Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Herbert returning to Oregon...

Good for the kid.   He recognizes he’s not quite ready for Prime Time so he’s going back to school.   Playing QB,  I ALWAYS recommend going back to school if there’s any doubt at all.   More experience at the position is always better. 

Hooefully thgs oays off down down the road and he’s taken high in the 2020 draft.

Sorry I don’t have a story to link but I’m doing this by phone.   It’s on RSPN and other sites as well I’m sure...

Here's the official Oregon Football twitter account announcing the news with a quote from Herbert. 

I absolutely loved what I saw from him in the few games I watched. I think he's a high end prospect. He played close to a perfect game against Stanford this year and that's the game where I fell in love with him. He wasn't as consistent as I expected for the remainder of the season and him returning is somewhat understandable since his brother is joining Oregon this year and reportedly they are very close and he wanted to play with him before going to the NFL(I don't think that's a good reason to stay but... )

I wonder what that means for Brissett. His value is probably climbing now if we decide to trade him in the off-season. I don't think it makes much sense to do it though... 

The incentive to go back to school is that he might get better and also maybe become the top pick in the draft in 2020.     Better equals a longer better career.

Being a top-10 puck usntbheloful if you flame out after you first contract.   The bust rate for first quarterbacks is roughly 50 percent.   Experience us everything for a quarterback.    It certainly helped Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck...

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The incentive to go back to school is that he might get better and also maybe become the top pick in the draft in 2020.     Better equals a longer better career.

Being a top-10 puck usntbheloful if you flame out after you first contract.   The bust rate for first quarterbacks is roughly 50 percent.   Experience us everything for a quarterback.    It certainly helped Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck...

Hes a top ten pick because its a defense heavy draft not because hes not a top 3 talent

39 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Hes a top ten pick because its a defense heavy draft not because hes not a top 3 talent

He isn’t a top 3 talent.   Even people at Iregon recognize Herbert regressed this year.   He had a mostly disappointing season.

If you’re a quarterback the trap is thinking you’re ready simply because you’re going to get drafted high.   Getting drafted high doesn’t mean you’re going to be a success.   A 50 percent bust rate among first round QBs proves that.   Get more experience and be better prepared for the NFL.

• Like 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

He isn’t a top 3 talent.   Even people at Iregon recognize Herbert regressed this year.   He had a mostly disappointing season.

If you’re a quarterback the trap is thinking you’re ready simply because you’re going to get drafted high.   Getting drafted high doesn’t mean you’re going to be a success.   A 50 percent bust rate among first round QBs proves that.   Get more experience and be better prepared for the NFL.

You can be a bust no matter where you're drafted, but hey if his intent is to hone his skills before going into the jungle, more power to him, but my concern is going back and getting hurt. You go from being a first round pick to potentially a 2nd or 3rd round pick

19 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You can be a bust no matter where you're drafted, but hey if his intent is to hone his skills before going into the jungle, more power to him, but my concern is going back and getting hurt. You go from being a first round pick to potentially a 2nd or 3rd round pick

Yes....    you’re correct...   there IS a risk of injury.    But both Peyton and Andrew risked injury and it paid off big-time for both of them... 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes....    you’re correct...   there IS a risk of injury.    But both Peyton and Andrew risked injury and it paid off big-time for both of them... 

Very rare cases. A lot of kids come out early especially when their draft stock won't change even if they stay another year to avoid getting hurt. Heck even future draft prospects refuse to play in bowl games now for risk they might get hurt.

Question?    Who was the first round quarterback who went back to school, got hurt, and fell to the 2nd or 3rd round?

I can’t think of one.

But I can think of tons of QBs who came out early, and flamed out...  they weren’t ready.   That only happens every year....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Question?    Who was the first round quarterback who went back to school, got hurt, and fell to the 2nd or 3rd round?

I can’t think of one.

But I can think of tons of QBs who came out early, and flamed out...  they weren’t ready.   That only happens every year....

Are you saying just because there is no example of one, it can't happen?

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I can’t think of one.

Curtis Painter was a fringe 1st round pick after his junior year, decided to stay in college, and plummeted horribly the following year and ended up going in the 6th round. 

I'm not saying this will be Herbert, but it's possible he's not a top-10 pick come next year. If Dwayne Haskins stays at Ohio State, Herbert definitely won't be the first QB off the board next year barring something catastrophic not happening to Haskins. 

I would say Haskins may stay as well

(Though YOURS TRULY would take the cash... :) )

Haskins had one year as the starter, he has all the tools, but needs some work on seeing the whole field.  He also has been rattled a bit with any pressure

I think he will be a great pro, but he ISNT ready to take over as the starter, year one in the NFL.

He would be ruined in Jacksonville. The Giants may actually be a better fit if Eli doesnt retire

I have heard in the past that some players have taken out insurance policys to cover injurys

I bet they BOTH do it.......

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

His decision further weakens an already weak QB. class. 

There are to go along with D. Haskins, three potential 1st Rd QBs in

D. Lock Missouri

D. Jones Duke

W. Grier W. Virginia

If they have solid combines, all four could be 1st Rd picks. Kinda of reminds of the 2011 draft.

