Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It Was Idiotic Not To Trade The Pick.

KyFan18

Rams got a king's ransom for the second pick. (Three firsts and a second). Think of what the Colts could have gotten for the first pick. Wouldn't be easier to rebuild with 5 first round picks and 4 second round picks in the next three years? Trust me, Andrew Luck will not be the last great QB to play football.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is moot now, we need someone to replace Peyton Manning so might as well roll the dice this year.

Dump all the veteran talent on the team, draft replacements, buy free agents and get back to the playoffs at some vague point in the future. Sounds great, hope Luck doesn't suck.

what if luck turns out to be a manning or elway or some mixure in between? We would look like fools to trade that pick. What if he really is a future hall of famer and wins us 2 Super Bowls let's say in 4 years. We can watch him mature as an NFL QB just like we

did with Manning. It was a fun 14 year ride.

what if luck turns out to be a manning or elway or some mixure in between? We would look like fools to trade that pick. What if he really is a future hall of famer and wins us 2 Super Bowls let's say in 4 years. We can watch him mature as an NFL QB just like we

Or he could be like JIm Kelly of the Bills of the 80s and get the team to the SB and lose not once but 4 times. Would be a good pick huh.

If both sides turn out well, then it works out well for both teams. If Andrew Luck becomes an elite quarterback, great. If our draft picks turn out, that is great as well! We would benefit more if both sides of the deal turn out equally because those new draft picks can play over the next few years with Peyton Manning while Andrew Luck can't.

Or he could be like JIm Kelly of the Bills of the 80s and get the team to the SB and lose not once but 4 times. Would be a good pick huh.

Jim Kelly was a great QB so I have no idea where you are coming from with this post. 4 Super Bowls !!!! His kicker was responsible for one of their losses and he got injured before they even made it to one Super Bowl and Frank Reich started. I watched Jim Kelly kill the Colts every year when we were in their division (AFC East), we would be fortunate if Mr. Luck was as good as Jim Kelly.

Yes. Jim Kelly is a HOF quarterback. Setting aside the Super Bowl losses, he had a great career. And even with the Super Bowl losses, his career looked a lot like John Elway's. Not quite as prolific, and a bit shorter, but Elway was 0-3 in the Super Bowl until he was 37 years old, with two really bad performances, and a couple other really ugly playoff losses. Get Jim Kelly over to the NFL a couple years earlier, and give him a loaded team in his later years, and we're probably thinking of him and Elway as synonymous.

Rams got a king's ransom for the second pick. (Three firsts and a second). Think of what the Colts could have gotten for the first pick. Wouldn't be easier to rebuild with 5 first round picks and 4 second round picks in the next three years? Trust me, Andrew Luck will not be the last great QB to play football.

What the Rams got in compensation is what most had suspected the 1st/2nd pick was going to be worth. Whether you agree or disagree with the decision(drafting Luck v. trading the pick) do you seriously need the rationale behind why the decision was made explained to you again? REALLY?? If so there are about 100 posts discussing the pros and cons of either decision.

I think if you asked all Colts fans 3 months ago if they would trade the pick for what the Rams got and roll the dice with Manning and friends for another 3 years OR if they would completely clean house and draft Luck - then I am quite confident 95% would have gone with the first option.

I think if you asked all Colts fans 3 months ago if they would trade the pick for what the Rams got and roll the dice with Manning and friends for another 3 years OR if they would completely clean house and draft Luck - then I am quite confident 95% would have gone with the first option.

I disagree ... even 3 months ago people were arguing about it, and many of the scenarios had the Colts getting more than the Rams received ... most were talking 2 - 1st round picks this year(cleveland, etc), a 1st in 2013 + various lower picks. The 1st round picks the Rams received are spread over 3 years making the actual compensation worth less (according to the standard NFL trade philosophy of future picks not having equivelent value of current picks) then what was being discussed on here, and even than there were plenty of people who did not want to trade the pick.

And what would the Colts have then? They would have a 36 year old QB. One whose neck is damaged. Recovery was only a remote possibility. I predict he'll never be great again. And his sad, final days won't be at Lucas Oil. Be thankful for that!

Edited by 21isSuperman

They wouldn't have heard you asking they were too busy yelling suck for luck well they got it...

That's just a crazy amount to give up....especially to move up 6 spots.

Snyder is an *.

I agree. Talk about handicapping your team for the next 3 years while you bring this QB in. I could see it maybe....maybe...if your team had a solid roster in place. The Redskins have holes. How do they plan on filling them now? They don't have a history of finding solid mid-round selections.

Sure we could have traded the pick for a kings ransom....roll the dice on QB thats left on the board? After picks 1 & 2 the rest of the QB's left may or may not be good. The Rams already have a young, good QB for the future. The Colts don't.

And what would the Colts have then? They would have a 36 year old QB. One whose neck is damaged. The size of the melon that neck supports makes a full recovery unlikely. Manning's neck should have been incredibly strong, with the cranium it supported. When it failed, recovery was only a remote possibility. I predict he'll never be great again. And his sad, final days won't be at Lucas Oil. Be thankful for that!

Let's see what you say in a few months when Manning is nearly 100%. Won't ever be great again? Peyton at 80% is great!

I been saying this for months and get flamed everytime I say it.

Grigson is a bad GM. I can't stand him. I also hate Irsay with a passion. I hope they get exposed for these sins.

Preaching to the choir brother!

A comparatively small choir.

It was a very small choir when I said last summer that Polian and Caldwell would be fired.

It was a very small choir when I asked last summerif the Colts would rest their starters if they start 0-14. I missed by one game.

It was a very small choir when I said last summer that the Colts would completely collapse without Manning. They did.

