Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2019 Indianapolis Colts schedule

VaAllDay757

We play the AFC west and the NFC south divisions next season.....very tough matchups next season I believe our home games are panthers, raiders, falcons, dolphins (again) and denver of course with our division rivals....away games chargers, chiefs, saints (gonna be a tough one), bucs, and the Steelers (I hate playing them)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

We play the AFC west and the NFC south divisions next season.....very tough matchups next season I believe our home games are panthers, raiders, falcons, dolphins (again) and denver of course with our division rivals....away games chargers, chiefs, saints (gonna be a tough one), bucs, and the Steelers (I hate playing them)

I was just looking this up late last night. I agree its gonna be tough. I would not be surprised if we pick up some FA players that have played with/against those teams 

3 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Who in the schtoink is putting these schedules together?

Geeez man, could they have not made it any harder?

34 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Who in the schtoink is putting these schedules together?

Geeez man, could they have not made it any harder?

There is actually a formula to putting the schedules together in terms of who you are playing and if you are playing at home or away.  

If you know the formula and have the time to look it all up you then you can already know who we are playing next year and if it's at home or away.

Schedule looks tough now but we will see what it is in a year.  I don't think Mahomes is going to have another 50 TD season next year.  A lot of QB's seem to have really big MVP level seasons in their first or 2nd year but after that year the DC's of the league watch the tape of them and find some weaknesses to exploit.  Not saying they will make Mahomes into a failure, that's not very likely.  But I am saying Mahomes will have a hard time resuming this offensive pace next year.

• Like 4

The order of the opponents can make it more manageable.  I came up with this mock schedule for 2019. 

9/8 @ Jax 1pm (CBS)

9/15 MIA 1pm (CBS)

9/22 OAK 1pm (CBS)

9/29 @ Hou 8:20pm (NBC)

10/6 DEN 1pm (CBS)

10/13 @ Ten 1pm (CBS)

10/20 @ Pit 4:25pm (CBS)

10/27 ATL 1pm (FOX)

11/4 @ San Diego 8:20pm (ESPN)

11/10 BYE WEEK

11/17 @ NO 8:20pm (NBC)

11/24 CAR 1pm (FOX)

12/1  @ Tampa Bay 1pm (CBS)

12/5  TEN 8:20pm (NFLN/FOX)

12/15 HOU 1pm (CBS)

12/22 @ KC 4:25pm (CBS) 

12/29 JAX 1pm (CBS)

This would allow us to get off to a decent start, have a tough middle stretch, and a manageable final 6 games.  Houston has it tougher than us as they have to play the Pats and Ravens instead.

If we're fortunate enough to win the SB, then our only decent opening home Thurs kickoff opponent for ratings would probably be the Texans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

There is actually a formula to putting the schedules together in terms of who you are playing and if you are playing at home or away.  

If you know the formula and have the time to look it all up you then you can already know who we are playing next year and if it's at home or away.

Schedule looks tough now but we will see what it is in a year.  I don't think Mahomes is going to have another 50 TD season next year.  A lot of QB's seem to have really big MVP level seasons in their first or 2nd year but after that year the DC's of the league watch the tape of them and find some weaknesses to exploit.  Not saying they will make Mahomes into a failure, that's not very likely.  But I am saying Mahomes will have a hard time resuming this offensive pace next year.

I doubt mahomes throws another 50, but that guy is legit.....like super duper legit lol. Plus, Andy Reid is really good at the whole QB thing.

1 hour ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

The order of the opponents can make it more manageable.  I came up with this mock schedule for 2019. 

9/8 @ Jax 1pm (CBS)

9/15 MIA 1pm (CBS)

9/22 OAK 1pm (CBS)

10/6 DEN 1pm (CBS)

10/13 @ Ten 1pm (CBS)

10/27 ATL 1pm (FOX)

11/10 BYE WEEK

11/24 CAR 1pm (FOX)

12/15 HOU 1pm (CBS)

12/29 JAX 1pm (CBS)

This would allow us to get off to a decent start, have a tough middle stretch, and a manageable final 6 games.  Houston has it tougher than us as they have to play the Pats and Ravens instead.

If we're fortunate enough to win the SB, then our only decent opening home Thurs kickoff opponent for ratings would probably be the Texans.

I think the saints game would be prime time or the chiefs game

Road games in LA, KC, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and Houston is about as hard of a road scheudle you could draw up outside of having to go to New England.  You are talking about four playoff teams on the road including arguably the three best teams in the league this year.  

The key to any good season is to handle your business at home & go .500 on the road.  By handling your business, I mean 8-0 or 7-1.  Could even stretch to 6-2 (like we did this year by giving away Texans game).  That will ensure you of 10-6 record to 12-4 record.  Barring major injuries, I see no reason we can’t do that every year including next year.  

Teams can be very good one year and crap the next. A couple of those teams might not even be very good next year. If we see improvement from this year and can snag two of those games we will be in great shape. But it doesn’t leave any error to lose any home games or lose to a crap team. We will have to win all the games we are supposed to win.

