Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Leonard and Nelson both named AP All Pro

Superman

35 minutes ago, DrLuck said:

Let's put this to bed,  the number one factor was having leanord grouped with Edge rushers. NFL needs to separate these categories. It makes people strictly look at sacks and that's not fair as they play completely different positions in all but name.

That's a huge problem, but the fact that Benardrick McKinney made it over Darius Leonard (or LVE) is the most glaring omission to me. Separate from the edge/off ball issue, McKinney is off ball like Leonard and has no legitimate claim to the Pro Bowl this season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrLuck said:

Let's put this to bed,  the number one factor was having leanord grouped with Edge rushers. NFL needs to separate these categories. It makes people strictly look at sacks and that's not fair as they play completely different positions in all but name.

^^^This, for the Pro Bowl ballot voting, totally agree!!! WLB for the 4-3 and OLB for 3-4 are not the same. 

Or, they should add 2 more spots on the LB side for both AFC and NFC.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

We also can officially put to bed the idea that Ballard still has to prove he’s better than Grigson. I think this season is more than enough proof.

I didn't even know that was a thing. There was a 110% chance that Ballard would be better than Grigs. Grigs was just so bad...and nothing Ballard has done (in his career) would lead anyone to assume that he would be a bad GM.

However, to be fair to Grigs, he never had the chance at a draft like this...very few GMs ever do.

Someone on another Colts blog claimed that this draft class couldn't/wouldn't make or break Ballard as a GM...that was wrong then...and even moreso now.

1 hour ago, Pelt said:

Niiiiice for the Maniac and QHOP.

I tend to think this is more of an honor than the pointless pro bowl.

You're exactly right!!!!

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Makes that "I'll say this again... Chris Ballard really hasn't impressed me" thread seem like it was eternity ago.

Yes, what a stupid post that was. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Makes that "I'll say this again... Chris Ballard really hasn't impressed me" thread seem like it was eternity ago.

We know these type of threads will pop back up immediately after the draft when Chris Ballard has drafted someone else that wasn't on one of 1,500 mock drafts that are about to start rolling out. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

We know these type of threads will pop back up immediately after the draft when Chris Ballard has drafted someone else that wasn't on one of 1,500 mock drafts that are about to start rolling out. 

:agree:_____Or someone who think they know more than Chris B.. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's the other problem. Pro Bowl nods are used as an incentive in player contracts. 

I think they should be in the contract. Pro Bowl is a measure of a players effectiveness AND marketability (popularity).

If 2 players are 100% identical on the field but one carries Peyton like marketability while the other doesnt - why shouldnt that matter? Popularity = jersey sales, ticket sales, etc.

12 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

I think they should be in the contract. Pro Bowl is a measure of a players effectiveness AND marketability (popularity).

If 2 players are 100% identical on the field but one carries Peyton like marketability while the other doesnt - why shouldnt that matter? Popularity = jersey sales, ticket sales, etc.

I disagree.   Mostly because the market you play in plays a factor.   It's also a popularity contest where the name matters more than the play.  Leonard being left off is a perfect example.  

What bothers me more is that the number of pro bowls you go to has an affect on if you are going to make the HOF or where you rank all time.   That is complete nonsense.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cbear said:

With so many all star type teams being announced by seemingly every organization, is this all-pro team THE all-Pro team that's sort of the main one?  I think it is, but not sure. 

It's one of the 3 All-Pro teams (there is no single All-Pro team). The Pro Football Writer's Association has one and so does the Sporting News. 

AP has an All-Pro 1st Team and 2nd Team...and the PFWA and SN only have an All-Pro 1st Team.

AP, PFWA and SN are all recognized by the NFL record books. However, only players who are on a "First Team" are considered "All Pro" for some reason. I don't know if that is for CBA purposes or something.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Myles said:

I disagree.   Mostly because the market you play in plays a factor.   It's also a popularity contest where the name matters more than the play.  Leonard being left off is a perfect example.  

What bothers me more is that the number of pro bowls you go to has an affect on if you are going to make the HOF or where you rank all time.   That is complete nonsense.  

Exactly, anyone who thinks that Brady deserved to be in the pro bowl over Luck are out of their mind.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly, anyone who thinks that Brady deserved to be in the pro bowl over Luck are out of their mind.

Hopefully some folks in the know voted for Brady one last time as a going away present...

That Defensive Rookie of the Year Voting is going to be a bloodbath. Derwin James also made AP All Pro, which is no small feat w all the Safeties with name recognition as well.

Well deserved for both guys.

And it goes without saying, awesome for Q as well.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree if its merit on the field only but thats more about being All Pro. I agree with Superman that this is just an All-Star game and if more people say they want to see Brady than Luck so be it.

I felt the same way a couple years ago when Kobe made an all-star game he had no business being in. The people wanted to see Kobe at an all-star game more than they wanted to see a more productive on-court player and thats fine. But Kobe was nowhere near the All-NBA team that year.

45 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

It's one of the 3 All-Pro teams (there is no single All-Pro team). The Pro Football Writer's Association has one and so does the Sporting News. 

