Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the jets pick in the second round......

I don’t know who we pick but I’m excited it’s the second pick in the second rd! Might as well be another first rd pick. Man that trade last year looks even better! I mean look how GB gave up the 14th pick just to get perhaps the last pick in the 1st rd this year. Three seconds and who knows if they all turn out to be starters.

The way I look at is that the acolts essentially have two high 2nd round picks. I think 22 is the earliest we could pick if we get beat immediately. At that pick there’s not many true 1st round blue chip prospects left. I agree that trading down wouldn’t be a bad option.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CR91 said:

Don't be surprised if we trade out of the first round to pick up more picks especially if we're picking late if we make a playoff run. 

I’m sorry....   I’m confused...    the title of the thread talks about the pick we got from the Jets in the Nelson trade.  Roughly, pick 35.

But the actual post is all about what we might do with our first round pick.   Roughly,  pick 21/22.

So which is it?   Which pick are we talking about?    Inquiring minds want to know....?

23 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

If we trade up, it better be one of the Defensive Tackles or a Cornerback. We can get a top notch Wide Receiver in the 2nd round. I hope DK Metcalf or someone like that falls to the 2nd. 

Why would necessarily be for a DT or corner?  Why would those be only positions worth trading up for?

17 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

The way I look at is that the acolts essentially have two high 2nd round picks. I think 22 is the earliest we could pick if we get beat immediately. At that pick there’s not many true 1st round blue chip prospects left. I agree that trading down wouldn’t be a bad option.

Funny you say that. Maybe Ballard and his staff have 3-4 guys on THEIR ( not your) board that they really want at 22. You do understand that you do not now, nor will have a CLUE about what those Knowlegeable Professionals have graded players at. 

I like the odds that we move up 2-3 spots to get THEIR Blue Chipper. 

We do need Blue Chippers.

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Funny you say that. Maybe Ballard and his staff have 3-4 guys on THEIR ( not your) board that they really want at 22. You do understand that you do not now, nor will have a CLUE about what those Knowlegeable Professionals have graded players at. 

I like the odds that we move up 2-3 spots to get THEIR Blue Chipper. 

We do need Blue Chippers.

I’m not sure why you took my comment so serious. Of course I know I’m no scout, GM, or NFL insider. I was just speaking in general about real trends. Once you get past a certain point in the 1st round, the talent levels start to decrease a bit. It doesn’t mean that guys taken there can’t be as good as guys taken earlier, but it’s not a reach when I say the true blue chip prospects are usually gone within the 1st 15 picks or so. And here’s an article for reference to what I was saying. Not that this particular author wasn’t wrong about certain players but his line of thinking is what counts:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2018/3/23/17150534/scouting-report-identifies-2018-nfl-drafts-blue-chip-prospects-barkley-nelson-edmunds-mayfield-chubb

I would argue that he should have had Derwin James on there as well. But the point I’m making is that my initial thought weren’t just my own. It’s something that I learned by listening to actual experts.

I would love to get the top wideout in N'Keal Harry in round 1, and then get DT Derrick Brown from Auburn with the 34th overall pick. 

Just imagine this offense with adding Harry, and then adding a big piece to the DL to continue to free up our pass rushers in Turay, Lewis, Autry, and Sheard. 

• Like 2

Any Linebackers coming out of South Carolina State not on any GM radars this year...? 

ma·ni·ac

/ˈmānēˌak/

noun

INFORMAL

a person exhibiting extreme symptoms of wild behavior, especially when violent and dangerous.

"a homicidal maniac"...an obsessive enthusiast.

Just saying...ha

On 1/1/2019 at 8:31 PM, Defjamz26 said:

I’m not sure why you took my comment so serious. Of course I know I’m no scout, GM, or NFL insider. I was just speaking in general about real trends. Once you get past a certain point in the 1st round, the talent levels start to decrease a bit. It doesn’t mean that guys taken there can’t be as good as guys taken earlier, but it’s not a reach when I say the true blue chip prospects are usually gone within the 1st 15 picks or so. And here’s an article for reference to what I was saying. Not that this particular author wasn’t wrong about certain players but his line of thinking is what counts:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2018/3/23/17150534/scouting-report-identifies-2018-nfl-drafts-blue-chip-prospects-barkley-nelson-edmunds-mayfield-chubb

I would argue that he should have had Derwin James on there as well. But the point I’m making is that my initial thought weren’t just my own. It’s something that I learned by listening to actual experts.

