Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Starting to Look like the Colts will be robbed of NFL Awards

Defjamz26

The Darius Leonard snub and Brady making the pro-bowl, are leading me to believe the Colts are going to get snubbed for every award except maybe two. And this article is any indication of how voting could go, so wouldn’t be shocked:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001001913/article/nfl-execs-pick-major-awards-whos-mvp-rookies-of-the-year?icampaign=trendingNews

Leonard should easily get DROY. He leads the league in tackles by 22 and he’s been doing it for 15 weeks. And he missed a game? He’s having an all-pro season. James is good but Leonard has made more game changing plays. If you combine his sacks and turnovers: 7 sacks+4 FF+1 INT. That’s 12 negative plays he’s caused on his own.

Reich should be a lock for COTY. Colts have a top 10 offense and Luck looks better than ever. 

• Like 2

There are four players that legitimately deserve DROY: Leonard, LVE, Chubb, and James. There should be no complaint if any of them win it, it won't mean Leonard got robbed if he doesn't win.

I've mostly felt that CPOY was Luck's to lose, and I think he's incredibly deserving. But JJ Watt is having a monster year as well. It will be hard to complain if he wins there.

Reich has basically no shot at COY. Not that he isn't deserving, but that award is going to go to Lynn or Nagy, and that's also understandable.

Ballard has a strong case for EOY, but so does Ryan Pace, who made bolder moves that are probably more recognizable. His trade for Mack will be credited as shifting the balance of power in the NFC East, maybe in the NFC period.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The Darius Leonard snub and Brady making the pro-bowl, are leading me to believe the Colts are going to get snubbed for every award except maybe two. And this article is any indication of how voting could go, so wouldn’t be shocked:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001001913/article/nfl-execs-pick-major-awards-whos-mvp-rookies-of-the-year?icampaign=trendingNews

Leonard should easily get DROY. He leads the league in tackles by 22 and he’s been doing it for 15 weeks. And he missed a game? He’s having an all-pro season. James is good but Leonard has made more game changing plays. If you combine his sacks and turnovers: 7 sacks+4 FF+1 INT. That’s 12 negative plays he’s caused on his own.

Reich should be a lock for COTY. Colts have a top 10 offense and Luck looks better than ever. 

I disagree about Reich being a lock for COTY, I think he should be in the running but there all the ones on the list from the linked article are worthy as well.

I agree Leonard should be ahead of James and it may still turn out that way.

Kind of hard to argue with Brees being OPY and Donald (or Mack) for DPY

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

There are four players that legitimately deserve DROY: Leonard, LVE, Chubb, and James. There should be no complaint if any of them win it, it won't mean Leonard got robbed if he doesn't win.

I've mostly felt that CPOY was Luck's to lose, and I think he's incredibly deserving. But JJ Watt is having a monster year as well. It will be hard to complain if he wins there.

Reich has basically no shot at COY. Not that he isn't deserving, but that award is going to go to Lynn or Nagy, and that's also understandable.

Ballard has a strong case for EOY, but so does Ryan Pace, who made bolder moves that are probably more recognizable. His trade for Mack will be credited as shifting the balance of power in the NFC East, maybe in the NFC period.

John Dorsey has to get some serious consideration for EOY as well.  Drafting the player who is in the running for OROY and having the front runner for DROY.  As well as the turn around.  He already has 6 times more wins this year than the previous two years combined.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

IMO Pro Bowl voting is rather a sympathy voting right now, it has less to do with players performance, I wouldn't read to much into it.

Still you could be proven right, however IMO Luck is the strongest candidate for 'Comeback Player' title, I'm biased though.

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

Reich Should have a shot. 4-12 to possibly 10-6 with a young roster? Lynn is a great coach. Let’s see how far the chargers go though. It wasn’t like they were terrible last year. They won 9 games.

Ryan Pace is being overvalued for the Mack trade IMO. I guarantee every GM called about trading for Mack and I’m sure more than a couple made offers. Raiders just like the Bears offer the best. I think signing Denico Autry who was a rotational player in Oakland, but now has 9.0 sacks and is a pro-bowl alternate is more impressive than, trading for an all-pro. Plus you take away the Mack trade and what has he done in 2018? His 1st round pick is being outplayed by Vander-Esch and Leonard. And none of the other rookies really had any noteworthy contributions. For a guy to win EOY off of one trade is absurd. I’m looking at an entire body of work (draft, FA, W/L record). I’d take John Dorsey before Ryan Pace too.

