Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Injuries from the game

Jdubu

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Does anyone know the severity of the injury?

He has been dealing with a pretty serious nerve injury in his arm for a while now.  Weakness, numbness, tingling fingers etc.   It had been getting better but today seems to have aggravated  it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Moore and Wilson both returned to the game.

Anthony Walker is this defenses secret superstar. He does his job soundly and allows Leonard to fly around.

He reminds me a lot of brackett.  Not flashy and won’t ever be a NFL superstar but you sure notice when he’s out.

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

I think if the playoffs are on the line, he’ll play. 

As @USAFHoosier points out below, stingers can be tricky.  The main problem is not necessarily the pain, but the lack of feeling (i.e., numbness and tingling) you *can* experience in your arm and hand.  If those are the symptoms he's experiencing late in the week, that will substantially affect his ability to throw the football.

3 hours ago, USAFHoosier said:

Stingers can linger or only take a few days. Glad it’s nothing structural. 

Yep.  Everyone reacts differently, depending on the severity, since it's literally a bundle of nerves (brachial plexus).  Nerves are tricky.

• Like 1

Watched the game out socially so I watched a bit at home again just to get a better feel of the game and one guy that scares me is Boehm. 

Obviously filled in admirably, but he had some really bad plays where he got totally spun around and several blocks where he flat out missed his guy when pulling. Also a few snaps around Luck's shins. Several of those breakdown plays were directly attributed to him.

Hopefully Kelly doesn't miss time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zibby43 said:

As @USAFHoosier points out below, stingers can be tricky.  The main problem is not necessarily the pain, but the lack of feeling (i.e., numbness and tingling) you *can* experience in your arm and hand.  If those are the symptoms he's experiencing late in the week, that will substantially affect his ability to throw the football.

Yep.  Everyone reacts differently, depending on the severity, since it's literally a bundle of nerves (brachial plexus).  Nerves are tricky.

It may well be structural and is very unlikely to have anything to do with the brachial plexus... It will come down to his status on game day and likely the presence or absence of active correlating compression on an MRI.  We have nowhere near enough information in the press to predict his status, but I'll gamble that he'll understate the severity of his symptoms and play anyway.

42 minutes ago, nsurg said:

It may well be structural and is very unlikely to have anything to do with the brachial plexus... It will come down to his status on game day and likely the presence or absence of active correlating compression on an MRI.  We have nowhere near enough information in the press to predict his status, but I'll gamble that he'll understate the severity of his symptoms and play anyway.

I'm a Notre Dame fan.  Earlier this season, standout defensive end Daelin Hayes suffered a "classic" stinger that did in fact involve the brachial plexus.  Which is why I referenced it as a possible issue when Mariota's injury was described (generally) as a stinger.

However, based on your post, I did some more digging regarding the specifics of Mariota's injury.

From ProFootballDoc:

"Video does not indicate a classic stinger at all, as there was no neck or shoulder involvement. A stinger typically involves a nerve in the brachial plexus, not at the elbow."

"Mariota had a previous ulnar nerve issue at the elbow where he lost some feeling in his fourth and fifth fingers, which resulted in a weak grip. He missed the Titans’ Week 2 game and was not quite right for multiple weeks."

"My worry is this is a re-aggravation of the ulnar nerve issue.

In general, a nerve issues resolves in seconds or minutes. When it doesn't, it takes weeks (or sometimes months)."

"At this point, it seems likely the Titans will have to win with Gabbert unless they choose to play Mariota at less than 100 percent."

• Like 1

Kelly is starting to look like he's injury prone.  Some guys are just like that.  Maybe it's a run of bad luck, but it hasn't been just this season.  And the more I watch broehm, the more nervous I'm getting.  He made a couple nice blocks, but he also looked pretty bad on several plays.  Hope Kelly can play. 

6 hours ago, IinD said:

Watched the game out socially so I watched a bit at home again just to get a better feel of the game and one guy that scares me is Boehm. 

Obviously filled in admirably, but he had some really bad plays where he got totally spun around and several blocks where he flat out missed his guy when pulling. Also a few snaps around Luck's shins. Several of those breakdown plays were directly attributed to him.

Hopefully Kelly doesn't miss time.

I hope this off-season the Colts make finding a good back-up center/guard a priority.

When Kelly plays Mack can rush the ball for 130 yards. When he doesn't play Mack gets 30 yards.

• Like 1