Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It Was Idiotic Not To Trade The Pick.

KyFan18

all water under the bridge now, I have faith in whats happenng, all those that were released were overpaid, couldnt start on most other teams in this league, Bullit, Addai, should I waste words saying Painter? with that said, with a rebuild usually comes some tough years but I have faith (yes blind I know at this point) but I am a colts fan and a football fan, put your faith in players isnt smart cause they follow the money, why do you all think were not getting any straight answers from anyone, player or staff, My thinking is obviously as great as Peyton was even he was overpaid I think its pretty obious other players were, we have a capable player in Tamme from what he has shown, I believe him to be a weapon, NOT a Gronkowski type star but a solid player and younger, NO MORE UNDERSIZED D-LINEMEN, I think I speak for the majority of colts fans when I say that, but I think our offensive line is going to be alright, that took alot of rearranging cause of injuries last year, If Diem goes were gonna have to draft someone to replace him, who knows maybe pick someone up in free agency, WHEN and probabl not IF reggie wayne goes were going to have to find a number one Wide Receiver, and with the new defensive philosophy of ATTACK instead of BEND UNTIL YOU BREAK it will take a few years to get it right with putting players in the right position to do that, with that said, Bracket was more of hang back in cover 2 kind guy he wasnt always one of the in your face guys, did he make plays for us? YES but was at best a solid back up on probably EVERY other team in the league, Id like the idea of a physical running game if we went in that direction, and have Brown be the back up ( hes only good in space), Bullit is a back up on most teams, hes undersized, we need a big heavy hitter back their we need players on defense that can BRING ON THE PAIN when it comes to hitting, accidently hit enter button, LOL, I wont say I trust Grigson right off, because blinde trust is foolish but, just a wait and see and enjoy the game for what it is, Im a Colts fan not any particular player fan, to put our faith and trust in a player is truly blinde . BUT who didnt enjoy watching Angerer out their, Id like to see our linebackers do some blitzing AND FOR GOD SAKES have the corners play closer to wide receivers then 8-10-12 yards, Ill be a Colts fan through thick and thin. I actually see this as a positive taking into account ages of players let go, and ACTUAL talent and not PERCIEVED talent yes Im talking of ADDAI and Bullit, anyway, Colts fan till the end here, Like if you want OR are capable

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rams got a king's ransom for the second pick. (Three firsts and a second). Think of what the Colts could have gotten for the first pick. Wouldn't be easier to rebuild with 5 first round picks and 4 second round picks in the next three years? Trust me, Andrew Luck will not be the last great QB to play football.

Drafting Luck was the only thing to do with this pick. Trading would have been the worst business move in the history of the NFL.

Rams got a king's ransom for the second pick. (Three firsts and a second). Think of what the Colts could have gotten for the first pick. Wouldn't be easier to rebuild with 5 first round picks and 4 second round picks in the next three years? Trust me, Andrew Luck will not be the last great QB to play football.

The value of a franchise QB is virtually incalculable. If RG3 turns out to be what the Skins think he will be, they paid a very worthwhile price. Same for Colts - if Luck turns out to be what he is expected to be, there was no way the Colts would get equal value back for that pick. So it literally makes no sense to have that pick and pass on it. None.

I been saying this for months and get flamed everytime I say it.

Grigson is a bad GM. I can't stand him. I also hate Irsay with a passion. I hope they get exposed for these sins.

what a dumb statement to make about a GM that's been on the job for a couple of months and not even held a draft, signed a FA or had "his" team play a game.

You hate him because Manning was let go, and that wasn't even his call.

You don't pass on the best QB prospect in years...you never know when you will get another chance. RG3 will not be AL1 in my opinion....not even close. We really don't want to be one of those teams pining for a QB for the next however many years. We have already been there......a lot of people on here are simply to young to remember.

You sir, are 100% correct. In response to MLaw. A 1st rounder in 2014 would help Peyton and the Colts in 2014 as the 2012 and 2013 picks have matured.

Drafting Luck was the only thing to do with this pick. Trading would have been the worst business move in the history of the NFL.

Not the worst. Ditka owns that honor with his Ricky Williams deal.

I wanted Manning to stay, but even if he did stay I wanted us to use that pick on Luck. Hopefully our new leadership will build the team around Luck instead of underneath him like we did with Manning.

My issues here are if Irsay keeps cleaning house who is Luck going to throw to?

Sounds like to me the cuts keep coming Clark, more than likely Wayne, Garcon didn't resign, the list is getting bigger. Who is still left that is worth mentioning? Collie, Gonzalez, White, ?

