Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Mayock New Raiders GM

pacolts56

13 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He studies film, but it is still a tough business.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/nfl-network-s-mike-mayock-not-wowed-by-top-four-quarterbacks-1.18174952

Many/most of fans apparently feel they can do the GM job...  except how would they rate prospects... overall and for their system? Watch Mel Kiper and Todd McShay?

If Grigson had only watched kiper and McShay he would have been better off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Setting aside that it’s the Raiders doing this.... striking is the fact that Mayock has never had a front office job in the NFL.... and the GM position is always filled with guys who have scrapped their way through the scouting and player personnel ranks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Great hire for the Raiders IMO. Best draft analyst on TV, and with 5 first round picks in the next two years, I believe he'll turn the team around. 

49 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Figure head.   Gruden will be calling the shots 

jvan is correct. If he is not a yes man to Gruden he won't last long.

IMO the Raiders will bomb out in the long run.

58 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Figure head.   Gruden will be calling the shots 

THIS!

This would be my fear.    I was hoping Mayock would turn down the job if offered.

If this pick works,  Gruden will get the credit.    But if the pick is a bust,  somehow I'm betting it will be Mayock's fault. 

I hope Mayock knows what he's getting himself into.....     we will soon find out.

• Like 4

I didn't read the article, but I'm assuming Gruden is on board and they explained the roles each would have before Mayock accepted the offer.

Whether those roles are workable in the long run or one goes beyond their previously discussed roles is the unknown.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

THIS!

This would be my fear.    I was hoping Mayock would turn down the job if offered.

If this pick works,  Gruden will get the credit.    But if the pick is a bust,  somehow I'm betting it will be Mayock's fault. 

I hope Mayock knows what he's getting himself into.....     we will soon find out.

Gruden will be the Jerry Jones of the Bay area soon if he does not cash in on those first round picks he earned. 

This hire is mind-blowing to me. Never saw it coming. As far as being a figurehead I don't agree. I see how Mayock gets whenever someone opposes him  or questions any of his mock draftees. I'll be interested in how this turns out. 

Too bad Elway didn't snag him first. At least Gruden knows he sucks at the personnel thing. Elway hasn't reached that point yet.

• Like 1

It was only a matter of time.  I know the Redskins looked at Mayock a while back - don't know whatever happened with that.  It's hard to know if the Raiders are even playing the same game as everyone else.  It certainly seems like they're doing something different just for the sake of being different.

On 12/31/2018 at 4:48 PM, NM_Colts said:

This hire is mind-blowing to me. Never saw it coming. As far as being a figurehead I don't agree. I see how Mayock gets whenever someone opposes him  or questions any of his mock draftees. I'll be interested in how this turns out. 

Too bad Elway didn't snag him first. At least Gruden knows he sucks at the personnel thing. Elway hasn't reached that point yet.

Umm for Elway to do that he would have to fire himself.  

• Haha 1

I always enjoyed Mayock during the NFL draft. Hopefully NFL Network can find a good replacement.

I'm not sure how well it will work in Oakland. It seems Mayock and Gruden are friends but the 10 year/$100 million guy will not take the fall if things go south.

Louis Riddick is likely the next to make the jump from TV to an NFL front office. (assuming that's what he wants to do)

I think Mayock is a great hire. As knowledgeable player evaluator as there is AND that's the skill set that matters most in a NFL GM.

Whether Gruden interferes or how much remains to be seen. But there's a excellent chance the Raiders will turn their envious Draft Resources into a talented roster.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think Mayock is a great hire. As knowledgeable player evaluator as there is AND that's the skill set that matters most in a NFL GM.

Whether Gruden interferes or how much remains to be seen. But there's a excellent chance the Raiders will turn their envious Draft Resources into a talented roster.

I agree, I was looking at a few teams like the Broncos and Jags discuss who Mayock had picked for them in the last 8 drafts in the first round, and he's definitely a solid GM at least in the first round. Not sure how he's going to do outside of that, but the Raiders have 5 first round picks in the next 2 years, so I can see them hitting on 3 or 4 of them if Mayock is completely in charge.

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2018 at 10:48 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

Great hire for the Raiders IMO. Best draft analyst on TV, and with 5 first round picks in the next two years, I believe he'll turn the team around. 

14 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Yes, a different, yet good, choice.  Here's the thing for Mayock.  In his own words-

"Before, if I make a mistake in the draft as an NFL network person, everyone lust kind of laughs and says Mayock's stupid.  If I make that same mistake (now), I'm getting fired over here.  There's some skin in the game. " ...

Make no mistake. He is excited, and nervous, at his new career. And ready to get to it.

14 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

9 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

Think Gruden's gonna listen to Mayock?

He's known Jon and Jay Gruden since some time in the mid 1990's when Jon was coaching (OC?) with the Eagles.  Jon will have final say for the Raiders, but there's no question he'll listen to Mike, and take things into deep consideration.

• Like 1