Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you trade for Antonio Brown?

Lawrence Owen

They aren't going to trade AB. If they were, I'd seriously consider it, but for no more than a third rounder. And my decision would really be based on serious discussions with him and his agent prior to pulling the trigger. 

End of the day, I wouldn't expect all the variables to line up to my satisfaction to feel comfortable making this trade.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2018 at 8:01 PM, BOTT said:

It's not about wanting the ball...all good players want the ball and make a difference for their team.  It's about being so selfish you don't realize that live streaming your HC in the locker room may not be a good idea.....or blowing off meetings because you got into a lovers quarrel with your bloated QB.

Exactly...not only that but the blatant disrespect displayed towards Tomlin and his team mates here is enough for me to not want him anywhere near the Colts locker room.  

23 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Maybe his ego is WHY he wasn't voted team MVP...  :bored:

This right here. JuJu getting it over AB is very telling. The guys in that locker room believe that JuJu is a better player/teammate combo than AB is. There's no doubt that AB is a better player, but a thing like this shows that AB's actions have alienated him from the rest of the team.

You also saw JuJu publically take the fall for the last minute fumble week 16 that ended up costing them the game. That kind of thing resonates with teammates, especially when AB's reaction in similar situations in the past have been to cast the blame on the QB, OC, etc. for not getting him the ball more.

AB is absurdly talented, but when your ego supersedes your ability to be a good teammate, you're more likely to destroy a locker room than help it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Or how about TY spelling  his "TY" after he scores a touchdown and that is not diva like?  It screams I am TY, look at me.  Or how about Reggie showing up at training camp the 1st. day in some crazy way.  Making himself the story on the that day.  That says look at me.  Both of these examples are diva like and both by Colts WR's.  I have no problem with either.  Just young players having fun and expressing themselves. 

.....or that time Luck gave a fist pump #divaqb

On 12/31/2018 at 4:33 PM, GoColts8818 said:

This won’t go over well but even Peyton was to an extent.  Remember the gosh darn it Donald play?  If Tom Brady had done something like that to one of his teammates in the middle of play people here would have torn into him for going after his teammates during a play.  

Off topic, but Brady has gone and does go after his teammates. I don't know that there's been a sound bite of it like that -- which was always overblown, IMO -- but Brady has yelled and screamed at teammates and coaches on the sidelines, which is way worse than Manning calling out Donald Brown.

And there's a huge difference between being competitive and demanding -- which is how I'd describe the Manning and Brady episodes -- and being a selfish diva and bad teammate, which is how I'd describe throwing the ball at your teammate, holding yourself out of a game, and leaving at halftime of said game.

Not saying the Colts should consider Brown but attitudes can change with a new situation.

Take Randy Moss and the Patriots. Moss was a major problem on and off the field but that ended when he hit NE. Desaun Jackson with the Bucs is another one off the top of my head.  

If the locker room and leadership (ie: Luck, Ballard, Reich) are as great as most seem to think they are dont they have the ability to turn a player like Brown around? The Pats did it with Moss right? Do you believe in the leadership/culture or not? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Not saying the Colts should consider Brown but attitudes can change with a new situation.

Take Randy Moss and the Patriots. Moss was a major problem on and off the field but that ended when he hit NE. Desaun Jackson with the Bucs is another one off the top of my head.  

If the locker room and leadership (ie: Luck, Ballard, Reich) are as great as most seem to think they are dont they have the ability to turn a player like Brown around? The Pats did it with Moss right? Do you believe in the leadership/culture or not? 

I do believe in the leadership/culture that is being developed.  I also believe some people don't change and will continue to be a distraction.

So are you willing to trade a high draft pick and absorb the salary of a guy that might just as easily not succeed in this culture?  Maybe he works out, maybe he doesn't.  

I wouldn't take that risk.  Would rather find an FA or get a guy in the draft.  That way we don't lose the draft pick and we don't absorb that salary of a question mark guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Off topic, but Brady has gone and does go after his teammates. I don't know that there's been a sound bite of it like that -- which was always overblown, IMO -- but Brady has yelled and screamed at teammates and coaches on the sidelines, which is way worse than Manning calling out Donald Brown.

And there's a huge difference between being competitive and demanding -- which is how I'd describe the Manning and Brady episodes -- and being a selfish diva and bad teammate, which is how I'd describe throwing the ball at your teammate, holding yourself out of a game, and leaving at halftime of said game.

I think I made that difference clear in a latter post as I said there was nothing wrong with what Peyton did.

4 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I do believe in the leadership/culture that is being developed.  I also believe some people don't change and will continue to be a distraction.

So are you willing to trade a high draft pick and absorb the salary of a guy that might just as easily not succeed in this culture?  Maybe he works out, maybe he doesn't.  

I wouldn't take that risk.  Would rather find an FA or get a guy in the draft.  That way we don't lose the draft pick and we don't absorb that salary of a question mark guy.

We agree on Brown. Im not saying Id take the risk either mostly due to the salary, I was just pointing out that bad seeds can change and its happened recently with players at the same position. 

If I was in charge I wouldn't make a deal for Brown but I would never rule a player out for bad attitude issues either (barring a Ray Rice or Greg Hardy situation).

3 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Deion Sanders is clueless.