Thanks for the refresher. I have seen that posted on our board hundreds of times.
Our GM has his own views on what makes a prospect great for his system. All that matters to Ballard is how does the individual fit. And draft day talent is not #1 on his list because he looks deeper into the individual. We will see of course.
I believe there will be several coveted players available at our spot. And they will play DT. If he grades them equal he would look to go back. But i expect him to have a favorite.  
Hey, we will all be tickled to death if he sees the draft falling to us and CAN trade back. 

On 12/31/2018 at 8:41 PM, Defjamz26 said:

The problem with this post is you assume all 32 teams have a board that looks the same.    That the players are all graded the same on their respective team boards.

You realize that’s not the case.   That all teams see every round differently.   That teams see players differently than Mel and Todd and Jeremiah and Mayock.    

So assuming Ballard’s top 21 players will be gone when we pick at 22 is flawed thinking.    There is zero unanimity on first round talent.  Zero.   On any talent really...

And just because most years evaluators believe there are roughly 20 first round quality players doesn’t mean that Ballard’s board would look the same.

Just keep repeating.....    every GM sees the same thing differently....

Then...   wash...   rinse....   repeat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Thanks for the refresher. I have seen that posted on our board hundreds of times.
Our GM has his own views on what makes a prospect great for his system. All that matters to Ballard is how does the individual fit. And draft day talent is not #1 on his list because he looks deeper into the individual. We will see of course.
I believe there will be several coveted players available at our spot. And they will play DT. If he grades them equal he would look to go back. But i expect him to have a favorite.  
Hey, we will all be tickled to death if he sees the draft falling to us and CAN trade back. 

So what if he see’s an elite WR there? You keep preaching that there will be DT there but you’re doing exactly what you’re accusing me of doing. You’re making assumptions on how Ballard will see things.

54 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The problem with this post is you assume all 32 teams have a board that looks the same.    That the players are all graded the same on their respective team boards.

You realize that’s not the case.   That all teams see every round differently.   That teams see players differently than Mel and Todd and Jeremiah and Mayock.    

So assuming Ballard’s top 21 players will be gone when we pick at 22 is flawed thinking.    There is zero unanimity on first round talent.  Zero.   On any talent really...

And just because most years evaluators believe there are roughly 20 first round quality players doesn’t mean that Ballard’s board would look the same.

Just keep repeating.....    every GM sees the same thing differently....

Then...   wash...   rinse....   repeat.

My friend. Your reading comprehension doesn’t seem to have gotten any better over the months. Let me enlighten you.

As you typically do to multiple posters, you take someone sharing their thoughts and somehow convert it to the person claiming to know what will happen 1st hand and how a person will view something. You need to stop doing that. You’re getting triggered and rushing to the keyboard to “correct” people, which is why you always type out these long paragraph responses while throwing in well disguised shade.

Let me take you through what I said by taking you through what I did not say first.

I did not say:

-Ballard will look at his board and won’t see anyone he likes and will 100% trade down

-All GMs have the prospects rated and graded exactly the same and this is how the draft is every year

Here’s what I did say:

- Based on how low we’re picking there won't be many BLUE CHIP prospects left.

While that sounds like a claim, I backed that up with evidence that shows a GENERAL trend. Not the rule or what it is every time, but generally speaking. And that holds true. There’s maybe +/- 10 BLUE chip prospects in a draft and they go early. If you go back to Ballard’s pre and post draft interviews he says the same thing. There’s a handful of blue players in each draft and they go early. I put that in my post where I responded to another poster so perhaps you missed that.

