Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

425 of 606, 4,298 yards, 30 TDs, 10 interceptions

oldunclemark

Completion percentage of 70.1%

Five 300-yard games...Two 400-yard games.  Nine games of 2 TDs or more

….....even though he was sacked 40 times..

Both his receivers were Pro Bowl players. TE was strong. RB is strong.

You probably guessed: These are the 16-game numbers of 'Captain Kirk' Cousins of Minnesota.

..Other than getting some new offensive linemen in here..I dont know what you do:dunno:

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

You probably guessed: These are the 16-game numbers of 'Captain Kirk' Cousins of Minnesota.

..Other than getting some new offensive linemen in here..I dont know what you do:dunno:

The inconsistencies killed them. Losing to the Bills at home, laying eggs vs the Saints, Patriots and Seahawks with terrible offensive performances was what did them in.

Their record was abysmal vs winning teams. Numbers, without context, do no mean much and that is the case with Kirk. He is still a very good QB but everyone is pressing on offense there, and Mike Zimmer's expectations of how an offense should be run plus Kirk's contract albatross probably looms large on their minds.

Kirk should just learn to ignore the noise and develop better chemistry with the offense and their identity should be Kirk and the passing offense with balance as necessary. Mike Zimmer's expectation that the run should open up the pass may not always be possible and he needs to be flexible on game plans that change from game to game.

• Like 4

Kirk is being called a 'failure' and I guess that's fair, based on the money spent.

But he cant do a lot better statistically..and neither can his receivers

You are probably right about the structure of the offense and here's another team that runs the offense the way teams played it 5-10 years ago..

There's no guarantees but they might invest in a speed back who can go in motion, line up in the slot and play the lateral movement game the way KC, Bears and the Rams do.

Of all the teams that are not in the playoffs, I think the Minnesota Vikings have the best players.  They are better than Dallas and Seattle but they'll watch those two play this Saturday

Edited by oldunclemark

6 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

It really bothers me when people bring up volume stats without watching how the QB played in the game. Do you recall that year when Blake Bortles had those great stats?  His numbers were very similar to Cousins' stats. How many people were calling Bortles great? If someone is throwing as many times as Cousins did, he is likely to have lots of passing yards and TDs. No?Recently, he had a terrible first half in a game (can't recall which game). In the second half, he threw 200 meaningless yards and 2 TDs and we lost. Looking at the stat line, one would have believed he played well when even he said he played poorly.

Cousins does not step up when you need him to. In Washington, fans and reporters said he was poor in the red zone. Well, he was poor in the red zone here too. (We were 26th in red zone efficiency. A lot had to do with him. With the same team Case did a lot better.) Cousins reminds me so much of Sam Bradford. 

Btw, you did not say that he led the league in turnovers (at least he was leading in TOs going into Week 17).

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

It really bothers me when people bring up volume stats without looking at how the QB played. Do you recall that year when Blake Bortles had those great stats -- they were very similar to Cousins' stats. How many people were calling him great? If someone is throwing as many times as Cousins did, he is likely to have lots of passing yards and TDs. No?Recently, he had a terrible first half in a game (can't recall which game). In the second half, he threw 200 meaningless yards and 2 TDs and we lost.  

Cousins does not step up when you need him to. In Washington, fans and reporters said he was poor in the red zone. Well, he was poor in the red zone here too. (We were 26th in fed zone efficiency. A lot had to do with him. With the same team Case did a lot better.) Cousins reminds me so much of Sam Bradford. 

Btw, you did not say that he led the league in turnovers (at least he was leading in TOs going into Week 17).

I gave you a LIKE because what you said makes sense but I actually think Captain Kirk is Good. He just isn't Very Good or Great. He is Top half of the league though IMO (Top 16). I think your Vikes need a better O.Line and need to get more creative with Offensive play calling like the Colts have this season.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I gave you a LIKE because what you said makes sense but I actually think Captain Kirk is Good. He just isn't Very Good or Great. He is Top half of the league though IMO (Top 16). I think your Vikes need a better O.Line and need to get more creative with Offensive play calling like the Colts have this season.

