Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who’s supposed to be covering the TEs in this offense?

Defjamz26

Couldn’t be more excited for the win, but one thing that stick out in particular about the pass defense was the TEs getting wide open.

Whether it was Ingram or that big TE whose name escapes me, seems like they were feasting. It seems they just use Leonard to run and hit. The D seemed really lost as to who was supposed to be covering the TEs. This isn’t the first game I’ve seen this either.

Just curious

On 12/24/2018 at 2:47 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Couldn’t be more excited for the win, but one thing that stick out in particular about the pass defense was the TEs getting wide open.

Whether it was Ingram or TE whose name escapes me, seems like they were feasting. It seems they just use Leonard to run and hit. The D seemed really lost as to who was supposed to be covering the TEs. This isn’t the first game I’ve seen this either.

Just curious

Did you mean to write who is covering the TE in this Defense?  Because you wrote in your title "Offense".  Confused  me there for a sec

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Whether it was Ingram or that big white TE whose name escapes me, seems like they were feasting. It seems they just use Leonard to run and hit. The D seemed really lost as to who was supposed to be covering the TEs. This isn’t the first game I’ve seen this either.

Just curious

Some of those highlights that I saw the plays seemed sort of busted.  I'm not sure if Zaire was making the right calls out there or what was going on.

8 hours ago, krunk said:

Some of those highlights that I saw the plays seemed sort of busted.  I'm not sure if Zaire was making the right calls out there or what was going on.

Isn’t the MLB supposed to have deep zone coverage in a base 4-3? If that’s the case then Zaire should have been responsible if he started in place of Walker. Eberflus should have had a nickel CB shadow Engram then. Maybe Hairston. 

This zone defense isnt really working out too well. I think part of it is the personnel. Last season Ballard drafted and signed players for Pagano’s 3-4 press-man scheme. Now we run a 4-3, Cover-2. I think Kenny Moore may be the one true fit, which is probably how he earned a starting role. It would also explain why guys like Wilson and Hairston looked amazing last year, but seem to have taken a step back this year.

Those play action bootlegs were killing us. The LBs kept taking the bait and putting themselves out of position. I think it was all of them but mostly Franklin. Also I know that Eberflus has made the most out of what he’s got, but he probably needs to rein in those blitzes a little. Especially against smart vet QBs that know how to read a defense. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 2:47 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Whether it was Ingram or that big TE whose name escapes me, seems like they were feasting. It seems they just use Leonard to run and hit. The D seemed really lost as to who was supposed to be covering the TEs. This isn’t the first game I’ve seen this either.

Just curious

As a few of the others have stated, this is a zone defense, so it really just depends. Not having Anthony Walker and Geathers left a huge hole for the Colts, especially playing against a veteran in Eli Manning that does really well against zone defenses. Walker and Leonard are the two top dogs that make this defense go, so I think with Walker out it was a communication error, rather than lack of coverage. 

Those making the nonsense rant about how bad the defense was yesterday....

This is what we did to Barkley....

21 carries.  43 yards.   2.0 per carry

5 receptions, 34 yards...  6.8 per catch

26 Touches.  77 yards.   3 yards per touch.

Those complaining about the defense, in this thread and others,  literally have no idea what they’re talking about.   None.

We weren’t great yesterday...   but we weren’t nearly as bad as these threads are making it out to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I wish anyone middle linebacker the Colts put out their Shadow the quarterback or the running back. I'm so tired of this Dink and dunk. Other defenses stop this in their tracks this is been an Achilles heel for us for some years

Are you sick of winning 8 out of the last 9 games playing this kind of defense?

Giving up yardage is better than giving up points.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Isn’t the MLB supposed to have deep zone coverage in a base 4-3? If that’s the case then Zaire should have been responsible if he started in place of Walker. Eberflus should have had a nickel CB shadow Engram then. Maybe Hairston. 

This zone defense isnt really working out too well. I think part of it is the personnel. Last season Ballard drafted and signed players for Pagano’s 3-4 press-man scheme. Now we run a 4-3, Cover-2. I think Kenny Moore may be the one true fit, which is probably how he earned a starting role. It would also explain why guys like Wilson and Hairston looked amazing last year, but seem to have taken a step back this year.

If anything Wilson looks a lot better this year... idk what you are on about. Went from the coaches not even considering him to a serviceable starter...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

As a few of the others have stated, this is a zone defense, so it really just depends. Not having Anthony Walker and Geathers left a huge hole for the Colts, especially playing against a veteran in Eli Manning that does really well against zone defenses. Walker and Leonard are the two top dogs that make this defense go, so I think with Walker out it was a communication error, rather than lack of coverage. 

Kind of hard to tell just watching it but at the game you could see a lot confusion as to who was supposed to be guarding who. Sometimes we left people uncovered at the line until someone noticed and they had to yell and scream to get a back on them... or they just had their hands up in frustration and confusion. There was a whole lot of that this game. Probably had a lot to do with Walker being out but you would think the coaches would have had them better prepared. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It could be the MLB....    it could be the SSLB...   it could be the WSLB....   it could be the SS....    it could even be the FS in some situations. 

There’s not one person for all downs and distances....

I just got through watching the game and I don't think we put Zaire in too many situations that made it tough for him. I may need to watch again but I didn't think he was getting killed out there and for the most part he was solid against the run. Overall I just feel like Engram was a speed mismatch for most of anybody who tried to cover him.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I wish anyone middle linebacker the Colts put out their Shadow the quarterback or the running back. I'm so tired of this Dink and dunk. Other defenses stop this in their tracks this is been an Achilles heel for us for some years

This D will always give up the 5 yard "dink and dunk" plays..... it's designed to.  you make your money with it by stopping the run, limiting chunk plays, taking full advantage of the other team's miscues and tightening up in the red zone.