• Like 2

The award for Comeback player of the year should already have Luck’s name engraved on it IMO. If he doesn’t win that it’ll confirm that the NFL has either a bias against small market teams or still look down on the Colts for being whistleblowers on deflate gate.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

John Dorsey has to get some serious consideration for EOY as well.  Drafting the player who is in the running for OROY and having the front runner for DROY.  As well as the turn around.  He already has 6 times more wins this year than the previous two years combined.

Sorry, I read James but for some reason I was thinking Ward when I typed this for DROY.

These awards are feathers in the cap of players but hoisting

the Lombardi is the real goal. The way Ballard and Reich are

building this team, multiple titles are on their way for the 

remainder of Luck's career.

Aging star QB's as in Brady, Toothlessburger and Rivers are on 

their way out which has been an obstacle over the years.

Watch out for Mahomes though, our new nemesis may be

wearing red for the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That is what i thought.  

Watt is definitely having a brilliant season, one worthy of Comeback Player of the Year, but at least Watt played  5 games last season. Luck literally hadn't played football in 2 years and is the biggest reason why what many thought a 2 win team is currently in the thick of the playoff hunt with 2 games to go.

It would be a major L on the NFL if Luck didn't win comeback player of the year. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Reich Should have a shot. 4-12 to possibly 10-6 with a young roster? Lynn is a great coach. Let’s see how far the chargers go though. It wasn’t like they were terrible last year. They won 9 games.

Ryan Pace is being overvalued for the Mack trade IMO. I guarantee every GM called about trading for Mack and I’m sure more than a couple made offers. Raiders just like the Bears offer the best. I think signing Denico Autry who was a rotational player in Oakland, but now has 9.0 sacks and is a pro-bowl alternate is more impressive than, trading for an all-pro. Plus you take away the Mack trade and what has he done in 2018? His 1st round pick is being outplayed by Vander-Esch and Leonard. And none of the other rookies really had any noteworthy contributions. For a guy to win EOY off of one trade is absurd. I’m looking at an entire body of work (draft, FA, W/L record). I’d take John Dorsey before Ryan Pace too.

Biggest difference for the Colts is having Luck back. I know Reich's coaching has been huge, and I think he's deserving, but I think he gets somewhat penalized because of Luck's return and the primary improvements on the roster.

I think you're missing how much Pace did. The Mack trade is the headline, but they reworked their roster in one offseason, and they look like a legit SB contender. Burton, Gabriel, Lynch, Chase Daniel played really well when Trubisky was hurt. Roquan is having a good year, Daniels and Miller are both coming on as well. And Nagy is probably as strong of a COY candidate as Lynn and Reich.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Don't forget Leonards 12 tackles for loss if you are figuring negative plays. 

I don't think Reich should be a lock.   The Saints, KC, the Bears and Chargers have coaches that should be considered.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Good, I hope it motivates them so we can make a super bowl run. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Biggest difference for the Colts is having Luck back. I know Reich's coaching has been huge, and I think he's deserving, but I think he gets somewhat penalized because of Luck's return and the primary improvements on the roster.

I think you're missing how much Pace did. The Mack trade is the headline, but they reworked their roster in one offseason, and they look like a legit SB contender. Burton, Gabriel, Lynch, Chase Daniel played really well when Trubisky was hurt. Roquan is having a good year, Daniels and Miller are both coming on as well. And Nagy is probably as strong of a COY candidate as Lynn and Reich.

Okay, I can buy that but we beat Dallas shut them out and Luck wasn't much of a factor as it was our run game and defense that won that game. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

So you're saying I should not complain if LVE wins the award and he didn't get robbed from it?? I would complain heavily and that would definitely be the biggest robbery of them all.  Leonard should get it way before he does.  Its not even close imo.  I think he deserves it over all of them but for you to say there should be no complaints if LVE even won is not right.  He does not deserve it over him

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Colts and the Colts players doing well this year was not on the medias radar.  Corporate media spends a lot of time on prep, which results in them not being very flexible in reacting to reality in any unsuperficial way.  

If the Colts go to the playoffs, then the media has time to change programming narratives and the individual players might get some recognition.  Until that time, don't expect much time devoted to analyzing Colts players. 

The number one priority of the media is to protect the medias reputation and if a player gets recognition the media didn't predict then they feel like they have egg on their face.

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

One could counter this argument of Luck coming back as to why Reich should be dinged for it, but only for the offense. Look at the coaching on defense, that’s not on luck. I don’t think Reich would win it but he will be in the convo of top 3-5 probably. CB should be top 3 discussion. Luck should absolutely win it hands down. Leonard is getting some serious love on the talk circuits and of course he will have his stats to back up but there truly are 4 DROY candidates. Big Q has no shot as it’s Sanquan’s trophy already. We just have a really good football future here in the making for a good 5 year run I’d say. I’m happy with that. 

