Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wilkins over Hines in second half

cbear

1 minute ago, chrisfarley said:

Did Wilkins get dinged up on a play?  Several players did and it'll be interesting to see our black-n-blue report.  I know the Titans were hurtin' too.

He did.  Ankle but was back in there shortly after I believe.  In watching the tape, Hines was walking around the field after the game so at least he's OK. 

6 minutes ago, waka waka said:

ball security and pass protection are areas he needs to improve I believe he will make improvements in these areas...but he has the best vision and feet out of all the backs on the roster IMO.

Absolutely, to the bolded. I think Wilkins could be huge in the playoffs.

Mack's vision is questionable at best. He all too often just seems to lower his head and run straight ahead when there are holes and cut back lanes elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, cbear said:

And as usual, he delivered.  Though I'm not sure what happened to Hines.  I don't think he played the entire second half and he was doing well. 

Nothing happened to Hines, he was still playing. They're just finally working Wilkins back in to the game plan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Calmack said:

If Wilkins starts getting more carries I just feel like he'll cough one up when it matters most. I like Mack still. Dudes been just fine so far. 

He was hugging that football tonight.

I don't think he will suddenly start getting a lot of touches...unless they are in a situation where they can't throw as much (like tonight). Otherwise, Mack is the starter and Hines will be used as a pass catcher. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

It was too bad that TD he got where he let Q get out in front of him was called back. That was a thing of beauty. I do really like our stable of RBs and we have them all for the next two years minimum. 

Le'Veon Who?

Agreed, the patience, the burst once he spotted the gap and to hit it so well he could walk into the end zone reminded me a little bit of Arian Foster. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Every RB on this team is good. Macos vision is not bad either. He k ows when to hit the hole without hesitation. Wilki s got plenty of reps when Mack was out. If he were better he would have played better and he didn't. Mack makes the run game better.

People keep saying Mack has poor vision. .. I keep looking for it.

All I see is Mack doing a good job of hitting holes and following blocks well. He is very fast. He runs hard in traffic and often gets good yardage when there's not much room to run. He picks up blitzes very well. He's fast. He's tough.

I like Wilkins and Hines too. The Colts have good running backs for cheap.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, egg said:

All I see is Mack doing a good job of hitting holes and following blocks well. He is very fast. He runs hard in traffic and often gets good yardage when there's not much room to run. He picks up blitzes very well. He's fast. He's tough.

Mack sees just fine.
What do our coaches train him to do?

When you have the kind of run blocking that we have you can pound a D for 4+ yards and set up your pass game. And he has shown some serious toughness lately just following his blocks. Our o-line coach has a nice bunch of pulls to create gaps, Mack is just following the plan. He is turning into a really good back.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, egg said:

Having patience and waiting behind your blockers doesn't mean you have poor vision. he has to let plays develop and more often than not his patience pays off in the form of 10+ yards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

No fault of Wilkins, but it seemed like every time he touched the ball there was a penalty on us. I was starting to get a little irritated.

It was a joke. Glowinski cost us 11 points with two penalties.

4 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Agreed, the patience, the burst once he spotted the gap and to hit it so well he could walk into the end zone reminded me a little bit of Arian Foster. 

He's always reminded me of Arian Foster. I said before the season I think he's our most well rounded back. If he stops fumbling the ball, he'll keep getting reps, I think. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

Not poor vision, just that he misses holes and stutter steps too much.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

He's always reminded me of Arian Foster. I said before the season I think he's our most well rounded back. If he stops fumbling the ball, he'll keep getting reps, 

I had a lot of respect for Foster, great player in his prime and an interesting human to say the least. 

I remember his bow of respect to the Chuckstrong banner when he scored against us in 2012. Small thing but showed class. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Wilkins was running hard and gaining big chunks. Just seems like a much tougher runner than Mack. Which I'm not knocking Mack either. Just saying.

You hit the nail on the head,  He is also a more decisive and natural RB IMO.  I think he's been  receiving excellent coaching so maybe it's paying off as the season progresses.  After yesterday he should see a lot more work.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, egg said:

Agreed. I don't get the critism of Mack.  I think he has good vision and runs hard and fast.  I'm a huge Wilkins fan, but the criticisms here about mack are very unwarranted imo. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

I had a lot of respect for Foster, great player in his prime and an interesting human to say the least. 

I remember his bow of respect to the Chuckstrong banner when he scored against us in 2012. Small thing but showed class. 

I was glad the Browns were finally able to draft him in the first round.  

I just liked that commitment to the running game we showed period.  We kept on stuffing it down their throats and they couldn't do a darn thing to stop it.  That's the type of ball I like to play baby!  And we didn't have to go totally conservative to do it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

I just liked that commitment to the running game we showed period.  We kept on stuffing it down their throats and they couldn't do a darn thing to stop it.  That's the type of ball I like to play baby!  And we didn't have to go totally conservative to do it.

I thought we should have run it on a couple of those third and shorts in the second half. Finally did on the last one...

• Like 2

There are times when Mack still looks to bounce outside when he should just take what’s there.  It happened last night on a 2nd and 6 or so, Mack came through the line and instead of lowering his head and driving forward, he looked to bounce it and got swarmed.  Left us in a 3rd and 2.  Wilkins definitely would have lowered his head and took on the LB & Saftey.  

What you risk there though is getting stood up and the ball ripped out which often happens with Wilkins and any back when you do fight for those extra yards.  I like all 3 of our backs.  I think a guy like Bell would be unstoppable with our O-Line, I just don’t know if I could justify paying him when we have 3 solid guys with diverse skill sets on rookie deals...

8 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

There are times when Mack still looks to bounce outside when he should just take what’s there.  It happened last night on a 2nd and 6 or so, Mack came through the line and instead of lowering his head and driving forward, he looked to bounce it and got swarmed.  Left us in a 3rd and 2.  Wilkins definitely would have lowered his head and took on the LB & Saftey.  

What you risk there though is getting stood up and the ball ripped out which often happens with Wilkins and any back when you do fight for those extra yards.  I like all 3 of our backs.  I think a guy like Bell would be unstoppable with our O-Line, I just don’t know if I could justify paying him when we have 3 solid guys with diverse skill sets on rookie deals...

You're right Mack still has that problem. Wilkens is the stronger runner.  You're also right about Bell.  He would be unstoppable.  Don't worry about the money.  Just pay him and enjoy the results.