Click here to get your free tickets for Colts Training Camp today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jared Cisneros

Interesting article about the best and worst signings of the year

I thought this was a pretty decent article from an agent's perspective on who were the best and worst signings of the year. Two Colts made it, and there were some pretty bad ones from other teams as well. Here's the article.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-the-2018-contract-awards-featuring-the-best-and-worst-nfl-signings-of-the-year/

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I thought this was a pretty decent article from an agent's perspective on who were the best and worst signings of the year. Two Colts made it, and there were some pretty bad ones from other teams as well. Here's the article.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-the-2018-contract-awards-featuring-the-best-and-worst-nfl-signings-of-the-year/

Offensive signing of the year = Eric Ebron :thmup:

Side bar:

More Bortles hate. :facepalm:

Is Bortles elite? No. Not even close, really. 

But he’s really not the garbage player he’s made out to be. The dude had a really good season last year with a couple of receivers who got dialed in with him. Not to interrupt the revisionist history or anything, but they went to the AFC title game, and really should have gone to the Super Bowl last season if not for a slew of late game coaching gaffes. 

And what of those two receivers who had their best years under him? They went elsewhere and really didn’t make much impact. 

This season they let those two WRs go and replaced them with spare parts. Literally spare freaking parts. Their best WR all season was Donte Moncrief. The Donte Moncrief who makes a circus catch one play, and drops a soft lob between the numbers the next play. Fournette was injured all season, and Yeldon ran well in his absence, but wasn’t a true replacement. 

Of course Bortles is going to look bad under those circumstances. The truth is most QBs would have struggled in his spot this season with no run game capable of bringing the defense into the box and one of the worst receiving corps that I can remember. 

He’s a middle of the pack system QB at best, but he gets way more flack than he deserves. 

28 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Side bar:

More Bortles hate. :facepalm:

Is Bortles elite? No. Not even close, really. 

But he’s really not the garbage player he’s made out to be. The dude had a really good season last year with a couple of receivers who got dialed in with him. Not to interrupt the revisionist history or anything, but they went to the AFC title game, and really should have gone to the Super Bowl last season if not for a slew of late game coaching gaffes. 

And what of those two receivers who had their best years under him? They went elsewhere and really didn’t make much impact. 

This season they let those two WRs go and replaced them with spare parts. Literally spare freaking parts. Their best WR all season was Donte Moncrief. The Donte Moncrief who makes a circus catch one play, and drops a soft lob between the numbers the next play. Fournette was injured all season, and Yeldon ran well in his absence, but wasn’t a true replacement. 

Of course Bortles is going to look bad under those circumstances. The truth is most QBs would have struggled in his spot this season with no run game capable of bringing the defense into the box and one of the worst receiving corps that I can remember. 

He’s a middle of the pack system QB at best, but he gets way more flack than he deserves. 

Put Luck on Jacksonville with that Defense, they make the Playoffs easily. Bortles is bad. 

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Put Luck on Jacksonville with that Defense, they make the Playoffs easily. Bortles is bad. 

I doubt that. Hilton by himself is better than their entire collective WR corps. There’s really no solid argument that Moncrief is better than Rodgers or even Grant. 

They literally have spare parts and warm camp bodies at WR. 

Hands down Ebron was a great signing. He is hillarious in the locker room as well. He keeps the locker room fun. I have seen s few short videos of him in the locker room after games and I just laugh.

Interesting:  They rated Adrian Peterson as the "Biggest Steal" among the 2018 free agent signings.  The runner-up in that category was Pierre Desir.  

5 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I doubt that. Hilton by himself is better than their entire collective WR corps. There’s really no solid argument that Moncrief is better than Rodgers or even Grant. 

They literally have spare parts and warm camp bodies at WR. 

You doubt that Luck on Jax would be a playoff team???  

Bortles was around 20th in TD%, INT%, TD/INT ratio, YPA in 2017.. They got to AFC title game on the back of their defense. Coaching staff blew the game but Bortles sucked too and they were kind of related since they seemingly didn't trust Bortles to throw the ball. If the Jax have a good QB in that game and it's a blowout. Even Yeldon faced 8man boxes about 21% of the time. With his contract I'd take him over Allen, Keenum, Tannehill.. and that's it. And Alex Smith since he's probably done. Winston is a tough one. Bortles has good arms strength and can scramble for yards. Not sure he is even solid at anything else. 

17 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

You doubt that Luck on Jax would be a playoff team???  

Who is he throwing to? Moncrief? Good luck moving the ball the way he drops it. 

Now rinse and repeat that with all of their other receivers. In stereo. Because as inconsistent and unreliable as Moncrief is, he’s their best option at receiver. 

Can you even name one of their TEs off the top of your head? 

Yeldon sure as hell isn’t going to catch a lot of passes out of the backfield. And if he does, he isn’t going far with them. 

Here’s a fun game! Take a guess which team in the league shares the lead for the amount of dropped passes. 

Never mind, it’s the Jags!

And before you go all “well Luck would make them look better than they are!”  let’s not forget that Luck has already had Moncrief. And all he could make Moncrief look like is... Moncrief. If Luck were the key to making receivers look better than they are we wouldn’t be disappointed with the production of Chester Rodgers and Ryan Grant this season. 

The 2018 Jaguars ARE NOT the same team that went to the AFC title game and nearly beat New England for a Super Bowl berth for a host of reasons, and the fact that they stymied themselves offensively with no viable options to catch passes being one of the most prevalent. Andrew Luck, as good as he is, is not the answer to that. 

Hmmm...seems like Autry should be a steal over Desir. Also, Desir was a re-signing...so not really a steal in the sense that the Colts stole him from someone else.

On a side note....I really really wanted to sign Fuller as a FA. Would have been a great fit.