Keep in mind it was the Redskins, so the only way the Colts get a trade like this is if they trade to the Redskins.

Luck is going to be a solid QB for years to come and he will be a great QB, we can't pass up on that.

Keep in mind it was the Redskins, so the only way the Colts get a trade like this is if they trade to the Redskins.

Luck is going to be a solid QB for years to come and he will be a great QB, we can't pass up on that.

On the crazy meter jerry jones does not fall too far behind Snyder. Just look at what he gave up to get roy williams

It also would have been nice if Peyton would have taken a "discount" ... But... the Alpha male is always the Alpha male.

He might be the last great one we can draft. The Skins must feel the same or they would not have given up the kings's ransom. The Rams already have their QB of the future.

It would be more *ic to trade the pick and find that PM still can't go come September.

I think PM will have a hard time getting a team to sign him and pay him without subjecting him to pass the team physical.

Of course Peyton will have to pass the team physical...he wouldn't be allowed to play without doing so. Without passing a physical he will never make the field because he would be uninsurable. He already has passed his own doctors physical who is an expert with his injury. So why do you think he couldn't pass another teams physical?

Of course Peyton will have to pass the team physical...he wouldn't be allowed to play without doing so. Without passing a physical he will never make the field because he would be uninsurable. He already has passed his own doctors physical who is an expert with his injury. So why do you think he couldn't pass another teams physical?

I have no doubt that PM can pass a physical that simply focuses on his ability to take a NFL hit.

I have plenty of doubt that PM can throw the ball at a high level necessary for an elite franchise QB.

Given the articles provided in this OP of this thread: http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/6098-dont-be-too-upset-with-irsay-manning-is-still-not-healthy/

http://profootballta...-still-far-off/

http://sports.yahoo....ouraging_030912

I think there are NFL teams looking at PM now that probably will require due diligence and have their people observe PM workout.

Well you said pass a physical. I apologize. No doubt everyone will work him out. I love what Luck has the potential to be...but I also have seen what is inside of Peyton and I have just as much confidence in him returning to Top 5 status in the league. This is a guy that has more determination and more skill and drive than anyone I have ever witnessed. He has never been the most physically gifted qb in the league. Any drop off in his physical attributes will be offset by his ability to adapt, continue to read defenses, be prepared, and through pure repetition be able to get the ball where it needs to be. He wins games in his head long before he ever steps on the field. This won't change and is one reason why he will continue to be successful even into his 40s if he so chooses to play. It really doesn't matter if he never gets to 100% physically...he hasn't been at 100% for the last 3 years...which was why he had the surgery. Point is he wins by preparation and by knowing where the ball needs to go..not a laser arm. That is what other teams understand as well and why they will sign him even if he isn't 100%. Like many have said..his 80% is better than most 100%. His intangibles can't be determined by a doctor or by only simply watching him throw. His magic is in his head.

I been saying this for months and get flamed everytime I say it.

Grigson is a bad GM. I can't stand him. I also hate Irsay with a passion. I hope they get exposed for these sins.

I am not sure what is worse - this post or the fact that you got thanked for it.

Actually, Washington only gave up or lost 2 future 1st rounders and a current year 2nd round pick. They didn't lose this years 1st round pick they simply swapped it. For RG3, that's pretty good. Had they waited till Manning signed next week, it would have cost a lot more.

There is no longer any choice to be made with the #1 overall pick. That debate is over.

Actually, Washington only gave up or lost 2 future 1st rounders and a current year 2nd round pick. They didn't lose this years 1st round pick they simply swapped it. For RG3, that's pretty good. Had they waited till Manning signed next week, it would have cost a lot more.

There is no longer any choice to be made with the #1 overall pick. That debate is over.

^ This.

Why is the media and everyone think it's three first rounders? It's not, they swap this years first rounder....big deal.

no player is worth 3 1st round draft picks. RG3 has to become the best qb in the history of the nfl for this trade to be win-win. once again the redskins will be bottom feeders in the east.

Well, some teams rely on free agency more than others. If I remember correctly, the Redskins are a team that uses free agency to fill their team needs. If you have cap space, then you can use free agency instead of just the draft too improve you team. That's something the Cleveland Browns could do if they trade for the #1 pick. They would have to give up a lot of high draft picks, but they have the cap space to sign some quality free agents to help make their team better.

what if luck turns out to be a manning or elway or some mixure in between? We would look like fools to trade that pick. What if he really is a future hall of famer and wins us 2 Super Bowls let's say in 4 years. We can watch him mature as an NFL QB just like we

did with Manning. It was a fun 14 year ride.

