Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Big game Titans, Should Derrick Henry Be a main focal point?

horseshoecrabs

If you have noticed lately, Derrick Henry has been a major factor, in the success in the titan's offense.

He has come alive in the last 3 or 4 games.  If we can limit his production, will we make their QB , have to pass the ball to beat us?

I really would like everyone's thoughts on this . I think stopping his production is a must, but I would like all of this forum's input

sarcasm aside. lol   

Derrick Henry and/or play action from their running game is what we should be most concerned about. They are very well aware that if they have to play their style, they have to get ahead so that they can control the tempo of the game. If we get ahead 14-0 or 14-3, the game plays to our strengths. If not, it is a dog fight, which is what they would want as a scrappy team that does not get away from teams but does not let other teams typically get away from them as well. 

This is very much like the Cowboys and Giants team except that Eli is more accurate than Dak and Mariota, when given time, IMO. Blaine Gabbert is streaky, so over 4 quarters, we can figure him out.

We need to prevent big chunk completions, something we typically have not done but suddenly did vs the Giants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, basketballsteve said:

I fear him inside the 10 especially, he's a pushing the pile style runner and he's a problem on third and one or two as well.

Yea, he had the big great break out game a few games ago that was awesome, over 200 yards,  and he has been on a rampage ever since. This guy is a beast, to say the least. We have to make them try to beat us minus his production if possible. If we can limit his input, then it will level the playing field for us to achieve our goal. 

Come on over 62 views and only 5 replies? Surely we have more posters who have  input on this subject. Your thoughts are an important part of our fan family, This is prime time to voice your  thoughts on the matter. Hey we win and we are in the playoffs ! Who would have thought that we would have this opportunity, the way the season started! 

The Colts defense has consistently held teams under 100 yards all year. I am not going to worry now about our run defense. I'm more worried about What (who has been an underrated cause to our defensive success) and Ryan Kelly at the moment. I'm more worried about our run offense because our team has issues without Kelly out there.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

The Colts defense has consistently held teams under 100 yards all year. I am not going to worry now about our run defense. I'm more worried about walker and Ryan Kelly at the moment. I'm more worried about our run offense because our team has issues without Kelly out there.

I agree that if the Colts lose, it will be because the offense sputtered like in the Jax game, and in the first 20 minutes of the Giants game.

We'll definitely have to be alert anytime they can use some trickery (fake punt, surprise onside, even Henry trying to throw a TD). They will pull out all the stops in a win and get in scenario.

We've gotta jump out on them and make them play catch up all game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Yeah we are going to get a big dose of Henry and I'm sure they will incorporate a good deal of what we just put on tape against the Giants and all our troubles with the misdirection stuff.

I think people are failing to realize how big of an effect Walker especially,  the geathers as well, have on this defense. Walker will be a huge help in stopping those underneath Routes; and geathers is a stud at sniffing out screens and coming up to make the tackle on the short screens, misdirections. 

40 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Saquon Barkley is the best RB in the game he was utterly shut down. No Running Back can beat us. 

However, would it be fair to say that Henry is a more powerful back than Barkley and Elliot? I think Derrick Henry gets over 120+ yards, but there is no way Mariota/Gabbert will be as accurate as Manning was last week. Manning was feeling himself trying to bid for his starting QB spot next year. 

• Like 1

If we have Walker and Geathers back, we should be alright against Henry. A game like this is exactly where Al Woods would thrive, but we won't have him. Gotta make do.

Titans interior isn't as good this year. Autry and co need to pressure Mariota (who I'm assuming will play) up the middle like last time. Make him get rid of it quicker. Stack the box to stop Henry and force em into third and long. Mariota will get some completions against the soft zones, but we gotta stick with it and force him into a mistake.

I'm interested to see how we'll play things offensively. We can get aggressive and go for the kill shots like last time, but on the road, at night in December, I doubt we'd be able to light em up for 38. The last thing the offense can afford is turnovers. Then again, if we play conservatively, that may also play into the Titans hands. A 16-10 kinda score is exactly what they want.

Regardless though, if this turns into Andrew Luck vs Marcus Mariota, the Colts should be able to put them away. I got faith that they'll do so.

35 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

However, would it be fair to say that Henry is a more powerful back than Barkley and Elliot? I think Derrick Henry gets over 120+ yards, but there is no way Mariota/Gabbert will be as accurate as Manning was last week. Manning was feeling himself trying to bid for his starting QB spot next year. 

Henry, for his size is more of a speed back than a power back imo. Barkley breaks tackles at a higher rate. As long as they contain the edge and prevent him from getting a head of steam, which is when he’s very tough to bring down, they’ll be able to keep his impact at a minimum. 

people forget how banged up the titans are they might have to play blaine gabbert their offensive line is banged up starting tight end best corner is out best defensive linemen is hurt and best pass rusher is hurt look at their injured reserve list and injury report from last week , we all thought we are banged up they are in way worse shape .   bohman at center has played really well and so has joe haeg but we have a lot of guys coming back  next week ebron will be back anthony walker will probably be back and geathers .  the only big loses this season were jack doyle and al woods .   looking at other playoff teams we are in good shape injury wise we should get our starting offensive line back and walker

• Like 1

8 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I think stopping his production is a must, but I would like all of this forum's input

We just limited Barkley to 43 yds, Zeke to 87 yds, and last time we played Henry, he only had 46 yds in a 38-10 Colts win.

We can stop Henry.  We just ALSO have to stop a backup QB from completing easy passes to a backup TE all night long...

Oh, and the offense can't afford a slow start, either.  Luck & Co start the game firing on all cylinders and this should be a Colts W.  :thmup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, IinD said:

We'll definitely have to be alert anytime they can use some trickery (fake punt, surprise onside, even Henry trying to throw a TD). They will pull out all the stops in a win and get in scenario.

We've gotta jump out on them and make them play catch up all game.

I totally agree if we start strong them maybe we can limit Derrick Henrys ground game and make them beat us through the air. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I totally agree if we start strong them maybe we can limit Derrick Henrys ground game and make them beat us through the air. 

In a way it reminds me of in 05' when Pitt beat us in the Vanderjagt shank game. Everybody in the world said you've gotta stop Bettis and their run game. I remember they came out firing the ball everywhere and we looked totally shocked because we were thinking they will run. Got us off balance right from the start.

Vrabrel is also a former Patriot, he'll pull something out of his butt I'm thinking at some point that could confuse us.

We just literally have to get up on them quick. Make them do things they don't want. They'll probably try to do the Peyton treatment, slow long drives to keep Luck on the sidelines.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Henry should be the main focal point. The Titans got to this game because they started making him the focal point of their offense.  Stop him and force them to compete with a sore armed Mariotta or a backup in Gabbert.  I really like our chances under that scenario. 

Listen to Richard:agree:

• Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 4:00 PM, krunk said:

Yeah we are going to get a big dose of Henry and I'm sure they will incorporate a good deal of what we just put on tape against the Giants and all our troubles with the misdirection stuff.

How is Henry in the pass catching game and the pass protection part? 

I feel like this is going to be a very hard fought game by the Titans and I feel like they are the inferior team here but desperation and home field fuels their chances. Maybe they don’t have Mariotta and have to rely on Blaine Gabbert but we’ve seen this team fall to lesser talented back up QB’s too many times. Sure would like to have at least Walker back for this very game