Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wilkins

cdgacoltsfan

Most likely putting the ball on the ground in practice & not as good in pass protection. I was watching the NFL Network & Brian Billick was breaking down Mack’s protection vs the Titans and their tricky overload blitzes & it was outstanding the way Mack picked up the delayed blitzing safety & linebacker.  They showed similar blitzes vs the Jags & Fournette blew the assignments. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Most likely putting the ball on the ground in practice & not as good in pass protection. I was watching the NFL Network & Brian Billick was breaking down Mack’s protection vs the Titans and their tricky overload blitzes & it was outstanding the way Mack picked up the delayed blitzing safety & linebacker.  They showed similar blitzes vs the Jags & Fournette blew the assignments. 

The funny part... that was the big smack on Mack last year, that his pass pro sucked. Clearly it seems he’s worked on that

• Like 1

Earlier in the year, when all 3 were playing, I thought Wilkins showed the best "vision".  I also liked how he presented tacklers with poor contact angles that allowed him to twist, turn & slip forward, upping his yards after contact, and giving him a nice YPC average. That ended up backfiring a bit though, as it was the 2nd or 3rd defender joining in after initial contact, that ended up punching the ball out from behind. It happened a couple of times, so I've been thinking they have him grinding on his ball security after contact.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Calmack said:

Im curious, whats his ypc if that 50 yarder is taken out? 

Still in the 4 YPC neighborhood.

Agree with some posters, its kinda disappointing he's been invisible for quite some time.

He's gotta be in the dog house.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

That has to be it because he can definitely run with the football.  He runs with toughness and good vision.  Can even take it to the house if he gets the ball enough.  I hope he tightens up the other stuff. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Why isn't Wikins playing? He averages 5.6 ypc. He is way more effective in the run game than Hines is.

He sees limited snaps, Hines is a better receiver out the backfield which is why he sees more action than Wilkins. Wilkins is a between the tackles grinding tough yards back.

Mack is a better runner, receiver, and blocker.

Hines is a much better receiver.

I don't really see a situation that you would want Wilkins in over either of them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Wilkins is bad, or doesn't deserve playing time, he's just behind two more deserving players. I'm very happy with the RB situation as is.

• Like 1

I like Wilkins, but what does he do that makes him special?  He's about the same size as Mack, so you can't say he's a power back.  He seems to be a decent receiver, but he's not as good in the open field as Hines.

IMO, he's basically a 'relief' guy for when Mack gets injured or needs a rest during a long drive.

I think we really need a power back to complement Mack and Hines.  Maybe that's Williams, but I don't think he's even been active yet.

• Like 1

I like Wilkens and his 2 fumbles don't bother me as much as it does some people.  Wasn't Hines the fumbler in the preseason?

With Mack and Hines, I don't think Wilkens should get too many carries, but when Hines was in for a change of pace from Mack, and they ran him up the gut, it should have been Wilkens.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

He sees limited snaps, Hines is a better receiver out the backfield which is why he sees more action than Wilkins. Wilkins is a between the tackles grinding tough yards back.

Couldn't disagree with you more. If that was the case, he would have been able to help out on a lot of the recent short yardage situations that weren't converted.

2 hours ago, NHColt18 said:

Couldn't disagree with you more. If that was the case, he would have been able to help out on a lot of the recent short yardage situations that weren't converted.

Heck, they used Hines on a few of those.    Not sure why they did that.   Most of those plays should be QB sneaks.

10 hours ago, TheMiz said:

Mack is a better runner, receiver, and blocker.

Hines is a much better receiver.

I don't really see a situation that you would want Wilkins in over either of them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Wilkins is bad, or doesn't deserve playing time, he's just behind two more deserving players. I'm very happy with the RB situation as is.

He has better vision than Mack and is more decisive. He's also a very good pass protector, from the little we've seen of him. 

I'm disappointed he hasn't gotten more chances. I think he's a good complement to Mack. He must be in the dog house due to his fumbles, or something else that we aren't aware of. But it's not just an issue of the other guys being better than him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it's probably the fumbles.  

He also just doesn't really do anything major better than Mack/Hines

He might have better vision than Mack but Mack is shiftier and faster.  

He doesn't compliment the passing game as well as either of them.  

I think they would still be giving him a few carries per game but he is behind some players who are more useful and have better defined roles.   They also during the season have had better ball security.  

56 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think it's probably the fumbles.  

He also just doesn't really do anything major better than Mack/Hines

He might have better vision than Mack but Mack is shiftier and faster.  

He doesn't compliment the passing game as well as either of them.  

