ranking for me as a byproduct of that. Yeah, get him in the B-gap and let him fire out! That’s where he’ll win most. But in giving up his chest as often as he does, I’m not sure there isn’t a whole lot more coaching that’s needed to get him to be the dominant force we’ve seen in short stretches.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/07/studs-duds-this-week-in-scouting/

And Jeffrey Simmons’ video of him striking a woman was over 3 years ago.   People made the same argument for Noah Spence. “But it was so long ago”. How long ago it was doesn’t matter. He could loose his cool like that just as easily at the next level. Maybe he won’t. Point is, it deserves discussion regardless. And as I mentioned he was suspended as a freshman as well. 

Striking a woman is a tad more serious.......