Ballard could easily win...but he won't. A big part of the Colts success is that its incumbent franchise QB returned to health. His time will come though.

Instead, Pace will win. He basically built that team...and took over a very good division...en route to a 11-12 win season.

• Like 1

This is rare but I totally disagree with you Supe that LVE legitimately deserves DROY over Leonard.  Leonard has the best linebacker stats in the ENTIRE LEAGUE.  Not just out of all rookies.  

Please show me where those other 3 candidates have the best stats for their position when compared to the entire league.  Only James is even close.  He and Chubb have the benefit of playing with other all world defenders.  Neither is even the best defender on their own team like Leonard is with us.  

I do agree that Reich isn’t gonna win over Lynn or Nagy.  But Luck & CB should be front runners as well.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

The same argument could be made if Ballard traded for Mack.  He probably would have been credited with changing the balance of power in the AFC South and maybe the AFC in general.  His award would be a slam dunk and who knows what position the Colts would be in right now.  We don't know what the Colt's offered, if anything, but the consensus is the price was too high.  It certainly will be wild if the Bears make the SB this year and that pick Oakland received this year is no. 31 or 32. 

2 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

So you're saying I should not complain if LVE wins the award and he didn't get robbed from it?? I would complain heavily and that would definitely be the biggest robbery of them all.  Leonard should get it way before he does.  Its not even close imo.  I think he deserves it over all of them but for you to say there should be no complaints if LVE even won is not right.  He does not deserve it over him

2 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

This is rare but I totally disagree with you Supe that LVE legitimately deserves DROY over Leonard.  Leonard has the best linebacker stats in the ENTIRE LEAGUE.  Not just out of all rookies.  

Please show me where those other 3 candidates have the best stats for their position when compared to the entire league.  Only James is even close.  He and Chubb have the benefit of playing with other all world defenders.  Neither is even the best defender on their own team like Leonard is with us.  

I do agree that Reich isn’t gonna win over Lynn or Nagy.  But Luck & CB should be front runners as well.

Why is everyone so against LVE? Is it because he plays the same position as Leonard? LVE is having an amazing season of his own, and is definitely worthy of DROY. If he wins it, it will be legitimate.

Same for James and Chubb. I don't know how anyone could deny that any of those three guys are worthy.

I didn't say that I think they are more worthy than Leonard, but acting like DROY is Leonard's birthright is unreasonable. If one of those other guys gets it, it doesn't mean Leonard got robbed.

EDIT: By the way, this is way different than the Pro Bowl voting. There's no way to justify Leonard not making the Pro Bowl, same for Luck. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Superman said:

These are all completely reasonable viewpoints.

2 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Okay, I can buy that but we beat Dallas shut them out and Luck wasn't much of a factor as it was our run game and defense that won that game. 

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

One could counter this argument of Luck coming back as to why Reich should be dinged for it, but only for the offense. Look at the coaching on defense, that’s not on luck. I don’t think Reich would win it but he will be in the convo of top 3-5 probably. CB should be top 3 discussion. Luck should absolutely win it hands down. Leonard is getting some serious love on the talk circuits and of course he will have his stats to back up but there truly are 4 DROY candidates. Big Q has no shot as it’s Sanquan’s trophy already. We just have a really good football future here in the making for a good 5 year run I’d say. I’m happy with that. 

I would have no problem with Reich winning it. He's been great. But realistically, I don't think he will. I'm just offering what I think the voters will be looking at, and kind of what I'd be considering if I were a voter. 

Same with Ballard, he should be in the discussion. But I think the Mack trade will put Pace over the top.

Watt has 14.5 sacks, I didn't realize that. Including two on primetime this Saturday. And the media LOVES Watt, especially after his Hurricane Harvey fundraising. He's legitimately deserving as well. 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

The Colts and the Colts players doing well this year was not on the medias radar.  Corporate media spends a lot of time on prep, which results in them not being very flexible in reacting to reality in any unsuperficial way.  

If the Colts go to the playoffs, then the media has time to change programming narratives and the individual players might get some recognition.  Until that time, don't expect much time devoted to analyzing Colts players. 

The number one priority of the media is to protect the medias reputation and if a player gets recognition the media didn't predict then they feel like they have egg on their face.

This is a very jaded, but complete accurate explanation.

I don't know if you're old enough but remember the good old days when the media reported the news rather than trying to be the news?

I don’t know who will and won’t win but there is no connection to the results from the Pro Bowl which has fan voting involved.    These awards do not.