-I agree that trading down wouldn’t be a bad OPTION

I said that trading down wouldn’t be a bad option. This is an opinion. I never presented it as the clear course of action that Ballard or any GM should clearly take. And where are you getting this “Assuming Ballard’s top 21 players are gone”? You’re  confusing rated players on a draft board with blue chip talent which lets me know you either didn’t properly read my post or drew a ridiculous inference from it. I didn’t say there won’t be anyone he likes left. I said there won’t be be many Blue chip players left because Ballard has stated that he’s open to trading unless there’s a blue chip player on the board. He traded down from 3 to 6 because he felt (an these are all his words by the way) he could still get a blue (although I think the word he used was premium) player at 6. He stayed and made a selection at 6 because a blue/premium player was there (Nelson). So it can be ascertained that Ballard is open to trading down when there aren’t blue/premium players on the board. Not necessarily players he likes and has on his board. He traded down the last two drafts which shows that to be true.  There’s a difference between a blue chip player and someone who is simply the next highest rated player on the draft board.

Once again you have accused someone of INSINUATING something based on how you chose to INTERPRET it. Those 2 “I” words are really important. I’ve said before that people shouldn’t always have to explicitly spell everything out and tell you when they’re talking from their point of view and when they’re making a claim to know how others will act for you to be able to understand that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

My friend. Your reading comprehension doesn’t seem to have gotten any better over the months. Let me enlighten you.

As you typically do to multiple posters, you take someone sharing their thoughts and somehow convert it to the person claiming to know what will happen 1st hand and how a person will view something. You need to stop doing that. You’re getting triggered and rushing to the keyboard to “correct” people, which is why you always type out these long paragraph responses while throwing in well disguised shade.

Let me take you through what I said by taking you through what I did not say first.

I did not say:

-Ballard will look at his board and won’t see anyone he likes and will 100% trade down

-All GMs have the prospects rated and graded exactly the same and this is how the draft is every year

Here’s what I did say:

- Based on how low we’re picking there won't be many BLUE CHIP prospects left.

While that sounds like a claim, I backed that up with evidence that shows a GENERAL trend. Not the rule or what it is every time, but generally speaking. And that holds true. There’s maybe +/- 10 BLUE chip prospects in a draft and they go early. If you go back to Ballard’s pre and post draft interviews he says the same thing. There’s a handful of blue players in each draft and they go early. I put that in my post where I responded to another poster so perhaps you missed that.

-I agree that trading down wouldn’t be a bad OPTION

I said that trading down wouldn’t be a bad option. This is an opinion. I never presented it as the clear course of action that Ballard or any GM should clearly take. And where are you getting this “Assuming Ballard’s top 21 players are gone”? You’re  confusing rated players on a draft board with blue chip talent which lets me know you either didn’t properly read my post or drew a ridiculous inference from it. I didn’t say there won’t be anyone he likes left. I said there won’t be be many Blue chip players left because Ballard has stated that he’s open to trading unless there’s a blue chip player on the board. He traded down from 3 to 6 because he felt (an these are all his words by the way) he could still get a blue (although I think the word he used was premium) player at 6. He stayed and made a selection at 6 because a blue/premium player was there (Nelson). So it can be ascertained that Ballard is open to trading down when there aren’t blue/premium players on the board. Not necessarily players he likes and has on his board. He traded down the last two drafts which shows that to be true.  There’s a difference between a blue chip player and someone who is simply the next highest rated player on the draft board.

Once again you have accused someone of INSINUATING something based on how you chose to INTERPRET it. Those 2 “I” words are really important. I’ve said before that people shouldn’t always have to explicitly spell everything out and tell you when they’re talking from their point of view and when they’re making a claim to know how others will act for you to be able to understand that.

You know....   I’m not sure I have any idea what you wasted your time writing....

Because I’m quite confident YOU have  no idea what you just wrote.    Seriously.   I often think that with you and JC.

I never mentioned the word trade.   Not once.    You did.    What I did say is that if we’re picking at 22 the idea that the first 21 guys on Chris Ballard’s board will all be gone is wrong.   That point is valid and remains valid dispite your rant.   If Ballatd wants to trade down I’d be ok with it, though I seriously doubt that’s what he will do.     

