Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deon Cain

Scott Pennock

41 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think it's funny that people who don't want to expect much from Cain are also the ones saying draft a WR.  Would not all the negatives (except coming off an injury) that apply to Cain also apply to a draft pick?

I do remember last year when fans were convinced that Colts needed to draft 2 or 3 CBs because the Colts did not sign their best cornerback (Melvin) and the CBs left on the team Desir, Moore and Hairston would not make the 53 man roster of any other NFL team and Q. Wilson was a bust.

Based on the information available to us fans, I would draft a WR with one of the Colts 1st three picks.  But I will not be disappointed if CB and team have a different idea.

I don't think it's funny to want increased talent and competition at a position that most would agree is the weak point of the offense. And no, I would disagree that a receiver picked with one of our first four picks because we would then be dealing with a much higher prospect. 

However, my point about Cain catching 80 passes next year is valid, because if he does come in and become the #2 receiver, there are still concerns in the receiving corps. Ryan Grant and Dontrelle Inman are unrestricted free agents. Chester Rogers is a restricted free agent. Zach Pascal and Marcus Johnson are exclusive restricted free agents. The only receivers under contract for next year are TY Hilton, Cain, Daurice Fountain, and James Wright...and only one of them caught passes in the regular season for the Colts this year. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ColtV said:

I don't think it's funny to want increased talent and competition at a position that most would agree is the weak point of the offense. And no, I would disagree that a receiver picked with one of our first four picks because we would then be dealing with a much higher prospect. 

However, my point about Cain catching 80 passes next year is valid, because if he does come in and become the #2 receiver, there are still concerns in the receiving corps. Ryan Grant and Dontrelle Inman are unrestricted free agents. Chester Rogers is a restricted free agent. Zach Pascal and Marcus Johnson are exclusive restricted free agents. The only receivers under contract for next year are TY Hilton, Cain, Daurice Fountain, and James Wright...and only one of them caught passes in the regular season for the Colts this year. 

And Ishmael.

On 12/28/2018 at 10:42 AM, John Waylon said:

For the love of god. 

Stick with me here. Please.  

The stats are were simply to show that Carter wasn’t just some warm camp body that was here for no reason. They believed he could contribute. 

Just like they feel about Cain. 

The overall point still remains the exact same: (This is the important part. Buckle up and hang on.) 

Placing any kind of faith in Cain is a blind gamble. He’s shown nothing in a game setting. Just like Carter. They both got all kinds of hype and rave reviews in workouts and camps. None of that ever translated into any kind of meaningful production in a game setting. (And before you say it, YES. Cain has been injured. Which means... he still hasn’t shown anything in a game setting.)

You love Cain. 

Super. Stellar. Absolutely magically wonderful. 

He still hasnt actually proven he can be relied on to contribute. Why is this so hard to understand?

I don't think you have listened to the coaches thoughts on the attributes that they have WITNESSED from Cain day after day. It isn't MAGIC it is football.
 And Cain has shown them he get's it. 
And he will be ready to contribute some, next season. 
 If you know football, have watched how this offense gets people open and a QB with time to throw, and a teaching coaching staff that clearly is developing quality NFL caliber players, WHY would you worry  :wall:  that Ballard and they won't make a receiving core out of the players they have been working with?
 It will all come together just fine. Andrew will improve some on his weaknesses, and our entire pass catching core should get better in year two.
Not that a Paris Campbell type add wouldn't interest me!  :spit:

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

IMO I think average receivers have more dropped balls than above average or elite receivers. 

Interesting how we keep winning with our Below average receiving core.

Did you see the Steelers MVP drop that game losing catch? 

Scheme, coaching, football IQ, route running, timing, and QB accuracy come first.

Not to worry, our GM and his staff are quite good at there jobs.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:21 PM, compuls1v3 said:

For all intents and purposes, Cain was picked in the 6th round, right?  That was probably for a reason...

He dropped cause his numbers were down with the new QB with Watson he was awesome as to whether he has a future here we will see for sure next preseason.

41 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I don't think you have listened to the coaches thoughts on the attributes that they have WITNESSED from Cain day after day. It isn't MAGIC it is football.
 And Cain has shown them he get's it. 
And he will be ready to contribute some, next season. 
 If you know football, have watched how this offense gets people open and a QB with time to throw, and a teaching coaching staff that clearly is developing quality NFL caliber players, WHY would you worry  :wall:  that Ballard and they won't make a receiving core out of the players they have been working with?
 It will all come together just fine. Andrew will improve some on his weaknesses, and our entire pass catching core should get better in year two.
Not that a Paris Campbell type add wouldn't interest me!  :spit:

Interesting how we keep winning with our Below average receiving core.

Did you see the Steelers MVP drop that game losing catch? 

Scheme, coaching, football IQ, route running, timing, and QB accuracy come first.

Not to worry, our GM and his staff are quite good at there jobs.

No one said Ballard wasn't good at his job.  He is always trying to improve the team.  I don't worry about that at all.  He did bring in Inman and Grant to try and improve the team and dropped Moncrief.  An he will move on from them if he thinks he can find a better player in the draft or FA.  We all hope players develop that's the reason for drafting them or acquiring them.  You have to keep earning your spot every year.