Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldunclemark

380 of 576, 4,299 yards, 21 TDs 11 interceptions

Despite the fact that he was sacked 47 times.

Five 300-yard games...six games of 2 or more TD passes..

Led his team to wins over division champ Houston and the Bears..

Those are the 2018 numbers for Eli Manning.

You cant cut a guy with those numbers, can you?

I'm with you. Despite all the sacks the Giants were pretty close to having a winning record. (5-11)

The defense really let them down on multiple occasions. 

I can think of 3 games off the top of my head they probably ahould of won.

Panthers game early in season - Gano hit 62yd Fg to beat them.

Colts game - no explanation needed here.

Cowboys game week 17- Eli did everything to win that game defense let Cowboys come back.

Those last 2 games of the year were without Beckham as well.

That right there would have them at 8-8.

Now looking back at there schedule/results.

Games thet were in they could've/should've won.

Falcons game

Eagles game week 12 - defense allowed them to come back from 19-3 deficit, then to come down at end of game to win it.

Jaguars game week 1 - Although Eli threw pick 6 that really decided that game.

Anyway, thats to much looking back at Eli's season.

I did so, because outside of some untimely sacks and int's I thought Eli had a pretty good season.

He will be in Jacksonville next year if not on the Giants.

He should finish his career in New York. They need to get him some better line play and scheme the ball out quicker more.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Despite the fact that he was sacked 47 times.

Five 300-yard games...six games of 2 or more TD passes..

Led his team to wins over division champ Houston and the Bears..

Those are the 2018 numbers for Eli Manning.

You cant cut a guy with those numbers, can you?

If he were 23 you stick with him.

Also, acknowledge that's 10 games with 1 or fewer TDs.

Perhaps Eli kept his job for next year as soon as the backup QB went and got himself arrested. Didn't his play pick up around then as well?

11 minutes ago, 18to87 said:

Perhaps Eli kept his job for next year as soon as the backup QB went and got himself arrested. Didn't his play pick up around then as well?

He probably showed OBJ, who had indirect doubts about his play earlier in the season, that they could be competitive without him. It’s like when Tiki Barber and Jeremy Shockey were absent for the 2007 SB run. When the me, me, me players take a back seat, the “team” has 1 leader, which is Eli, and everyone knows to fall in line moving forward.

Giants are definitely keeping him but drafting his replacement. Losing helped them get ahead of Jaguars and I wouldn’t be surprised if Jaguars trade up for Haskins ahead of Giants.

My gut feeling still says Flacco, with his close to $25 million cap hit is let go because I don’t see him restructuring. That, plus Nick Foles in the market should help QB needy teams that didn’t get one in the draft last year.

2 hours ago, buccolts said:

That's fair.

Its not settled from what I read.

You can argue that with Saquan and Odell, he should have 30-35 TDs

But do you cut him and sign Tannehill or Flacco?  Or draft the Ohio State kid?

1 hour ago, 18to87 said:

Eli's last 2 games against the Colts and Dallas were his best.  300-yard games

But BUC is right..he is 37..and you have to move on soon

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

My gut feeling still says Flacco, with his close to $18.5 million cap hit is let go because I don’t see him restructuring. That, plus Nick Foles in the market should help QB needy teams that didn’t get one in the draft last year.

Correction - Flacco's set to make $18.5 million next year. Way too much for a back up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001000107/article/joe-flacco-not-expected-to-be-back-with-ravens-in-19

21 hours ago, buccolts said:

This. . . 

Manning is past his prime not before his prime.  While he could play better with some better protection the thing is that you can tell he's probably not in the top 15 in terms of QB's right now and he's only going to get worse not better.  

And since the team around him is no where near what it would need to be to compete for another championship, it makes the most sense to consider finding someone in the draft to be the QB of the future and eventually let Eli spend the last few years of his career playing for a team that can put more talent around him.

Now what is working in Eli's favor is that since the Giants went for Barkley last year in a QB heavy draft they don't have a lot of options in this draft which is rather light at that position.  Plus the Giants may want to sit their rookie for a year and let him learn a bit from Eli before he starts. 

So if the Giants can't get their QB this year, Eli might be sticking with the Giants for 2 more years.

19 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

That's fair.

Its not settled from what I read.

You can argue that with Saquan and Odell, he should have 30-35 TDs

But do you cut him and sign Tannehill or Flacco?  Or draft the Ohio State kid?

I don't see Tannehill or Flacco to be improvements over Eli.  If you have a good team that just needs a QB, maybe Tannehill or Flacco might be options.  Seems to me that Giants need a complete rebuild.  That calls for a rookie QB.  

Of course the problem is that the draft is a little light at that position.  

On a side note I have a little bit of trouble believing in Haskins.  Seems to randomly lay some stinkers.  Although part of this is likely that I havn't really watched him for a whole game save for the time that he threw 3 Int's and got smoked by Iowa.  (I'm an Iowa fan so this game was glorious to me.)  I didn't see the game but I have to feel partially that getting smoked by Purdue this year was likely partially on him as well.  But laying stinkers against inferior teams makes me question him a bit.

But then again I felt the same about Josh Allen because he looked putrid against Iowa and other power 5 teams, even though he didn't have as much talent around him as Haskins does.  

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:47 AM, Valpo2004 said:

I don't see Tannehill or Flacco to be improvements over Eli.  If you have a good team that just needs a QB, maybe Tannehill or Flacco might be options.  Seems to me that Giants need a complete rebuild.  That calls for a rookie QB.  

Of course the problem is that the draft is a little light at that position.  

On a side note I have a little bit of trouble believing in Haskins.  Seems to randomly lay some stinkers.  Although part of this is likely that I havn't really watched him for a whole game save for the time that he threw 3 Int's and got smoked by Iowa.  (I'm an Iowa fan so this game was glorious to me.)  I didn't see the game but I have to feel partially that getting smoked by Purdue this year was likely partially on him as well.  But laying stinkers against inferior teams makes me question him a bit.

But then again I felt the same about Josh Allen because he looked putrid against Iowa and other power 5 teams, even though he didn't have as much talent around him as Haskins does.  

I think that those of us with no stock in the situation, look at it differently.

Of course Eli is near the end of the line. Obviously, with a high pick they could get Haskins, who is a big time prospect although (as you suggest) with only one year as a starter.

But it s way too easy for us to say that.

Nobody does a complete rebuild. The Colts didn't. They had Andrew.

They didn't rebuild. They just got Andrew back. Even the Raiders arent doing a complete rebuild. They still have their vet QB. 

The Giants might think they play in a weak division. A division they can win next year.

If you believe that, you go for it. You keep Eli and look at the QB market in 2020.

All 12 teams in the playoffs are Super Bowl contenders.

All you need is to be one of them.