He is good stats-wise. But watch him play every game, you may get frustrated too. I completely agree about the OL; however, with all the money invested in Cousins, we don't have cap space to get OL in free agency. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

The inconsistencies killed them. Losing to the Bills at home, laying eggs vs the Saints, Patriots and Seahawks with terrible offensive performances was what did them in.

Their record was abysmal vs winning teams. Numbers, without context, do no mean much and that is the case with Kirk. He is still a very good QB but everyone is pressing on offense there, and Mike Zimmer's expectations of how an offense should be run plus Kirk's contract albatross probably looms large on their minds.

Kirk should just learn to ignore the noise and develop better chemistry with the offense and their identity should be Kirk and the passing offense with balance as necessary. Mike Zimmer's expectation that the run should open up the pass may not always be possible and he needs to be flexible on game plans that change from game to game.

^^^Very much this

17 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Other than getting some new offensive linemen in here..I dont know what you do:dunno:

This article could have been written by me, except I am not as good a writer. The author's sentiments and observations are the same as mine.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/1/2/18163320/vikings-off-season-evaluation-qbs#comments

18 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

In the Pats Game they pretty much made the WR VANISH Phelan got something like 4 catches 40 yards and 1 TD?  You take away him and Cousins looked lost. 

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:06 PM, NFLfan said:

It really bothers me when people bring up volume stats without watching how the QB played in the game. Do you recall that year when Blake Bortles had those great stats?  His numbers were very similar to Cousins' stats. How many people were calling Bortles great? If someone is throwing as many times as Cousins did, he is likely to have lots of passing yards and TDs. No?Recently, he had a terrible first half in a game (can't recall which game). In the second half, he threw 200 meaningless yards and 2 TDs and we lost. Looking at the stat line, one would have believed he played well when even he said he played poorly.

Cousins does not step up when you need him to. In Washington, fans and reporters said he was poor in the red zone. Well, he was poor in the red zone here too. (We were 26th in red zone efficiency. A lot had to do with him. With the same team Case did a lot better.) Cousins reminds me so much of Sam Bradford. 

You are making my point....NFL...although you may not realize it

I put up 'numbers without context' like Chad said.

That's the point. That's what I'm dong. That was my intent.

When I do this I want to show the difference between 'numbers' and 'numbers when you attach a name, a team and wins and losses to them.

Understand?

You are right. I didn't see all 16 Vikings games. I saw nine of the Vikings games that I can recall...The Rams, The Eagles. New Orleans. New England, Seattle....the 2 against the Bears and the 2 against GB.  I wanted them to win.

But I cant judge him like you can because I didn't see every game. .

..a couple of corrections though.

*To me, Blake Bortles has never had a great 'stat' year. The year I believe you are referring to was when he threw for 4,400 yards. He also completed 59% of his passes and had 18 interceptions that year./ He was mediocre..

*I didn't say that Kirk led the league in turnovers because he didn't.

He led the league in fumbles (7) for QBs. 

Ben had 18 turnovers.  Rosen had 19.

*And when I said that I don't think Kirk (and his WRs) can do any better 'stat-wise'  I meant that literally. Cousins isnt going to throw for 5,000 yards and throw for 50 TDs like Mahomes. 

This is his limit.

I believe you thought I was advocating for the greatness of Kirk Cousins and that was not my intent at all. As I said, he is being called a failure and I guess that's fair, based on the money spent.

In the overall sense, it is 100% fair.

To me. There are 2 types of teams in the NFL. Teams that make the playoffs and teams that fail.

Edited by oldunclemark

9 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Exactly.  He may be good notably (when the pressure is low), but what he is Not is Clutch.

He is similar to Sam Bradford. I actually think he is more clutch than Sam. I think Sam is more talented but his being so gunshy kept him from fully displaying his talents. 

I want us to draft a QB in the next year or two. 

13 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

He is similar to Sam Bradford. I actually think he is more clutch than Sam. I think Sam is more talented but his being so gunshy kept him from fully displaying his talents. 

I want us to draft a QB in the next year or two. 

I thin Sam was going through Alex Smith syndrome... with major injuries added in.

Time to spend a 1-3 round  pick on a potential Cousins successor...

• Like 1