Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deon Cain

Scott Pennock

Here's our training camp superstar working his way back onto the field!

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/26/indianapolis-colts-deon-cain-progress-acl-recovery/

Good stride, knees up, no hitch and no brace....

Even if Ballard signs a quality FA or they draft a quality WR I still believe Cain will provide solid depth and push for a starting spot next year!

• Like 9

I honestly think Cain could be starting opposite TY next season. He flashed so much before the injury and that was back when Luck wasn't back 100% with the rust shaken off. Based on how good Luck has made guys with a fraction of Cain's talent look this season, I think Cain could have been in the running for OROY if he hadn't gotten injured and the flashes were as advertised (extremely optimistic, I know).

The two things that Cain and Fountain have in spades over Grant and Pascal is speed and athleticism. I think Pascal and Ishmael are essentially the same player....

The offense, especially the vertical game and run after catch will be more explosive next year. And that is a truly amazing thought.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

The two things that Cain and Fountain have in spades over Grant and Pascal is speed and athleticism. I think Pascal and Ishmael are essentially the same player....

The offense, especially the vertical game and run after catch will be more explosive next year. And that is a truly amazing thought.

I can’t disagree much with this however , I really like what Pascal has given this team minus that ugly int that was on him that went through his hands a few games ago. 

I wonder, the common thing way back when used to be to sit these kids and let’s rhem learn the game slower while watching the vets play and learning the  playbook and film etc...  That way used to produce starters 2,3 or 4 years down the road until the league went into learn now or go away mode. I have to believe from what we’ve seen from Cain in preseason and his college tape, he should accelerate his curve because of the injury.  He got mentored and learned how to study nfl film and how these guys do it as a pro (hopefully). If he comes back post surgical and mentally adapts, he should honestly be battling for a #2 spot and an eventual challenge to the 1 spot, he has the abilities to be that guy. His issues and his draft drop was from off the field stuff and so far (knock on wood) we haven’t heard anything that concerns me for his future of being a headcase type of kid. If he pans out as a legit threat as a #1 in the future, this team is in the drivers seat for Lucks prime. 

• Like 2

The colts can't rely on Cain coming back full speed, and immediately being a #2 WR, he will essentially be a rookie. The WR corps is possibly the weakest position group on this team right now and definitely the weaklink of the O, it needs to be addressed. 

Also, keep in mind Hilton will be 30 next season. You're probably only looking at acouple more years of elite level production. Ideally we can find someone soon that can be the immediate #2 and future #1. Just like Harrison to Wayne.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Having an additional deep threat should also create openings for the running game 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheMiz said:

The colts can't rely on Cain coming back full speed, and immediately being a #2 WR, he will essentially be a rookie. The WR corps is possibly the weakest position group on this team right now and definitely the weaklink of the O, it needs to be addressed. 

Also, keep in mind Hilton will be 30 next season. You're probably only looking at acouple more years of elite level production. Ideally we can find someone soon that can be the immediate #2 and future #1. Just like Harrison to Wayne.

I am in this boat.   

I HOPE that Cain can be an exciting addition to this offense...........

I would STILL draft a WR

• Like 1

I’ve been saying it about Cain all season:

He’s a rookie. How many rookies come to this league and never put it together? How many rookies come to camp and look like stars but never translate that to games? How many rookies show up and just turn into mediocre or worse players? 

The answer to that question is way more than not. Way more. 

Now throw in the injury. An injury that can really derail someone at the position. 

If Cain can come in next season and catch 100 passes for 1,000 yards and 10 TDs that’s great. 

But to walk into next season expecting him to carry any share of the load never playing in a real game is a silly gamble. Whatever he can add and whatever he can become should be gravy. If he goes 100/1,000/10 great. We have a really good situation on our hands. 

But let’s not repeat this season where we lack a legitimate #2 receiver because we double down on that being Cain and finding out that we set our expectations a little too high. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Shive said:

I honestly think Cain could be starting opposite TY next season. He flashed so much before the injury and that was back when Luck wasn't back 100% with the rust shaken off. Based on how good Luck has made guys with a fraction of Cain's talent look this season, I think Cain could have been in the running for OROY if he hadn't gotten injured and the flashes were as advertised (extremely optimistic, I know).

Were you at training camp to see these Cain flashes?