C. Newton was #1 overall with J. Locker, B. Gabbert and C. Ponder going top 12.

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

D. Lock Missouri

D. Jones Duke

W. Grier W. Virginia

If they have solid combines, all four could be 1st Rd picks. Kinda of reminds of the 2011 draft.

The 2011 draft is a good indicator of how many first round QBs miss

Some days, Cam plays below his capabilities

If I am the Giants, and Haskins isnt available...... Im waiting til 2020

Do the Jags put their hopes in Duke, Lock or Grier????   Sheeze I havent watched alot of tape, but these guys seem more like what they already have......  Not quite good enough for NFL

I bet more than a few, keep what they have and draft next year

I also think that New England, Pittsburgh, NO, will also be looking for QBs of the future...

7 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Do the Jags put their hopes in Duke, Lock or Grier????   Sheeze I havent watched alot of tape, but these guys seem more like what they already have......  Not quite good enough for NFL

I also think that New England, Pittsburgh, NO, will also be looking for QBs of the future...

I personally had Justin Herbert as a bust if he declared for the draft this year. He needs to go back to school. Haskins will be a major hit IMO. If Haskins goes back to school as well, I'm almost 100% sure we could get a 2nd round pick for Brissett. So I'm kinda rooting for it lol. I like Lock as well, the others I'm not much of a fan of. I personally think it's a weak class.

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

The pre-draft process hasn't even begun yet! It's to early to say, but who thought QBs like C. Wentz, P. Lynch, R. Tannehill, J. Flacco, A. Rodgers and C. Pennington would be 1st Rd picks before the combine.

It's immaterial how they panned out now, the point is that teams are willing to take risks, based off their evaluations of players. 

How many teams would have taken D. Brees over Vick 2001 draft? Not many, but it's a business of risk vs reward.

Don't let your feelings on trading Brissett for high picks, ignore the draft process.

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

The pre-draft process hasn't even begun yet! It's to early to say, but who thought QBs like C. Wentz, P. Lynch, R. Tannehill, J. Flacco, A. Rodgers and C. Pennington would be 1st Rd picks before the combine.

It's immaterial how they panned out now, the point is that teams are willing to take risks, based off their evaluations of players. 

How many teams would have taken D. Brees over Vick 2001 draft? Not many, but it's a business of risk vs reward.

Don't let your feelings on trading Brissett for high picks, ignore the draft process.

Actually...   on your list of QBs that you made....   almost all of them were viewed as first round guys before the combine except maybe Paxton Lynch.   Otherwise the rest were thought to be first round talents.

Seriously.   Honestly.   Not kidding.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Actually...   on your list of QBs that you made....   almost all of them were viewed as first round guys before the combine except maybe Paxton Lynch.   Otherwise the rest were thought to be first round talents.

Seriously.   Honestly.   Not kidding.

Flacco from Deleware, Wentz from N. Dakota Sate and Pennington from Marshall I beg to differ.

Maybe I should have stated at this particular time of year. Highly doubful all, but Lynch was. Sorry I disagree.  

13 minutes ago, MPStack said:

The fact is NEITHER one of us truly knows what will happen with Brissett.

I HOPE we get a 2nd or 3rd for him if they decide to trade him, I believe that because there is a dwindling QB market. in both FA and draft, that QB may be a premium

You have an opinion, I have an opinion......We disagree .... that's A-Ok

From your other posts you seem like an intelligent poster....... 

Its not life or death with me. 

18 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Flacco from Deleware, Wentz from N. Dakota Sate and Pennington from Marshall I beg to differ.

Maybe I should have stated at this particular time of year. Highly doubful all, but Lynch was. Sorry I disagree.  

Actually.....  There were some projections from draft sites (still searchable) that had ALL of them going number 1...... Except for Flacco (he was listed as a 2nd) and Lynch

You were wrong..... which is OK..... no biggie

41 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

The fact is NEITHER one of us truly knows what will happen with Brissett.

He won't be traded for a 2nd.

I HOPE we get a 2nd or 3rd for him if they decide to trade him, I believe that because there is a dwindling QB market. in both FA and draft, that QB may be a premium

I'd be happy with a 4th, but I rather keep him as the backup.

You have an opinion, I have an opinion......We disagree .... that's A-Ok

Are you sure?

Its not life or death with me. 

I hope not!

44 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

You were wrong..... which is OK..... no biggie

Negative, they were not locks like Mannings, Vick, Palmer and Luck to name a few.

No, no biggie.

I like a good debate, don't take it personal. You also, seem like a intelligent poster and I enjoy differences of opinion.

It will be fun to bump these Brissett threads up in 2019.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good for the kid.   He recognizes he’s not quite ready for Prime Time so he’s going back to school.   Playing QB,  I ALWAYS recommend going back to school if there’s any doubt at all.   More experience at the position is always better. 

Hooefully thgs oays off down down the road and he’s taken high in the 2020 draft.

Sorry I don’t have a story to link but I’m doing this by phone.   It’s on RSPN and other sites as well I’m sure...