I really feel everyone's opinion may change when they compare RG3's arm strength to Luck's during each other's pro day. I don't think Luck is as good as the overwhelming hype. Trade the pick. The Ravens won the Super Bowl with Dilfer. The Colts should not repeat the same mistake of building the team around one player as they did with Peyton. If the Colts had even a decent defense for the last 14 years, they would have several Super Bowls. Trading the pick will give the Colts an opportunity to have some balance. I canot imagine now how we will fill so many holes. Luck's arm strength is average, and anyway, there is no way to predict how any college player will make the transition to the NFL. Trade the pick. Get some balance. If they don't trade the pick, unlike Luck, RG3 has the arm strength to prevent NFL DBs from disastrous interceptions.

You mean not draft Andrew Luck? I mean do those words even make sense? /sarcasm

I agree, we could have drafted someone else. We don't need to have the "greatest prospect ever" to be successful.

Ya know what, you nailed it. Perfectly said!!!

I really feel everyone's opinion may change when they compare RG3's arm strength to Luck's during each other's pro day. I don't think Luck is as good as the overwhelming hype. Trade the pick. The Ravens won the Super Bowl with Dilfer. The Colts should not repeat the same mistake of building the team around one player as they did with Peyton. If the Colts had even a decent defense for the last 14 years, they would have several Super Bowls. Trading the pick will give the Colts an opportunity to have some balance. I canot imagine now how we will fill so many holes. Luck's arm strength is average, and anyway, there is no way to predict how any college player will make the transition to the NFL. Trade the pick. Get some balance. If they don't trade the pick, unlike Luck, RG3 has the arm strength to prevent NFL DBs from disastrous interceptions.

The Colts didnt build squat aroud PM. The team just plain sucked without him. We had leads this year and the D blew it. It wasnt designed for a lead, it was designed to lose. PM made every reciever look like randy moss in his prime too.

Man I have been saying that from day one. The Colts could have kept Manning and rebuilt this team so much faster.

Man I have been saying that from day one. The Colts could have kept Manning and rebuilt this team so much faster.

Agree. There is no historical pattern to equate college success hype with NFL success and guarantee it. By trading the pick for many picks and building a youthful balanced foundation, the Colts have the best chance. Dolphins are still looking for the next Marino. Broncos are still looking for the next Elway. There will never be another Peyton. Build some balance by tradng the first pick.

It's funny how people think that Luck is going to come in here and win us a Super Bowl in 4 years. Open your eye's he has no weapons to throw too. There are no pieces in place to build on. This team is in shambles. If everyone just closed there eyes for a minute and tried to remember what happens to QB's with potential when they have no supporting cast, they would think of David Carr.

I still can't believe there are posters that believe Manning is not healthy enough to play again. My gosh, Tom Moore was there at Duke for the five days Manning was throwing. We all seen the video, insiders have spoken to Tom and he has said Manning is ready, sign him. What else do you want to believe. Manning for 3 to 4 more years could have given us a chance and I honestly believe he would have renegociated the contract but Irsay never went that far. We could have managed this rebuild a lot better than just cleaning house and tring to just start over. I'm sure it makes organizational since to the Colts but the fanbase isn't as friendly when you ask them to pay money to watch a subpar product. Our economy isn't that good fokes and people would much rather stay home and pay for the NFL ticket at a much lesser price than a $1000 plus dollars to go watch it live.

Sure we could have traded the pick for a kings ransom....roll the dice on QB thats left on the board? After picks 1 & 2 the rest of the QB's left may or may not be good. The Rams already have a young, good QB for the future. The Colts don't.

No, "roll the dice" with Peyton Manning, obviously, if you trade the pick.

Sorry you are absolutely bonkers if you think the Colts would get 5 first round picks and 4 second round picks. That is ridiculous.

I seriously dont get the Andrew Luck hate by a big part of this forum.

2 super bowls in his first four years? Thats not what you mean right? That is a bit high on the expectation meter.

Yes that would still be a great pick. Making it to four straight super bowls is a phenomenal accomplishment. Its crazy the crap the Bills get for that, Kelly is an excellent QB and that team was great.

If we got the same deal from the Skins that the Rams got, our next three drafts would be:

2012: Redskins 1st, Colts 2nd, Redskins 2nd

2013: Colts 1st, Redskins 1st, Colts 2nd

2014: Colts 1st, Redskins 1st, Colts 2nd

By my count, that's five first rounders and four second rounders in three years.

And when that rebuilt team is ready to compete again, they would be doing so with a 38 year-old QB with uncertain health. Yeah - nothing wrong with that plan.