AP has an All-Pro 1st Team and 2nd Team...and the PFWA and SN only have an All-Pro 1st Team.

AP, PFWA and SN are all recognized by the NFL record books. However, only players who are on a "First Team" are considered "All Pro" for some reason. I don't know if that is for CBA purposes or something.

Thanks.  So you could have three players who could claim to be an all pro (first team) for the same position and be recognized as such by the NFL? 

I give him credit for Leonard, as a lot of people thought he reached on that pick.  Nelson was being talked about as being a generational player. By far best player available at #6. Easy pick in my opinion and everyone knew Colts were taking him at #6 when he was sittting there. Now Pace trading 2 #1's; that took guts.  It's a trade that put his neck on the line if it fails.

26 minutes ago, cbear said:

Thanks.  So you could have three players who could claim to be an all pro (first team) for the same position and be recognized as such by the NFL? 

Sounds that way. But most of the time, it's going to be the same player...or the same group. Here's last year's All-Pro awards. Notice at S that Byard was a 1st Team on AP and PFWA...but Earl Thomas was 1st Team on SN.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2017/allpro.htm

Interestingly, SN doesn't distinguish between positions like RG or LG, RT or OT...so Nelson is going to have beat out both Yanda and Martin to be on SN's 1st Team (even though both are RGs). SN also don't have the "Edge" and "LB" distinction...so Leonard is likely going to run into the same trouble as he did with the Pro Bowl...where he is going up against OLBs like Mack and Von Miller. 

But it doesn't matter because both are awesome...and both were AP 1st Teamers.

PFF also has an All-Pro team that Pro Football Reference tracks...but that muddies it up a bit. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

We also can officially put to bed the idea that Ballard still has to prove he’s better than Grigson. I think this season is more than enough proof.

Short memories around here... Seven years ago, there was as much hype about the Colts and Grigson's first year as there is now. We had a new generational QB, several draft hits, and a ton of cap space.

I'm all about Ballard, but it took two or three years for Grigson's decisions to turn sour.

58 minutes ago, Superman said:

Short memories around here... Seven years ago, there was as much hype about the Colts and Grigson's first year as there is now. We had a new generational QB, several draft hits, and a ton of cap space.

I'm all about Ballard, but it took two or three years for Grigson's decisions to turn sour.

Ballard already has two more All-Pro picks than Grigson.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Two all pro rookies/and players is already more than Grigson had. The offensive line took Andrew Luck from the most sacked QB to the least. Ballard has proven more than enough to prove he’s an upgrade over his predecessor. I’m not crowning him a future HOF GM but best believe that Ballard>Grigson.

4 hours ago, cbear said:

With so many all star type teams being announced by seemingly every organization, is this all-pro team THE all-Pro team that's sort of the main one?  I think it is, but not sure. 

The AP All Pro team is overwhelming the one most referenced.

• Thanks 1

Congrats CB....turned out to be a heckuva draft and year.

I told my wife a few months ago that next year the Colts could be a real contender for the SB in 2019.

They came on even quicker than I thought.

Now add another good draft class and some prime players like Bell or Brown?  

Both?  :)

And yes I know there are risks involved but we can afford it.

What a team it would be.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Congrats CB....turned out to be a heckuva draft and year.

I told my wife a few months ago that next year the Colts could be a real contender for the SB in 2019.

They came on even quicker than I thought.

Now add another good draft class and some prime players like Bell or Brown?  

Both?  :)

And yes I know there are risks involved but we can afford it.

What a team it would be.

Look it's the guy who wasnt impressed with Ballard! He's here now and he's impressed!! haha

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I didn't even know that was a thing. There was a 110% chance that Ballard would be better than Grigs. Grigs was just so bad...and nothing Ballard has done (in his career) would lead anyone to assume that he would be a bad GM.

However, to be fair to Grigs, he never had the chance at a draft like this...very few GMs ever do.

Someone on another Colts blog claimed that this draft class couldn't/wouldn't make or break Ballard as a GM...that was wrong then...and even moreso now.

Well the argument was that it was unfair to crown Ballard after 1 draft and Grigson also started off good. But with no disrespect to Luck or Hilton, Grigson never drafted any All-pro players, let alone rookies. So instead of the usual idea of having to wait a couple years after a draft to judge it, we can already say Ballard’s 2018 draft was a smash and trumps anything Grigson did.

9 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Look it's the guy who wasnt impressed with Ballard! He's here now and he's impressed!! haha

He's a Colts fan just throwing his opinion out there.  No big deal.   

He's happy he was wrong.

Bumped threads such as this are better when they come from non-Colt fans.  I personally enjoyed the bumped Colts "Tire Fire" thread on Chiefs Planet.

7 hours ago, Superman said:

I was certain Nelson would make as I even made a thread on it. I'm not shocked that Leonard made it. I stated a while ago he would easily win ROY and felt that the Pro Bowl snub garner him tons of attention . It was all over twitter ....

• Like 1