Hopefully, the decision works out for him.  The risk is that the 2020 draft looks like a stronger Qb draft than the 2019 draft.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Curtis Painter was a fringe 1st round pick after his junior year, decided to stay in college, and plummeted horribly the following year and ended up going in the 6th round. 

I'm not saying this will be Herbert, but it's possible he's not a top-10 pick come next year. If Dwayne Haskins stays at Ohio State, Herbert definitely won't be the first QB off the board next year barring something catastrophic not happening to Haskins. 

If Haskins comes back, Ohio State could make it back to the college playoffs, IMO, and his value will be much higher. However, I'd rather be drafted by a team like the Jaguars or Giants, that has plenty of talent assembled on several other fronts just short of a QB, and that chance is now, IMO.

Last year, Browns, Jets, Bills, Cardinals - only the Browns assembled decent talent to surround the QB among QB needy teams, Ravens' Lamar Jackson was the perfect spot for Lamar to go. Like Lamar, Haskins would reap the benefits of going to a team with more talent assembled if he goes this year.

I think Haskins has a greater ceiling than Herbert as a pro, but that is just my personal take on it. 

• Like 1

Haskins would be a second rounder if he was in last years class. He's a triple or strike out guy, not a homerun by any means. He started 1 year in college, if anyone should go back for another year it's him. The Jags picked a bad year to suck for a QB..

47 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If Haskins comes back, Ohio State could make it back to the college playoffs, IMO, and his value will be much higher. However, I'd rather be drafted by a team like the Jaguars or Giants, that has plenty of talent assembled on several other fronts just short of a QB, and that chance is now, IMO.

Last year, Browns, Jets, Bills, Cardinals - only the Browns assembled decent talent to surround the QB among QB needy teams, Ravens' Lamar Jackson was the perfect spot for Lamar to go. Like Lamar, Haskins would reap the benefits of going to a team with more talent assembled if he goes this year.

I think Haskins has a greater ceiling than Herbert as a pro, but that is just my personal take on it. 

I completely agree and mentioned in another thread that I would like to see him go to the Giants, if he came out this year, because he'd have a great offensive mind mentoring him in Shurmur and their OL isnt that bad. However, I would not want to see him in Jacksonville due to the coaching down there and the overall team culture. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I absolutely agree on Haskins

I see the Jags as starting the long drop down.......  If he went there, he is under pressure to start immediately.

I think that would be a disaster for Haskins. As he isn't ready to start right away.

Him coming in and throwing INTS and possibly getting booed as he learns is tough on a young kid.  He has had exactly ONE year as a college starter

The Giants would be more attractive

Let him sit behind Manning for a year, and learn the system

I believe he will have a better career.

He WOULD be better suited to stay in ONE MORE year

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I absolutely agree on Haskins

I see the Jags as starting the long drop down.......  If he went there, he is under pressure to start immediately.

I think that would be a disaster for Haskins. As he isn't ready to start right away.

Him coming in and throwing INTS and possibly getting booed as he learns is tough on a young kid.  He has had exactly ONE year as a college starter

The Giants would be more attractive

Let him sit behind Manning for a year, and learn the system

I believe he will have a better career.

He WOULD be better suited to stay in ONE MORE year

Currently, the Giants are slightly ahead of the Jaguars in draft position. The lower the strength of schedule, the greater the draft pick for the same record. Since the Giants' next game is vs the Cowboys (9-6) that have a worse record than the Texans (10-5) that are the Jags' next opponent, it seems like the Giants will stay that way if both teams lose their respective games, which is what I expect.

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

The Cowboys do not have much to gain in terms of playoff seeding, so if they rest a few key starters, the Giants might move ahead of Jaguars by winning the game thus leapfrogging Jaguars in draft position, unless of course Bortles pulls off the upset. :) 

On 12/26/2018 at 7:46 PM, Luck 4 president said:

Good for him. If he is confident he will improve and have a better season next year then it will all pay off for him. But if he has a bad season it could ruin his chances in the NFL.

Of course he doesn't have to have a better season next year.

Darnold was better in 2016 than 2017. His Team was worse.
Josh Allen showed a lot of issues to work on after 2017.
 And how many QB's lack confidence. I would be confident the kid already has an outline for all the things he needs to work on, and will work hard on and get better.
 HE is thinking long term. Russell Wilson playing up there in Oregon made chump change for his 1st contract and is a good example and doing ju$t fine. 

On 12/26/2018 at 2:14 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Peyton and Luck would have PROBABLY still been a top 2-3 pick if they would have gone out a year earlier.

As a 20-21 year old kid, it would have been tough to wait a year for the cash.

Its interesting that both Luck and Manning had an parental influence of fathers with NFL experience.  

The decision also is driven by available Money. If the kid/family has no money, they may make a quick decision (maybe a poor decision)

I can STILL remember how elder Manning was beat to a pulp when he was drafted by the, then horrible Saints

On 12/26/2018 at 7:08 PM, MPStack said:

D. Lock Missouri

D. Jones Duke

W. Grier W. Virginia

Didnt that power trio of Locker, Gabbert, Ponder go something like 10, 11, and 12?

Edit: I looked it up, 8, 10, and 12