And here’s another tip..  the player we take near the top of the 2nd round will almost certainly be on Ballard’s top-32 players on his board. 

Oh...   and I never mentioned the words blue or chip.   Not once.   But you did.   So I’m not confusing them.   All I said is there will be quality players to take when it’s our turn to pick.   

You’re the one who has repeatedly posted in various threads for weeks and months that all the good DL will be gone when it’s our turn to pick.   That’s been your argument for drafting a WR or a LB.    Sound familiar?    You’ve been a broken record on the issue.

Sorry...   but the person with the reading comprehension issue is you, not me.   I often wonder if you know what you’ve written...   this is just the latest example. 

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You know....   I’m not sure I have any idea what you wasted your time writing....

Because I’m quite confident YOU have  no idea what you just wrote.    Seriously.   I often think that with you and JC.

I never mentioned the word trade.   Not once.    You did.    What I did say is that if we’re picking at 22 the idea that the first 21 guys on Chris Ballard’s board will all be gone is wrong.   That point is valid and remains valid dispite your rant.   If Ballatd wants to trade down I’d be ok with it, though I seriously doubt that’s what he will do.     

And here’s another tip..  the player we take near the top of the 2nd round will almost certainly be on Ballard’s top-32 players on his board. 

Oh...   and I never mentioned the words blue or chip.   Not once.   But you did.   So I’m not confusing them.   All I said is there will be quality players to take when it’s our turn to pick.   

You’re the one who has repeatedly posted in various threads for weeks and months that all the good DL will be gone when it’s our turn to pick.   That’s been your argument for drafting a WR or a LB.    Sound familiar?    You’ve been a broken record on the issue.

Sorry...   but the person with the reading comprehension issue is you, not me.   I often wonder if you know what you’ve written...   this is just the latest example. 

I honestly dont even think the best Dlinemen will be gone either we all know teams are gonna overdraft OL and WR like always lol 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What I don’t get is why you feel the need to rush to the keyboard every time and try and expose everyone. Given your age I’m going to assume you’ve ran out of meaningful things to do. You could just ask questions regarding people’s viewpoints and to expand. And example of a better response is “So what are the players you think will be gone and why don’t you think Ballard will like these certain guys at his pick?”.

But no. Instead you do what you usually do and and try and attack people like some sort of board police making it seems like everyone is trying to be a know it all or making outrageous claims, when you’re the one with the issue. If someone says something you don’t like we can all guarantee you’ll be there to tell them why their opinion is wrong and they’re not making sense.

Honestly, you’re going onto the ignore list until you learn (if you ever do) how to not take this board so serious and stop harassing people. Since you keep taking time out to lecture instead of just not responding to posts you don’t agree with, I’m going to let you waste time typing posts that I won’t respond too. Goodbye stalker.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

What I don’t get is why you feel the need to rush to the keyboard every time and try and expose everyone. Given your age I’m going to assume you’ve ran out of meaningful things to do. You could just ask questions regarding people’s viewpoints and to expand. And example of a better response is “So what are the players you think will be gone and why don’t you think Ballard will like these certain guys at his pick?”.

But no. Instead you do what you usually do and and try and attack people like some sort of board police making it seems like everyone is trying to be a know it all or making outrageous claims, when you’re the one with the issue. If someone says something you don’t like we can all guarantee you’ll be there to tell them why their opinion is wrong and they’re not making sense.

Honestly, you’re going onto the ignore list until you learn (if you ever do) how to not take this board so serious and stop harassing people. Since you keep taking time out to lecture instead of just not responding to posts you don’t agree with, I’m going to let you waste time typing posts that I won’t respond too. Goodbye stalker.

“Goodbye stalker”...?????

Really?    Seriously?

Ok....    good luck to you....

JollyShowyAegeancat-size_restricted.gif

So what was the topic again? I wish I knew more about college football and the upcoming players to make an educated guess on who the Colts might take. My best guess would be that we would go DL or WR with the pick from the Jets. Of course that is based on our current needs with no idea how Ballard will address these issues in free agency.

• Like 1