I think they would still be giving him a few carries per game but he is behind some players who are more useful and have better defined roles.   They also during the season have had better ball security.  

Exactly. If either of them gets nicked up in a game, Wilkins is the next man up and will play. And I think he'll play well. 

The Mack/Hines duo is under-appreciated.

S. Barkley             331 total touches             1886 yards               86 1st downs          14 TD's

Mack/Hines          328 total touches             1603 yards               90 1st downs          13 TD's

If we throw in Wilkin's numbers:

E. Elliot                 381 total touches              2001 yards               95 1st downs           13 TD's

Mack/Hines/        400 total touches              2001 yards              106 1st downs          14 TD's

Wilkins

Colt's RB production compared to the AFC South (Mack/Hines/Wilkins only) :

Other teams include all players listed as a Running Back.

Team           run/pass %        total touches        total yards           1st downs           TD's

Colts            78%  22%                 400                       2,001                      106                  14

Titans           84% 16%                  428                       1,962                        86                  14

Jags             78%  22%                 406                       1,871                        85                  11

Texans          88% 12%                  393                       1,772                        72                   8 

• Like 5

I think a reason he's not playing is because Doyle got hurt. Since Doyle got hurt, Wilkins has been completely taken out of the game plan. Wilkins is a zone runner...and without Doyle, the Colts don't have the personnel to run the zone plays (see the 18-yard TD run against TEN...where Doyle lays a great block and Kelly takes out TWO guys).

And Wilkins just isn't effective when running the same plays that Mack runs (athleticism probably has something to do with it).

And he's not a threat in the passing game...like Hines has been. So at least when Hines is on the field...it keeps the defense honest.

He also fumbled twice and might have issues with pass blocking...both of which will keep any RB off the field. 

19 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Even if it was the fumbles - I'm pretty positive he's had at least one, maybe two long TD runs since then? One to the right and one to the left....

It's gotta be pass pro....or maybe he's not working hard enough in practice?

He had an 18-yard TD run to the left against TEN and a 53-yard run to the right against JAC (not a TD) the previous week. But then he did fumble in the MIA game, which was after the TEN game. And his touches vanished.

I think the fumble played a big part...since the situation changed from player development to getting to the playoffs. Can't trust a guy who fumbles one of his few touches. If the playoffs were not in the picture...then he probably gets a chance to build his confidence back up. 

I also think the Doyle injury has affected the plays they run. Can't run those zone plays without #84 doing his thing.

But ultimately, I just don't think he's very good. He's not shifty or fast like Mack...doesn't offer much in the passing game like Hines...so he really doesn't have a place at this moment. And it seems that the coaching staff agrees to an extent.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

The Mack/Hines duo is under-appreciated.

S. Barkley             331 total touches             1886 yards               86 1st downs          14 TD's

Mack/Hines          328 total touches             1603 yards               90 1st downs          13 TD's

If we throw in Wilkin's numbers:

E. Elliot                 381 total touches              2001 yards               95 1st downs           13 TD's

Mack/Hines/        400 total touches              2001 yards              106 1st downs          14 TD's

Wilkins

That looks to defend the use of Wilkins.  

I don't want to see him getting 12 touches per game, but I'd rather see him run up the middle than Hines.  

30 minutes ago, Myles said:

That looks to defend the use of Wilkins.  

I don't want to see him getting 12 touches per game, but I'd rather see him run up the middle than Hines.  

Hines is underrated. That is a point I was making. 

Mack/Hines is working. No doubt about it..... They have 90 1st downs between the two of them!

That is is more than all the the running backs on these teams:

Texans - 72,  Jags - 85,  Titans - 86, Bills - 71, Jets -84, Dolphins - 85, Giants - 86,

I haven't even checked all of the teams.

Mack/Hines alone are better than all the Bills RB's:

Mack/Hines   1603 yds      90  1st downs     13  TD's

Bills            1683 yds      71  1st downs       3  TD's  

7 hours ago, Superman said:

He has better vision than Mack and is more decisive. He's also a very good pass protector, from the little we've seen of him. 

I'm disappointed he hasn't gotten more chances. I think he's a good complement to Mack. He must be in the dog house due to his fumbles, or something else that we aren't aware of. But it's not just an issue of the other guys being better than him.

I'll take your word on the better vision aspect, but I don't really recall Mack missing any obvious holes throughout the year. 

On 12/26/2018 at 8:16 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Even if it was the fumbles - I'm pretty positive he's had at least one, maybe two long TD runs since then? One to the right and one to the left....

It's gotta be pass pro....or maybe he's not working hard enough in practice?

Huh, i don’t even recall Wilkins having long run TDs ...