Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nelson will make 1st team All Pro

dw49

Just now, Robert Johnson said:

… and yet some were mad when we selected a guard with the 6th pick in the draft

I think most of the knowledgable fans were on board with Nelson.. Although there was a group that did feel there is some written rule that you don't take a guard with a top 10 pick. That is really stupid after you saw Jacksonville pay 14 mill per year for a player not nearly as good ? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ok, let’s say some how by miracle they cloned him and we could pick him and have two Nelson’s next year but had to use our #1 to get him would you guys be ok doing it and neglect our other needs?  Just curious. Normally it wouldn’t even be thinkable but man having two of him would be like a cheat code. You could just run it every down and pick up 4 or 5 and just do that the whole game lol. 

10 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

ok, let’s say some how by miracle they cloned him and we could pick him and have two Nelson’s next year but had to use our #1 to get him would you guys be ok doing it and neglect our other needs?  Just curious. Normally it wouldn’t even be thinkable but man having two of him would be like a cheat code. You could just run it every down and pick up 4 or 5 and just do that the whole game lol. 

Absolutely would......  we have 2 2nd round picks, one which is a top 3 pick, so yes, take the hypothetical Nelson clone, and go get 2 more impact D players then draft for depth nd sign a few WR's

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

Yes, absolutely.  

4 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

Colts did that last year, yielding Braden Smith. Too bad that we needed a Tackle at the time, and had to use Braden there.  I’d stick with what CB has built, and fix another position.

7 hours ago, Robert Johnson said:

… and yet some were mad when we selected a guard with the 6th pick in the draft

A great player is a great player and improves your roster regardless of position.  Hopefully we can all put this nonsense to bed now.  If the Colts feel the best player they will have available in this upcoming draft is an OT or CB or a S or a DT or DE or whatever, I'm good with it.  In Ballard I trust, and you CANNOT have enough good players on your team.

4 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Absolutely would......  we have 2 2nd round picks, one which is a top 3 pick, so yes, take the hypothetical Nelson clone, and go get 2 more impact D players then draft for depth nd sign a few WR's

The fact people like us and I would dang near say it’s the majority of colts fans believe this shows that it was totally 100% the correct decision to draft him when we did. I had no idea he would be this good but he has really made a difference and the scariest part guys .......he’s only going to get bigger, stronger , smarter and better. If we draft next year like we did this year forget a super bowl,  I’m thinking dynasty!!  Yah I said it!

Seeing Nelson stop Luck during the pick six was level-headed thinking and beyond his years wise. Luck looked like he was going to go in to traffic to prevent the touchdown, and Quenton was just like "let them have their fun, they have to face us again in two minutes!" 

The connection and maturity these guys have is really showing now. 

• Like 1

Nelson made so many plays yesterday and to recall a few, he pancaked people like usual, he took two guys out of one play, and he tackled Brown on the fumble play by Mack which could have been another 6 points. Man, what a football player he is

And just in case you don’t have Twitter!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

If we had the #3 or #6 overall again I would say no, time to focus on the defense.  We probably have a top 10 OL now with all our starters healthy.  

However we're going to be picking late in the first round due to having made the playoffs.  If we lose next week we will be at 22 I believe.  And we will be later if we win.

I would absolutely take another Nelson at 22.

Big Q is more than just a great player. He’s a transformational player.  His physicality, aggressiveness, effort, and just being a great teammate is on another level.  Put those traits with a solid veteran in AC & an intelligent highly skilled center in Kelly and you’ve got the foundation for a dominant O-Line.  It’s clear his traits have rubbed off on the others.  They all want to pancake and maul guys. It’s beautiful. 

I had no idea he would be this good.  The same goes for Leonard.  His effort and energy is infectious. With a “no loaf” system emphasized by our DC, it helps when your best player brings it on every play.  I’ll say it again, Ballard hit a grand slam this past draft.  How many times do you land 2 transformational players in one draft???  My goodness does our future look bright.  So bright that I like our chances this year.  

Imagine how unstoppable our young hungry studs will be if they get a taste of ultimate success this season??  Because they’re only gonna get better...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wasn't against the Q pick at all, even at 3 (but even better at 6!). I always felt he would be our Steve Hutchinson.  He might not only be that, he might be better!  Like a (very) few felt Leonard would be our Derrick Brooks.  Polian says he will be better when it is all said and done. At this point, Ballard has hit 2 Grand Slam home runs.

27 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

If we had the #3 or #6 overall again I would say no, time to focus on the defense.  We probably have a top 10 OL now with all our starters healthy.  

However we're going to be picking late in the first round due to having made the playoffs.  If we lose next week we will be at 22 I believe.  And we will be later if we win.

I would absolutely take another Nelson at 22.

Lineman like Nelson come along once in a decade or two. There probably isn't a Nelson clone in next year's draft.

42 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm aware, the question was theoretical and I gave a theoretical answer.  

I skimmed through the thread and did not realize it was a theoretical question. It would be a no brainer to draft a guard as good as Nelson at 22 ?

I was a critic of taking Nelson at #6 instead of accepting the rumored Buffalo trade offer.  In hindsight, I would still take the offer, but I'm glad that Nelson is playing well.  Of course, the goal is to win the superbowl, not to have an all-pro G, so if getting a very good Olineman to pair with Smith and then getting maybe two good Corners in the second round to pair with Leonard, that may have gotten us incrementally closer to the SB than to have one all-pro G.

But we'll never know, and I'm happy to see the Colts doing well with Nelson.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Of course, the goal is to win the superbowl, not to have an all-pro G, so if getting a very good Olineman to pair with Smith, and then have gotten maybe two good Corners in the second round to pair with Leonard, that may have gotten us incrementally closer to the SB than to have one all-pro G.

With the current defensive scheme we're using, protecting Luck with an All-Pro G is more valuable than the two corners being incrementally better than Desir/Wilson/Moore.

Nelson All Day.  He has single-handedly made this arguably the best OLine in football.

That man is worth his weight in gold.  And that's a lotta gold!

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

With the current defensive scheme we're using, protecting Luck with an All-Pro G is more valuable than the two corners being incrementally better than Desir/Wilson/Moore.

Nelson All Day.  He has single-handedly made this arguably the best OLine in football.

That man is worth his weight in gold.  And that's a lotta gold!

giphy.gif

We'll never know. 

You can argue that the Oline drops off when either AC or Kelly is missing.  We haven't seen the impact of Nelson being absent.  Remember, the offer was for Buffalo's #12 pick so Nelson would have been replaced by a 1st round G, which would have improved the play of the oline corps.  

Upgrades to one of the corners or one of the WRs may have improved the play for two other corps as well.  We were in a good spot to improve the team either way.  Again, the goal is not to have an all pro G.  They don't spot teams more points for that, but its nice to have one for a change.

On 12/31/2018 at 10:42 AM, ColtsBlitz said:

Nelson made so many plays yesterday and to recall a few, he pancaked people like usual, he took two guys out of one play, and he tackled Brown on the fumble play by Mack which could have been another 6 points. Man, what a football player he is

And just in case you don’t have Twitter!

Baldinger is crazy.  Those are so good!

• Like 1