That said...   I won’t lose a minutes  sleep over who wins and who doesn’t.   ALL of our candidates WILL get votes.

Reich, Ballard, Luck, Nelson and Leonard will all get votes.   THAT is impressive.  Not winning is not a crime.    There are other good candidates in all categories and guess what?   Their fan base thinks it would be a Crime Against Humanity if their guy doesn’t win.   Try not to read too much into any of this.  

Enjoy the ride.   Trust the process.   Feel secure that we have the right GM, the right HC,  and our top-5 QB is healthy and playing good football again. 

Good times are back and sooner than expected!   Better days are still to come.    Let’s have fun shall we?!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know who will and won’t win but there is no connection to the results from the Pro Bowl which has fan voting involved.    These awards do not.

That said...   I won’t lose a minutes  sleep over who wins and who doesn’t.   ALL of our candidates WILL get votes.

Reich, Ballard, Luck, Nelson and Leonard will all get votes.   THAT is impressive.  Not winning is not a crime.    There are other good candidates in all categories and guess what?   Their fan base thinks it would be a Crime Against Humanity if their guy doesn’t win.   Try not to read too much into any of this.  

Enjoy the ride.   Trust the process.   Feel secure that we have the right GM, the right HC,  and our top-5 QB is healthy and playing good football again. 

Good times are back and sooner than expected!   Better days are still to come.    Let’s have fun shall we?!

I agree. All I really care about is wins and losses at this point. Of course Luck staying healthy for the future as well. Only award anyone should care about is MVP of the League. It is huge winning that, glad Peyton won 5. I say that because that is the only award people truly care about. Most people can name who won the MVP 10 years ago and hardly nobody can name who won the other awards from 10 years ago. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Why is everyone so against LVE? Is it because he plays the same position as Leonard? LVE is having an amazing season of his own, and is definitely worthy of DROY. If he wins it, it will be legitimate.

Same for James and Chubb. I don't know how anyone could deny that any of those three guys are worthy.

I didn't say that I think they are more worthy than Leonard, but acting like DROY is Leonard's birthright is unreasonable. If one of those other guys gets it, it doesn't mean Leonard got robbed.

EDIT: By the way, this is way different than the Pro Bowl voting. There's no way to justify Leonard not making the Pro Bowl, same for Luck. 

Not birthright. He’s earned it.  They all have had good seasons but Leonard’s season has been better.  If all the awards are gonna be based on market size or prime time games over merit then the whole thing is a joke.  Now they all merit consideration but Leonard deserves the win because of his play on the field.  

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Superman said:

I would have no problem with Reich winning it. He's been great. But realistically, I don't think he will. I'm just offering what I think the voters will be looking at, and kind of what I'd be considering if I were a voter. 

Same with Ballard, he should be in the discussion. But I think the Mack trade will put Pace over the top.

Watt has 14.5 sacks, I didn't realize that. Including two on primetime this Saturday. And the media LOVES Watt, especially after his Hurricane Harvey fundraising. He's legitimately deserving as well. 

Not sure why you quoted me here as I kind of mirrored this. I don’t think Reich wins, I think the others are in the conversation. I think Luck however is a lock to win the CPOY award based off of his circumstances and injury. His time away was longer. His injury was much bigger in terms of return and he is the main focus of a team. Luck has returned in a huge way and at a very high level. Watts wasn’t nearly as dramatic or as long and he is a piece on a system of defense as opposed to the main piece. If Watts wins though, it won’t change anything nor will it change a thing if Luck wins. It’s an award of you were jacked up last year and came back pretty good but did it win a super bowl? That’s the main thing I personally care about. I’ll not lose 1 hours sleep if we don’t get any attention for post season accolades. 

8 hours ago, Superman said:

It's not that it's his birth right it's just hard to not be upset when a player clearly has better stats and is clearly more deserving. I agree the others are good but as another poster said Leonard is playing better than everyone at his position rookie and vetran. so how in the world can someone justify giving it to someone else when a rookie is out playing seasoned vets? Just doesn't make much logical sense to me 

• Like 1

Chris Wessling did his top 10 DPOY contenders. He has Keuchly at 4, and Leonard at 10. DL has 22 more tackles, 5 more sacks, 1 more pass defended, 2 more FF's and 1 more fumble recovery than Luke. They both have 1 interception. So DL wins unanimously on points! I know it is more than just stats, but the eye test also passes muster. Vet reputation must also swing a lot of the rankings, even although these mildly interesting awards are supposed to be about the current season only. That said, for DL to be named in that 'company' in his rookie year is jolly nice.......