Cain as a potential OROY?  For a guy who did not make it through his 1st preseason game in August - man the world is a beautiful place when you see it through Colts colored glasses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Maybe. 

I remember when Duron Carter was the camp darling and people thought he might be the big answer for the offense. 

According to mike Chappell the difference being

Carter > practice squad corners

Cain > first string corners

9 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I can’t disagree much with this however , I really like what Pascal has given this team minus that ugly int that was on him that went through his hands a few games ago. 

I wonder, the common thing way back when used to be to sit these kids and let’s rhem learn the game slower while watching the vets play and learning the  playbook and film etc...  That way used to produce starters 2,3 or 4 years down the road until the league went into learn now or go away mode. I have to believe from what we’ve seen from Cain in preseason and his college tape, he should accelerate his curve because of the injury.  He got mentored and learned how to study nfl film and how these guys do it as a pro (hopefully). If he comes back post surgical and mentally adapts, he should honestly be battling for a #2 spot and an eventual challenge to the 1 spot, he has the abilities to be that guy. His issues and his draft drop was from off the field stuff and so far (knock on wood) we haven’t heard anything that concerns me for his future of being a headcase type of kid. If he pans out as a legit threat as a #1 in the future, this team is in the drivers seat for Lucks prime. 

I agree with your sentiment about his talent and the mental reps he's been getting this year in the WR Room and on the sideline on gamedays!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheMiz said:

As the OP...... I never said he would be and even thought the FO may draft and sign another WR to create more depth. 

11 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Apples to oranges.

Ha. Hardly.

Both came out of college carrying baggage. 

By by the time Carter got here he’d become a breakout star in the CFL. He was an all star in the CFL and seemed to be the equivalent of a late 2nd to 4th round pick.  

Cain was viewed as a late second day or later prospect. 

Carter’s CFL career before signing here was hands down more impressive than Cain’s college career. 

In 26 CFL games Carter caught 124 passes for 1939 yards and 12 scores. In Cain’s 40 games at Clemson he caught 130 passes for 2040 yards and 20 TDs. The yards and catches are basically the same despite Cain having a 14 game cushion. 

Both showed up and wowed in camps and workouts, Carter never showed it in games, and Cain has yet to either. 

Optimism is nice, but don’t buy the hype until you see the hype. 

18 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He didn't do as much as Cain did though.

What? Why is it we enter some kind of twilight zone where Cain is concerned?

Carter played 4 preseason games catching 9 passes for 126 yards. 

Cain played 1 and caught a single pass for 4 yards. 

Look, I know it’s uncomfortable that a guy you all seem to be as high on as you are Cain has yet to out-produce Duron Carter but that doesn’t make it any less true. Which is precisely why I’m pointing out it’s a bit of a stretch to lay such lofty expectations on Cain until he actually gets on the field and shows he can live up to them. 

Which. We. Have. Not. Yet. Seen. 

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

Ha. Hardly.

By by the time Carter got here he’d become a breakout star in the CFL. He was an all star in the CFL and seemed to be the equivalent of a late 2nd to 4th round pick.  

Carter’s CFL career before signing here was hands down more impressive than Cain’s college career. 

In 26 CFL games Carter caught 124 passes for 1939 yards and 12 scores. In Cain’s 40 games at Clemson he caught 130 passes for 2040 yards and 20 TDs. The yards and catches are basically the same despite Cain having a 14 game cushion. 

Both showed up and wowed in camps and workouts, Carter never showed it in games, and Cain has yet to either. 

Cain was making a push to be the WR3 by the time the preseason came around, & was running with the first team offense for pretty much the entirety of training camp. Carter didn't even make the 53, then later got cut from the practice squad. Aside from some fan optimism, I'm not seeing any similarities other than they both play wide receiver.

16 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Cain was making a push to be the WR3 by the time the preseason came around, & was running with the first team offense for pretty much the entirety of training camp. Carter didn't even make the 53, then later got cut from the practice squad. Aside from some fan optimism, I'm not seeing any similarities other than they both play wide receiver.

Back in the twilight zone. 

Lets exercise a little objectivity here. It’s not like the competition around here at WR has been all that tough this season. All you gotta do is beat Grant and Rodgers. Not exactly a tall order. 