3 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I think the Chargers, Jags, and Bucaneers all have home team in London next year. And we play them all AWAY. So chances are high we play in London, just nice it won’t cost us a home game

Would they play a divisional game in London?

9 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Why break with tradition? London has had some stinker games.

I was at the Colts v Jags a few years ago. Not a great game, but an all time classic compared to this year's road game. In other words, the location is irrelevant regarding the quality of the contest.

Our schedule will be tough but remember that we have an opportunity to really improve our roster through the draft. We will have three picks in the first two rounds. Over $100 million in cap space to resign players we want to keep and add quality FA’s on the market.  We have the opportunity to gain depth at all positions and go after a front line receiver.  

Theses questions still remain for 2019:

1. What do you do with Brissett? Can you shop him for a 1st rounder or a couple 2nd round picks?

2. Do you look for another top tier o-line guy, especially a center? I love Kelly, but he has been an injury nightmare his entire career.

3. Is the secondary a place you want to wait on draft picks to develop, or is it the time to add through free agency? Particularly the safety position. Geathers cannot stay healthy and Hooker is  good player...jury is still out if he will become a great player(only 2 int’s this year for a guy that was hyped as a ball hawking player).

18 hours ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

9/8 @ Jax 1pm (CBS)

9/15 MIA 1pm (CBS)

9/22 OAK 1pm (CBS)

10/6 DEN 1pm (CBS)

10/13 @ Ten 1pm (CBS)

10/27 ATL 1pm (FOX)

11/10 BYE WEEK

11/24 CAR 1pm (FOX)

12/15 HOU 1pm (CBS)

12/29 JAX 1pm (CBS)

This schedule gives us a chance to start out 6-0, no worse than 4-2.

2 hours ago, Punttheball said:

Our schedule will be tough but remember that we have an opportunity to really improve our roster through the draft. We will have three picks in the first two rounds. Over $100 million in cap space to resign players we want to keep and add quality FA’s on the market.  We have the opportunity to gain depth at all positions and go after a front line receiver.  

Theses questions still remain for 2019:

1. What do you do with Brissett? Can you shop him for a 1st rounder or a couple 2nd round picks?

2. Do you look for another top tier o-line guy, especially a center? I love Kelly, but he has been an injury nightmare his entire career.

3. Is the secondary a place you want to wait on draft picks to develop, or is it the time to add through free agency? Particularly the safety position. Geathers cannot stay healthy and Hooker is  good player...jury is still out if he will become a great player(only 2 int’s this year for a guy that was hyped as a ball hawking player).

Hooker  did well from coming off acl injury.  Next year he should revert to form

20 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Brees does it every year.
KC has great weapons, a great system, and a great Coach for Mahomes.
It would say that if he threw for 4700 yds, had 43 tds, that would be the same pace.
 And much more likely than not in the current NFL. 

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

This schedule gives us a chance to start out 6-0, no worse than 4-2.

I was thinking exactly the same looking at that. Would be happy if that was the schedule, once those harder games come around, we would be rolling and our opponents would be fearing us.

• Thanks 1

I know I am being selfish, but I would love the Colts to play in London again. the last time they played there as my first NFL game and would jump at the chance to see them again.

Also, don't you think the fans of next year's opponents will be looking at the schedule thinking, "well after this season, don't fancy playing the Colts the way they have finished the regular season"????

22 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Brees does it every year.
KC has great weapons, a great system, and a great Coach for Mahomes.
It would say that if he threw for 4700 yds, had 43 tds, that would be the same pace.
 And much more likely than not in the current NFL. 

Meh I'd say he's much more likely to hit 4200 and 35 TD's next year and that might be generous.

He's got a good HC but if we compare this to the Eagles last year you can see some things that are going to happen.

Remember Wentz was on an MVP level campaign before he got hurt and the Eagles looked unstoppable.  He came back this year and while he wasn't bad it was much more meh.  He wasn't lighting the league on fire.

Watson was putting up big numbers in the few games he managed to play his rookie year but now, while he again has not been bad, he's not lighting the league on fire.  

What happened?

Well one thing as we know, he lost his OC.  I'm guessing that Mahomes likely loses his OC as well.  A coach who has a first or second year QB putting up huge numbers is a hot commodity in a QB driven league.  Anyone who can make your QB play better is worth his weight in gold.  Especially true if you are trying to break in a first or second year QB.  And there are several teams (Jets, Browns, Cardinals) just off the top of my head that are looking for someone to teach their 2nd year QB how to be a star.  (And if he doesn't lose his OC he might just lose his QB coach)

On top of that there is a full season of tape on him now.  Little things that may have frustrated that QB on one play, which at the time where likely considered a fluke or a one time thing can now be noticed by DC's after it happened several times in a season and exploited.  

Now of Mahomes keeps up that offensive pace or close to it then I would say he's the next Aaron Rodgers are arguably one of the best QB's in the league.  But history shows that most of the time first and second year guys who go out and play at a level that makes them look like the best QB in the league already usually get brought down a peg or 2 the next season.  

• Like 1