Prime-on-A-B-What-did-Steelers-expect-after-giving-JuJu-team-MVP

Primetime is trying to justify Browns' behavior by saying he should have been voted MVP instead of Juju.

So the Steelers players should have voted for AB just to appease his ego?  Maybe his ego is WHY he wasn't voted team MVP...  :bored:

Deion Sanders consistently puts out some of the DUMBEST takes in sports I've ever heard. I honestly don't know why some of those ex-players who obviously are clueless and have close to zero insight to contribute still get the spotlight. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

We agree on Brown. Im not saying Id take the risk either mostly due to the salary, I was just pointing out that bad seeds can change and its happened recently with players at the same position. 

If I was in charge I wouldn't make a deal for Brown but I would never rule a player out for bad attitude issues either (barring a Ray Rice or Greg Hardy situation).

Fair enough.  For me - if I were a GM - to take on an issue like this the guy would need to show he intends to succeed.  Like a restructured deal that is low on salary and high on incentives.  Prove to me you want to be here kind of thing.  Would need to be a contract the team can walk away from easily.

Blame goes to Tomlin. He has permitted all this soap opera crap to air to the media/public. Add to that he last lost games to the Raiders and to the Broncos. He has lost his team. He will be back next year but I don't see him getting this team under his control.

AB is the best receiver in football. He’ll be great wherever he goes as long as his attitude doesn’t get in the way. But then there’s the rub. It WILL get in the way. He’ll kill a locker room with his diva attitude. NOT A COLT kind of guy. He’s never coming here and I for one am glad despite his amazing talent. 

8 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

why would anyone want a guy who is willing to miss practices and get benched prior to a must win game just to have a chance at making the playoffs?  Sorry.  He's not worth the headache if this is the extent to which he's willing to go when he gets unhappy about something.

Great point. He literally bailed when things weren't going the way he'd like. The timing of it was truly a '# you Steelers'. 

Reggie and Marvin he ain't.

Looks like AB is pursuing a singing career. (Lol) 

Anyone see him on the masked singer show?

i bet he wishes he wasnt the 1st voted out.... VERY bad timing.

I told my brother i thought it was him from his dancing.  I was right.  My brother(diehard Steeler fan with a bad attitude recently) didnt comment.

maybe he "hurt" that knee in that hippo costume.

Yes I would trade for him. A Day Two pick for a HOF WR who likely has a few years left of peak production? He's average AV for one year is probably higher than the avg career AV for Day Two picks. 

He would also help maximize the current competitve window...and I would be willing to take my chances that a change of scenery would help curb his mercurial behavior.

But I don't think Ballard would though...and that's perfectly fine with me. 

However, trading for a star talent under contract could be a great way to leverage that cap space and add immediate impact to a team that is ready to compete. Curious to see who else becomes available this offseason that could fit.

Andrew Brandt is a great follow on Twitter.  He had a really interesting take regarding AB yesterday.

1) His cap hit to Pittsburgh next year makes it a near certainty that he won't be traded.

2) The time when he can actually be traded is not for another 60 days which gives all this current furor time to die down and become if not a non-story, certainly a diminished story.

As to would the Colts do it were it realistic.

1) I see a trade for AB upsetting the culture that Ballard and Reich have created.

2) I don't see any way that Ballard would give up the necessary draft capital necessary to get AB from the Steelers.

3) I think Ballard wants to give the truly big contracts to guys who are Colts.  It is virtually impossibly for me to see him bringing in someone from outside 56th Street who will be the highest or 2nd highest paid player on the team.  

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Yes I would trade for him. A Day Two pick for a HOF WR who likely has a few years left of peak production? He's average AV for one year is probably higher than the avg career AV for Day Two picks. 

He would also help maximize the current competitve window...and I would be willing to take my chances that a change of scenery would help curb his mercurial behavior.

But I don't think Ballard would though...and that's perfectly fine with me. 

However, trading for a star talent under contract could be a great way to leverage that cap space and add immediate impact to a team that is ready to compete. Curious to see who else becomes available this offseason that could fit.

I don't see Ballard trading draft picks for a 30 year old diva WR and making him the 2nd largest paid player on the team.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Tomlin said AB did not ask for a trade.

IMO the Steelers are not going to trade him.

Someone said AB is acting out like this because he knows the Steelers can't really trade him because of the financial mess it would create for them.

He probably wouldn't be acting like this if he was still trying to earn his roster spot and a big contract.  That's pretty telling.

A persons' behavior when there are no consequences is the true sign of their character.

• Like 1

Ok posters, enough of this thread and all of the AB nonsense. 

Ballard is on record saying that the whole locker room is watching

transactions and payouts. If he pays an untested non Colt player

top dollar then the whole locker room is going to try to get as much

as they can come contract time.

It doesn't take too many top dollar contracts to blow up a 

salary cap and cripple a team for the future, especially 

for a guy you don't know what he is all about in the locker

room.

Will Ballard pay up for the top talent on the team in the future 

IE Luck, QHOP, or Leonard? Who knows at this point.

9 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Looks like AB is pursuing a singing career. (Lol) 

Anyone see him on the masked singer show?

i bet he wishes he wasnt the 1st voted out.... VERY bad timing.

I told my brother i thought it was him from his dancing.  I was right.  My brother(diehard Steeler fan with a bad attitude recently) didnt comment.

maybe he "hurt" that knee in that hippo costume.

WOW!  People really watch that show?