After Carter was signed we signed Andre Johnson. After we signed Andre Johnson we drafted Phillip Dorsett. And Moncrief was already here in his second season. 

Obviously Carter wasn’t going to get a shot at the 2 or 3 spot unless he earned it by beating out talented guys and a first round rookie. 

Dontrelle Inman walked in off the street and in just a couple of weeks already had a case to be #2. 

There’s your apples to oranges. 

51 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

What? Why is it we enter some kind of twilight zone where Cain is concerned?

Carter played 4 preseason games catching 9 passes for 126 yards. 

Cain played 1 and caught a single pass for 4 yards. 

Look, I know it’s uncomfortable AF that a guy you all seem to be as high on as you are Cain has yet to out-produce Duron Carter but that doesn’t make it any less true. Which is precisely why I’m pointing out it’s a bit of a stretch to lay such lofty expectations on Cain until he actually gets on the field and shows he can live up to them. 

Which. We. Have. Not. Yet. Seen. 

Cause he got hurt didn't get the chance to play more this year cause of the injury.

10 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Cause he got hurt didn't get the chance to play more this year cause of the injury.

Thats not the point. Your original contention was that he did more. 

But he didn’t. Doesn’t matter why. Your claim that he did more than Carter is just factually incorrect. 

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Sure...because this team lacks WR depth...as shown by Dontrelle Inman being able to take over WR2 spot after being signed off the street in-season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Carter was terrible that's why he didn't make it.

Again, that wasn't the point.  But it is entertaining watching you constantly change your argument so that you never, ever have to admit to being wrong.  :thmup:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Carter was terrible that's why he didn't make it.

Oh for the love of god... can you please follow along if you’re going to jump in and post?

15 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Maybe. 

I remember when Duron Carter was the camp darling and people thought he might be the big answer for the offense. 

7 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I’ve been saying it about Cain all season:

He’s a rookie. How many rookies come to this league and never put it together? How many rookies come to camp and look like stars but never translate that to games? How many rookies show up and just turn into mediocre or worse players? 

The answer to that question is way more than not. Way more. 

Now throw in the injury. An injury that can really derail someone at the position. 

If Cain can come in next season and catch 100 passes for 1,000 yards and 10 TDs that’s great. 

But to walk into next season expecting him to carry any share of the load never playing in a real game is a silly gamble. Whatever he can add and whatever he can become should be gravy. If he goes 100/1,000/10 great. We have a really good situation on our hands. 

But let’s not repeat this season where we lack a legitimate #2 receiver because we double down on that being Cain and finding out that we set our expectations a little too high. 

2 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Ha. Hardly.

This must be the 10th post titled "Deon Cain"  

He may be working hard to get healthy but he is nothing more than a variable. ONLY until he plays for real I guarantee Ballard is not counting on him for next year because he is a variable. I hope he works out but I see Ballard taking a receiver with one of the first three picks. 

• Like 1

This has been a good discussion. Here is my take from all that's been said:

1. There is great hope for Cain being/becoming something special.

2. There is no way to know that until you see him on the field post op. Until then, its a wish and a prayer. 

3. WR is a weak link for this team and has to be improved. 

4. Regardless of Cain, the Colts need to upgrade their #2 WR slot this off-season with another player not on the roster. 

5.  For me, that preferably is a FA.  As we know, a rookie WR takes a bit of time to make an impact (Reggie Wayne, for example).  And the Colts need that impact WR right away.  

• Like 2

We have plenty of guys coming back to make for a high quality passing game without drafting a WR. 

You people show no faith in Ballard, Frank, his staff, and the players they are developing for our offense. Boooooooooo!

The point is that This coaching staff saw good things in Cain.
They should know what he knows and how well he was looking, for a Rookie. If Cain comes back healthy, and there is ZERO reason to believe he won't, as the season progresses he should grow in the system and become a threat for defenses. The same for Fountain. These guys should have every expectation to be able to run the plays that Frank and his staff are looking for.

With Rogers showing that he can make plays, and Pascal doing the same, the passing game is in Good Hands.

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

For all intents and purposes, Cain was picked in the 6th round, right?  That was probably for a reason...

The reasons have nothing to with his performance ON the field.

They have everything to do with his performance OFF the field.   

Read:  drugs and possibly other issues.

He was NOT supposed to be drafted so late.