So I will take my chances being a part of a small choir.

It was a very small choir when I said last summer that Polian and Caldwell would be fired.

It was a very small choir when I asked last summerif the Colts would rest their starters if they start 0-14. I missed by one game.

It was a very small choir when I said last summer that the Colts would completely collapse without Manning. They did.

So I will take my chances being a part of a small choir.

I have no basis to believe or not believe yor claims. However, to your second point, what starters did they "rest" after they started 0-14? Given the lack of talent and depth on the team I do not think that your third point was any great prognostication nor was it in a great minority.

Sorry you are absolutely bonkers if you think the Colts would get 5 first round picks and 4 second round picks. That is ridiculous.

I seriously dont get the Andrew Luck hate by a big part of this forum.

2 super bowls in his first four years? Thats not what you mean right? That is a bit high on the expectation meter.

Yes that would still be a great pick. Making it to four straight super bowls is a phenomenal accomplishment. Its crazy the crap the Bills get for that, Kelly is an excellent QB and that team was great.

I been saying this for months and get flamed everytime I say it.

Grigson is a bad GM. I can't stand him. I also hate Irsay with a passion. I hope they get exposed for these sins.

Yeah yeah yeah..... go ahead and have your opinion but if by some stroke of the unknown they traded the #1 pick tomorrow you'd probably hail Grigson as the best General Manager since Moses.

Well you can look at it this way, with all the house cleaning were doing we will probably be in the Rams shoes next year. We will hopefully have a good young QB and the number 1 or 2 pick in the draft to trade for more picks.

That's an excellent observation and great long-term perspective. A couple lean years are just part of rebuilding.

Nice opening post... welcome to the Forum. :thmup:

Yeah yeah yeah..... go ahead and have your opinion but if by some stroke of the unknown they traded the #1 pick tomorrow you'd probably hail Grigson as the best General Manager since Moses.

are you kidding me? the #1 pick is the only good thing we have left on this stupid team.

we should have traded the pick and kept Manning. Surrounded him with some young talent and we would have kept winning.

Now since all that fell through and we cut the best players on the team. The only positive thing we have on this team is Andrew Luck.

While Peyton is gonna be winning more SB's and MVP's, we are gonna be 3-4 years of losing and the so called "rebuilding".

What if Grigson plan fails? what if we will spend the next decade losing?

Man I hate Irsay and Grigson. We should have kept what we had and kept being a playoff team that had a chance at SB every year.

get ready for heck this entire decade. good luck.

all water under the bridge now, I have faith in whats happenng, all those that were released were overpaid, couldnt start on most other teams in this league, Bullit, Addai, should I waste words saying Painter? with that said, with a rebuild usually comes some tough years but I have faith (yes blind I know at this point) but I am a colts fan and a football fan, put your faith in players isnt smart cause they follow the money, why do you all think were not getting any straight answers from anyone, player or staff, My thinking is obviously as great as Peyton was even he was overpaid I think its pretty obious other players were, we have a capable player in Tamme from what he has shown, I believe him to be a weapon, NOT a Gronkowski type star but a solid player and younger, NO MORE UNDERSIZED D-LINEMEN, I think I speak for the majority of colts fans when I say that, but I think our offensive line is going to be alright, that took alot of rearranging cause of injuries last year, If Diem goes were gonna have to draft someone to replace him, who knows maybe pick someone up in free agency, WHEN and probabl not IF reggie wayne goes were going to have to find a number one Wide Receiver, and with the new defensive philosophy of ATTACK instead of BEND UNTIL YOU BREAK it will take a few years to get it right with putting players in the right position to do that, with that said, Bracket was more of hang back in cover 2 kind guy he wasnt always one of the in your face guys, did he make plays for us? YES but was at best a solid back up on probably EVERY other team in the league, Id like the idea of a physical running game if we went in that direction, and have Brown be the back up ( hes only good in space), Bullit is a back up on most teams, hes undersized, we need a big heavy hitter back their we need players on defense that can BRING ON THE PAIN when it comes to hitting,

are you kidding me? the #1 pick is the only good thing we have left on this stupid team.

we should have traded the pick and kept Manning. Surrounded him with some young talent and we would have kept winning.

Now since all that fell through and we cut the best players on the team. The only positive thing we have on this team is Andrew Luck.

While Peyton is gonna be winning more SB's and MVP's, we are gonna be 3-4 years of losing and the so called "rebuilding".

What if Grigson plan fails? what if we will spend the next decade losing?

Man I hate Irsay and Grigson. We should have kept what we had and kept being a playoff team that had a chance at SB every year.

get ready for heck this entire decade. good luck.

Cmon 28.... quit hating and open your eyes.

"What if" Peyton didn't fully recover? We can what if this to death.

Let's pretend for a minute that we kept Peyton and paid him the 28M bonus.

That would immediately take us out of ANY serious free agent path to addressing our weaknesses at CB/OG/SS/DT.

Not only that but how would we have paid Mathis, Wayne, Garcon and our other Free Agents? How??? We couldn't even keep them all now if we wanted to.

So after that..... we trade down and draft 6 of your favorite prospects. How long does it take to develop them into REAL contributors with all of our holes?

We had 2 choices.... do what you wanted WITHOUT guarantees regarding Peyton's health but a monster cap hit for 4 years OR blow it up and rebuild with a ton of cap space and probably a nice draft pick again next year.

We all miss Peyton but the right move was made.

Too late to be playing "what-ifs". The pressure is on Luck. He is not only replacing Manning, but essentially Manning was dumped to make room for him and we passed on a multiplicity of high end draft picks.

This is truly a situation in which we can fairly say "He better be worth it"!